Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 299: Matt Gurney

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 299In this 299th episode, Mike chats with Global News Radio 640 Toronto morning show co-host Matt Gurney about his years at the National Post, working with Supriya Dwivedi at 640, recent changes at the station and millennials. Matt also ranks the Star Wars movies and discusses his favourite song of all-time. This episode is exactly 2:18:22.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Matt Gurney and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Logan Whyte

Gurney and Stafford have never hosted together. Supriya and Stafford have hosted together multiple times. It's pretty amateur-ish that you would have gotten that wrong, and it's downright weird that Gurney would not have known that he has never hosted with Stafford. You should issue a correction since the facts are wrong and you guys go on about fake news which is ironic.

January 10, 2018 @ 5:12 PM

SOWNY

The two of them did segments together recently http://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=12134#p12134

January 10, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

Logan

Lol my friend works at Global. Trust me, Stafford does not like Gurney and they do not have chemistry. Nobody likes Gurney at Corus except for maybe Supriya since they were at CJAD together. He has a reputation for being a jerk and shows up late for work.

January 10, 2018 @ 5:43 PM

@Logan

You're clearly a passionate 640 listener. They're lucky to have you.

On this episode, I merely paraphrased what I had read at http://gta.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=12134#p12134 and mentioned that someone liked Matt and Mike together. That's all. Matt and Mike did something together and someone on SOWNY wrote that they liked it.

When Stafford joined Matt Gurney, who was solo, last Thursday and Friday for the crossover chat before his show around twenty to 9am, it was radio gold. The two shared easy interesting peer to peer conversation about topics that was easily on a par with Ryan Doyle and Jay Michaels over on 1010.

'Mornings with Mike and Matt' is never gonna happen, but at that time Mon-Fri it's worth tuning in to.

You can fake laughter on the radio, but chemistry, not so much.

Specifically, Stafford and Gurney do crossover segments. The one Matt was talking about with his grandmother was one of those after 8:30.

January 10, 2018 @ 5:53 PM

Stafford

I do work at Global but it's called Corus. Trust me. And trust me, I do not hate Matt. Trust me. We have only worked together on short show-crossovers. Trust me. I've got an attractive penis tattoo. That, from a friend who works at Global. Seriously trust me.

January 10, 2018 @ 6:01 PM

Rick2

Most awesome clarification I have ever read, trust me !!

January 10, 2018 @ 6:10 PM

Trust Me

Stafford is the best. Trust me.

January 10, 2018 @ 6:11 PM

elvis

Well, consider that axe ground.

January 10, 2018 @ 6:14 PM

Logan

Ah, thanks for the clarification T-Mike. But I’m not really a passionate listener, my wife is. And Stafford my bad I guess, but since you’re on here, maybe you could clarify if Gurney has that reputation or not of being rude and if he shows up to work on time. Bcuz I heard Gurney was a big reason why the producer left

January 10, 2018 @ 6:20 PM

markosaar

Dang I just wanted to whine about Attack of the Clones!

(Easily the worst for me: I can't watch the Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman scenes ... Such unbelievably cringe-inducing dialogue.)

January 10, 2018 @ 6:32 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Anonymous
Niiice!! Great film!!!

January 10, 2018 @ 6:33 PM

Stafford

To my knowledge no producer ever left the current morning show with the exception of Ryan Bonnar when he was knighted and now sits in the House of Lords. Are you thinking of Lyndsey? She worked on the previous morning show. In God We Trust Me.

January 10, 2018 @ 8:02 PM

Grilled Cheese

I remember Ryan.

January 10, 2018 @ 9:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Now I can't wait to download and listen!

January 10, 2018 @ 10:19 PM

Sir Giggle Tights

@Grilled Cheese: I consumed some grilled.cheese today for lunch. White processed cheese, instead of yellow processed cheese. It was on sale.

@Stafford: Did you know that Bono was also knighted in the past, during an earlier stage of his existence? He's best known for his musical contributions to Batman Forever and Moulin Rouge. Plus, they say he ranks #39 on the list of Male Singers You Most Wish You Could Sound Like? Bryan Adams is #28, and Soft Cell's Marc Almond is, sadly, #206.

January 10, 2018 @ 10:53 PM

Maya Balzitch

Mr Tights, did you know that you make a grilled cheese sammy using a common clothes iron? I don't recommend doing this at work or zapping bacon for that matter either.

As far as the morning show, take some calls. Until then I'll be supporting the sports stations. (Except for that junk MyPillow).

Cheers.

January 11, 2018 @ 7:56 AM

Coast to Coast

Coast to Coast had the largest shares on 640. Moving those number up the dial is a win for 1010.

January 11, 2018 @ 8:27 AM

James Edgar

Not surprised that Coast to Coast had big numbers. Funnest comedy show in history. Hilarious guests that were so dead pan you'd think they were serious if they weren't talking about nonsense all the time.

I didn't realize it had moved to 1010 I'll have to tune in.

January 11, 2018 @ 9:30 AM

Philly-Bob

@ markosaar - I went to college with Hayden's sister (did not know she was his sister at the time) around the time Attack of the Clones came out. I was ripping his acting in class one day..specifically mocking the "sand get's everywhere" part and she called me an asshole and stormed out....at which point one of her friends said "you know he's her brother right?"

Suffice to say, foot in mouth moment. I apologized to her and pointed out that he was in star wars while I was sitting in a class at Humber North, so he's probably not too worried about my opinion.

January 11, 2018 @ 9:39 AM

markosaar

I have nothing against the actors ... they were given just the worst script. There was no salvaging that dreck.

January 11, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Boy, does this guy sound a heck of a lot like Seth MacFarlane doing Brian on Family Guy!!
For most of the last 15 years I've regularly gone to the movies alone. One downside to this is
that it makes it hard (absolutely no pun intended whatsoever!!!) to do proper tribute to that
legendary scene from the movie Diner involving Mickey Rourke and his movie date (and a very
infamous hollowed-out popcorn bag!!!) Please note: In no way, shape or form am I endorsing that
kind of reckless public behaviour!!!

January 11, 2018 @ 1:08 PM

Nebojša

It would be fascinating to find out which particular column of Barbara Kay's resonated with young Gurney to such an extent that the budding academic felt compelled to write her an email so impressive that it eventually led to him getting untold opportunities in Canadian corporate media.

Kay's political views are usually atrociously vile. She and the Rebel are a match made in heaven.

January 14, 2018 @ 5:36 PM

mdoucette77

Hey Mike. Great episode as usual. The conversation you had near the ending regarding heroes for your children really got me thinking...who can today's youth look up to? A couple of names that quickly come to mind would be Malala Yousafzai and Craig Keilburger...two individuals that strive to do what is right, and work hard to achieve their goals. And I agree with both you and Matt. I think as a human Obama would be good (first African-American president, overcoming the odds/adversity, etc.), but Matt made a great point that a politician is going to make decisions that are tough and controversial. How can you look up to someone that orders missile strikes that hurt/kill civilians? I don't think there is any one person that today's youth can look up to, but attributes from a variety of people to become leaders in their own right. It's just a matter of finding those role models and focusing attention on them, and not the pop culture icons that are popular because of Instagram and Twitter followers/retweets.

Also, and this may just be me, but I found the tone and cadence of Matt's voice to be very similar to Allan Cross. Am I the only one that thought that?

January 22, 2018 @ 10:12 AM

the brother

@bsmntdwllr73 I don't think Matt sounds anything like Seth! If I had to pick someone he resembles on Toronto radio it would be Alan Cross. Listened to the entire episode and I hope Mr. Gurney takes my comment as a compliment! Cheers.

January 22, 2018 @ 4:12 PM

Neal

Great interview with Matt Gurney.

His show with Supriya is refreshing and will only get better.

Excellent podcast.

February 19, 2018 @ 8:50 AM

Why Is That.....

Has Matt ever considered moving back to his newspaper gig?
He should.

August 20, 2018 @ 3:24 PM

Still can't

listen to Matt for more than 30 seconds before switching to 1010.

September 21, 2018 @ 9:05 AM