Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 291: Andy Frost

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 291In this 291st episode, Mike chats with Andy Frost about his years at Q107, Psychedelic Psunday, being the PA announcer at Leafs games and his son Morgan being drafted in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft. This episode is exactly 1:34:52.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Andy Frost and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

Did you ask him about the unwritten rule of Toronto media that everyone needs to have an Andy Frost impression?

December 12, 2017 @ 3:00 PM

@Urooj Islam

I actually read your question!

December 12, 2017 @ 3:44 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Loved this...except the part where Andy says he threw John Gallagher's Habs jersey out the front door. lol

@Mike: How tempted were you to ask Andy about Humble and Fred?

Looking forward to Andy coming back to KOTJ. Maybe he'll surprise us and have some Rage or Soundgarden on his list.

December 12, 2017 @ 4:10 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

Ha! There is one H+F question I'd like to ask, but maybe after I stop recording next year's KOTJ ep...

December 12, 2017 @ 4:30 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Toronto Mike

Ha, right off the top too, thanks! Glad it got a chuckle out of Andy.

Great episode as always.

December 12, 2017 @ 6:25 PM

H.o.E.

If there was a time when Q107 and CHUM-FM were considered to be direct rivals, I assume it was probably when they were both FM rock stations, from 1977 (when Q107 started) to 1984 when CHUM-FM changed its format. I remember at some point in the summer of 1984 turning to CHUM-FM and hearing Madonna, immediately thinking for a few seconds that I must have somehow mistakenly got the wrong station, then getting a sinking feeling at realizing what had happened. After that I largely stopped listening to radio for music (portable cassette players had come along by then), except for a brief time HTZ-FM a few years later.

December 12, 2017 @ 8:17 PM

dale

Thanks for asking my questions. His voice is so powerful & a great person also.
Great podcast & can't wait for KOTJ (maybe in 2 years? LOL).

December 12, 2017 @ 8:45 PM

Urooj Islam

It's crazy to me that he and Herbie Kuhn never met.

17 years of MLSE functions, you'd think that the two guys who served in the same role for MLSE's two biggest sports properties would have met.

December 12, 2017 @ 11:44 PM

Matt

Cant wait to listen to this! Been looking forward to this for a long time!

December 13, 2017 @ 9:48 AM

@All

If I missed a question you wish I had asked, let me know in the comments because Andy is coming back in June for round 2 and some jam kicking!

December 13, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Great interview, but not quite sure that I can truly believe or support his enthusiasm for the current
Q107 playlist! Totally understand that he'd like to continue working there for as long as humanly
possible, but having been at the Q off and on for over 30 years, there is no way that he isn't aware of the station's sad decline. Agree with others who feel that Q's glory days were from the mid '80s to the early '90s. Also, admire Mr. Frost's restraint (regarding) and limited "exposure" to Joanne Wilder's Playboy specialty issue appearance fifteen or so years ago!! Perhaps she would also be a good KOTJ participant in the new year? After all, she was a little more forthcoming about the changes at the
station when you raised that same issue.

December 13, 2017 @ 12:00 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Mike, I was so looking forward to this interview and I've got to say I was a little disappointed. I found Frost a little short and 'Frosty' with his answers. I suppose I shouldn't have expected more from someone who is still employed and wants to stay that way. Every single person you asked him about from Q was either "very reliable" a "good broadcaster" or any number of other clich├ęs usually reserved for hockey players in locker inteviews.

When he did elaborate with a story about someone (Gallagher) the best he came up with was throwing his Hab's jersey out the door. When you live with someone like Gallagher, you have better stories than that...guaranteed.

Again, the man is still employed and has plenty to lose, so I suppose I shouldn't have expected more. You'd think that someone with his name and seniority would be a little more free to speak his mind...but I guess seniority is what gets you fired these days.

It's why I found the Kevin Frankish episode so refreshing. He is employed, and yet he was fearsless in some of his criticisms.

You did great to get out of him what you did. I felt for you during some of the questioning though. I felt you were waiting for him to elaborate on some things and he wouldn't.

I'm sure he'll be much better during a KOTJ episode...and perhaps whenever he decides to retire or gets pushed out, he'll suddenly remember better stories to share. But for now, Frost left me a little cold.

December 13, 2017 @ 2:34 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

"Frost left me a little cold."

Admit it, you were dying to use that line!

December 13, 2017 @ 2:39 PM

John M.

I have to agree with Al the Royal Pain, Andy seemed very reserved. I usually come away from one of your great interviews feeling I learned so much and how much I like the guest.

I leave this one feeling ... meh.

Strictly for research purposes I Googled "Joanne Wilder Playboy" and the third photo that comes up is her photo with Toronto Mike!

December 13, 2017 @ 4:03 PM

@John M.

Now that's going to disappoint people!

December 13, 2017 @ 4:23 PM

Anon&on

All I heard thru this entire episode was a constant voiceover of TnT's JT doing Gord doing Andy.

December 13, 2017 @ 6:34 PM

JR

I loved hearing Andy of course but Mike - have you asked the payola question in jest before? All these decades later in the radio business it's something that might elicit a "frosty" response.

As another commenter mentioned, Andy was very guarded and terse at times, but man oh man he turned it on at the end when it came to a Kick Out The Jams visit. He was in full Psychedelic Psunday mode!

January 22, 2018 @ 5:02 PM