Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 360: Muffy Mouse

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 360In this 360th episode, Mike chats with voice actress and puppeteer Nina Keogh about her work at CBC and TVO, especially her performance as Muffy Mouse on Today's Special. This episode is exactly 1:35:07.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Muffy Mouse and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Bear

Love the old clips!

Nostalgia!

July 28, 2018 @ 7:43 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I lived in a group home for a year when I was 6 and one of the older kids named Owen was
autistic and he was a total dead ringer for Mr. Dressup's Casey, 'cept for the extremely non-
verbal part!! Wonder what ever happened to that kid?!? As for The Polka Dot Door, I think that
most kids of at least a room temperature IQ were easily able to figure out that Polkaroo scam!!
The show really lost something when it made the sad move to putting actors in costumes to
portray Bear, Marigold, Humpty and Dumpty. I guess kids' imaginations were starting to wane
long before the introduction of Mr. Jobs' and Mr. Gates' infernal tech!!!

July 28, 2018 @ 10:09 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Nice name-checking of "Team America: World Police." Best ever use of marionettes cinematically as far as I'm concerned, sorry "Thunderbirds"!!! Although that new Brian Henson hybrid humans and puppets movie "The Happytime Murders" coming out very shortly might rival TAWP for best use
of props seemingly meant to amuse children, instead trotted out as bawdy adult entertainment!!

P.S., that clip of the over-served Phil on Today's Special really made me uncomfortable!! Very
glad I missed it the first time around. Think I'm gonna go down a big chocolate milk for some tasty
consolation very shortly!!

July 28, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
That Guido Basso music is super snazzy!! He'd make for a great Toronto Mike'd guest (as long
as he'd be willing, of course!!). What a fantastic episode!!

July 28, 2018 @ 11:38 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I've had that Guido Basso music loaded up since Retrontario visited last year! It is super snazzy.

@all

Speaking of Retrontario, he shared this picture of Nina and Gordon Thompson on the set of Polka Dot Door back in '71.

July 28, 2018 @ 9:00 PM

R

Nina Keogh seems like such a joy! I'm a huge Muppet nerd with a big fascination with puppets, and I also really enjoy my childhood Canadian Television memories. It's so nice to learn about someone who's been all over my childhood. Thank for this interview, Mike!

July 29, 2018 @ 4:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Very cool, this was a must watch for my kids growing up. Surprised Polka Dot Door was around when I was around 10 years old, but given my parents didn't have cable, I lived in a 7 or 8 channel over the air world.

July 29, 2018 @ 5:10 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

But you must have got TVO!

Although 10 is a little old for Polka Dot Door....

July 29, 2018 @ 7:37 PM

Pete

Great interview! Is there anywhere to watch the Muffy/butterfly bit?

August 1, 2018 @ 8:16 AM

@Pete

I just went hunting and couldn't find it anywhere, so I uploaded it to my channel.

August 1, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

Pete

Beauty, thanks! I tried finding it as well after listening to the pod last night. Keep up the great interviews!

August 1, 2018 @ 8:27 AM

Scott

Today's Special definitely aired in the States. I lived there as a kid for a few years and remember watching it on Nickelodeon. I hadn't seen it for years and was too old for it when I moved back here, but remember being excited to realize it was Canadian and took place in Toronto when I was flipping channels and saw it on TVO!

August 1, 2018 @ 8:28 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Nostalgia overload! I loved Today's Special! Great episode! I too was a TVO kid.

August 8, 2018 @ 3:51 PM

You know you were a TVO kid when you still can't watch Doctor Who without flashing back to that scary as shit opening we had in the late 70s / early 80s, right after Polka Dot Door.

August 8, 2018 @ 4:33 PM