Steve Anthony is Leaving CP24 Breakfast

Steve Anthony has announced he is leaving CP24 Breakfast to "do other things" and that his last day will be March 29.

Steve Anthony was just at my home two weeks ago for another great convo and left no hint he was about to leave. He did take great pride in talking about the success of CP24 Breakfast and that it was the most watched morning show in the city, beating his old show Breakfast Television on City. In fact, if you watch the clip below, you'll hear him extrapolate that it's actually the most watched morning show in the country.

I've been visited by Steve twice, and thoroughly enjoyed both conversations. In fact, he's one of my all-time favourite Toronto Mike'd guests.

Catch these episodes here:

Here's what Steve has shared on Facebook.

Well? That's almost done. This morning I announced that, after 9 years as a host on CP24 Breakfast, and 25 of almost 40 years waking up at around 3am to be a 'broadcaster', I am stepping away from being on TV and radio. Tanya Humphrey-Anthony and I have been working towards this for a while. We have a bunch of businesses and projects that we have nurturing, and are no ready to devote much more time into.

So that's the story. I can't say you won't SEE me around. But I can't say where or when if you do.

Here's video of Steve's announcement.

Sid_V

This leaves an opening for Ann Rohmer.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:22 AM

Sounds like it will be Gurdeep Ahluwalia co-hosting with Pooja Handa.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

jj

I don't watch breakfast TV, but I am sure he'll be missed.
Maybe he wasn't contractually allowed to discuss it with you? Or he is a layoff and is spinning it towards his personal choice?

March 12, 2018 @ 11:37 AM

@jj

I think he didn't want the crew to hear it first on my show but wanted to share the news publicly for the first time on CP24 Breakfast.

I also believe this is all Steve's decision.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:40 AM

Argie

What person with an IQ above 90 watches breakfast television shows? Seriously.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

Justin

@Argie

Every waiting room, hairdresser, airport, etc. in the province for starters. I imagine people also enjoy having it on in the background as they get ready in the morning.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:53 PM

jj

Argie - a lot of people use it to get their news before their workday, and retired persons, shift workers etc. let's not knock something that keeps people employed in an industry that has suffered a LOT in the last little while.

Good for him, those hours are BRUTAL - and everyone who leaves their am job mentions the wake up time as the worst part!

March 12, 2018 @ 2:40 PM

Argie = cGrant

Argie = cGrant

Same trolling BS bluster.

March 12, 2018 @ 3:11 PM

Aidan

I’m sorry to see Steve go. Remember how when he first started, he was up in the chopper doing traffic reports? I’ve spoken to Steve once and that’s when CP24 Breakfast called me do to a wake-up call. Do they even do those anymore? I felt like I had rapport with him despite not personally knowing him.

My bet is that they won’t replace him and have Pooja and Gurdeep alternate doing the news or they’ll bring George on to be the morning show news anchor.

By the way, good for CP24 for succeeding BT, I had wanted an alternative for a long time. I didn’t like CP24 Breakfast at first but in my opinion, anything was better than BT. I let it grow on me and now I watch it all the time. I do tune into BT once a year to see what its like. I really wish CP24 Breakfast had their own studio rather than using the newsroom.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:38 PM

G A Dean

I will miss the Laughs...
It's been a fast 9 years watching...all the best to you Steve and keep on smiling
Oshawa Fan

March 12, 2018 @ 11:57 PM

EllieS

Sorry to see Steve go! He makes the show palatable. Now if they could actually get rid of Bill Coulter and Pooja....maybe it won't tank.

Good luck, Steve! You deserve to move on!

March 13, 2018 @ 9:06 AM

Blair

Maybe he'll use the time to finally develop feelings for Kevin Frankish.

March 13, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

@Blair

Let the record show I also had a tremendous visit from Kevin Frankish and refuse to take sides in that turf war.

March 13, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

Anonymous

It's about time ....He's out of place on that show now....Nothing worse than an old guy trying to be cool and trying to fit in....Time to move on Steve...Accept that you are losing your hair...buy some better quality clothing and move on gracefully to the next segment of your life.....
FROM A FORMER ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY PERSON

March 13, 2018 @ 12:25 PM

myancestry.com

Argie is cGrant? I thought she was Grilled Cheese? Or Mike Bendixon in a teddy?

March 13, 2018 @ 3:15 PM

Pat

To Steve,

I will miss your wit your wisdom and your smile. Well it is nice to see all the other hosts in the morning it is very nice to have you there. I certainly hope this was your decision and not the stations idea. It is very uncool to discard people that add so much to the network and the show. I wish you and your family all the best in the future and here is to much more time with your dogs or dog. I know how much they mean to you and perhaps now you will have the time to also add a pet pig to the mix. You do seem to like them also. Cheers Mike, may the best be yet to come for you and yours!

March 13, 2018 @ 5:01 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Maybe all of AM640's Supriya detractors would be happen if she took her talents over to CP24 Breakfast and joined their squad instead?!? Just an innocent, hypothetical question/suggestion!!!

March 15, 2018 @ 11:40 AM

Anonymous

He didn’t fit in anymore . Pooja needs to go to boring

March 15, 2018 @ 2:03 PM

Anonymous

I been watching it for a long long time but the last few years it’s been very boring so is the weekend . Needs new people with more get up and go.

March 15, 2018 @ 2:05 PM

Mike

Steve we will miss you. Followed you back in the days in Montreal when you were at ckgm 980. Love you then and on Much as well. Cp24 will really need to hopefully think hard and not just do the easy thing and anoint Gurdeep since him and Pooja started as hosts of the weekend morning show.

Suggest Mike on the following people you may want to have on: Monika Deol. While she lives in Vancouver she is here from time to time. Might have some very good stories from the electric circus days. Also maybe Bob Summers would be good too. Also and perhaps Gurdeep Ahluwalia.

March 15, 2018 @ 6:36 PM

@Mike

Last summer, when Monika Deol was in town promoting some skin cream, she almost came over. I was set up and everything.

She promises she will visit... that'll be a fun episode.

March 15, 2018 @ 7:19 PM

called Iggy Pop

@TorontoMike,

It might be fun to have Jeanne Beker on to re-live when she called Iggy Pop an asshole.

March 15, 2018 @ 11:30 PM

@called Iggy Pop

Jeanne Beker would be a great guest. I just haven't been able to get a response from her.

March 16, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

Update: I've chatted with Steve since the announcement, and I'm convinced this was entirely his decision. He tells me it's been in the works since October.

March 16, 2018 @ 9:02 AM

Irv

Breakfast TV shows are about quick light information and I'm sure part of it is about a sound in the background. I don't anyone watches it for in-depth news coverage or anything. You can't criticize an outlet for serving the needs of it's viewers anymore than you can criticize Tim Horton's for the fact people in Ontario seem to love their coffee (which I must add I think is horrid piss water).

And so the guy wants to move on. It's funny about media debates. The industry bemoans how it's dying, then when a guy decides he wants to do something different the gossip starts.

March 17, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

HELEN BAILIE

WE MOVED FROM COURTICE TO ELLIOT LAKE IN 2011 AND OUR SERVICE PROVIDER DIDN'T OFFER CP24 UNTIL LATE LAST YEAR. I WAS EXCITED TO GET TO WATCH CP24 BREAKFAST AGAIN. YOU WILL BE MISSED STEVE. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN YOUR ENDEAVORS.

March 28, 2018 @ 9:12 AM

Mike

I’m glad to see him go!, he was a terrible broadcaster and interviewer. Often interrupting guests and not letting them finish their comments. He reminds me of a burnt out rock groupie from the 80s. He has a voice for radio that’s where he should’ve stayed. He was actually an embarrassment. Trying to fit in with his young cohosts with his silly and stupid antics, Especially the one where he broke his hip jumping onto a tire. Who does this?!

March 28, 2018 @ 2:31 PM

Fred

Most of the time he just tried too hard

March 28, 2018 @ 8:29 PM

Kassie

It was definitely time for Steve Anthony to go. When all the interviewees were always interrupted by his extensive and time wasting comments about himself or his experience or his point of view, you were left wondering why the guest was there. I would actually change the channel when he was on over the last few years, he was so difficult to tolerate. Sorry, but his self indulgent "schtick" was more than I could bear. I think he confused his role on the show with The Steve Anthony Show.

March 28, 2018 @ 8:42 PM

JC

So I was not the only who thought he was a bad interviewer. Guests have 4 minutes to talk about their projects and Steve takes 3 minutes with his stupid unrelated comments. In the last few years I heard guests responding to him angry and refocusing the interview to their project and still he seems hasn't learned. I wished I recorded those exchanges. Yes it's time for him to go. George can be a good news anchor or host. Pooja is getting a bit better since she stopped talking that often in a condecending way that she been vegetarians is the best option.

March 28, 2018 @ 9:13 PM

My2cents

He had to go! Steve was unbareable to watch. I was actually waiting 9 years for this day to come. His commentary were insensitive. Often time I could tell he didn’t know much about the cause, person or subject. He was honestly out of place. I am not sure which type of audience he appealed too?? I think it was a mutual agreement between Steve and CP24. Because I noticed over the last several weeks or perhaps months Steve wasn’t really part of the morning segments. This was a key indicator that they were trying something new and different. Having him not on the morning show would not impact viewership.

March 28, 2018 @ 9:58 PM

Judith

Argie, with such a high IQ, I'm puzzled that you are evening following the cp24 announcement. Shouldn't you be off solving world hunger?

March 29, 2018 @ 6:02 AM

Judith

Argie, with such a high IQ, I'm puzzled that you are even following and commenting on cp24 announcements. Shouldn't you be off somewhere solving world hunger?

March 29, 2018 @ 6:04 AM

Cp24 watcher

It's about time Steve is moving on. The man never fit in with the other professionals on the show. He's very immature and half the time didn't seem to know what he was talking about. I can't stand the man. I wish him all the best. I hope his next journey doesn't have anything to do with t.v.

March 29, 2018 @ 7:21 AM

cs

I think he was probably pushed out, maybe too high a salary? Once you get 50 in this day and age you're lucky to have a job anywhere, so I guess he did ok for himself. The remaining hosts are all fine but Mika Midolo needs a clothing and hair makeover - she always looks unprofessional - as opposed to the others who are always well-dressed and tidy. She stands out like a sore thumb.

March 29, 2018 @ 7:21 AM

notastevefan

I was wondering if I would be in the minority about thinking it was time for Steve to move on. Like others have point out, what got on my nerves was how he would seemingly take any interview or host chat segment and try to turn it into a story (granted he's no where near as bad as Breakfast Televisions Dina Pugliese) about himself.

It also looked like leading up to the announcement he wanted to be anywhere but on the cp24.

I wish no ill will on him and all that but it is clearly time he moves on.

March 29, 2018 @ 7:33 AM

Steve HEWITTT

Steve...seeing you next Tuesday at Sunnybrook...say goodbye to your hair!..but it does grow back!
You will be fine...it just takes time...thanks to Dr. Chan from both of us!

March 29, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

Janet Ruddach

Love Steve. He is entertaining and funny. Will miss him on the show. People saying he is too old no he isnt. He looks good. Wish we knew why he was leaving. He is probably enjoying the 2nd half of his life. Wish him the best. People saying he is too old, needs new wardrobe, doesnt fit in, totally silly. If he is aging then whats happening to Kevin Frankish he is aging and getting overweight, but good at his job also.

March 29, 2018 @ 7:58 AM

Dissapointed

Why be negative towards Steve or Mika let them be I'm sure you guys are no better

March 29, 2018 @ 8:01 AM

Bill

I heard he got a new job at Porter.

March 29, 2018 @ 8:46 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad to see that this thread has quickly become the new complaints about changes to AM 640
virtual town hall gathering. Keep up the great work, and let's all take a knee and hope that
CP24 Breakfast will soon become great again!!!

March 29, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

Irv

A post on SOWNY is sure to do that.

March 29, 2018 @ 9:54 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
Very good point, I wouldn't have thought of that!!

March 29, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

PhastPhil

Well ,, as much as people like to bash others for they way they look and how they dress ,, please acknowledge that the man has entertained the GTA for a better part or most of some of your lives ..
I'm no doctor but given the fact that he is so bloated around his facial area I think he may be ill and fighting something that he doesn't want to share at this point in time.
I hope it's not serious and he gets healthy real soon .
He's always been a very personable individual ,, when you see him in public he's just a gracious as he is on tv ,,, Good luck Steve (Agony ) Anthony

March 29, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

Irv

@basement

Yeah, SOWNY, Puget, etc can't resist a good useless debate on the merits of 640 over 1010. They debate what they call "CKNDP 980" over on Puget Sound all the time. If you've ever wanted to see out of touch people..it's someone that debates the merits of two AM talk stations which an audience all 15 years older than me

@PhastPhil. Yes, a puffy neck and swollen ankles, etc are a *bad* sign for your health.

March 29, 2018 @ 10:46 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
That sure sounds like a sweet way to spend one of my ever-increasingly lonely Friday and/or
Saturday nights. Internet café with open Wi-Fi and a strong signal, here I come!! Do they
still even exist anymore?

March 29, 2018 @ 10:53 AM

Irv

Well in the enlightened land of SOWNY they're so Toronto centric they posted about Gerry Forbes retirement and connect him as a former CFTR and CHUM DJ

Forbes worked for CJAY92 and has since like 1991. He's a mainstay in Calgary and I'd argue probably one of the most well known broadcasters in the Calgary market. But they can't resist finding some connection to their long long wet dream that was CFTR or CHUM AM.

And Puget Sound is not different. In the Vancouver ratings thread they can't understand why local talk station CKNW is "centrist". They call it CKNDP. I lived in Vancouver. Twice. It's the most progressive, left wing leaning city in Canada, bar none. 980 AM has monster ratings & that doesn't seem to be changing. Yet..to the relics on that forum they're "dying". Uhuh. I guess they missed the spring car shows out in Langley lol. God I miss Van.

March 29, 2018 @ 1:04 PM

LB

I wish Steve well, however, I don't think he had a choice to stay...a few weeks ago the hosts were talking about babies and Steve had the audacity to say on TV that some babies are ugly....I couldn't believe what I had just heard ...he's old enough to know that to a mom a baby is the most beautiful thing in the world .. on the other hand maybe he wouldn't know that because he is not a parent.

March 29, 2018 @ 7:07 PM

Anonymous

I have been waiting for this day for years. I get that he has been in the industry for several years. But whenever he does his interview segments I find it incredibly unwatchable. He interrupts the guests, hardly ever give them a chance to speak, and you would even notice a change in the guests' attitude towards him.

I also hated how he had a very aloof, above it all, and condescending attitude, even to his other cohosts. Again kudos to him from being in the game as long as he has, but he definitely was the odd man out.

Thank you Steve and good bye.

March 29, 2018 @ 8:45 PM

ROY HERRINGTON

HURRAY! Sorry, but we could barely stand him. He was very annoying, trying to grab all of the attention from the "guest" that he was supposed to be interviewing - constantly interrupting and laughing at nothing - or his own jokes. Pls try to hire an adult to replace him.

Also, when everyone is talking and laughing at the same time, talking over each other = it's also annoying and undecipherable. I don't watch anymore because it's so chaotic.

March 29, 2018 @ 10:06 PM

Anonymous

steve was a joy too watch funny and entertaining well miss you good luck steve,

March 29, 2018 @ 10:50 PM

John Abbott Walker

"Anonymous
FROM A FORMER ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY PERSON"

When you read that out loud the .... make it sound like crazy, jealous mumbling.

Best wishes on whatever you decide to do Steverino!

March 30, 2018 @ 7:03 AM

Dan

You're not too old Steve, come back anytime!

March 30, 2018 @ 8:14 AM

JESSICA FILBERT

Congrats on your move to explore further interests. I gave up watching CP24 as it was too boring,
and I watch for news, not entertainment. Found other channels to fit the bill.

I was not happy with the changes in the programming, so left as a viewer_ I commend Steve
and his family for reaching out to try another challenge. Good for you.

CP24-be careful who you appoint as his replacement and furthermore I just want the news,
if I wanted entertainment I would watch something else.
Waiting to see how things unfold.
I am sure Steve will be missed.

March 30, 2018 @ 9:23 AM

L.E.Taylor

All the best,Steve. I didn't mind him at all. Always seemed to work well with his fellow on air personalities. I enjoy all of cp24 personalities with the exception of Nathan Downer. Wish that guy would disappear. And wear a tie once and awhile and lose the condescending tone. Bring Anne Rohmer back occasionally too would be nice.

March 30, 2018 @ 11:28 AM

Be Lowe

Anyone who would be asking to bring back smarmy Anne Rohmer isn't anyone who should provide any criticism of Nathan Downer. I would take 100 Nathan's over the human weather vane Anne Rohmer.

March 30, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

liz dimalta

Hey Breakfast Television! What took so long? Unusual for me not to like someone but cannot stand Steve and would switch channels when he was on. He tried too hard to be liked and too be "cool". To me he appeared like an old man trying to be young and fit in. His hair, his clothing were all a turn-off. I wish him the best but am so relieved I won't have to see his face and hear his voice again. He was so phoney.

March 30, 2018 @ 6:24 PM

Steve Anthony

I never tried to act "cool"

April 1, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

Dianne

Always enjoyed watching Steve. Just love a man who loves animals. Wishing Steve and his wife all the best in their new adventure.

April 2, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

Someone

Imagine how Rogers would react if Gord Martineau joined CP24's morning show?

April 3, 2018 @ 12:20 PM

Myrtle

Steve Anthony was disgusting, clothes were too tight and outdated.He had way too much to say when his opinion wasnt needed or wanted.Ridiculous games they all played should embarrass the whole crew and make them see what idiots they look like.Thank God for Mute buttons on tv.Pooja should go too.Waving her extra long arms around was a clear and present danger to anyone near her.George needs to buy new clothes that fit him.He looks like he has no neck.

April 7, 2018 @ 11:29 AM

Db

Steve was no good. Ex-alcoholic from Much Music. Never a good host. Nice clothes tho. Get rid of Pooja too!!!

April 10, 2018 @ 9:14 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Db
But at least he now has his sobriety if not an intense fondness for the more legal Coke of the
Zero persuasion!!

April 10, 2018 @ 9:17 AM

Sangiya

With the exception of Gurdeep, EVERYONE on CP24 needs to go! Including the weekend crew.... they are so annoying, I alway end up changing the channel!!

April 18, 2018 @ 4:09 AM

margarette

Wish you all the best Steve - good luck - perhaps you and Kevin could do your own show independent of the biggies!

May 30, 2018 @ 7:49 AM