Greatest Blue Jays Defensive Plays

I haven't watched much Blue Jays baseball these past two months. I watched quite a bit in April, but by mid-May I found myself doing other things. It was clear the Jays weren't contending for a title this year, and I found myself more inspired by their AA team, so I decided to take a break.

On reddit today, there was a discussion about the greatest Blue Jays defensive plays of all-time. That post has inspired his one.

Here are five of the greatest defensive plays in Blue Jays history.

Roberto Alomar vs. Lenny Dykstra

Josh Donaldson vs. David DeJesus

Buck Martinez vs. Broken Leg

Kevin Pillar vs. Luke Maile

Devon White vs. David Justice

Superman

You could've just done a Kevin Pillar highlight video & you wouldn't be wrong.

p.s. I still remember the rocket arm of Barfield out in right field.

July 11, 2018 @ 10:40 AM

Broni

@Superman
You're right. I found myself thinking "my favourite Pillar catch is when he scaled the wall a few years back", and then I realized I was arguing with myself. Perhaps Pillar deserves his own Top 5 list.

July 11, 2018 @ 11:53 AM

Rick

Wow - all 5 of those are fantastic. I'd have to give the slight nod to the World Series ones, as they came at such pivotal times. I think the Devo catch would be the winner for me And it should have been a Triple Play. Only thing about that in hindsight is that at least it was the fault of the no good Kelly Gruber who made it 'not' happen at the end!

July 11, 2018 @ 3:03 PM

For whatever reason, I didn't want to pick plays where the outfielder pulls back an HR. Of course those are great plays, and there are a few great ones in Blue Jays history, but I personally don't have any of them top five.

And yes, there were a few Pillar catches that could have been up here, but I decided to go with my personal favourite.

July 11, 2018 @ 3:17 PM

Urooj Islam

Ben Revere's catch in Game 6 of the 2015 ALCS, would have obviously meant more if the Jays won the game and went on to win the series but it saved the game at the time.

I just wanted to reminisce about the 2015 Jays. What a team, never seen Toronto and pretty much most of the rest of Canada united like that behind one team that isn't Team Canada hockey.

July 11, 2018 @ 10:47 PM

markosaar

Only related because it's the Jays, but I just stumbled across this nifty trivia about Buck Martinez pitching: https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1008156&position=P

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Torontobluejays/comments/8yd65h/til_buck_martinez_pitched_1_inning_for_the/

July 12, 2018 @ 6:29 PM

Andonandon

Re Alomar catch. The only W.S. game I have ever been to and witnessed the catch from behind the left field fence in the lower level. Amazed at the time and still am! Btw, ticket was $75............which seemed pretty pricing at the time! :)

July 12, 2018 @ 6:48 PM

BFD

I can't argue that top five. I could maybe sub in 4 other Kevin Pillar catches for the one you posted. These clips are all unforgettable plays.

July 14, 2018 @ 4:00 PM