Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 310: The Horseshoe Tavern

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 310In this 310th episode, Mike chats with Horseshoe Tavern historian David McPherson about the history of the legendary Toronto concert venue. This episode is exactly 1:17:13.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

David McPherson and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

This might be the most Mimico podcast of all-time.

March 1, 2018 @ 4:04 PM

@Urooj Islam

But the Horseshoe is at Queen and Spadina!

March 1, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

twins from bolton

My sons played there with their band - Bell Ends in mid 2000's.

March 1, 2018 @ 6:30 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I wonder if Urooj is thinking of the Blue Goose Tavern?
I had never been to the Horseshoe until H&F anniversary party afew years ago, quite the iconic venue, that just oozed history, spilled beer and cigarette nicotine!
Hope it never goes away.

March 1, 2018 @ 9:25 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

I think you're right!

Maybe I will do a deep dive into the history of the Blue Goose Tavern with Dave Bolland.

March 1, 2018 @ 9:40 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Thoroughly enjoyed this one! Although I'm a little upset that one of the top ten notable shows wasn't Poised For The Worm (my old band) back in 1999-2000.

March 2, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

I thought both The Worm and Bell Ends deserved honourable mentions.

March 2, 2018 @ 9:05 AM

bsmntdwllr73

A fascinating and insightful episode and the book is a great read as well!!

@Mike
Once again, I totally concur with you that "Road Apples" is the best Hip album. "Fully Completely"
may have brought the jocks and their kin on board, but was too slick and polished (the producer
mostly worked with metal bands, btw!!). As for the Stones, "Hot Rocks" is great as is "More Hot
Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies)", but for this ultimate musical contrarian, nothing beats the one-two
knocked(!!)-out albums streak of "Undercover" ('83) and "Dirty Work!!!" I still can't get enough of
'Undercover of the Night' and 'Harlem Shuffle' more than 30 years later!

March 2, 2018 @ 11:05 AM

Anon&on

Probably on my own here. Of all the Toronto (or any) venues I've been to over my 40 years of concert going, Horseshoe would be my last choice to see any band- just visited for the first time a couple years ago. I will be there again soon but was really disappointed to find out it was the venue. I wonder if thenew younger bands get a kick out playing there- don't care about the nostalgia unless the band is feeling/showing it. The stage is a disaster. Maybe if it was a really thin crowd (like a dozen police fans)...

I think people in my demo would immediately think of the El Mo as the great Stones/Toronto legend.

March 2, 2018 @ 8:48 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Btw, Painted Black was the theme for Tour of Duty, not China Beach. I was a huge Tour of Duty fan.

March 3, 2018 @ 12:27 AM

Our fav haunts

@Anon&on

Our fav haunts by far were Albert's Hall & The "Izzy".

March 3, 2018 @ 12:27 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

Did I say China Beach. Haha... I meant Tour of Duty!

March 3, 2018 @ 8:47 AM

John M.

Great interview about a cool bar.

Link Wray's biggest hit was "Rumble."

Two points about the song:
1) In was banned on many radio stations.
2) It was an instrumental.

March 4, 2018 @ 12:05 PM