Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 316: Gord Deppe from The Spoons

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 316In this 316th episode, Mike chats with The Spoons' singer and songwriter Gord Deppe. This episode is exactly 1:27:37.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Gord Deppe from the Spoons and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and Camp Tournesol.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Greg

Fantastic episode. This chat was a lot of fun.

March 21, 2018 @ 6:17 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Great episode! Well worth the wait!! I'm on of those kooks/weirdos who often is a fan of the 'lesser'
known hits of a band. Case in point, A Flock of Seagulls: I prefer "Wishing" and "The More You Live,
The More You Love" to "I Ran." And since Wang Chung was mentioned on the program, their theme
song to the mid 1980s' flick "To Live and Die In L.A. has always been my favourite of their handful
of singles/videos. @Mike, thanks for asking my questions at the eleventh hour! I was beginning to
give up hope, but I knew that you wouldn't let me down!! P.S., best in-house music performances
yet!

March 21, 2018 @ 6:32 PM

Sandra

Great episode. Gord looks fantastic..easy to see he takes very good care of himself. Would be nice to get Sandy on for an episode too.

March 21, 2018 @ 9:19 PM

Mike

The Rodney from the LA music scene was Rodney Bingenheimer. I thought was older or dead.

March 21, 2018 @ 11:28 PM

Barry

I'm about half way through, but it's already my favourite Toronto Mike. I knew it would be, though.

I was one of the die hard Spoons fans who fell in love with the band when Nova Heart came out. It was great being a Spoons fan in the Toronto area, because they played in the area over and over. I was at nearly all of the amazing Ontario Place shows, and was at the Yorkdale riot Gord references in the episode. (I have no idea how the band got out of that alive; the crowd was pushing against the security doors, and I don't think Thrifty's had a back exit.) High school is full of highs and lows, and they were a big part of the highs, and got me through a lot of the lows. I still go to every show I can get to.

They released the fantastic Static in Transmission album in the spring of 2011, and I loved it right away. But it became a bigger part of my life later that year when my father's health took a turn. During his final two weeks, I made a daily half-hour trek from work to Toronto General to spend time with him. I listened to that album every step of the way, every day. It meant a lot to me that during one of the most painful times of my life, the band whose music I grew up with was able to give me a bit of peace. I'll always think of that album for what it did for me then.

Thanks for having Gord on the show. I always love hearing his stories about the band, and he always seems to come up with something I hadn't heard before.

March 22, 2018 @ 9:40 AM

Not Quite Mike

And on another musical note - Toronto Mike gets another mention in The Star! (see song Number 4)

March 22, 2018 @ 11:46 AM

twins from bolton

I love music & the Spoons were a great band in 80's. Not a fan of late 80-90& current music but Gord Deppe hit the high note with this podcast.
Thanks Mike & have to love to see his KOTJs.

March 22, 2018 @ 10:43 PM

Gary M

bsmntdwllr, those are great songs and I'm totally with you on lesser known hits. A lot of people are into big hits, and then there are people into deep cuts. I like the stuff in between. In Steve Perry terms, "Foolish Heart" over "Oh Sherrie".

March 24, 2018 @ 1:59 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Gary M
In my younger days I preferred "Oh Sherrie" but now I'm totally with you regarding "Foolish
Heart." It's a real shame that Steve Perry hasn't put out that loooong(!) overdue and promised
third solo album. He performed live with The Eels several times in 2014 and he still had a great
voice, obviously somewhat different due to the passing of time, but quite powerful nonetheless.

March 25, 2018 @ 1:54 PM