Canadians to Reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Hits 49

With a hat tip to @1236 it seems Drake has another number one hit on his hands with God's Plan. God's Plan had a record on-demand streaming total in its first week, propelling the single to the #1 spot.

Here's the complete list of 49 songs performed by a Canadian citizen to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

1. It's Love-Love-Love by Guy Lombardo
  41. The Hills by The Weeknd
  42. Sorry by Justin Bieber
  43. Love Yourself by Justin Bieber
  44. Work by Rihanna Featuring Drake
  45. One Dance by Drake Featuring WizKid & Kyla
  46. Starboy by The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk
  47. I'm the One by DJ Khaled featuring Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper, and Lil Wayne
  48. Despacito by Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber
  49. God's Plan by Drake

m m

Nice list, but there are some very, very loose interpretations of what is Canadian.

January 29, 2018 @ 4:01 PM

@m m

It's pretty simple. If someone is a Canadian citizen and reaches number one, they go on this list.

And yes, Robin Thicke is a Canadian citizen.

January 29, 2018 @ 4:04 PM

Me

I appreciate what you’re trying to do here, but got to say we’re reaching by including all the “featuring” songs.

Over the past ten years the “featuring” angle was created as a way to simply grasp onto someone who was popular. By in large they contribute next to nothing to the song over all. Just thrown in by by super producer to help sell a song to another demographic.

If you think the Canadian involved with this aural scam should be added to this list, then ok. But it’s disingenuous.

January 29, 2018 @ 6:16 PM

@1236

was inspired to look this up: all five where the Canadian is "featured" also has them listed as a songwriter if not also producer ...

January 29, 2018 @ 9:17 PM

jj

Who will be #50? Some awesome songs on here! I always knew I was meant to be Canadian - despite the winter, Canadian music is all me

January 30, 2018 @ 8:57 AM

@jj

How long have you lived in Canada?

January 30, 2018 @ 9:06 AM

WCI

For the record Mike, Descpacito was initially released without Beiber on it & had nearly 2 billion views on Youtube. It's likely the record company tossed Beiber on the song as a means to bring him back to a popular artist (like they did with Beyonce on Perfect) and to pull the original song into North American pop radio.

At the least this deserves an asterik next to it. And I find it a stretch that it's even considered canadian content. I'd be interested to know if it's considered MAPL.

January 30, 2018 @ 12:16 PM

WCI

This song is clearly not MAPL

How does the MAPL system work?
To qualify as Canadian content, a musical selection must generally fulfil at least two of the following conditions:

M (music): the music is composed entirely by a Canadian
A (artist): the music is, or the lyrics are, performed principally by a Canadian
P (performance): the musical selection consists of a live performance that is
recorded wholly in Canada, or
performed wholly in Canada and broadcast live in Canada
L (lyrics): the lyrics are written entirely by a Canadian

January 30, 2018 @ 12:19 PM

Jody Thornton

Which means some selections from Road Stewart's 1991 CD "Vagabond Heart" were legit Cancon. We played "Rhythm of My Heart" as a Cancon selection that year.

January 30, 2018 @ 12:50 PM

Jody Thornton

Er. make that "Rod Stewart" ...lol

January 30, 2018 @ 12:50 PM

@WCI

Sure, Bieber appears on the remix version of Despacito, but that's the version that went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100.

January 30, 2018 @ 1:13 PM

jj

More than half my life - I came when I was 10, and I will be an age over 30 in June :)!

I love Canada

January 30, 2018 @ 1:19 PM

jj

Jody Thornton - I really like Rhythm of My Heart

January 30, 2018 @ 1:21 PM

m m

Yes, a MAPL #1 list would be a different, and much longer, list. Mutt Lange, Bob Rock and Bruce Fairbairn produced a bunch of hard rock bands in Vancouver.

January 30, 2018 @ 1:45 PM

WCI

Well Mike, the title of the post is "Canadian Songs...." and Despacito is clearly *not* a Canadian song. It's a Latin song which was later tweaked to include a Canadian. FYI, here is the original. It now has 4.7 billion Youtube views. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQP7kiw5Fk

I can't see how the inclusion of a Canadian singer *makes* a song Canadian. Does Ed Sheeran's song Perfect become American with Beyonce on it? Or Italian with Andrea Bocelli?) It's grasping at straws. Same for the Khaled tune.

The song doesn't qualify for MAPL so therefore it's not really Canadian.

January 30, 2018 @ 2:24 PM

@WCI

Okay, I'll change the title.

This list is all songs to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 that are sung/rapped (in whole or part) by a Canadian citizen.

January 30, 2018 @ 2:33 PM

WCI

On the topic of Beiber and I'll put Drake in this category, I don't much see them as "Canadian" artists other than being Canadian born. I mean how much do they actually contribute back to the culture of their country? Beiber's big claim to helping a fellow Canadian was tweeting he liked "Call me maybe"

Compare that to this..when Alex Leifson appeared on Trailer Park Boys in the early seasons. The show was a fringe product at the time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X_wUflADA8 Later, Rush would make a video with Bubbles.

January 30, 2018 @ 3:09 PM

WCI

Hey, how about

Rush - Limelight feat Justin Beiber. lol.

January 30, 2018 @ 3:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@WCI
I'd gladly pay to hear a Rush/Bieber collaboration, but not on "Limelight", perhaps something
more esoteric like Fly By Night's "By-Tor And The Snow Dog(!)" or "Bastille Day(!)" from Caress of
Steel (LOL!!!) Sadly we'll probably see this dream team duet occur, not with the recent
declarations from Alex Lifeson regarding the official end of Rush.

January 30, 2018 @ 4:54 PM

markosaar

Drake is a weird one to pick on. He's a huge booster of the Raptors, sings about Toronto in his lyrics, his last album has the CN Tower on the cover... what more do you want?

January 30, 2018 @ 4:59 PM

bsmntdwllr73

It's now very hard to believe that Nelly Furtado once had a very successful career in the United
States. Not hating or knocking, btw, just overly-nostalgic for the music she made on her first
two albums, especially the second one, which had "Try" on it. Her last album was a major return
to form but it seemed to be a non-starter right out of the gate. As for Carly Rae Jepsen, sure, the
boost from Bieber and his pals definitely helped, but there were several other great songs at that
same album equally deserving of success/recognition.

January 30, 2018 @ 5:00 PM

@markosaar

And there are tons of Toronto artists Drake has promoted.

Not to mention OVO Fest.

Heck, I'd argue nobody on the planet does more to promote Toronto.

January 30, 2018 @ 5:04 PM

Urooj Islam

Yeah, Drake is a weird one to go at.

I can't think of another mainstream Canadian artist who is more outwardly proud about being Canadian and being from Toronto.

It is literally part of everything he does, from album names to song names to concerts to festivals to a label full of Canadian artists he promotes to being a part of the Raptors to continuing to maintain a big local presence in the city.

January 30, 2018 @ 5:10 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Not a big fan of Drake's music and still think he had more credibility on "Degrassi: The Next
Generation", but I have to give him full props for his support of local artists and for the city
at large. He seems to be more of a civic booster than Mike Myers, who always seems to
get too much credit for the same thing, and he hasn't lived here (either) for decades!!
Drake over Bieber any day, musically and otherwise, to infinity and beyond!!!

January 30, 2018 @ 5:15 PM

Urooj Islam

Very disappointed to read something like that from WCI who is one of my favourite commenters.

For someone who consistently and correctly calls out how boring and homogeneous the musical taste/discussion is on this blog and on the KOTJ episodes, he seems unaware of how much Drake has contributed to the evolution and promotion of Canadian music.

Although, I agree with WCI about mostly every other currently successful mainstream Canadian artist from Bieber to Shawn Mendes to The Weeknd to Alessia Cara or whoever else you want to bring up. There's nothing outwardly Canadian about them, I would have no clue they were even Canadian if I wasn't a Canadian myself.

January 30, 2018 @ 5:27 PM

WCI

I think Drake is more supportive of Canada that Beiber is, but I believe much of his "Toronto" centric stuff is more about using it for his own career. He doesn't come across as genuine whereas say Kardinal does. I also find his ego tiresome, the bragging how rich he is & the whole "started from the bottom" stuff. I get you colorize your store, but his is way over the top. Drake reminds me of those shows on Apple Beats 1 or Sirius channels that are tied to an artist but they never have much input into it. Just another way to get your name in lights. I do think Drake is a great pop artist. As a rapper, meh. I been listening to rap for a very long time (and beyond "white guy" rap). Drake is not Chance the Rapper.

As for the rest of the current pop artists who care Canadian, I agree, they're not really Canadian. I will give Alessia Cara credit. I remember her tweet after winning a Juno a few years ago. She was just over the effing moon about it. It came across as entirely genuine too. Her response to her haters on subjects including her Grammy win shows me she thinks about stuff. It's not so scripted. I like the Weeknd and I think he's got a voice up there beyond Usher, but..infused with arrogance.

There are very few artists that are Canadian and express it. The Hip aside, there are a few. Rush is one. But Rush is probably the most talented rock act in history. I'm not a fan of Rush, but I respect them. They define "how to play rock music". Ian Tyson is another guy. So is Paul Brandt, American success but writes "Alberta Bound" about his home province. And of course the Hip.

And in the whole realm of music, Drake and Beiber are successful because of brilliant production. And that's fine. I'm a huge fan of beat orientated music which IS all about good production. A guy like Zedd or Tiesto is as brilliant as Rush...same for Timbaland or Dre. In the case of Beiber his return is more about production than talent. Alessia can actually sing. Drake...he's in the middle.

I mean let's be honest. Limelight is 40 years old. If you drove across America and tuned into "Classic Rock" radio you'd hear that song dozens of times. You think in 2057 you'd hear Beiber in rotation on whatever will be radio then? Not likely. Pop music CAN last..but it's less about the artist and more about production.

side note: Years ago I was driving to Vancouver through the Coq. My passenger was this brilliant guitarist who was under 30. We had 92.9 KISM tuned in out of Washington State. Good Times, Bad Times came on from Led Zep (and nothing like running a pass with that cranked). He listened and he was like "holy fuck, that guy is a fucking amazing guitarist". He had never heard him. I was like you don't know who Jimmy Page is? No idea. Yet, a single listen and he got it. I don't think Baby Baby will ever do that.

January 31, 2018 @ 1:04 AM

jj

Drake is Canadian, as Beiber is, as Shania is, as Bryan Adams is.

Drake mentions Scarborough enough for me to be proud :)
Everyone needs something to make their music stand out, Drake has production and Toronto - I don't fault him there.

I hope some of his music lasts, Beiber's not so much. We have enough Canadian music to keep it all going forever, regardless of who we like or dislike. Meanwhile, off topic - Chromeo is coming in July and I grabbed tickets for my sister and myself - she loves them, and their last big single Jealous got me into them too. Cannot wait!

January 31, 2018 @ 10:32 AM

jj

@Urooj: how does someone really outwardly show they're Canadian though? No one ever knows I'm Canadian really outwardly.

Like how did Bryan Adams and Shania Twain and Nelly Furtado prove their Canadian-ness? I just knew they were, and ran with it. I never really considered them mentioning Canadian landmarks or issues in their music to make them more Canadian.

I am so intrigued by this topic!

January 31, 2018 @ 11:17 AM

WCI

@JJ

Not so much they need to demonstrate they are Canadian, more about maybe giving something back to the community. Let's pick on Beiber. Did he show up for the opening of the Beiber Museum in Stratford? Has he ever gone to personally accept a Juno or does he just send in a taped speech? Beiber is front Stratford and I'll go out on a limb and say probably a whole bunch of local people and businesses stepped up to help the kid out.

January 31, 2018 @ 12:45 PM

jj

WCI - right, gotcha! I got distracted. you're right, everyone should give back and why not start with the places that made you or helped make you for sure.

January 31, 2018 @ 2:43 PM