Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 367: Keith Hampshire

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 367In this 367th episode, Mike chats with Keith Hampshire about his successful recording career, his work in TV and radio, and most importantly, his performance on OK Blue Jays. This episode is exactly 1:40:16.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Keith Hampshire and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

FYI: "Pirate Radio"/"The Boat That Rocked" was a 2009 film with Philip Seymour Hoffman
that attempted to capture the time/cultural period described by Mr. Hampshire in this
episode. North American version was apparently butchered, but the performances and
music were otherwise great.

August 15, 2018 @ 2:05 PM

bsmntdwllr73

What an incredible voice and fantastic stories as well. A tightly-packed episode. Glad
to hear "Daytime, Night-Time" so prominently featured. Those commercial and cartoon
voice-overs at the end were priceless. A not-so-subtle reminder of a very golden era in
the Canadian entertainment industry. And as for "OK Blue Jays", was really quite surprised
when i originally found out who the main singer was. Didn't sound at all like the hits he
was previously identified with. Quite the vocal chameleon!

August 15, 2018 @ 3:34 PM

Terry Corcoran

What a great interview. One of my all-time favourite Toronto DJs with a fabulous backstory and life story.

I just somehow knew those damn CKFH turntables were tweaked! I will indeed sleep well tonight after waiting fifty years for that answer!

August 15, 2018 @ 5:50 PM

markosaar

Holy crap that Mad Hatter song was an unexpected flashback to my childhood. Reading Wikipedia about it now, I didn't know it was a local production by Nelvana.

August 15, 2018 @ 5:54 PM

Steal

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Great stories!!

August 17, 2018 @ 1:15 PM

Anon&on

This was great! Fantastic!! Gotta be a Top Ten TO Mike'd hit! Awww, Big Time Operator was easily my favourite ( and seems appropriate to his story, he's done it all). There's still time, maybe they'll come around on it.

August 17, 2018 @ 9:10 PM

Michael Lange

Such a terrific episode, he’s interesting, articulate, and sounds great. So was his guest, Keith Hampshire! Truth be told, the name Keith Hampshire didn't resonate with me. But I absolutely remember his songs from my much younger years. His version of First Cut is the Deepest is the best by far. I’ve searched online for the version I described as The One with the Horns, and never found it. Yet as soon as I heard the first few notes here, I instantly recognized it as the one I was looking for. You must have Keith back for some serious jam-kicking.

August 18, 2018 @ 9:56 AM