Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 302: Dave Hodge Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 302In this 302nd episode, Dave Hodge names his 100 favourite songs of all-time. This episode is exactly 1:46:36.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Dave Hodge and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Two KOTJ episodes in two days, MOST INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for making this horrible winter a lot more palatable, if even only for a couple hours at a time!!!

January 18, 2018 @ 2:32 PM

Barry

I've been looking forward to this one. I started seeing him in a different light after his first appearance, where we learned what a passionate music fan he is (and not the dinosaur about it that people might assume a "mature" person to be).

January 18, 2018 @ 3:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Best KOTJ episode yet!! This man's breadth of knowledge, dedication to and enthusiasm for both
recorded and live music is beyond reproach. The fact that he is still so passionate about discovering
and supporting new music, especially up and coming Canadian bands, is truly most remarkable. Also, in an age where misguided TV programs like CTV's The Launch are desperately trying to create the
next big (temporary!) hit, this episode should be used as "Exhibit A" in any argument of why GOOD
(I know, I know, everyone is entitled to their own particular musical tastes!!) MUSIC still matters!
Looks like myself and many others have some digital crate-digging homework ahead!!!

January 18, 2018 @ 3:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I only went five for ten on identifying the songs off of their first lines:
#s 10,8,7,5, and 4 I knew. While #s 9,6,3,2,1 I could not conjure from only a handful of
words! This would be a great party trick to break out again on future episodes of KOTJ!!!

January 18, 2018 @ 5:03 PM

Urooj Islam

Thanks for all the content this week, Mike, hope you are feeling better after the last few days.

January 18, 2018 @ 7:12 PM

dale

Awesome Podcast Mike. Dave Hodge knows his SHIT - sports & music.
Thanks

January 18, 2018 @ 8:06 PM

GeddyNeilAlex

Here is a mini top ten, no particular order:

10. Tom Sawyer Rush
9. Everybody Hurts REM
8. Winterlong Neil Young
7. In My Time of Dying Led Zeppelin
6. High Voltage AC DC
5. Cordelia Tragically Hip
4. Total Love Teenage Head
3. Battery Metallica
2. The Wonder of You. Elvis Presley
1. Living After Midnight Judas Priest

January 19, 2018 @ 9:57 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@GeddyNeilAlex
Very eclectic list!! Would not have expected that Elvis track based on that handle.
Once again this definitely proves that you can't always judge the proverbial book
by its cover!!

January 19, 2018 @ 10:05 AM

@Urroj Islam

Thanks. When the shortness of breath arrived, I finally caved and saw a doctor. I have pneumonia. So if anyone wants to hear what podcasts sound like when the host has pneumonia, listen to the Gare Joyce and Dave Hodge episodes.

January 19, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
You sounded pretty good for a guy in the throes of a pneumonia battle!!
Kudos for persevering like a true champion and providing us with nearly
four hours of captivating content over the last several days. Hope you're
feeling better ASAP!!

January 19, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I felt much stronger for Hodge than for Joyce, but I've been so lethargic since Monday.

I'm glad I saw the doc instead of just assuming it was viral because with these pills I should be better soon.

January 19, 2018 @ 10:21 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
The fact that you soldiered on through your lethargy and symptoms only goes to show once
again why you are the BEST!!!

January 19, 2018 @ 10:23 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

On Tuesday I couldn't even take my boy to his hockey game. It's the first time I've missed one of his games in ten years, except for games I was out of town for.

Monday evening to Wednesday morning is a complete blur.... I've never had so little energy.

By noon on Wednesday, jam kicking was just what the doctor ordered.

January 19, 2018 @ 10:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Be sure to tweet that out the next time one of the KOTJ dissenters dares to complain about there
being too many consecutive KOTJ episodes in a row. To paraphrase the infamous C. Walken sketch on
SNL: "Guess What? I got a fever! And the only prescription is... MORE KOTJ!" Nuff Said!!

January 19, 2018 @ 10:33 AM

garej

Yeezus, Mike. Be careful I've had pneumonia a couple of times and once it put my heart out of rhythm very badly and not for a little time.

I do have a bit about the after-effects of pneumonia which is at the tail end of this Maclean's article I wrote about doing standup comedy. Excerpted below

“Ten years back I came down with pneumonia. Doctor checked me out. He said, ‘Your heart is operating at 15 per cent efficiency. Do you have any questions?’ I said, ‘Yeah, should I spring for a yearly parking permit or just go monthly?’
“I got the paddles three times. Trying to get my heart into rhythm. Didn’t work. The only lasting effect: I get sick to my stomach when I call CAA for a boost.
“So I had to have heart surgery. I get wheeled into the OR. Do you know what it’s like when you don’t know if it’s the last time you’ll see the love of your life? My missus said, ‘I love you.’ I couldn’t bring myself to say what I wanted to: ‘I hate sticking you with the Visa bill.’
“She was weeping. Maybe she knew.
“I’m right as rain now. Heart’s like a bass drum. But I check my pulse. If I ever check it and it’s not there, well, I don’t know what I’d do. I’d figure out something fast.
“Thanks for being a great audience. I gotta go charge Joe’s defibrillator.”

I did sorta think you were going to faint dead away once or twice. Rest up.

January 19, 2018 @ 12:45 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@garej
Would definitely make for a great stand-up routine ( if it already hasn't!), even if the
subject matter is no laughing matter. Great article, BTW!! First became aware of your
extracurricular comedy career through reading it almost two years ago!

January 19, 2018 @ 12:50 PM

RockGolf

That was so interesting that I made a Spotify playlist of the entire top 100. It's linked in my name above.
Couple of acts or songs I couldn't find. No Tara Lightfoot, and the Lucinda Williams track was on an album Spotify doesn't have so I replaced it. But otherwise, give it a try.

January 20, 2018 @ 3:17 PM

stephen in niagara

Hodge delivers!
Easily one of the best KOJTs.
Going to burn a disk with a few of his choices.

January 21, 2018 @ 1:40 PM

Javed Jafri

@RockGolf

Saw the list. Very happy top see Uncle Tupelo and the two main off shoots. Some amazing selections. Have not had time to listen to episode yet but plan to.

January 21, 2018 @ 8:11 PM

MrTwister

That was an excellent & exhausting musical journey! Kudos to you Mike for handling Hodge so very well. As many have already said you are outstanding at managing even the most unique personalities. I don't think Dave in particular has been on the other side of the mic all that often and you gave that KOTJ a flow that most pros could not have pulled off.

January 22, 2018 @ 12:31 PM

@garej

Eek!

As I was leaving the doctor's office to get my meds, I asked him if I could stay active. He told me if I have the energy to do it, I can do it.

I guess this is what people refer to as walking pneumonia. I'm doing everything I'd normally do, just taking the antibiotics to kill the infection in my lung. This better not fuck up my heart... I need that!

January 22, 2018 @ 1:01 PM

Harles

Any chance anyone has Dave's top 100 list written out? There were a few I was curious to check out.
Great episode btw.