Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Beatts

Hi Cheryl ! Mike went and hid this thing again.

January 12, 2018 @ 8:06 AM

H.o.E.

It was 19 years ago that something like three feet of unusually heavy (by weight, not necessarily depth) snow fell in the GTA. I remember that, unlike just about every other snow storm where the snow is light and drifts easily, this was very dense and extremely heavy when you had to try to shovel it. I don't remember anything like that before or since then. Some older narrow downtown streets could not be plowed and were blocked, meaning that ambulances and other emergency vehicles couldn't get through, which led to the mayor asking the army for help.
"During the time the troops were in Toronto, 35 people were taken to hospital in the hulking military vehicles that tackled roads that ambulances couldn't." -- But of course that urban plight prompted every proud-to-be-yokel across the rest of the country to chuckle,

"Hyuk, hyuk, they called in the army 'cuz it snowed!"
Never mind the number of times the army has been repeatedly sent to certain other parts of the country for flooding (you know -- because it RAINED) where they seem to love living on flood plains, or that the army was also sent to Quebec and eastern Ontario after an ice storm a year before.

January 12, 2018 @ 8:07 AM

@Beatts

I'm worried about Cheryl.

Not only was she AWOL yesterday, but her Cavs were CRUSHED by my Raptors last night.

January 12, 2018 @ 8:07 AM

@H.o.E.

I remember it well because I just got off a train from Ottawa and couldn't believe the quantity of snow.

I always thought it made sense to call in the army. It's become this dumb joke the rest of Canada makes about Toronto, but if it makes them feel better.... fill yer boots!

January 12, 2018 @ 8:28 AM

Cheryl

I just want to cry. I'm so depressed. My Cavs got crushed. It was an awful awful game. I want to hide in a hole. I'm not first, but I don't fricken care. I am so depressed. My Cavs got crushed. I remember when they had to bring in the army. That was awful. They needed to bring the army in. It was impossible to get around. I was working then and going out to work. I had a hard time getting out and I just couldn't work when it was so bad so had to either take some vacation or days without pay. My Cavs, Nets, and Suns better win tonight.

January 12, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

@Cheryl

Remember, it's just a regular season game. The Cavs only care about the playoffs.

See you in the conference finals!

January 12, 2018 @ 8:34 AM

To everyone who has ever listened to an episode, thanks!

January 12, 2018 @ 8:51 AM

Beatts

Eww.

I'd rather see you in one of your four T-shirts Mike....

January 12, 2018 @ 8:54 AM

McNulty

I was at the Raptor game and you could tell the Cavs just didn't care. They were sloppy and played like a rec team. Of course you have to admire and hate Lebron. He made a few awesome moves and then he faked a touch to the face and acted like he was clocked by Rocky.
He makes it hard to like him.

January 12, 2018 @ 9:47 AM

@McNulty

It was tough to say if the Raps were that good or if the Cavs were that bad.

We'll see how we fare against the Warriors Saturday night!

January 12, 2018 @ 9:49 AM

Philly-Bob

SO proud of our Raps last night!! As stated by others, I don't think the Cavs were completely in this game, but a win against them is still cause to celebrate!!

How about The Donald talking about Shithole Countries.....whether you support his policies or not, this is an embarrassment. The Man-Child in Chief says whatever pops into his peroxide addled brain, and damn the consequences.... I'm really worried that this idiot could start WW III all on his own.

Lets hope the Dem's take the house back this year and are able to keep him under control until 2020 when the US can fix their mistake.

January 12, 2018 @ 10:00 AM

H.o.E.

I do have to admit that I think he is hilarious. Every few days there's a new episode of The Trumpy The Clown Show, and well, it's not our country, although this city not too long had a mayor with a few similarities. Think about how dull the late night comedy shows will seem when they no longer have Dolt45 to kick around.

January 12, 2018 @ 10:43 AM

Javed Jafri

Some Trump apologists are now saying he spoke the truth, there's lot more to it than just the S-hole comment. There's also the fact fact that he wants more people from countries like Norway ( mostly white but ironically has many policies that are completely antithetical to DT).

This from one of the few congressional witnesses to the meeting. So DT speaks the truth and then denies it ?

January 12, 2018 @ 12:12 PM

Urooj Islam

Two former Toronto Mike'd guests are now doing a new hockey podcast together, Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman.

Seems like a weird robotic corporate Rogers pairing and the podcast is under the Sportsnet banner so it just makes me miss Marek v. Wyshynski even more and the incredible banter they had.

January 12, 2018 @ 1:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Bittersweet Friday for me today as it is the fifteenth anniversary of my father's passing.
His death was not a shock as he had underwent a liver transplant nearly six months previous,
and obviously never recovered from it. Yesterday I saw an ad in the paper regarding the Blue
Jays Winter Fanfest taking place next week and it reminded me of an old story involving my
dad. My Pops worked for over ten years at Yonge and Dundas in a fur store near the Eaton Centre
as a bookkeeper/fur salesmen. Early in Lloyd Moseby's career he came into the store and my dad
had the pleasure of selling him a fur coat for his Momma!! My father met lots of local and international celebrities at this job, in fact he once sold a ladies' fur coat to Phil Collins when he
still had some hair and a beard back in 1977 or so!!

January 12, 2018 @ 3:17 PM

m m

I remember that Mel didn't even send a formal request to the army. He just showed up on camera and started panicking about how we need to bring in the army. Old Mel was only good for TV. Discussion wasn't his forte. But people love a showman...

January 12, 2018 @ 3:18 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Sorry for your loss, man.

That's a great story about the Shaker. I still love his rap.

January 12, 2018 @ 3:21 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Thanks!! Unfortunately my father also sold coats to a bunch of professional skaters, and my
entire family had to endure at least two dreaded trips to the Ice Capades at Maple Leaf
Gardens as a result!! P.S., I totally love the '80s sound of that throwback jam!!!

January 12, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Chuck99

The Maple Leafs long Stanley Cup drought was mentioned last week during the Elliott Price podcast. I am actually more surprised that they have never made it to the Stanley Cup final since their last win in 1967.

Four expansion teams from the sixties and seventies have never won the Stanley Cup...St.Louis, Buffalo, Vancouver and Washington, but all have made it to the final at least once.

I would say the Blues have the second worst drought. They entered the league in 1967 and have not made it to the Stanley Cup final since 1970.

January 12, 2018 @ 3:49 PM

@Chuck99

You're right, but it's not really fair.

In 1968, all of the new teams were placed in the same division, so one of them had to make the finals. The Blues really benefited from this!

January 12, 2018 @ 4:00 PM

FanFair

@H.o.E.

Don't be the TorontoGrinch. If all the Mullets out in Mulletville can briefly alleviate their dreary lives and laugh by thinking about ambulances not being able to get to people in Toronto 19 years ago, let them.

That word 'yokel' is a good one that makes people laugh.

January 12, 2018 @ 4:06 PM

Dr. Seymour Light

@bsmntdwllr73…My nephew works at a high end Men’s Wear shop in Yorkville, they get lots of Pro athletes, entertainers and actors in the shop, lots of Prima Donna’s. He told me a story about Carlos Santana coming into the shop by himself last summer. He was playing up at Rama and was staying in Toronto. My nephew said he was very quiet, reserved, never haggled or asked for a discount and bought $3,000 in clothes. He would not take a picture or sign anything but shook everyone’s hand and thanked them for helping him out.

January 12, 2018 @ 4:52 PM

chuck99

@Toronto Mike

Regarding the Blues, the fact that the competition was extremely weak in the Western Division from 1968 to 1970 makes their drought almost as bad as The Leafs. One could argue that not only have they not won the Cup since their inception in 1967, but their appearances in the final from 1968 to 1970 were not really legit.

I guess the point I was making to long-suffering Leaf fans is this: Fans in other cities are experiencing long Stanley Cup droughts as well. Even Philadelphia has not won the Cup since 1975. And as the league continues to add teams, the droughts are becoming more common.

January 12, 2018 @ 8:06 PM

Blind Dave

@bsmntdwllr73

I have a faint memory of my Dad taking me to the ice capades in Toronto back in the 70s. I wish I could remember more, but it's just not there anymore.

We have been FRIGID on the Prairies. It was a bone-chilling -40 with the wind on my walk to work this morning.

I was in Toronto the year the army was called in, and yes, it was a smart idea. There was another winter just a few years before -- maybe '94 or '95 -- where for about a month it was sub-zero perishing cold. A lot of that was in January, as I recall. That cold snap may have stretched throughout most of Canada. My wife, who I did not know then, said that month out here didn't see a daytime high above -30.

January 12, 2018 @ 8:18 PM

Cheryl

Not a good sports night again last night. My Nets did win though, but my Cavs lost again. A much different game because they did have a big lead at one point, but blew it. I'm worried about my Cavs. Also my Suns lost and my Coyotes lost. It's bad. Well, tonight Bruins at Habs. It should be a good one, but of course, Habs come out on top. The Price is right. Well, Mel Lastman was a good mayor. It was impossible to get around in all that snow. It was good he brought the army in because I was either taking unplanned vacation because I couldn't get to work or time off without pay. That was a smart thing for Mel to do. He was a great mayor, the best.

January 13, 2018 @ 8:11 AM

I was chatting with a woman yesterday who probably makes about $40,000 a year and lives in a very modest mouse infested apartment. I'd consider her one of Toronto's many working poor, although she has no children nor a car, so she can devote all of her money to shelter, food and entertainment.

She's a huge Warriors fan, and she was telling me about the tickets she bought for tonight's game. 5th row I think... pretty amazing... and it cost her $1500. I was floored.

No judgement on my part, it's not like she's got a hungry kid at home, she can do whatever she wishes with her hard earned money, but I certainly couldn't spend $1500 on a sporting event or concert. In fact, the most I've ever spent on a sporting event or concert (for just me) is $150. That's my record high.

What's your record high? What's the most you've ever spent on a concert ticket or sporting event?

January 13, 2018 @ 10:16 AM

Mississauga Andrew

I paid over $200 for Neil Young at Massey Hall.

This was before marriage and children; and even then, I had a When-the-shit-hits-the-fan account for a rainy day...

If I were her, I'd spend a fraction of that $1500 ticket on an exterminator.

Peace of mind.

BTW, while I'm surprised about the amount of Springsteen in the KOTJ lists (maybe it's the demography), I was floored that Young wasn't really mentioned. Anywhere.

January 13, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

@Mississauga Andrew

Tim Thompson kicked out Neil's Ambulance Blues. I could see myself spending $200 to see him at Massey Hall.

Solving a mouse problem in an apartment building is really the landlord's responsibility. It's an ongoing battle with them, sadly.

January 13, 2018 @ 11:20 AM

little piece of joy

re: TorontoMike: " .. She's a huge Warriors fan, and she was telling me about the tickets she bought for tonight's game. 5th row I think... pretty amazing... and it cost her $1500. I was floored .. "

Interesting question. The key fact is she's responsible for no one but herself. So as long as she's not impacting anyone else then she can decide "it's worth the price to her" and make the call without regret.

In this treadmill of life, sometimes, every once in a while, one has to "grab their treat, grab their little piece of joy". Otherwise, what's the point?

So Mike .. Leafs in Stanley Cup final, game 7 at the ACC .. the guy has the ticket in hand & ready to sell .. how high would you? :)

January 13, 2018 @ 11:21 AM

@little piece of joy

No doubt, she can spend her money as she wishes! I was just shocked she'd spend that kind of money on a regular season basketball game. As I said, I couldn't do it.

TBH, I wouldn't go very high to see the Leafs in the 7th game of the SCF because I always envisioned watching that game with those I loved who have suffered so long with me. I think I'd want to watch that on television with an exclusive crew.

Otherwise, I might go to $300 if the stakes were high enough.

January 13, 2018 @ 11:30 AM

Sid_V

The Police were $250/ticket, and I bought a pair of those. I think Roger Waters doing The Wall at ACC was similar. Gagged on the cost of both, but they were both worth it to me.

High water mark was $400/ticket for the Grey Cup, and I have done that twice (Toronto 100 and Vancouver 102).

"Normal" tickets for the Bruce Springsteen on Broadway show are over USD$450 each, and my significant other snagged a pair of those for this spring. That will be the highest.

These are all face value, from the venue. I am very much against putting hundreds of dollars into the pocket of a scalper per ticket, even for once-in-a-lifetime events. If I can't get tickets the legitimate way, or on a direct resale at or near face value, I am not going.

January 13, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

Blind Dave

I can't remember my concert/sporting event maximum, but it would be less than $150 for a single ticket. I would *consider* going a little higher for a very special concert as I/we would be there for the music. A sporting event, however, is visual, and as I have only 9% vision in my best eye, I'm better off in my own livingroom. I did go to an ALCS Jays game in 1992 (or 1993) but the tickets were behind home plate and I was able to see enough to make it worth while. Jack Morris was the starter.

January 13, 2018 @ 12:27 PM

Urooj Islam

"She's a huge Warriors fan", ha, probably didn't even know the team existed before 2014.

January 13, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

andrew

I cannot envision a "low income" person paying $1500 for a ticket for her fave team to watch live when she could watch on TV for her cable fee. I know people save money for a "special day/event, etc." but $1500? I bought 2 ticks for Jays playoff game against Cleveland for $200 each - $25 over cost in 2016. Worth it as lost the game, but the atmosphere was electric.
There seems to B NO money management in this person's agenda as priorities take precedence first.

January 13, 2018 @ 1:43 PM

Ben V

$160 to see TFC final in 2017
$250 to see U2 (when the played ACC for two nights before pearl Jam)
$400 to see Euro Cup semi's in Poland 2014

My cap in life would be $500 and that would be for World Cup semi final/finals.

Other than that there is no concert or sporting event that would move me to spend $1500.

January 13, 2018 @ 2:19 PM

Urooj Islam

I don't really care how people spend their money. I'm more intrigued by the bandwagon sports fandom in this story and how this woman in Toronto is supposedly life and death with a sports franchise that had no noticeable following outside of Northern California until 3-4 years ago.

I can't imagine some of you spent the money you did on various concerts or sporting events after being a fan of the team or artist for 3 or 4 years.

January 13, 2018 @ 2:46 PM

GUNTer

if i was offered a ticket in a leafs playoff game i would probably pay up to 600 for one ticket.
im contemplating buying Pink tickets and those are pretty spendy - havent quite decided to bite the bullet yet.
however - shoes. shoes i will spend a ridiculous amount on if i really love them. mmmm shoes.

January 13, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

Sam

Bitcoin World's biggest bank with no actual cash.
Uber The world's largest taxi company which owns no vehicles.
Facebook The worlds most popular media company which creates no content.
AliBaba The world's most valuable retailer which own no inventory.
AirBnB The world's largest accomodation provider owns no real estate.

Like Sesame Street says, the common word is "NO".

January 13, 2018 @ 3:58 PM

jj

I make way less than $40,000 and live at home - I still would not spend $1500 on tickets for a game.
I can't even bring myself to spend that on a Macbook which I needd!!!!!!

The most is over $100 - to see Britney in Vegas and John Legend last summer

If I made 40,000 and lived at home? Maybe I could just get the Mac easily...

January 13, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

Mississauga Andrew

I can think of a fan who blows a lot of dough on tickets to the Toronto Blue Jays: Snack Lady.

I doubt you know her, but will recognize her immediately. She's always behind home plate at Rogers Centre.

I think those tix are $300.00 per game.

If I had $1,000,000.00....

January 13, 2018 @ 7:00 PM

@Mississauga Andrew

Home plate lady!

January 13, 2018 @ 7:06 PM

Aidan

@Toronto Mike

The most I've ever spent on concert tickets was $200/each for my mom and I to get front row tickets for Reba at Fallsview Casino. My mom and I have very little in common but we both love Reba. It was money well spent as Reba doesn't come to this area very often. Plus, Reba bent over and locked eyes with me for 10 seconds singing while I was lip syncing.

I'm a massive Jays fan and we prefer to sit behind the bullpen on the 100 level. I won't spend more than $50/ticket for a Jays game. We used to do 2-3 home games/month which adds up fast so we've now decided to use that money to see the Jays play in Cleveland or Detroit every season while still doing a home game every 6 weeks or so. However, I'm not going to drive 4 hours to sit in the nosebleeds. For road games I'll spend $75/US per person per game.

January 13, 2018 @ 9:26 PM

Cheryl

Well, not a good sports night. My Habs lost in a shootout. They got a point, but two would have been better. My Coyotes also lost and my Nets lost. That's no good. I would not pay all that money for a sporting event or a concert. It's too much, but I don't care what anyone else pays. I can get just as much out of a sporting event by listening on the internet. I pay for baseball so I get any game I want, but a hell of a lot cheaper than going to a game. At concerts, they overdo the speakers and make it deafening. My hearing is important to me because I'm blind. Paying all that money to go deaf is not worth it.

January 14, 2018 @ 8:10 AM

I'd just like to say how much we enjoyed that basketball game last night. it looked like a dog, but then became the most glorious loss I've ever witnessed.

January 14, 2018 @ 3:00 PM

chris

I assume the person that spent $1500 for a ticket was elated with the win.

January 14, 2018 @ 4:09 PM

@chris

I hope so! I'll see her tomorrow...

January 14, 2018 @ 4:14 PM

Urooj Islam

What a bandwagoning (expletive) she is.

January 14, 2018 @ 5:03 PM

Enough already

@Urooj Islam

Enough already. You made your point (without factual knowledge). No reason to keep saying it like a skipping record.

I truly hope she found the game glorious. It really was fun to watch.

January 14, 2018 @ 5:49 PM

I'm pretty sure her love of the Warriors has everything to do with Steph Curry. I'll ask her tomorrow morning.

January 14, 2018 @ 6:00 PM

Cheryl

My Suns lost last night. That game sucked. It really did. Well, for today I have my Nets, Habs and Cavs. Hope they all win. I need a good sports day. My Cavs better find a way to win. I'm tired of them losing. My Nets have to win as well and my Habs should win because the Price is right.

January 15, 2018 @ 7:46 AM

I spoke to the big Warriors fan this morning. She had a blast, as you can imagine. I told her it might be the most fun I've ever had watching a regular season Raptors loss.

She also told me she's not into teams as much as she's into people. So she's adopted Steph Curry and will passionately root for whatever team he plays for.

That got me thinking about times I've cheered for a team because of someone on that team. In the 80s, my 2nd team was the Oilers because I loved Wayne Gretzky.

Then, my second team was the Penguins because of Mario. Crosby got me back there, and the Pens have been my #2 team for a while now.

I remember cheering for the Chargers when Doug Flutie went there. The Music City miracle game got me so damn pissed.

I had a brief fling with the Cubs when George Bell went there.

In baseketball, I rooted for the Bulls throughout my youth because of some guy named Jordan.

January 15, 2018 @ 8:35 AM

Beatts

Most I ever spent on concert tickets was $600 a pair for Elton/Billy Joel tour years ago at the ACC.

I believe our seats were in Bowmanville (very end of the rink). I grumbled about how much these shitty tickets cost but my wife was having the time of her life so it was worth it.

January 15, 2018 @ 9:22 AM

Aidan

I root for non-Toronto teams in the post season (if Toronto isn't playing) if former Toronto players are on the playoff teams. For example, I was rooting for the Cleveland baseball team last post season (I refuse to call them by their team name) because of Edwin Encarnacion and Joe Smith. As for the 2017 World Series I rooted for Astros because I really like Justin Verlander since I find him to be a great pitcher and formidable opponent when he played for Detroit and since the Blue Jays traded Francisco Liriano to the Astros.

January 15, 2018 @ 10:30 AM

jj

I mean, I root for the Raptors because they're my hometown team and my bestie loves em and
got me really into them.

Would I follow Kyle or DeMar anywhere else? I don't think I love them enough... I loved Mats Sundin but once he went to Vancouver I didn't follow him there. I think I prefer to root for the hometown team - granted I was a band wagoner for the Raps until these last couple seasons.

$1500 better get me court side or hella close and a kiss on the big screen!

January 15, 2018 @ 10:34 AM

@jj

I'm with you in that I cheer for laundry. I cheer for my home teams.

But when picking a B team, players matter.

January 15, 2018 @ 10:44 AM

James Edgar

The most I've ever paid for Tickets was The Hip at the ACC August 10th 2016. Just under $200 each with the service fees. I would have paid more if I had too. Although not more that $250 each i think.

I might pay over that to be at Mugello in front row (or whatever the best seats are) for a MotoGP race. But only if Rossi was in contention.

And I'd have to . I just checked online and "Silver Pitlane " tickets are 366 Euros , 3 day pass but still that's quite a price.

January 15, 2018 @ 11:04 AM

@James Edgar

That's a good example of "high stakes" if you will. Not to be insensitive, but we knew that was the last chance to see The Hip live. I got a ticket for a little under $150, but would have paid more. When your favourite band has a true "final show", it moves your price ceiling.

January 15, 2018 @ 11:17 AM

jj

I can barely follow my A team, let alone a B team !
My strategy was just to ensure Cleveland didn't win in the end....
This year if we can't get it, I want Boston to take it all :D

January 15, 2018 @ 11:31 AM

Urooj Islam

Toronto's own hate crime hoax?

I feel bad for the kid, she has some terrible adult influences in her life.

January 15, 2018 @ 12:28 PM

dale

After hearing about the incident not happening I felt anger overall & then stepped back & realized the kid is only 11 years old. Everyone felt emotion for this girl including Tory, Wynne & Trudeau. As the above comment says there had to be adult influences with initial disclosure. It's too bad that life has to go in this direction.
Imagine if this would have happened in U.S., Trump would have NOT tweeted or said anything about it.

January 15, 2018 @ 1:48 PM

dale

Suspend her from school for a week & make parents responsible also. An 11 year old doesn't dream this fiasco on her own. IMO.

January 15, 2018 @ 6:07 PM

Aidan

It wasn't just the girl though, her brother backed up the story too. My theory is that they were horse playing or the brother pulled the hijab, it ripped, the girl got to school and a teacher or somebody asked what happened to it. The girl was scared she'd get in trouble by her mom and so she said somebody cut it and the story unravelled from there.

I wonder if she had been interviewed by police prior to the press conference. Had it happened, it would have been really serious. But to have a press conference 3 hours after the incident took place inside the school? I don't even think press conferences are held for murders 3 hours after they happen.

January 15, 2018 @ 9:55 PM

Cheryl

Not a good night. My Habs lost. That's no good. It went to overtime. Price couldn't stop everything. Just terrible. My Nets and Cavs also lost. My Cavs were winning at half time, but then fricken lost. Will my Cavs ever win again? Anyway, it all sucked. My Habs will win tomorrow I hope. Tonight I need my Suns and Coyotes to win.

January 16, 2018 @ 6:59 AM

jj

I too would like an explanation about the false attack story - I think Aidan is on the nose that something happened and she figured she'd get in trouble so made up a bigger story - which is crazy, but people are very imaginative.

I was angry too, and then stepped back just like dale did - she is only 11. But she should face some repercussions, and because I am nosy I certainly would like to know what they will be !

January 16, 2018 @ 9:28 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Been of the grid for the last several days or so because I've been trying to deal
(and failing mightily!!) with a collapsed bathroom ceiling in my crappy Parkdale
shitshack. This situation has been in the works for almost a year, and I have been
waiting almost that long for a promised full bathroom renovation. Went to the property
manager and the super to try and do an end run around the tyrant owner to try and get
the ceiling fixed without his involvement. It's been almost a week and the situation has
moved beyond critical at this point. I'm almost expecting the dude above me to crash through
what's remaining of my ceiling in a similar manner to the repeated gag involving Cleveland Brown
on Family Guy!! Also saw the earlier thread regarding the woman dealing with a mouse problem
who spent $1500 on basketball tickets. To each their own in this regard, but I'm also well acquainted with sharing an apartment unit with the likes of Fievel, Ben, and of course, everybody's favourite cinematic rat, Willard!!

January 16, 2018 @ 10:18 AM

jj

bsmntdwllr73 - sorry to hear about your ceiling issue :(
someone on my twitter who lives in Parkdale mentioned their bathroom flooded last week
I once dated a guy who lived there and his apartment wasn't that great either - constant flooding.
Hope they resolve it for you as soon as possible :(

January 16, 2018 @ 1:56 PM

Urooj Islam

@H.o.E.

Did you see the prices for the Doug Stanhope show at the Danforth in May? Over $70 per ticket! Never seen anything like that for a stand up comedy show.

Predictably, it is sold out but I'm sure the robo scalpers got most of them.

January 16, 2018 @ 2:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@jj
Thanks a lot for the kind words but I think that this situation is going to get a whole lot worse
before anything positive happens. Kind of the unfortunate downside of only ever having the
letters ODSP or DO(For Dropout, LOL!!) follow my birth name. Better luck next life hopefully, if
there even is one!!!

January 16, 2018 @ 4:02 PM

Anonymass

ah that NHL team from kewbec really stinks they have no chance to make the playoffs and there girl goalie Kerry Price hasent even been hurt this year and missed 20 .I guess that will still come.
Thank Gawd for MY Golden Showers....the sprinkle goes on & on

January 16, 2018 @ 6:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Aidan I think is also spot on, the kids trying to cover for something and it just blew up and got away from them.
No doubt the parents are embarrassed, who doesn't believe their kid.
Glad it had a safe ending, nothing to see here folks,time to move on.

January 16, 2018 @ 7:56 PM

the brother

I've been watching Toronto's CTV News regularly since Michelle Dubé returned from mat leave. My observation is that when her partner Ken Shaw returned a week later from his annual snowbird vacation to Florida, he has been less than enthused, forced to fake a smile and if there was any chemistry before she left it is certainly gone. This is especially noticeable during the informal chat filler they have during the noon broadcast. When Ken has Anwar Knight as a participant he is casual and hearty but when interacting with Michelle it is obviously flat. Watch his body language the next time you have the newscast on and tell me if I'm imagining this? Personally, it might be time for Ken to hang it up and take the Christine Bentley award on his way out.

January 16, 2018 @ 8:38 PM

chuck99

@the brother

There has to be close to thirty years difference in their ages, so it should not be surprising if the duo suffers from a lack of chemistry.

Years ago, CH television in Hamilton was always on the lookout for someone to co-anchor the evening news with Dan McLean, who was close to sixty at the time. After a few thirtyish females anchors failed as his co-anchor, management finally threw in the towel and let Dan fly solo.

January 17, 2018 @ 12:46 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Suns and Coyotes both lost. It's awful. They both fricken lost. Well, my Habs play tonight and my Nets play tonight. I need them both to win. Come on Habs. The price is right. Carey Price is a guy, not a girl. Habs have to start winning soon.

January 17, 2018 @ 6:57 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Anonymass
Always look forward to your insightful commentary where the Las Vegas Golden Showers
are concerned! You are undoubtedly peerless when it comes to using 'waterworks' punnery
when describing their rapid release of the winning liquids of victory! Long may your stream of
golden wisdom continue!!!

January 17, 2018 @ 3:52 PM

markosaar

Kind of grossed out by the demands the 11 year old be punished and the assumptions that her parents are at fault too. Why did the TDSB put her in front of the camera? Why is the media frothing at the chance to tell a cultural-tension story without having it properly checked first (this is obviously a much bigger issue).

Further one little fib from an 11 year old child and the hateful bigots lash out in glee. See this (alleged) incident + the replies: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/953727083930406918

Hopefully since it took place in a subway station there'll be security footage to shut these revolting virgins up.

January 17, 2018 @ 4:46 PM

Cheryl

My Habs lost. It was not even close. Why did Carey Price allow so many goals. Oh well, they'll win tomorrow. My Cavs better win tonight and my Coyotes better win tonight. Find a way to win.

January 18, 2018 @ 6:50 AM

Anonymass

@ bsmntdwllr73 The Cup will runneth over In July when my LV Golden Showers take possession !!
In the meantime that team from kewbec will be hiring yet another coach and rebuilding yet once again.

January 18, 2018 @ 6:56 AM

Beatts

Nice to hear retro Ontario Ed on CBC just now. Great job Ed

January 18, 2018 @ 7:29 AM

jj

markosaar: i mean will she be grounded or do some extra community service ? i think that's the punishment i was looking for - but other people are being extreme.

i think because everyone believed her, they wanted to nip it in the bud and ran with her doing a press conference etc.

January 18, 2018 @ 12:18 PM