Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 356: Sports Jams

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 356In this 356th episode, Mike and special guest Mark Hebscher play and discuss their favourite sports jams. This episode is exactly 1:42:55.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Hebsy and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Sensus Design & Build.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   Sensus Design and Build

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

Time to build a bunkhouse out back for Mr. Hebscher!! 3 mothership appearances in two weeks. I'm
wondering if that is a Toronto Mike'd guest record?!?

July 9, 2018 @ 12:37 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
The Lighting Seeds did have other good jams, ya know!! Much prefer that New Order
World Cup tune!!

July 9, 2018 @ 1:28 PM

bsmntdwllr73

FYI: Hall and Oates guest-starred in that particular episode of SCTV in which the "Chariots of Eggs" parody was featured. Minor correction: Jan Hammer, not Vangelis, wrote and performed the theme song for Miami Vice.

July 9, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

Urooj Islam

Mark Hebscher should just move in with you at this point, he's already there almost every day.

July 9, 2018 @ 2:48 PM

@Urooj Islam

I offered him my shed.

July 9, 2018 @ 3:44 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I plead ignorance on the other Lightning Seeds songs. I'm sure they're all fabulous.

Personally speaking, at this time, I'm taking Three Lions over World In Motion, but if you ask me again in six months I may have a different answer!

July 9, 2018 @ 3:46 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Probably because it is the fresher track (for YOU!) at this time. As for other songs by the Lightning
Seeds, they were in fairly regular rotation on The Edge in the early nineties.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not remark that Hebsy's fourth and fifth jams are two of the best
songs ever featured in the KOTJ format. No joke!! A little disappointed that neither of you choose
the immortal "You're the Best" by Joe "Bean"Esposito from The Karate Kid!!!

July 9, 2018 @ 3:50 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I recently played You're the Best for either Jay or Dan, and they didn't know it. I was soooo disappointed.

July 9, 2018 @ 4:04 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I remember, and they are both in the correct age group that it should be in their pop cultural
sweet spot!! Plus, it was used in a memorable South Park episode featuring the legendary
Randy Marsh character ("The Losing Edge, Season Edge, Season 9, Episode 5, 2005). Sorry
I'm so anal 'bout such things, but Wikipedia/IMDB kinda make it easy to get the details right!
But don't worry, I never cheat when I compete in trivia contests!!

July 9, 2018 @ 4:09 PM

dale

You both missed even talking about the best sports songs ever.
You Will Never Walk Alone - National anthem for 1st division England soccer team (discussed but not a fave).
Tom Cochrane's Big League another.

July 9, 2018 @ 6:19 PM

markosaar

This one goes out to bsmntdwllr73: Pop Will Eat Itself featuring BNeg√£o - Reclaim the Game (Funk FIFA)

Haven't listened to the podcast yet (I lost my 'biking' headphones), but my top sports jam is Gretzky Rocks by TPOH. I absolutely adore this song and video.

I feel a bit like a broken record talking about TPOH lately hah.

July 9, 2018 @ 8:24 PM

Beer Store

Hebsy used to have to go to the beer store.

Now he just goes to TorontoMike's!

July 10, 2018 @ 12:30 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Thanks, I guess?!? Perhaps you should throw your proverbial hat into the ring and offer
up your services to the somewhat reactivated TPOH as their grassroots local PR person,
digital division? Now kindly do excuse me while I go and dial up "Love Theme From
TPOH" on my best friend Youtube!!

July 10, 2018 @ 2:38 PM

@Beer Store

He got a six pack for his episode 352, and another yesterday for the Sports Jams episode, but that's it. He didn't get one for the Brady ep, nor does he get any for Hebsy on Sports, which we record twice a week.

July 10, 2018 @ 3:04 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Good to hear, or with his recurring status, your next sponsor might need to be a rehab
clinic!!

July 10, 2018 @ 3:13 PM

dunf

Obviously, neither of you self-declared baseball weenies have heard Dave Frishberg's Dodger Blue.

Fix that now. Here's to the team, and here's to the dream....

July 11, 2018 @ 5:12 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Monster Trick's "The Enforcer" from their 2016 album 'Sittin Heavy' is another great under-the-radar
sports jam. Great guitar/organ interplay, a pounding beat and the pre-requisite gang vocals!!
Something needs to replace "We Will Rock You" after 41 years, right?!? Heaviosity at its finest.

July 14, 2018 @ 9:58 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, Monster Truck. Not quite sure what a monster trick is!!

July 14, 2018 @ 9:59 AM