Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 319: Ryan Doyle and Jay Maddog Michaels

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 319In this 319th episode, Mike chats with Ryan Doyle and Jay Maddog Michaels about their show The Rush on Newstalk 1010 before they kick out the jams. This episode is exactly 2:16:31.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Ryan Doyle, Jay Maddog Michaels and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

I fondly remember Ryan Doyle from his days producing the Jim Richards Nightside Showgram
in the wee small hours of the night. 20 years or so ago I was almost a nightly caller complete
with intermittent listener complaints/death threats and one time I was even propositioned on-air
by another (female) listener. I miss those days!! I was also a frequent caller into that Generation
Next program during its brief run. Didn't have a hell of a lot going on Saturday nights twenty years
ago anymore than I do now...le plus de chooses ne changent pas!!! (The More Things Don't Change!!)

March 27, 2018 @ 2:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Maddog's comment about leaving the last Def Leppard concert he attended was hilarious.
Phil Collen, the guitarist who he was referring to, is a complete body building fanatic and
now i can't get that "covered in body oil" comment visually out of my head, sadly!! Plus.
his second jam might be the most ass-kicking song picked on KOTJ yet. Hopefully future
KOTJ pickers will follow in his brave footsteps!! @Mike "Bloodbath In Paradise" is the name
of that Ozzy song from '88 referencing Chucky Manson,

March 27, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E. might be the most obscure musical reference ever uttered
by anyone on the podcast!! "Psyko Funk" from their first album was also a great
jam. Another one buried deep in my storage unit on both tape and CD.

March 27, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

"Another Body Murdered" with Faith No More was epic! (No pun intended!!!!)

March 27, 2018 @ 4:24 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Great pun. Can't recall if anyone has picked a Faith No More jam yet?

March 27, 2018 @ 4:26 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Not yet...

March 27, 2018 @ 4:27 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Hate to be that guy, but... "Poetic Justice" was directed by John Singleton, not the Hughes
Brothers!!

March 27, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

This last comment goes out to Maddog himself: I was all on board for that sick riff and sweet
beat until that much-maligned singer opened his mouth!!! Still loved your second and third
selections, though!! That third pick is undoubtedly my fave track from that particular band.

March 27, 2018 @ 4:40 PM

markosaar

Love the britpop drop. Inspiral Carpets, Stereo MC's criminally underrated these days.

Oasis is kinda what got me into alternative in the first place, but on hindsight I much prefer Blur these days. More varied, smarter/cleverer songs.

March 27, 2018 @ 6:33 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Nicely done Mike, always listen to these 2 nitwits on my drive home!

March 27, 2018 @ 9:30 PM

Urooj Islam

I am very happy that Maddog is happy and still working in the industry. Guy came across so well in his first couple of appearances on Toronto Mike'd and he makes a great team with Ryan Doyle.

I wish them both much success.

March 27, 2018 @ 10:59 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Totally agree about the Stereo Mc's and Inspiral Carpets. The early to mid '90s were definitely
a golden age for Britpop music. As for Blur vs. Oasis, yes the former had more variety but
the latter were generally a lot more rocking, so I think I ultimately have to go with them.

March 28, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

RS

Fantastic podcast! As a fellow Humber Radio alum (no longer in the industry), it was a kick getting to hear Ryan talking about the program and the profs; have fond memories of Holiday (his 'tea thermos' ;) ), Chomyn and Andrews. I'm guessing we were there around the same time? (I graduated in 2000)

March 28, 2018 @ 9:31 AM

markosaar

@bsmntdwllr73,

Counter-point: Oasis never wrote anything as awesome as Far Out (Beagle 2 version)

March 28, 2018 @ 10:29 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Not familiar with this version, but that one Youtube comment about it sounding akin to
Syd Barrett was spot on!!

March 28, 2018 @ 10:37 AM

Judy lott

Good podcast Mike....just one thing I would like to say. From 4 to 7pm I have to listen to Oakley as I consider him the best in the business (along with Stafford of course.) Have you done a podcast with John?
Just curious