Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 364: The Many Deaths of Tom Thomson

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 364In this 364th episode, Mike chats with Dr. Gregory Klages about the life of Tom Thomson and the mythology surrounding his death in Algonquin Park in 1917 at the young age of 39. This episode is exactly 1:22:49.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Dr. Gregory Klages and me

Tom Thomson

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Your new mission to add to an already jam-packed professional and personal schedule:
Go behind the music(!) on as many historical/topical Tragically Hip songs as you possibly
can! You've already covered "50 Mission Cap" and now "3 Pistols", so that is definitely a
good start. "Wheat Kings" next, if you are open to taking requests from a pest like me?!?
BTW, what's going on with that once-mentioned Tragically Hip album-by-album w/celeb.
guests project? I eagerly await the self-titled EP. "Road Apples" and "Day For Night" episodes.

August 7, 2018 @ 12:41 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'm doing that Hip project with Tyler Campbell, and if he shows up to the Toronto Mike'd Listener Experience on September 12, we'll have something to say about it then.

August 7, 2018 @ 1:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks for the update!! The eventual episodes on the group's later albums will be essential
listening for those of us, like myself, who checked out earlier (for various reasons) along the way.

As for this episode, very fascinating and a nice break from the usual format. Parts of this story
sounded an awful lot like the events surrounding the death of Gram Parsons and the Joshua
Tree mythology immediately afterwards. Thanks to this intriguing interview, I just placed a
hold on this gentleman's book at TPL.

August 7, 2018 @ 2:03 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I had to put the Hip series on hold because I was focusing on the launch of TMDS. We're going to do it, though... in the fall.

August 7, 2018 @ 2:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Mike
Completely understandable. Gotta first concentrate on bringing home the proverbial bacon!!
Like their fantastic song proudly proclaims:"Well Worth the Wait!!!"

August 7, 2018 @ 2:13 PM

Rick C in Oakville

The death of Thomson has always fascinated me since I remember a number of teachers mentioning it to our classes over the years. A real whodunit with the circumstances, body wrapped in fishing line, possible romantic links etc
Nice change up to your programming.

August 7, 2018 @ 10:44 PM

markosaar

I hope this sort of thing becomes a more regular part of the podcast. I absolutely loved it.

I enjoy the deep dives into the lives/histories of media personalities, but so few of them are particularly of note to me (though often their stories turn out to be relatable).

August 8, 2018 @ 10:49 AM

LieveFamke

Great episode! You need more to do more like this! Maybe some historical whodunits from Toronto and its surroundings!

August 8, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Mike Filey, a longtime columnist for the Toronto Sun, would definitely make for an interesting guest
along similar lines. He covered the local historical beat seemingly for decades.

August 8, 2018 @ 10:57 AM

@LieveFamke

Thanks!

Six year in, I'm itching to try different things, like this ep and the Horseshoe Tavern one...

August 8, 2018 @ 10:58 AM

Gregory Klages

As Mike's guest on Ep.364, I'm really pleased so many of you enjoyed the episode.

If you'd like to buy 'The Many Deaths of Tom Thomson' book, you can find it at most of your major bricks'n'mortar & online retailers, or order direct from my publisher, Dundurn Press, at:

You can see upcoming speaking/book signing engagements, as well as read some post-publication essays at:

You can find the website we discuss, 'Death On A Painted Lake: The Tom Thomson Tragedy', at: http://www.canadianmysteries.ca/sites/thomson/home/indexen.html

August 8, 2018 @ 3:39 PM