Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 324: Gord Stellick

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 324In this 324th episode, Mike chats with Gord Stellick about his years working for Harold Ballard, being the youngest GM in NHL history, his transition to broadcasting, The Fan 1430 and 590 and what he's up to now. This episode is exactly 2:21:02.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Gord Stellick and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

You guys have the same barber ?

Asking for a friend.

April 11, 2018 @ 3:38 PM

@Beatts

I'll have to ask Gord if my wife cuts his hair.

April 11, 2018 @ 3:43 PM

Nostalgia Junkie

Excellent trip down memory lane with Gord. I didn't want it to end!

April 11, 2018 @ 4:09 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Haven't listened to this one yet as it is hard to find that kind of consecutive time in the busy TPL
system. One question: Currently in desperate need of a haircut and a little bit reluctant to return
to the inexpensive Tibetan barbershop in my Parkdale hood. The dude gets a little too close with
the razor and has probably never cut such a luxurious male mane before!! Most of his clientele
tend to opt for a recreation of Kid from Kid 'n Play's spectacular throwback hairdo. What's the
going rate at your house? Not asking for a friend, BTW!!

April 11, 2018 @ 4:13 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

I'd help you if I could, bud! But my beautiful barber doesn't even like cutting my hair and would kill me if I brought her home another client!

April 11, 2018 @ 4:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Not a problem. Just tryin' to be funny!! The first and last time I went to that Tibetan barber I was
definitely from the 'one of these things is not like the other file' and the other clientele were getting
impatient with the amount of time it took for my haircut to be completed (one man operation and
all that). Don't think I'd look to good with a fade haircut, although it definitely worked for many
rappers back in the day!!! Perhaps I should try get it styled like Larry Blackmon, that codpiece
wearing dude from Cameo of "Word Up" infamy?!?

April 11, 2018 @ 4:26 PM

Urooj Islam

Gord is a great dude, miss Stellick and Landry so much.

One of the most underrated Toronto radio shows of the 21st century.

April 11, 2018 @ 6:20 PM

chuck99

I have not a chance to listen yet, but I am not surprised that this episode runs for over 2 hrs. Gord has had such an interesting career and has so many great stories to tell.

April 11, 2018 @ 10:08 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Not that it meant anything to me as I was an uninformed bookworm (proudly still!!), but my father pointed out King Clancy to me at Greenwood Racetrack in the summer of 1986, a couple of months
before he passed away!

April 12, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

James Edgar

Wow that was definitely a 2 hours in 20 minutes experience. Really like Gord always have. I'd be fine with him back on mornings anytime. great hearing about the Ballard years.

April 12, 2018 @ 11:03 AM

MrTwister

Enjoyed that tremendously. Always liked Gord. Smart and a natural storyteller. He could do 8 hrs np. I was hoping he would expand on the Leaf adultery messes when he talked about Wregget. So many rumours back in the day and clearly some were true. It used to piss me off how the sports media in this town would never touch any of those stories, never break the sacred code of protecting athletes. I am not naive and get it but still I would have liked to hear Gord's pov on that cultural phenomenon since he was and is a prominent part of the so called sports journalism in this town.

April 12, 2018 @ 2:22 PM

Bob Canuck

MrTwister,

There is no need for the fans to know about the turmoil within the personal lives of the athletes and, by extension, for the media to report it. The tearing apart of relationships affects many people, including spouses, children, other family members, and friends. Surely, just out of a sense of common decency, you can see that retention of some amount of privacy for these people outweighs the marginal public interest in knowing about these matters.

April 12, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Not Quite Mike

Could have listened to Mr. Stellick for hours.

Mike, you remarked how Jerry Howarth let the crowd tell the story after the Joey Bats' legendary homerun and batflip. You did exactly the same thing here - letting the guest tell his story and not getting in his way.

An refreshingly honest take on the world of the Maple Leafs and the circus it can be - elephants and all!

Kudos, Mike - this was one great anecdote after another! Thanks for all you do!

April 12, 2018 @ 8:46 PM

dale

That was great & could have listened to Gord for a longer time.
Can't wait until tomorrow with Dan Shulman & don't forget if time to ask my question to him I sent earlier,
I cannot believe the guests you have been able to get on your podcasts. TOO many to mention.
Too bad the Leafs are done with this game, but tomorrow is anther day.
Great work Mike overall.

April 12, 2018 @ 9:36 PM

Anonymous

Yes there is a need to know about players personal lives if they bring it onto the ice. I think anything that affects the on ice product, especially if it causes a trade, is fair game.

If the players are concerned for their loved ones, they'd keep it in their pants with teammates' wives.

Having said that, there's a difference between reporting every salacious detail (TMZ style), and a professionally written story.

April 13, 2018 @ 7:01 AM

When Gord opened the door slightly re: the rumours we'd all hear in the playground re: Leafs (I recently had one big one confirmed to me) I almost stepped in. I was about to pounce but decided not to put Gord in that position.

In retrospect, I'm glad I showed restraint there.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:48 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

Odds of Dan Shulman having a ceiling encounter at some point today, even with proper notice: 4:1

I have not had time to listen in full to IMO your best ever week of podcast guests, counting Michael Hainsworth upcoming on Monday that is 4 in a week. I caught only about 20 minutes of Gord and was completely engaged.

Not sure how you can top this week other than getting McCown and Deitsch with a solid 3rd or 4th, as my favourite episodes have and always will be your sports media personalities. So Shulman/Stellick vs McCown/Deitsch that would be a tough one to call.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:51 AM

@Brian

Richard Deitsch has told me he'll do the podcast, he just wants to get settled in first. Hopefully we do it this summer.

As for Bob, quite frankly, I've asked him a couple of times now and he's said he's not particularly interested, so I've now completely lost interest. I'm not going to beg him to come on my podcast. I have no plans to ask him again.

April 13, 2018 @ 8:55 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

I would not give up on Bob quite yet Mike, his response that he did a deep dive with Deitsch in the past year and I saw another one in print as well not that long ago, he just needs a few years to do it again. I would just wait until 2019 and not even pitch him yourself, but have one of your past guests propose it who is in touch with him. By then he will have new material to discuss in his career, and having Brunt/Deitsch with him after that extended run would qualify IMO, as I expect to see their ratings to be at record levels.

I find right now that there is so much quality to follow between your podcasts and PTS that I am having a tough time to keep up. Now I have Dan Schulman's podcast as well which is a must listen.

April 13, 2018 @ 9:20 AM

@Brian

If Bob contacts me and says he's ready to come on, I'll happily have him on. There's no doubt about it.

But I'm pretty sure I'm done asking him. If anyone else wants to talk him into it, by all means, proceed!

April 13, 2018 @ 9:27 AM

elvis

Gord is downloaded. I will be listening this weekend.

April 13, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

Anonymous

Mike I think that's fair enough not to pursue it in your venue.

For journalists at the time, when it makes a difference in the on-ice product, then that's a different story.

April 13, 2018 @ 2:38 PM

max power

stellick is the "baba booey" of toronto sports, a semi likable half-wit who was in the right place at the right time. if ballard doesnt give the job of gm to this most incompetent boob we would never have heard of him. Neil Smith quickly realized this with the rangers and fired him 1 year into a 3 year deal, who gets fired as asst gm?!! . notice no hockey job offer since,he is a laughing stock in nhl circles. he is milquetoast, vanilla, blah, never has anything interesting, controversial or funny to say and he is not what I would consider a "bright" guy. he was lucky enough to be around to see and hear these stories happening in his orbit, but nothing happens to him. reminds me of gomer pyle or forrest gump, he Is literally the "black hole" of charisma. landry and stellick on 590 was like revenge of the nerds, two of the geekiest most unathletic guys talking about sports, no thank you! On a good note, he does have a thick head of hair.

April 14, 2018 @ 8:39 AM

@max power

I take it you're not interested in joining the Gord Stellick fan club...

April 14, 2018 @ 8:57 AM

Max power

To quote hangover 2, “ gord stellick is the khao of Toronto, Khao is soft white rice in lukewarm water. It has no taste. It has no flavor, no spice. Befitted to small babies and very old people. It is nourishment that everyone can digest”. He is pablum. Goes to show you how bereft of on air radio talent this city is. The most diverse city in the world has zero different voices in sports media. It’s all incredibly boring middle aged white guys blowharding their opinions. That is so boring, slight exceptions given to PTS and overdrive. It’s an embarrassment to these stations and programming directors. The rest are all obnoxious interchangeable talking heads with nothing interesting to say. There’s no journalism happening here, opinions are not journalism. No investigative stories, just blather. Thank god for podcasts and satellite radio. I am no longer at the mercy of Toronto radio.

April 14, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

Al The Royal Pain

This one is in my top 10 TM episodes. I loved it. I always knew Stellick had a freakish memory and that usually makes for great storytelling. Brian was right, this is probably your strongest stretch of episodes ever. Just finished Shulman's as well and I can't believe his story of how he was discovered by ESPN. Well done Mike!

April 17, 2018 @ 10:39 AM