Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 327: Bill Brioux

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 327In this 327th episode, Mike chats with Bill Brioux about his years at TV Guide and The Toronto Sun and TV... lots and lots of TV, from Hill Street Blues to Breaking Bad. This episode is exactly 2:10:32.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Bill Brioux and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rockgolf

I feel like I was interviewed in absenstia! Cool!

ps: In case anyone was confused, Pat Bullock & I share first names but are different people. I was in the same year as his brother Paul.

April 17, 2018 @ 3:53 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Just started listening to this and it got me thinking that another former longtime Toronto
Sun staffer would also make for a great guest: Jim Slotek!! Not sure if you have ever reached
out to him or not.

April 18, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Ask and ye shall receive!

I will reach out to Jim Slotek.

April 18, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks!! I'm sure that his decades of service to the House of Donato/'Quebec Horseback Riding
Enthusiasts!" would be well worth a couple o' hours of da Real Talk, only if he is willing, of course!!

April 18, 2018 @ 9:34 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
You needed to blast that sweet Bob James' "Angela (Theme From Taxi)" track at a higher volume.
Now I'll have to go dig it up later at home or make a quick detour to YouTube!!

April 18, 2018 @ 9:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Wonder Years is a show that doesn't get enough love or credit. As for the music rights video snafu, the studio should have just buckled down and paid through the mouth to use the original, inferior(!!)
Beatles' version of that definitive Cocker classic!!

April 18, 2018 @ 10:05 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Yes, it's got to be that Cocker cover... no substitute will work!

At one point Married With Children didn't pay for the Sinatra song and they used a sound-alike (but different) song. Imagine that!

April 18, 2018 @ 10:07 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Well, in the case of Married With Children, they could have simply bought Joe Piscopo a two-four
or a couple of eightballs and he would have given them a near facsimile!! Now there's a dude
who has long been in need of an epic milk carton comeback appearance!!

April 18, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

bsmntdwllr73

I proudly never 'bought' the Sun for the sports section!! Pretty much lost interest when the
Sunshne Boy was decommissioned!!!!! Nowadays, I only see it when I hit up Pizzaville, where they
sometimes have it available for free. Or occasionally, I'll find it abandoned on a Sunday and have
the rare opportunity of trying to predict the next Steve Simmons controversy!!!

April 18, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Took me a couple of days to find the time to listen to the second half of this episode but it was
well worth it! I could have listened to this conversation for at least another couple of hours without
hesitation!! And Bill's music pick really hit the spot. Absolutely love that kind of classic R and B!!
Thanks!

April 20, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I'm sure that his KOTJ episode will be outstanding and perhaps there will even be a lot more TV
talk as well?!? Now filled with great anticipation for the forthcoming Jim Slotek appearance, as his
purview was much wider during his decades of Toronto Sun excellence (not words I would generally
use when talking 'bout that particular newspaper, at least in its current threadbare incarnation!!!)

April 20, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I would never have Bill Brioux on without more TV talk.

April 20, 2018 @ 10:04 AM