Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 334: Evelyn Macko

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 334In this 334th episode, Mike chats with news broadcaster Evelyn Macko about her years at CFTR, Q107, 640 and 1010. This episode is exactly 2:03:48.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Evelyn Macko and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Stafford

Ev's one of the best I've worked with in 40 years of this stupid biz.

May 10, 2018 @ 3:06 PM

Rick C in Oakville

What a familiar voice, really enjoyed this episode!

May 10, 2018 @ 9:54 PM

Axel

Great voice, great episode, great podcast!

May 10, 2018 @ 10:13 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Just started listening but must clarify that I believe Gryfe's bagels is pronounced more akin
to wife and less like Professor Griff of Public Enemy infamy!! Great bagels nonetheless, and her
voice is instantly recognizable and utterly fantastic!!

May 11, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I can't be the only one who finds it somewhat ironic that veteran news radio (and TV as well)
personalities find themselves aged/priced out of the local market, only to wind-up teaching their
hard-earned craft to the very same people who often figuratively replace them, can I? It's a real
shame regardless of the economic realities involved. Her vivid recollections of past historic events immediately took me back to where I was at those particular times. A true talent and a travesty that
there isn't a legitimate position for her in the local media market.

@Mike
Whatever you have to do (within economic reason, of course!!), hopefully you will be able to find
a way to get the legendary Dick Smyth to participate in a future episode!! And I know that distance
also played a part in Peter Silverman's unavailability as well. Thank to the intrepid likes of Retrontario and Youtube, their curmudgeonly brilliance will forever be digitally preserved!!

May 11, 2018 @ 2:22 PM

Brandon

I enjoyed this listen! The runtime allowed covering a lot of territory but it didn't drag. Along the lines of bsmntdwllr73's comment, sad when she said "No one would have me" before reinventing herself as an instructor.

Interesting to hear her mention being paired up with Chris Mavridis. I know Chris did a bunch of stuff alongside Ryan Doyle at 1010 in Doyle's earlier years at the station, then did 1010 morning news (I believe during the Bill Carroll morning show era?) before leaving for a gig at CBS New York.

May 12, 2018 @ 8:20 AM

MississaugaAndrew

What a classy, graceful and beautiful guest! Mike, if you were her student, you'd totally be either on the Dean's list or you'd hit the threshold of Magna Cum Laude!

Your segues and drops a-re of seasoned and professional quality and the music... well... don't get me started. I feel like I'm 5-years old again with a yearning-for-the-babysitter-crush every time the Nana Mouskouri bass line kicks in!

When you have Evelyn back for KOTJ, play "Smile" and remind her that its author is none other than Charlie Chaplin!

This episode was very special and nostalgic for me in the same way that the Mike Stafford and David Marsden episodes were -- any chance on either returning for KOTJ or Deeper Dives?

Keep up the amazing work!

May 13, 2018 @ 1:33 AM

@MississaugaAndrew

Thanks!

And good news! Stafford returned to kick out the jams!

David Marsden politely declined as he doesn't believe in such lists.

May 13, 2018 @ 7:00 AM