April 16 in Toronto

April Snow

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Ya got me feeling nostalgic for my old red wagon with this picture!! A true Canadian Heritage
Minute moment if there ever was one!! And although it's pretty shitty out there, the Parkdale
Library is already bustling with Facebook Junkies and Youtube Cravers at this ungodly hour!! Good to see that I'm not the only idiot out there!! On the down side, My sweet better half was forced to work
an overnight, second shift at the group home she is employed at. Her 16 hour shift ended with the
news of ongoing TTC closures on the Bloor-Danforth line. Hope she gets home safely and with limited
difficulty.

April 16, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

Brian Gerstein (RaptorsDevotee)

I took the snow tires off my wife's and my car about 3 weeks ago! Man, was that a bad call! Wednesday it looks like we finally turn the corner and can put winter behind us for good.

April 16, 2018 @ 9:40 AM

@Brian

Promise?

Bike-less days make Mike depressed.

April 16, 2018 @ 9:45 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I take the two little ones to daycare and back in this wagon... rain, shine or snow!

Today, my wife is working from home because of the storm, so she snapped this picture from our bedroom window as I returned home.

April 16, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Seriously, it's a great picture!! It could/should be used to sell Bay Blankets, Real Maple
Syrup, and of course Radio Flyer wagons!! "Radio Flyer", now that was one messed-up movie!!

April 16, 2018 @ 9:56 AM

James Edgar

It's pretty nasty out there. Very little plowing of sidewalks and side streets. Even Kipling and Islington north of Eglinton didn't look plowed this morning.

We've had a half hour power outage at my office this morning and schools across the city are experiencing outages too. Not that many kids are there probably. My daughter stayed home after buses were cancelled. Probably watching TV in her pajamas as I type.

My wife works in Vaughn and the parking lot is outdoors ( I have underground parking where i work :) ) and she fell ,cutting her hand and hurting her back helping a coworker who got stuck trying to park.

Probably best to stay home if you can.

I sure hope Brian is right I'm definitely ready for spring now.

April 16, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

Irv

Just a reminder (and Blind Dave will agree) this type of weather is common in April in much of the rest of the country (outside of Vancouver). In 3 months all we will hear is incessant whining of hot hot it is and how you should go to the mall to cool off in the AC. Ahhh, Ontario

Drove to London from KW twice this weekend. The Saturday had about 30 cars in the ditch in 80 km. Leave your snow tires on until May 1st then remove them. I'm surprised there is no law with snow tires here. At least the trees mostly didn't take the brunt of it.

April 16, 2018 @ 10:52 AM

Dawn Keibals

Be honest @Mike It's the start of your daily morning hunt for empty beer bottles in the alleys off the Lakeshore...How much did you rake in today ?

April 16, 2018 @ 11:04 AM

Urooj Islam

The night is darkest before the dawn, Mike, great biking weather coming up in a few days and it's going to last.

Although, I love the photo. It is bad weather perfectly captured, the bummed out Mike, the empty red wagon not full of joy and life as it is when your little ones are in it, the messy conditions. Poetic, in a way.

April 16, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

T

Tory is an asshole!

To think that not to plow city streets & for that matter sidewalks because he was concerned with catch basins and flooding is a crock of shit. This city is big. It is open 24/7. People walk, bike & drive. People need to get around safely.

& you think with all this snow it will melt overnight. Dream on. It will be Saturday before this stuff is gone. This stuff is hard as rock.

Feel sorry for the seniors who are struggling to get around.

Mother Nature what did Toronto do to you?

April 16, 2018 @ 1:49 PM

dale

I live in Caledon & agree with T. We have 1 of the highest tax rates in all of Ont. I didn't leave the house Sat. or Sun. but had chores to do today. Our street & others & sidewalks have not been plowed. I'm a senior & I refuse to shovel the sidewalk especially with this heavy snow. Hardly anyone in my hood has even shoveled their driveways.
Got stuck in driveway for 20 minutes before able to garage park. Son came home from work at lunch & same.
Hopefully this all melts before June. Still freezing rain & snow here & more expected Tues. & Wed.
For those who don't believe in global warming & climate changes, the Earth is flat.

April 16, 2018 @ 2:09 PM

jj

Irv - I will not be complaining come summer cause I will be wearing the least and doing the mostttt to enjoy the weather. also i think Toronto could have been better prepared, because we've known we're going to have garbage weather for a while, this is unexpected but not totally so.

I was pretty pissed off that no salt was dropped, but I hear there's a shortage????
The roads out there ain't shit, who knows when they will be.

dale - hope that you got a lot done today despite what is going on out there. I see my 86 year old Great Aunty ( who is great too!) on Fridays, but when the weather immediately is bad, I won't entertain taking her outside at alllll.

April 16, 2018 @ 4:13 PM

Barry

I went to the office today, but it was awful near where I live -- not quite as bad downtown.

I live next to a school, and at 8:15 a.m. the sidewalk in front of the school was covered in ice and snow. It was treacherous. It was safer to walk on the road than on the sidewalk. (I chose neither -- I took a bus to the subway station, something I rarely do, but I was left with little choice.)

And schools were open today?

I really don't know what it takes to close a TDSB school. Clearly, compromises to student/teacher safety aren't as big a factor as they should be. But this, to me, was more unsafe than a lot of snowstorm days, and I can't understand the thinking.

April 16, 2018 @ 4:26 PM

Barry

Meanwhile, the weather was so bad today that ice fell off the CN Tower and put a hole in the roof of Rogers Centre.

April 16, 2018 @ 4:28 PM

Irv

JJ. Toronto should start using beet juice to melt snow. Safer, better for the environment etc.

I am not a fan of salt. I find it creates more havoc as it semi melts the snow, so you get ice with a layer of slush on it. It's not used in Western Canada at all. I can see it being used on a walkway but on the road beet juice, sand & plowing.

April 16, 2018 @ 5:57 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I made the same mistake as Brian, changed all the snow tires2 weeks ago as I was heading out east for a 3 week work stretch, and thought it would be ridiculous for my wife and daughter to be driving on snow tires at the end of April.
Needless to say I have been getting some not too happy faced emojis from them. Next year I will take Irvs advice, May 1 st my new line in the snow.
As for the city not being prepared, we could take a page out of how the Newfoundlanders deal with crappy weather, get your self some storm chips( actually saw this on the news last year when I couldn't leave St. Johns for 2 days)and wait out the storm.

April 16, 2018 @ 6:17 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Dawn, LoL I thought Mike was out doing his paper route. Sorry Mike, couldn't resist.

April 16, 2018 @ 6:30 PM

Anon&on

@Dawn @RickC - first thing I thought of. If you look like that on my street, you're either delivering the free newspaper or mining blue boxes.

April 16, 2018 @ 8:22 PM

@Anon&on

Why not both?

April 16, 2018 @ 8:53 PM

jj

Irv - I think they should look into beet juice and the like, I know salt is bad for roads and the environment. But the contracts are probably way too lucrative for them to actually care, alas.

April 17, 2018 @ 9:16 AM

Douglas

Having learned the hard way from the last ice storm, a neighbour started clearing a path for the water from melting ice to actually make it down the road to the next catch basin/drain. I was next in line, and did the favour for my vacationing neighbour, too. The next house did that, too. But what happened? The guy who has the catch basin/drain just before his driveway shovels the slush and ice off of his driveway and blocks the water's path. Someone noticed the flooding occurring and fixed the issue, thankfully. Major streets in Ajax were plowed, most secondary ones, especially if there is a bus route on the latter. I think the Town is just waiting for warmer weather for my street, which is now mostly clear, thanks to the water being able to run off. On one side, anyways.

No discounting of the source, but there is "logic" behind what happened in the City of Toronto, although one wonders about certain "priorities":

April 17, 2018 @ 1:51 PM