Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Nigel Trousershrapnel

First.

March 9, 2018 @ 8:23 AM

Cheryl

I'm first, goody. Well, I got a very disturbing phone call yesterday. It was actually a voice mail. They called when I was working out so I got the message saying that there was a lawsuit against me. I have no idea what I did or anything so I called. A guy said Revenue Canada when he answered the phone. He told me my taxes weren't calculated right and I had to pay over $2000.00. Well, I said I may not be able to pay today. He told me I had to go to the bank and pay it. I said I can't go to the bank right now. He said that if I don't go pay it today, then I will be arrested. He said he will send someone over to arrest me. I went to see the security guard. The security guard said it's fake, hang up. Nobody will come and arrest me. I don't know why they're doing this. I really don't. Anyway, my Habs lost again. Well, my Nets won, but my Suns lost. My Orioles lost. That's no good. My Indians won though and my Diamondbacks won.

March 9, 2018 @ 8:24 AM

Lyle Lanley

First!

March 9, 2018 @ 8:27 AM

jj

Cheryl - yes, it is FAKE. Revenue Canada will never call you and threaten you. They always send information by mail, OR if they do call they identify themselves with their govt ID#. Please don't worry, no one is coming to arrest you.

March 9, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

To quote Connor MacLeod from the Clan MacLeod' "There can only be one!"

March 9, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

@Cheryl

If you're ever unsure about something like that, ask us. There are so many scams out there, and that's one of them. jj is right, Revenue Canada will never ever leave you a voicemail threatening to arrest you. Do not pay anyone a penny of that $2000!

In fact, as a general rule, never pay a penny to anyone who calls you until you've talked to someone you trust!

March 9, 2018 @ 8:32 AM

markosaar

@Cheryl,

It's a vile scam. I'm glad you asked the security guard.

March 9, 2018 @ 8:33 AM

David

This is a Revenue Canada (CRA) call that I recorded when they called a few months ago. I kept them on the phone for about 20 minutes.
They had called and left a voice mail message. I called them back but gave them all fake information as a test, which he immediately failed!
Even though it sounds like I went to buy a gift card for the caller, truth is, I never left my computer.
At about the 18:30 mark, you will hear sound effects, starting my car engine and a minute later being pulled over by the police all to make him think that I left my house.

March 9, 2018 @ 8:49 AM

Irvine

I was talking to Downie. He told me go home.
I did.

https://youtu.be/WOThAc2bNHs. For Amanda

March 9, 2018 @ 9:18 AM

Rick

My wife got that same call earlier this week. Knew it was a scam. Wish there was a way to catch these crooks.

Got my invoice for Leaf playoff tickets and 2018/19 season. They've jacked up prices quite a bit again. Big game against my Penguins tomorrow.

PC Leadership will it happen or not. I'll call Elliott to take it on second ballot.

March Madness starts next week - good times!

March 9, 2018 @ 9:32 AM

jj

David - my friend's friend did a similar thing, he just trolled them though for about 20mins. it was hilarious. on one hand i feel bad because these people live in poverty and their government does nothing to ease their suffering, along with a caste system that just screws people over. on the other hand, scamming one person to make your life better just is obviously super crappy and wrong.

March 9, 2018 @ 9:33 AM

@Rick

I'm convinced whoever wins the PC leadership is our next Premier, so I'm just hoping it's not Dofo.

March 9, 2018 @ 9:37 AM

GeddyNeilAlex

@David
That was hilarious!
I listened to the whole video.
Next time I’ll go to Best Buy to pay my taxes!!!
Ha, ha!!!!

March 9, 2018 @ 10:01 AM

Anonomass

Who-Ha first again..Thank you

March 9, 2018 @ 10:15 AM

James Edgar

Cheryl listen to mike and everyone else it's a scam. I've had a few calls on my phone too but have never called them back. I wish I had kind of. The trolling sounds like a lot of fun.

So on a personal not i got bad news Tuesday.

My wife is insisting we watch Game of Thrones. I thought i'd humour her for an episode or two and stop watching.

Nope I'm as hooked as her so far.

F*&K

March 9, 2018 @ 10:30 AM

@James Edgar

Are you watching on CraveTV?

I started doing that, and am now in the middle of season two. The thing is, CraveTV only has the first three season there right now.

March 9, 2018 @ 10:36 AM

Aidan

I used to work in a Canada Post outlet inside a Rexall and I had a customer come in bawling her eyes out. Apparently she also got a call from Revenue Canada and was told that if she didn't wire them $2,500 for unpaid taxes using MoneyGram or Western Union then they FBI would come and arrest her, she'd lose her house and be put in jail for a long time. It took me, my post-office manager, assistant store manager, and store manager 45 minutes to convince her that this was a scam. The Rexall I worked at also put a $500 cap on prepaid credit cards and iTunes cards.

Speaking of scams, we also had a different lady fall victim to an online romance scam. Its where you meet somebody online (usually overseas), you fall in love online, they want to come see you but they need money. This women was sending this guy overseas at least $500/week. "I'm sending him this money for his plane ticket, he'll be here next week." The following week, "Oh he's got really sick I need to send him $1,000 for medical bills so he can get better so he can come see me." The week after that she sent him another $200 because he couldn't leave his country without making sure his child support was up to date.

Unfortunately in situations like that we have to respect privacy. My post-office manager asked me to say things "Do you know who you're sending the money to?" The only time we can try and deter somebody is if they mention they bought something off of Kijiji and have to wire the money first or the Revenue Canada scam. Another popular one is the grandchild scam where a young person calls an older person saying they're their grandchild and have been arrested and need bail money wired to them.

Last year, I had a well-established customer come in wanting to wire $25,000 to his daughter's school in the UK. He came in with cash, the transfer fee was something like $3,000. He looked like he was going to faint. I told him to go to the bank and get a draft. Plus I didn't feel comfortable having that amount of loot in my post office.

March 9, 2018 @ 10:56 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - 100% agree, DoFo is just Trump light and would be a horrible Premiere. Unfortunately, like Trump, he speaks to the disenfranchised blue collar white middle class who feels they have been forgotten....and much like Trump, he will tell them that he is just like them and wants to work for them, despite neither statement being true.

My hope is that Elliot wins!

@ Cheryl - These scams happen all the time for taxes, immigration and a number of other such services. I hate to stereotype, but it seems to be mostly people with Indian accents on the other end of the line. I enjoy messing with them. I'll tell them I am an acutall agent of CRA and that I have notified my department head and the cops should be there to see THEM soon!

March 9, 2018 @ 10:57 AM

James Edgar

Yes on Crave. Well that's probably a good thing.
We get sucked into to too many shows .

We have been watching far too much TV lately.

But more seasons will probably show up sooner than later anyway as It's apparently finishing up after one more season.

March 9, 2018 @ 10:59 AM

Philly-Bob

One more similarity between DoFo and Trump...he is already working the spin machine in the even he loses....

www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/doug-ford-wants-open-review-of-scandalous-and-ridiculous-tory-leadership-vote/ar-BBK1WPG

March 9, 2018 @ 11:03 AM

@Philly-Bob

This is because this CRA scam typically originates in India. http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cra-scam-phone-calls-india-1.3815530

March 9, 2018 @ 11:03 AM

@James Edgar

Bell wants to get you hooked and then force you to subscribe to HBO Canada to get more recent seasons!

March 9, 2018 @ 11:05 AM

Philly-Bob

@ James - your're fucked now buddy...you'll be watching GOT until your eyes bleed lol

March 9, 2018 @ 11:08 AM

Canada Revenue Agency

WE COMIN' FOR YOU, CHERYL.

March 9, 2018 @ 1:02 PM

Ben V

Mulroney or Elliot are the only logical choices.

Doug Ford should just go away altogether. If they elect him, he will say something rude about both his female competitors and will end up sinking the conservatives. He can't help it. Doug Ford doesn't like people disagreeing with him and when he can't get his way much like Rob becomes a petulant child

March 9, 2018 @ 1:37 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben - yup...much like the cheeto-in-chief to the south of us

March 9, 2018 @ 1:48 PM

bailed

@James Edgar,
It's not a given you're irrevocably hooked. I bailed on GoT after season 4 or 5. Just lost interest.

...

It saddens me that people like Trump & Ford walk among us. That people can justify supporting them confirms "there's a sucker born every minute",

March 9, 2018 @ 3:00 PM

Philly-Bob

@bailed - if it were just that a sucker was born every minute, I could perhaps forgive the supporters of these 2 buffoons. However, it's worse than that. Both men appeal to the middle class white guy who feels like no one cares about him anymore (bullshit if ever i heard...)

In the US, Trump supporters want the US of the 60's & 70's back. A US where if you worked hard and were smart with your money (and were white and straight) you could have the house in the suburbs with the wife and 2.5 kids. The problem is, that America never actually existed, it's looking at the days of our fathers with rose colored glasses. Trump and Ford convince these people that those days actually existed and that only they can bring those days back.....meanwhile it is people like Trump and Doug Sr. who created the situation we're in now...these men built their fortunes on the backs of anyone they could step on

March 9, 2018 @ 3:30 PM

@bailed

I'm 14 eps deep and it's a nice enough show and I'll keep going, but it's definitely not The Wire.

March 9, 2018 @ 3:33 PM

Irvine

So time to write. Last week I got a bit sick and hit the doctor. Just a heavy breath thing . I’m a fit guy. Eat well. Don’t smoke. Etc

I walked into the ER. Thought I had pnemonia. Not a big deal,,,,

2hours later hospital calls my Mom. You son is dead. He won’t make it. What ensues is unreal. A chopper ride into Tdot. It’s the LAST chance to save my life. I code. They’re running a ballooon to keep my heart going. A guy who jogs every day.

TM saw the post. I cheated death. I was out of it for a week. I had NO idea what the hell went on. I remember this nurse saying your GF Amanda is a sweetheart. I’m like how the fuck to you know this.

This is the most unreal moment of my life. I was dead. It just happened. I am still absorbing this

Live !

March 9, 2018 @ 3:53 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Irvine, count your self extremely fortunate to have a 2nd chance. Definitely is a perspective changer.

March 9, 2018 @ 9:15 PM

Blind Dave

@Irvine

I'm relieved to hear you're ok. Thankfully you went to the doc and didn't just ride it through as many (including me) would try and do. Fascinating story.

I've cheated death once medically as well. Shouldn't really be here but...

March 9, 2018 @ 9:40 PM

Cheryl

Well, I blocked that number that called me. I don't know why they did that, but this guy did have an accent, and I had trouble understanding him. Well, my Cavs lost again. I'm tired of this. Well, my Habs, Coyotes, and Suns will win tonight. My Orioles lost yesterday again, but my Indians and Diamondbacks won. Daylight saving time tonight. Oh well, my Google speaker, Amazon echo, and computer all automatically change their clocks.

March 10, 2018 @ 7:40 AM

Irvine.

Remember that time Mike brought me. Bacon and eggs to Toronto hospital? I do too. !

March 10, 2018 @ 7:41 AM

Urooj Islam

WCI lives!

That would have been a big loss for this site, glad you hear that you have recovered. The initial update about your hospitalization was quite ominous and offered no real specifics.

March 10, 2018 @ 1:34 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@Irvine, whenever the Toronto Mike/GLB Beer fest ever happens, Mike has to put you on the VIP invite.

March 10, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Doug Ford elected new Ontario PC Leader, Liberals high fiving Kathleen Wynne, looks like I need to find a new party to support, and isn't the Liberals/NDP.

March 10, 2018 @ 5:45 PM

Irvine

Rick. I'd come over. As I told Mike I used to drink the stuff years ago when they where a micro in Brampton. They were in these plastic green bottles. It was the early stages of the craft stufff and I was a fan.

In all seriousness as I sit here in Toronto, sometimes it's overwhelming. I think...I was just a guy who got...."a chest cold". Little did I realize I'd go to the ER and then all hell would break loose. Me...unresponsive..as a medical system struggled to keep me alive. I still cannot grasp it all

The surreal part is I remember so much, all these thoughts, all these weird things, etc. I realize now they were thoughts during that time of death. I can clearly remember them. I remember waking up mid week. I looked out the window, I thought "why am I in Toronto". Then I was trying to figure out why I had a Asian roommate (the nurse). It really hit home when one said "Amanda is so sweet". She's my GF. I kept thinking..how in the fuck do you people know this shit? My phone was off and I didn't have it so I was more lost. I would get my phone and it was overwhelming. My own son saying "I love and miss you Dad please don't go". As I read all these emails and notes it was just overwhelming. I came to realize what really happened. I still can't look at them.

March 10, 2018 @ 6:06 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Irvine - so glad to hear you're still with us. All bullshit aside, health is paramount. Be well buddy!!!

So...who is the PC leader?? No one knows lol

March 10, 2018 @ 8:15 PM

There was a PC leadership race?

March 10, 2018 @ 8:21 PM

Urooj Islam

The Ontario PC leader will be an inanimate carbon rod.

March 10, 2018 @ 9:06 PM

Urooj Islam

Doug Ford probably won and they're likely begging him behind the scenes to step aside for Mulroney or Elliot.

March 10, 2018 @ 9:38 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I could actually see Doug Ford win the next election. If you're like me you're sick and tired of Kathleen Wynne. So in that case who do you vote for? NDP ain't gonna make it, so that leaves the PC's. So who's more evil? Wynne or Ford?

March 11, 2018 @ 4:14 AM

Cheryl

I'm going to vote for my man, Glen Murray. I am not voting for Doug Ford, no way, and I'm not voting NDP. I want Glen Murray to win. Well, sports not so good last night. My Habs should have won. They did well until the end. They had a 2 to 1 lead. They lost. My Coyotes lost and my Suns lost. My Indians should have won, but they didn't. Some guy from the Padres hit a home run in the bottom of the ninth to tie it. They left the game tied. My Orioles and Diamondbacks won though. I really need my Cavs to win tonight. They better do that. I'm worried about my Cavs. It would be nice if my Nets win tonight as well, but who knows if they will. I really really need my Cavs to win.

March 11, 2018 @ 7:42 AM

Argie

Just a quick comment: the only thing more annoying than a liberal is a confused liberal calling themselves a conservative.

Not just here but on every social media site out there.

Make Ontario Great Again.

March 11, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

collingwood dave

#1.. The Raptors are finally getting recognized by ESPN and the likes, suck it up America...#2 The Leafs are playing Boston in the playoffs and I don't like it...#3 Corey Connors has a 1 shot lead over the field with Tiger 1 shot back, this Listowell On. kid was 4 when Tiger turned pro. With 1 round left to play he must be shitting himself....

March 11, 2018 @ 11:52 AM

Mike from Lowville

@ Irvine.....Wow! Horseshoes man, horseshoes. Glad you came out with both feet on the ground instead of, well you know........ Peace. ;O)

March 11, 2018 @ 12:09 PM

Urooj Islam

I want to vote for Ford just to see how he interacts with Tory after what they went through in the mayoral races in 2014. Being forced to play together after years of the Tory/Ford family feud would be great.

March 11, 2018 @ 1:52 PM

dale

The Provincial election will be a choice of either Curly, Larry & Moe, the 3 stooges.
This is not going to be pretty for next 4 years in Ont.

March 11, 2018 @ 3:28 PM

JJ

Such doom & gloom from Mike's blogosphere. Guess Christine Elliot is feeling alot like John Tory. Just cant seem to win the big one.

They were talking about 1300 votes so u know how close it was. It is too bad Elliot didn't win it. She would of been a formidable foe to Dalton Jr. Guess the PC didn't want a 3 women race for the Premiership.

March 11, 2018 @ 4:48 PM

Philly-Bob

Holy Shit, Argie's back!!

I will hold my nose and vote Ford. I just can't take Wynne for one second longer.

What I'm afraid of is that the PC have shot themselves in the foot again like with Hudak. They should have picked Elliot then and ended up handing Wynne a majority. Backlash against Ford may lead to more of the same...

March 11, 2018 @ 8:39 PM

Sorry Bob

re: Philly-Bob: "I will hold my nose and vote Ford."

Harper was bad enough but with Trump\Ford now personifying what today's Conservatives are, support & represent, I can safely say I'll never ever even consider voting Conservative again.

Be it Wynne, be Horwath .. whomever best ensures we do not have a Doug Ford premier, will get my vote.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:13 AM

Cheryl

I'm voting for Glen Murray. It's Glen Murray for me. That's who it will be, and he is Liberal. I hope he will still be running. My Cavs lost last night. That's so awful. Why can't they win. I don't know why they're losing so much. My Nets lost as well, but my Coyotes won. My Indians played split squads. They won one game, but lost the other. My Diamondbacks lost, but my Orioles won. My Habs better win tonight. Come on Habs.

March 12, 2018 @ 7:45 AM

James Edgar

@Irvine Wow glad you made it through that GWS

March 12, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

jj

Philly-Bob - sorry but holding your nose and voting for Rob, will do Ontario an even bigger injustice. that's wht a lot of people did with Trump. And I haven't forgiven anyone for putting my family in more danger because of their voting.

I implore you, don't do that to Ontario. I understand why people don't like her, but voting for Ford will take us socially back to the dark ages.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:25 AM

Regardless of who won that PC leadership race, I wasn't going to vote for the PC party. Of course, I might be the last person standing who actually likes Kathleen Wynne.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

And in Toronto media news, which I'll probably write an entry about later today, Steve Anthony announced he's leaving CP24 Breakfast at the end of the month.

Here's an interesting exchange we just had two weeks ago:

March 12, 2018 @ 10:29 AM

Ben V

I can't stand the whole " I'll hold my nose and vote for Doug" Say what you want about the other two parties. You are either ok with a blatant sexist, homophobic bully or you aren't. Nothing else matters, because a vote for him condones those views. There is no other way to slice or dice it or even making excuses.

Doug Ford is patently unqualified to run this province. So holding your nose and voting for someone like that is exactly what got trump elected. Spoil your vote to make a statement, but don't hold your nose.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:44 AM

@ Ben V

I'm with you on this.

Do we want Doug Ford messing with our health care? Or with our schools?

I certainly don't.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

Argie

"Do we want Doug Ford messing with our health care? Or with our schools?

....our gas plants, e-health, sucking up to the public sector unions and other special interest groups. I'll take Doug any day over the disorganized, crooked regime currently in power.

This is going to be Trump-like hysteria part two! Can't wait.

March 12, 2018 @ 10:55 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Ben & JJ - you are 100% correct, and perhaps a protest ballot is my best option. I just can not, in good conscience, vote Wynne for another term. Everything you said about Ford is true (I'm pretty sure I said the same things about him last week) but I just can not reward the Liberals for the constant lies and self interest with another term in office. They have been robbing the taxpayers blind for over a decade and laugh at us every time we try to hold them accountable.

As I said on the weekend..the conservatives have shot themselves in the foot yet again by putting Trump-lite at the head of their party.

....I'm really not sure what I'm going to do come June

March 12, 2018 @ 10:56 AM

Sid_V

It looks like the politics of division is back in full force in Ontario. Based on Ford's (and his party's) past behaviour, I expect the next few months will be filled with US-style attack ads without a whole lot of substance or platform specifics. I can see it creeping into the comments above already.

Being decent, credible human being, who respects the truth and the intelligence of their constituents in words and actions, is a prerequisite for win my support. (Acknowledging that I may be in the minority on this.) Ford has shown a very tenuous relationship with the truth during his mayoral campaign.

When someone is consistently lumping together their opposition to make a point (the lefties this, the bleeding hearts that, etc.) they are saying a lot more about themselves than they are about their opposition. I can't bring myself to support anyone who approaches politics as a zero-sum game, figuring the only way to build up their appeal is by attacking someone else. Canada soundly rejected this type of campaign in the federal election, so it is mind-boggling that the PC's picked a leader who is pretty much is the poster child for this approach.

Holding my nose and supporting Doug Ford is not an option for me, even though the current government is way past its best-before date. What a mess.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

Sid_V

(Wow, a lot of grammar issues above. Sorry).

March 12, 2018 @ 11:02 AM

markosaar

I'm confident Ford will win due to people being, rightfully or wrongly, tired of Wynne. Not looking forward to 4+ years of his shitty "folksy" populism.

@Cheryl, sorry but you can't vote for Glen Murray. He resigned last year and is not running again.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:06 AM

Ben V

Can always rely on Argie to represent the part of society that just wants to see the world burn. Eff polotics and people. Lets see how these crazy guys can stir up trouble. We can ignore the fact that they don't get anything done as long as the piss off the media and get liberals angry.

Again he proves he's ok being with the homophobe, racist and sexist candidate.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:43 AM

H.o.E.

Is he going to claim he can get entire new subway lines built quickly and cheaply, with mysterious unnamed (and nonexistent) private corporations paying for them?

March 12, 2018 @ 11:44 AM

jj

Philly-Bob - Protest away! I understand everyone is sick of Wynne, (Except Mike) and I am 50/50 on her myself too! But also, I was never voting PC anyway. I just wish people who were voting PC could understand the bigger picture of voting for Rob Ford!

March 12, 2018 @ 11:46 AM

jj

Argie - all the warnings about Trump were accurate. I personally don't want someone who thinks that abortion should be illegal, who has a serious criminal past or ties to a criminal past, and other issues. Trump in office endangers millions around the world, not just Americans but Canadians also. Anyone who votes for Rob Ford, essentially does not care about Ontario on a whole.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:55 AM

Argie

@Ben
The only people doing the burning, destruction of property and causing shit are the far-left ANITFA types (which I'm sure you're familiar with....) who can't accept losing. Oh, how about the crazies down south who'll sit in the street and yell indiscriminately for 5 minutes, solid? I'm sure that's on its way to Canada.

And to throw out the tired nonsensical salvo "homophobe, racist and sexist candidate" it only shows your desperation. Keep trying. Ben.

March 12, 2018 @ 12:49 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - Trump is a piece of human garbage, and anyone who defends/supports him is human garbage as well. There is no Conservative vs. Liberal ideologies here, there is what is right and what is wrong.

Trump is wrong..no debate..just wrong.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:05 PM

Argie

@Philly-Bob

Ya know trashing Trump and/or me will still not ingratiate yourself with Mike, Ben and the other lefties here. They still hate you for being just a wee bit conservative.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:11 PM

Ben V

@Argie: Ah yes it was Antifa and not the alt right that mowed someone down with a car... Or the numerous instances of increased racial attacks in the US since trump became president. Live in the bubble if you want, but Trump and Doug are enablers. Sometimes there is as big a message in what you say as in what you don't say..

You are also smart enough to know I didn't mean that in the literal sense of setting fires.

You want to talk about time on their hands go take a look at any right wing message board FB page or any number of right wing outlets. The hours people devote in these groups to being keyboard warriors is surprising.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:36 PM

markosaar

LOL you're still such a snowflake.

@Philly-Bob,

I apologise for asking you to eff off a few weeks ago. I was stressed, and tired of seeing the same old talking points used yet again after years, but that was a pretty pathetic way to make a point.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

markosaar

"Snowflake" was directed at Argie not Ben haha.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Argie - Mike's never been anything but cordial to me. Ben has told me to fuck off on a couple of occasions. Both are a little too far left for my liking. But I'll take a pig headed Lefty over a pig headed Righty any day of the week. (pig headed lefties tend to not support things that kill children)

If you support Trump and the horrible things he does, I'll send a big fat "fuck you" from my lonely seat in the centre isle.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:39 PM

Philly-Bob

@ markosaar - no harm, no foul buddy. We all get worked up form time to time. As I just said, I'll take a pig headed lefty over a pig headed righty any day of the week.

And here is sit...all alone in the middle (*sob*)

March 12, 2018 @ 1:43 PM

Argie

@Ben
How about all of the violent protests against any conservative-minded speaker at universities today? Why do you think Jordan Peterson is the hottest writer around today.

As for racist-motivated attacks, most have proved to be hoaxes - much like the one here in Toronto with the phantom hijab attack. The media and our laughable PM were quick to jump on it without asking for the facts only to be fooled, once again.

As for right wing message boards, I don't follow them. If you tell me there are plenty out there, I guess I'll have to believe you. All I know is that I get bombarded with anti-Trump (and soon anti-Ford) updates from friends and family members on Facebook. I've even had to stop following some of them. Its tiresome really.

I get it, lots of people don't like Trump. Shit like that only motivates Trump.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:49 PM

Argie

@Philly
Unlike you and a few others here, I can have a debate without telling the other person to eff off or eff you. But its ok, there's help for you.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:53 PM

James Edgar

@Philly-Bob you're not entirely alone i'm pretty much in the middle too. i won't vote for Ford. I might have probably would have voted for Elliott just to get rid of Wynne who i despise.

Now i'm not sure who I could possibly look at seriously.

And the campaign coming up will nasty as hell which is just fucking great.

March 12, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

Ben V

@Argie: I don't agree with protests that result in someone not being able to talk. I don't like Jordan Peterson. I read his book the 12 rules for life. It was boring and had too many biblical metaphors and references for my liking. But if he wants to go and say dumb crap at a university then he should be allowed. People can and should protest if they don't like what he's going to say, but they shouldn't stop him or anyone from talking. However where do you draw the line when said speaker is inciting violence? Because there are enough impressionable people with low iq's that misinterpret these already extreme views and turn it to violence?

I don't know what hoaxes you are referring to in the states?? One hoax in Ontario does not make it an epidemic.

March 12, 2018 @ 2:01 PM

Argie

@Ben
I agree completely on the manor of feee speech. If there’s any incitement of violence it must be stopped. From either side of the political spectrum.

March 12, 2018 @ 2:15 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm gonna vote for Ford. Sick and tired of Wynne. She's gotta go.

March 12, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

FlapJacks

As the saying goes, "The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour."

Doug Ford's record as a Toronto city councillor:

- 3rd worst attendance over four years.

- He missed 53% of council votes in 2014.

- Found guilty of violating city council code of conduct by lobbying city officials on behalf of his Deco clients.

- Supported the cancellation of Toronto's Transit City transit plan, costing the city $65 million.

- His claim of helping the city save a billion dollars was called "misleading" by city finance staff.

- He said a home for developmentally-disabled children in his neighbourhood "ruined the community".

He's not the saviour many think he is.

March 12, 2018 @ 5:36 PM

Philly-Bob

@markosaar- that is so me right now. I can't not vote, but damn if I know who to vote for

March 12, 2018 @ 10:57 PM

markosaar

It's brutal. Wynne is not a great candidate. While I don't necessarily have a problem with her, her party has been responsible for many gross controversies that deserve to have them voted out. Yet even having been handed it on a silver platter, the opposition refuses to field an acceptable candidate.

Ultimately I hope this signals the deathknell of social conservatism in Ontario, but unfortunately I am prepared that Ford is going to win and set us back another several decades.

But IF the Liberals somehow pull another win, the PCs will be beyond idiotic to keep fielding social conservatives and I think we might actually get somewhere.

March 12, 2018 @ 11:20 PM

Cheryl

Well, so no more Glen Murray. Well, my trainer will vote Liberal, so I'll vote Liberal, but I don't even know who is running. My Habs sucked last night. They lost. They need Carey Price back for sure. That's awful he's injured. Well, baseball was good yesterday. My Indians won and my Orioles won. My Diamondbacks didn't play. My Cavs and my Suns play each other tonight. My Suns won't make the playoffs. My Cavs need to win. Also I really really really need my Nets to win. Come on Nets, please win.

March 13, 2018 @ 6:59 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Cheryl: If your trainer was gonna go jump off a bridge, would you go with him? If the Vegas Golden Knights was his favorit team, would you be a VGK fan too? I'm not trying to be an asshole, but can you not make your own decisions and form your own opinions? I'm sorry but I just find that insane.

March 13, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

jj

Jason from Sudbury - a lot of people vote on the decisions of others, and make their life decisions that way. you, and everyone need to give Cheryl a wee break now.

And i'll take her vote over you admitting you're voting for DF knowing his track record - and I know everyone is sick of our current premier, but he isn't the better option, sorry.

March 13, 2018 @ 9:25 AM

do not fall prey

@Jason from Sudbury

I'm in Toronto. We've seen plenty of Doug Ford up close & in action. He's nothing but a bombastic, blowhard, boor of a con-man. Please do not fall prey to his slogans masquerading as policy.

March 13, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Philly-Bob

After listening to the interview on this link

I've decided I'm an NDP man this year. All I hear when he talks is Trump. He's smarter than everyone, he has the business experience, only he can save us. He bullied and belittled that reporter because he didn't like her questions.

This is not what I want from my Leaders. A leader needs to have class, a leader needs to be able to convince people of the merit of his or her plan, not attack and bully.

Congratulations PC party of Ontario, for the second time you've managed to completely screw up what should have been a resounding victory by naming the worst possible option as your leader.

God I hope enough people vote NDP

March 13, 2018 @ 8:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I am going to be a contrarian on the Doug Ford issue here. He wasn't my choice for the PC leader, but rallied the support in the right places to get the leadership win.
If the $300 billion debt the Liberals are leaving behind, and the under funding of critical medical care, education (low test scores come to mind) isn't enough to be worried of, maybe it is time to change the channel. Interest rates are going to rise, so will the cost to service the debt, having paid around 14 % to have a mortgage at one time, is enough to remind me of how much money went to pay the bank and not reduce my debt.

March 13, 2018 @ 8:31 PM

dale

Our company had a lot of work done with Deco Labels as a supplier which the Ford Bro. own. Met him a couple of times & initially thought a good person & supplier. However, as years passed he & brother Randy became complete BULLY's demanding with their work ethic. The people that work at Deco Label & Tags I really feel sorry for them as their turnover employee rate is large.
Folks, Folks (as his tag word) Is, That's all Folks.

March 13, 2018 @ 8:51 PM

do not fall prey

re: Philly-Bob: "He bullied and belittled that reporter because he didn't like her questions."

This is classic Doug Ford. Bully, insult, shout over everyone. Saw it many times during the Toronto mayoralty race from both Ford & his travelling mob of supporters.

Class & Ford ... never the twain shall meet.

Ford is just like Trump. When they show you who they are, believe them.

March 13, 2018 @ 9:16 PM

Argie

@philly
Just got off the phone with Andrea Horvath. She tells me she doesn’t want your vote. She suggested the Rhino or Marxist parties.

March 13, 2018 @ 9:26 PM

Jason from Sudbury

If I knew for sure that enough people would vote NDP I would be all in. I'm not sure they have a chance though.

March 13, 2018 @ 9:36 PM

Cheryl's Trainer

TEN HUT, MAGGOT!

March 13, 2018 @ 10:03 PM

Cheryl

No, of course I wouldn't jump off a bridge. My trainer wouldn't do that. I wouldn't switch to the Golden Showers either. Well, hockey was good last night. My Habs won for once. Also my Coyotes won. My Cavs also won over my Suns. That's great. I wanted my Cavs to win even though it was against my Suns. My Nets didn't win though. My Nets blew it. Well, my Orioles won yesterday. My Indians and Diamondbacks didn't play. My trainer does not post on this blog so stop pretending you're my trainer.

March 14, 2018 @ 7:08 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Cheryl: They're actually called the Golden Knights, not "Golden Showers", someone was having some fun at your expense.
From one Habs fan to another, they won't make the playoffs this year, but here's hoping they get a high draft pic in the first round. Also, Karey Price is out with a concussion so I'm thinking he'll probably be shut down for the rest of the season, or at least he should be anyway. There would be no point in playing him now.

March 14, 2018 @ 8:45 AM

Sid_V

I am working on a movie script about a quiet, unassuming guy who invites local celebrities into his basement as part of a little podcasting venture. The hook is, an alarming number of these celebrities disappear or meet horrible ends shortly afterwards.

Does anyone here have contacts in the broadcast industry who I could pitch this to?

March 14, 2018 @ 9:01 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Jj: What's with the attitude towards me? Compared to others on this blog I'm not sure I was giving Cheryl a hard time. I asked a question, while there are some who are constantly on her case week after week, some even commenting anonymously, or even going as far as pretending to be her trainer. I just don't understand how and why her trainer has such an influence on her, to the point where she's basing all of her decisions on what her trainer says and does. That's all I was getting at.

March 14, 2018 @ 9:06 AM

@Sid_V

I stand by my record. 312 episodes and every guest is alive today!

March 14, 2018 @ 9:16 AM

jj

Jason from Sudbury - there was barely anything attitude like in my comment. that's why i said you and everyone else, need to give Cheryl a wee break. I responded to you, and everyone else who has been giving her a hard time (way worse than you a lot of other people are, I agree). the way you posed the question to her, seemed full of attitude hence my response, similar in kind it seems. no harm, no foul!

March 14, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@jj: Gotcha. We're good.

March 14, 2018 @ 9:34 AM

Morbid Idea

Let's have a pool. Who will be the first Toronto Mike'd guest to croak?

March 14, 2018 @ 9:35 AM

jj

Jason from Sudbury - all good! :)

March 14, 2018 @ 10:20 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Morbid idea: That's fucked up. lol

March 14, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

Anonymous

@Morbid Idea

I'll pick Bob Elliott because I think he's 100.

March 14, 2018 @ 11:01 AM

Anonomass

The true story about Kerry Price was that she was at her hairdresser after hours one evening and the lid of the hair dryer accidentally fell on her head causing a boo-boo.
That is the truth of the matter I know for sure cause my mechanics step-brother told me so, I know it is trew.

March 14, 2018 @ 12:17 PM

Cheryl's Trainer

@Jason from Sudbury

I! CAN'T! HEAR! YOU!

March 14, 2018 @ 12:40 PM

Philly-Bob

Whoever keeps posting as Cheryl's trainer, knock it off. There's a backstory with her, she's a real sweetheart and doesn't need the aggravation.

Seriously...stop it!

March 14, 2018 @ 12:46 PM

andrew

@ Philly-Bob
Agree with your comment. Mike you could/should delete any neg. comments regarding Cheryl.
She is a long time family member for all Open Mikes & writes everyday. Yes, a real sweetheart, even though I disagree more than agree with her.

March 14, 2018 @ 1:09 PM

mdoucette77

@Philly Bob and Andrew: yeah, that's one of the main things I dislike about anonymous posting. You have adults bullying another individual (in this case, Cheryl), which is complete bullshit. If they followed the Open Mike threads they'd be able to realize that Cheryl lives with unique circumstances, yet these bullies still feel it is necessary to tease and make fun of Cheryl's posting/writing style. It is complete garbage that in 2018, when we try to teach today's youth to be accepting of others that there are still adults out there that feel the need to bully people with disabilities.

March 14, 2018 @ 2:05 PM

Philly-Bob

@mdoucette77 - unfortunately we have grown men and women who visit this board that are complete and utter Trolls. Mike does the best he can to police it, but he has a life outside of this blog, and chasing the trolls would be a full time job.

Cheryl - just ignore the assholes, keep talking about your teams or whatever else interests you.

March 14, 2018 @ 2:23 PM

Anonymous

Philly-Bob, mdoucette77, andrew - exactly.

whomever is posting as her trainer, Anonomass - STOPt. Your behaviour is truly unwarranted, not needed and you're sullying an otherwise wonderful experience we're all enjoying here.

March 14, 2018 @ 3:40 PM

dale

@All
I also agree as Cheryl in an integral part of this podcast. We all have our comments about everything but it isn't proper to chastise a person for making their own.
Cheryl, looks like you are loved by most here & disregard negative comments.
Go Leafs Go

March 14, 2018 @ 4:53 PM

jj

The anon above dale, is moi!

Keep on doin you, Cheryl.

March 14, 2018 @ 5:32 PM

dale

@jj
NOT ME. Never used anon or anonymous. I tag my name.

March 14, 2018 @ 5:38 PM

jj

@dale - no I accidentally posted as Anon. I am the Anon who posted before you!

March 14, 2018 @ 8:11 PM

WCI

@Sid_V

I stand by my record. 312 episodes and every guest is alive today!

Plus 1 whose never been on the show Mike lol.

*sings*

March 14, 2018 @ 8:17 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Ok, if Irv is in Toronto, he definitely needs to make an appearance on Toronto Mike'd. We need to make that happen. Mike you know damn well it would be your most downloaded podcast.

March 14, 2018 @ 8:34 PM

Cheryl

Well, my trainer is a very good friend of mine. I like to do what he does but not all the time. Sometimes I don't know who to vote for, so I vote for who my trainer votes for. Well, nothing much happened in sports last night except baseball was really good. My Orioles, Indians and Diamondbacks all won. That's great. I know they're the Golden Knights, but someone was calling them the Golden Showers.

March 15, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

@Cheryl

The Leafs won an exciting one last night in a shootout. You'd have loved it. Join the fun, there's room for one more!

March 15, 2018 @ 8:32 AM

Irv

@Jason

Well the truth is I been in Toronto for 3 weeks or more now, but I'm in the hospital. If you didn't read, I got this weird pneumonia which in turn shut down my heart. The result was a space of time where I was not really here.

The real truth is the brittle, in your face Irvine is gone forever now man. I died. I got a second chance in this world. I'm just so happy I have a chance to keep kicking out the jams that I'll never be angry again. The last years take my breath away. A couple years ago my wife got sick and then her Dad died without warning. She sat on my balcony for 2 days calling for her Dad to come back and not leave her. I had to carry to her the car, drive to the airport and put her on a plane to go home. I knew I'd never see her again. She never functioned again either. I had to keep going forward and then 3 weeks ago I was on life support with 8 tubes sticking out of me. And a GF who showed up and told me while I was out there was no way I was leaving her. I still believe I'm alive because of her

I'm just happy I'm here. Now, could I kick out the jams? Oh yeah. In my world there is no format there is only music which is life.

March 15, 2018 @ 9:26 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Irv: I knew about what had happened, but forgot you were still in the hospital. That is some crazy shit though.

March 15, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

jj

Irv - did not realize you were still in hosptial, and wishing you a strong and long life.

March 15, 2018 @ 11:09 AM

I've busted your chops before

@Irv\WCI ..

It was certainly an extreme catalyst to induce the change but yes, shedding the anger, bitterness & cynicism is indeed a good thing. Anything to tone down today's toxic environment is welcome.

Best wishes for your recovery.

March 15, 2018 @ 1:10 PM

Irv

@Jason

The first responder told my Mom I was one of the "worst cases" he'd seen before. The prevailing opinion was I was going to die. In fact the truth is my entire family believed it was the end and I know some of the medical staff were surprised to see me after the fact. A medical specialist told me my recover is "remarkable".

Biopsy is back and *no cancer*. So that was the last big hurdle. That's the real relief. All things aside, this type of thing has a way of clearing your soul. I've seen a few patients in here who look like they have just gave up. I just think not me. The Boston song Don't Look Back says it best

March 15, 2018 @ 1:45 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
Would not have taken you for a Boston fan!!! Congrats on your second chance!

March 15, 2018 @ 1:48 PM

Irv

@basement

Actually, Boston is one of my fav classic rock bands of all time. Tom Scholtz was always that anti rock star & never seemed interested in the life. He seemed more like the nerd who locked himself up at home and just played guitar. And he's a genius guitar player too . Lyrically I like the message..don't take like to seriously and don't sweat the small stuff. Brad Delp is a great singer with a huge range. Too bad he ended up committing suicide.

March 15, 2018 @ 4:49 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Irv
Couldn't agree more about Scholtz and Delp. Glad I got to see them back in 2003.
As for the suicide of B. Delp, there was a twisted sense of irony at play that a committed
vegetarian used a couple of charcoal grills to end his life. Not funny in the slightest I know,
but this always reminds me of the preachy booklets included in the inferior latter day Boston
albums.