Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 322: Tara Slone

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 322In this 322nd episode, Mike chats with Tara Slone about her years with Joydrop, her experience on Rock Star: INXS, co-hosting Rogers Hometown Hockey with Ron MacLean and more. This episode is exactly 1:33:57.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Tara Slone and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Always great to hear some Sloan and as much as I enjoy "Underwhelmed", "Money City Maniacs"
will always be my ultimate track by that band as it is probably one of the finest AC/DC musical
tributes ever recorded, only with more literate lyrics, LOL!!

April 5, 2018 @ 2:28 PM

bsmntdwllr73

"Makes Me Wanna Die" has always been my favourite Joydrop track and that second album smoked
that first platter by a wide country mile, along with that "American Dream Girl" track. Funny how
Nickelback were able to build a lasting career out of "How You Remind Me" post-9-11. No justice
there whatsoever in my opinion!! @Mike Drowning Pool= "Bodies" Also, still thankful to this day
that Tommy Lee kept his junk in check for the filming of that particular video!!

April 5, 2018 @ 3:04 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Once again I'm a dark horse in choosing my favourite songs by a particular band, in this case
INXS, and they are "Original Sin" and "Not Enough Time", or perhaps even "This Time" in a pinch.

April 5, 2018 @ 3:32 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Original Sin is the first INXS song I ever heard. But then I loved Kick so much and played that cassette so often I had to pull my favourite from there.

April 5, 2018 @ 3:37 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks to Toronto Rocks and early Much Music and their initial years as a serious musical
enterprise, INXS were heavily promoted. They were kind of old but still great hat to me by the
time that Kick came out. Always felt that they never got a fair shake in North America (well,
perhaps the U.S,), after their X album in 1990. "Welcome To Wherever" from 1992 is a terrific album,
and "Heaven Sent" is another track that might also be my fave depending on the day or lunar cycle!!

April 5, 2018 @ 3:42 PM

Irv

Speaking of INXS..basement.

I believe this was the first song I ever heard on CFNY 102.1. They layered it with "The Spirit of Radio" ID and I was hooked. If you notice in the video Micheal H (singer) has that almost 80's new wave makeup hair thing going on. He looked WAY better in the later years.

April 5, 2018 @ 3:42 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
Also a great track along with "To Look At You" and "Don't Change" from their third album
"Shabooh Shoobah". Bruce Springsteen did a great version of "Don't Change" while on tour
in Australia back in 2014.

April 5, 2018 @ 3:45 PM

Irv

@Basement

Yes, I love the band and I think they still sound pretty current & timeless. Side not "Never Tear Us Apart" was the song for my one time GF (baby Mama). I used to play it for her on Sax (I play Alto and Tenor since Grade 7). Used to sit and busk with this other black guy on 4th Street in Mission in Calgary out front of the liquor store. #JazzBaby. Sadly, I don't own a sax at the moment and won't for a bit. A good piece is like 5 grand.

April 5, 2018 @ 3:56 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
I've always been envious of anyone with the ability to play a musical instrument. I tried
guitar, keyboards, clarinet, harmonica but my complete lack of dexterity and perhaps talent
prevented me from pursuing this even for fun. So of course I went the other way and became
a total collector, cough hoarder(!!) of music, and I try to check out as any concerts as my ASD
permits (mostly free outdoor concerts as they are free and usually provide for more personal
space). Big fan of various jazz formats/genres as well. Hope you get your hands on a sax ASAP!!

April 5, 2018 @ 4:03 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Richard Gere was also allegedly a (Gerbil) Buttist(!!) back in the day. And yes, I did say ALLEGEDLY!!
Hey, it was fair game for the In Living Color Superbowl halftime show in 1991!!!

April 5, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Have never heard that end track before, unless it was being played anonymously on a low volume
in some pizza joint back in the day. Very high energy and quite similar to Britney Spears as you so
rightly surmised. Thanks for the unsolicited audio hook-up!!

April 5, 2018 @ 4:19 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Thank Tara. It's her guilty pleasure jam!

April 5, 2018 @ 4:30 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanking you 'cause there was a better chance of you reading it!! Still on a high after
Gare Joyce responded to one of my comments a few months ago!! Also relieved that
I never found myself in Mike Stafford's crossfire, but then again, I wasn't one of those folks
knocking the AM640 changes. Ah, shit, why'd I go and bring that up again?!? SORRY!!!

April 5, 2018 @ 4:35 PM

Pete

Hi Mike, what is the name of the Nana Mouskouri song you play during the Camp Tournesol advertisement? Been trying to find it. Thanks!

April 6, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

@Pete

It's called Le Tournesol.

April 6, 2018 @ 8:49 AM

Jason Cull

JOHN Byner, note Dave. I think you were mixing up with Super Dave Osborne .

April 6, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

@Jason Cull

One of a few boners I pulled...

At least I was right about Chrissie Hynde being on Friends.

April 6, 2018 @ 9:24 AM

Seishina

Awesome episode, and thanks for using my two-part question! In my defense in not 'doing my homework', I don't have cable so I don't get to watch Hometown Hockey. I humbly beg forgiveness in my journalistic faux pas. :P Hoping things will align and I can see you on stage this summer.

(PS: Mike ,you got my 'name' right the second time around) ;)

April 6, 2018 @ 10:23 AM

Seishina

That Camp Tournesol song sounds a LOT like the 'Duff Beer' song from the Duff Gardens Simpsons episode.

April 6, 2018 @ 10:24 AM

@Seishina

Haha.. I was kidding with the homework quip. :)

I'm glad I finally pronounced your name right. I had a tough enough time with "Tara".

April 6, 2018 @ 10:28 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Enjoyed this. Tara was great.
Thanks for asking my question Mike.

April 7, 2018 @ 12:11 PM