Steve Anthony is Leaving CP24 Breakfast

Steve Anthony has announced he is leaving CP24 Breakfast to "do other things" and that his last day will be March 29.

Steve Anthony was just at my home two weeks ago for another great convo and left no hint he was about to leave. He did take great pride in talking about the success of CP24 Breakfast and that it was the most watched morning show in the city, beating his old show Breakfast Television on City. In fact, if you watch the clip below, you'll hear him extrapolate that it's actually the most watched morning show in the country.

I've been visited by Steve twice, and thoroughly enjoyed both conversations. In fact, he's one of my all-time favourite Toronto Mike'd guests.

Catch these episodes here:

Here's what Steve has shared on Facebook.

Well? That's almost done. This morning I announced that, after 9 years as a host on CP24 Breakfast, and 25 of almost 40 years waking up at around 3am to be a 'broadcaster', I am stepping away from being on TV and radio. Tanya Humphrey-Anthony and I have been working towards this for a while. We have a bunch of businesses and projects that we have nurturing, and are no ready to devote much more time into.

So that's the story. I can't say you won't SEE me around. But I can't say where or when if you do.

Here's video of Steve's announcement.

This leaves an opening for Ann Rohmer.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:22 AM

Sounds like it will be Gurdeep Ahluwalia co-hosting with Pooja Handa.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

I don't watch breakfast TV, but I am sure he'll be missed.
Maybe he wasn't contractually allowed to discuss it with you? Or he is a layoff and is spinning it towards his personal choice?

March 12, 2018 @ 11:37 AM

I think he didn't want the crew to hear it first on my show but wanted to share the news publicly for the first time on CP24 Breakfast.

I also believe this is all Steve's decision.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:40 AM

What person with an IQ above 90 watches breakfast television shows? Seriously.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

Every waiting room, hairdresser, airport, etc. in the province for starters. I imagine people also enjoy having it on in the background as they get ready in the morning.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:53 PM

Argie - a lot of people use it to get their news before their workday, and retired persons, shift workers etc. let's not knock something that keeps people employed in an industry that has suffered a LOT in the last little while.

Good for him, those hours are BRUTAL - and everyone who leaves their am job mentions the wake up time as the worst part!

March 12, 2018 @ 2:40 PM

Argie = cGrant

Argie = cGrant

Same trolling BS bluster.

March 12, 2018 @ 3:11 PM

I’m sorry to see Steve go. Remember how when he first started, he was up in the chopper doing traffic reports? I’ve spoken to Steve once and that’s when CP24 Breakfast called me do to a wake-up call. Do they even do those anymore? I felt like I had rapport with him despite not personally knowing him.

My bet is that they won’t replace him and have Pooja and Gurdeep alternate doing the news or they’ll bring George on to be the morning show news anchor.

By the way, good for CP24 for succeeding BT, I had wanted an alternative for a long time. I didn’t like CP24 Breakfast at first but in my opinion, anything was better than BT. I let it grow on me and now I watch it all the time. I do tune into BT once a year to see what its like. I really wish CP24 Breakfast had their own studio rather than using the newsroom.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:38 PM

G A Dean

I will miss the Laughs...
It's been a fast 9 years watching...all the best to you Steve and keep on smiling
Oshawa Fan

March 12, 2018 @ 11:57 PM

Sorry to see Steve go! He makes the show palatable. Now if they could actually get rid of Bill Coulter and Pooja....maybe it won't tank.

Good luck, Steve! You deserve to move on!

March 13, 2018 @ 9:06 AM

Maybe he'll use the time to finally develop feelings for Kevin Frankish.

March 13, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

Let the record show I also had a tremendous visit from Kevin Frankish and refuse to take sides in that turf war.

March 13, 2018 @ 10:39 AM

It's about time ....He's out of place on that show now....Nothing worse than an old guy trying to be cool and trying to fit in....Time to move on Steve...Accept that you are losing your some better quality clothing and move on gracefully to the next segment of your life.....

March 13, 2018 @ 12:25 PM

Argie is cGrant? I thought she was Grilled Cheese? Or Mike Bendixon in a teddy?

March 13, 2018 @ 3:15 PM

To Steve,

I will miss your wit your wisdom and your smile. Well it is nice to see all the other hosts in the morning it is very nice to have you there. I certainly hope this was your decision and not the stations idea. It is very uncool to discard people that add so much to the network and the show. I wish you and your family all the best in the future and here is to much more time with your dogs or dog. I know how much they mean to you and perhaps now you will have the time to also add a pet pig to the mix. You do seem to like them also. Cheers Mike, may the best be yet to come for you and yours!

March 13, 2018 @ 5:01 PM

Maybe all of AM640's Supriya detractors would be happen if she took her talents over to CP24 Breakfast and joined their squad instead?!? Just an innocent, hypothetical question/suggestion!!!

March 15, 2018 @ 11:40 AM

He didn’t fit in anymore . Pooja needs to go to boring

March 15, 2018 @ 2:03 PM

I been watching it for a long long time but the last few years it’s been very boring so is the weekend . Needs new people with more get up and go.

March 15, 2018 @ 2:05 PM

Steve we will miss you. Followed you back in the days in Montreal when you were at ckgm 980. Love you then and on Much as well. Cp24 will really need to hopefully think hard and not just do the easy thing and anoint Gurdeep since him and Pooja started as hosts of the weekend morning show.

Suggest Mike on the following people you may want to have on: Monika Deol. While she lives in Vancouver she is here from time to time. Might have some very good stories from the electric circus days. Also maybe Bob Summers would be good too. Also and perhaps Gurdeep Ahluwalia.

March 15, 2018 @ 6:36 PM

Last summer, when Monika Deol was in town promoting some skin cream, she almost came over. I was set up and everything.

She promises she will visit... that'll be a fun episode.

March 15, 2018 @ 7:19 PM

called Iggy Pop

It might be fun to have Jeanne Beker on to re-live when she called Iggy Pop an asshole.

March 15, 2018 @ 11:30 PM

@called Iggy Pop

Jeanne Beker would be a great guest. I just haven't been able to get a response from her.

March 16, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

Update: I've chatted with Steve since the announcement, and I'm convinced this was entirely his decision. He tells me it's been in the works since October.

March 16, 2018 @ 9:02 AM