Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 361: Bill King

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 361In this 361st episode, Mike chats with jazz musician Bill King about his career in music, working on the radio, running The Beaches International Jazz Festival and what the heck went wrong at JAZZ.FM91. This episode is exactly 1:49:41.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Bill King and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Now I've got that almighty Chambers Brothers track stuck in my head and so I might be
forced to log-out of this episode prematurely in order to go and indulge myself in some
full-length "Time Has Come Today" immediately!!" TIME!!! P.S., I love that "Goodbye Superdad"
track as I've not been exposed to it previously.,

July 31, 2018 @ 6:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

One of my favourite episodes of the year after the Stu Stone and Cam Gordon eps. Mr. King's boundless passion for music is most admirable and his analysis of the current F'ed up situation at JazzFm was well-measured and quite logical, at least to my long-time-listening ears. I also really enjoyed the excerpts from his days in that band China. Sure wish I had been hip to them back then 'cause I certainly would have bought their album! Plus, the brief mentions of bands such as Shadowfaxand UZEB were most appreciated. A real shame that there isn't a place for music like that on terrestrial radio anymore. Ya, I know, time to get with these modern times and start doin't things
in a more digital fashion!

August 1, 2018 @ 10:49 AM

LieveFamke

Really interesting episode. Definitely need him back to KOTJ! But I think you glossed over somethings.. his military experience? his Evangelical upbringing? (yes, the alcohol was covered but not the fact that he went into rock music aka the devil's music and pot/hash smoking was ok but not drinking?!?)

August 2, 2018 @ 9:38 AM

@LieveFamke

He'll be back. We'll jump, jive and juxtapose all that then.

August 2, 2018 @ 1:33 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Awesome stories from Bill! His KOTJ episode will definitely be a fun listen for me.

August 8, 2018 @ 4:38 PM

Steve

This was an excellent interview - Had no idea Mr. King was so accomplished! A very polite, humble man too. I can dig where he was coming from being raised in a strict evangelical protestant home too!

BTW Mike, would it be a good idea to encourage people to comment on Patreon rather than here? I actually thought when I supported you on Patreon that it would be the hub. Maybe it would encourage people to subscribe via micro payments too ... You never know.
I love the concept of micro payments, as a person on a limited fixed income it allows me to support worthy endeavors that I wish I could support in a larger way. Surely all of your listeners can afford to pay a micro-payment, if an individual like moi can - just saying.

September 4, 2018 @ 8:29 PM

@Steve

I really should be pushing the Patreon more, and I really need to come up with some value-add for Patrons. I intend to focus on this.

When Bill comes back to kick out the jams, we're going to dive into that strict evangelical upbringing.

September 4, 2018 @ 9:09 PM