Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 295: Celebrating Festivus with Elvis

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 295In this 295th episode, Mike celebrates Festivus with Elvis as they discuss a cornucopia of topics. This episode is exactly 2:16:22.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Happy Festivus!

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

headsup

So is this the thread where we air our grievances with you?

Happy Festivus!!!

December 23, 2017 @ 3:11 PM

Urooj Islam

I'm with you on "A Place for My Head". Then again, all of the "Hybrid Theory" album is fantastic and filled with tons of good, notable songs even though music snobs would never give Linkin Park and that album credit.

Thanks for the podcast, man, I really appreciate the content especially during the holidays when most podcasts go dormant until the new year and there isn't much to listen to.

December 23, 2017 @ 6:24 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Will listen over the Festivus season, it is almost a tradition of sorts now.
Elvis's picture last year was quite a contrast to this years.
All the best to you 2 over the Holidays

December 23, 2017 @ 11:34 PM

elvis

Thanks guys!

December 24, 2017 @ 9:00 AM

Urooj Islam

Haha, Mike can't even say he "went" somewhere anymore if he took his bike. He has to make it clear that he "biked" there.

December 24, 2017 @ 3:30 PM

@Urooj Islam

Hoping to inspire others to follow suit!

December 24, 2017 @ 8:14 PM

markosaar

I don't have Urooj Islam's problem ... some of my podcasts pump out insane amounts of content during the break, and I have no time to listen during the so-called "holidays". Sadly going to be a while before I finish this one.

December 25, 2017 @ 2:45 AM

markosaar

Case in point ... commenting at 2:45 AM on Christmas day and hosting family brunch in t-minus 8 hours and 15 minutes

December 25, 2017 @ 2:46 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Still listening , but two things: Drew Carey's second theme song "5 0'Clock World" was also tremendously covered by Julian Cope in the late 1980s, and that same version (The Vogues) was also
on the soundtrack to "Big Fish". Also, admittedly not a huge sports fan, but I believe that you meant to say Bobby Bonilla rather than Barry, with regards to that NY Mets player still being paid well into his retirement!

December 27, 2017 @ 11:01 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Just got around to finishing the episode after some real life activities and I have the following
(unsolicited as usual!) thoughts to share: 1. Van Hagar had hits other than "Right Now" with that
particular band line-up- "Why Can't This Be Love" and "When It's Love" immediately come to mind.
More musical with Hagar, but not as fun or as loose. 2. AC/DC's so-called wilderness years before
"The Razor's Edge" aren't a wash at all. '83's "Flick of the Switch" is the heaviest album of their career, and many a hardcore fan's fave platter!Also, two other key longtime members are also still alive-Bassist Cliff Williams and drummer Phil Rudd. 3. Chuck Berry will undoubtedly go down as one of the biggest degenerates in rock and roll, if only even a third of the well-told stories about
his sexual proclivities are true!!

As well, Soundgarden's "Badmotorfinger" (absolutely their finest hour) was actually released after
both Pearl Jam's "Ten" and Nirvana's "Nevermind". With each album arriving between late August
and early October in 1991. Nice tandem pick of "Fiddler's Green" as your closing number, as upon
further reflection, I truly do believe that "Road Apples" is the ultimate Tragically Hip album. Lastly,
I totally concur again about the importance of the movie "Big Fish", especially as it pertains to the
relationships between fathers and sons (or daughters, as the case might also be!) Thanks for another entertaining two hours and change. P.S., loved the urination updates!!!

December 27, 2017 @ 5:39 PM

the brother

TM, would like to share my xmas mix with your readers, you can check it out here: http://bit.ly/2zERqwu

Peace,

@brotherneil

December 27, 2017 @ 6:16 PM

Gary M

'Dreams' was another excellent Van Hagar hit.

December 27, 2017 @ 9:47 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Gary M
Totally concur at about 'Dreams', and we also can't forget their immortal power ballad 'Love
Walks In', also from the 5150 album.

December 28, 2017 @ 9:15 AM

Beatts

I used this episode as the first Toronto Mike episode that I exposed my wife and children to on our way to visit my brother in Kingston.

Their first impressions...

"Dad are you and Elvis related or friends? You both sure laugh and swear alot"

They all enjoyed the show alot.

Especially watching me get angry when you two butchered ACDC information....grrrrrrrrrrrr...

Great work as usual boys

December 29, 2017 @ 4:12 PM

@Beatts

The AC-DC butchering is all on elvis. I never claimed to be anything more than a mild fan of the hits! Elvis should know better...

I often think the Elvis episodes are a completely different show. They're not deep dives about a guest but stand-alone "friends shooting the shit" episodes. I'm glad the family didn't hate it!

December 29, 2017 @ 4:16 PM

Beatts

Big fan of the shooting the shit episodes.

Real talk at its finest

December 29, 2017 @ 4:18 PM

Alex Ciappara

Still getting through this episode. Your episode with Elvis (post-GNR concert was one of my faves), but couldn’t help but react to the Van Hagar commentary.

“5150” the song off of the album of the same name is Van Halen’s tightest, most harmonic track in their history (with DLR, Hagar and Cherone). The guitar playing on that track is peak-Eddie Van Halen - from the killer intro, to background rhythm and the guitar solo. The entire band had something to prove after the acrimonious breakup with DLR and they played like it on this track. It would definitely be in my top 10 Kick Out the Jams.

Other Van Hagar guitar-laden songs I’d recommend are: Sucker in a Three Piece, (AFU) Naturally Wired, Feelin’, Don’t Tell (What Love Can Do) and Humans Being.

December 30, 2017 @ 1:39 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Back at work and back to my commute so catching up on your episodes today. It's always a great time when Elvis is on...although whenever he says "Not to be a dick..." he usually follows up with something dickish. It's like when someone starts a sentence with "No offense but..." or "Not to be a racist but..." they usually follow it up with something completely offensive or racist.

Anyway, great episode! A belated Happy Festivus to you both!

P.S. I'm the one who said Andy Maize looked like Greg Zaun and Jamie Campbell's love-child.

January 8, 2018 @ 3:32 PM