Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 286: Aaron Bronsteter Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 286In this 286th episode, Mike and Aaron discuss his role as Editor of UFC content and Producer of Talent Relations at TSN before they play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 2:05:37.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Aaron Bronsteter and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

glb   propertyinthesix   paytm

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

Aww! I'd have dug a Haujobb track haha. Surprising name-drop though. Wonder if Mr. Bronsteter ever listened to Project Pitchfork at the time -- Rammstein used to open for them before getting bigger.

November 27, 2017 @ 9:52 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Still listening to this episode but had to immediately clarify that "Blood and Chocolate" was Elvis
Costello's second album of "1986" after "King of America" released in late February of that same
year. Absolutely his best album. Also agree with you that "Stankonia" is the best Outkast album.
Also quite impressed to be stumped bu that "Haujobb" namedrop as I have never heard of them,
so I plan on checking them out. And one last thing: Dave Grohl's pre-Nirvana band was called Scream.

November 27, 2017 @ 10:00 AM

markosaar

@bsmntdwllr73,

Maybe check out Haujobb's Solutions for a Small Planet, which from 1996, is probably around the time Aaron would have been listening. For the genre, the album has held up remarkably well.

Haujobb is one of Daniel Myer's performing names. He shows up all over the scene. Was a member of one of my favourites, Covenant, for an album too.

November 27, 2017 @ 10:21 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Thanks for the tip!! I have heard of the band Covenant but I don't think that I've ever actually heard
any of their music.

November 27, 2017 @ 10:25 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Just finished listening and have to say that it is definitely in the top 5 of KOTJ episodes based on
music picks alone, and then when you add in Andrew's personal stories and recollections... WOW!!
A few more odds and ends: Arthur Lee and Love have other great songs like "Little Red Book",
"You Set the Scene", and "Alone Again Or" (great cover available from The Damned!). And on the
Casey Kasem beat: Negativeland released a track called "The Letter U and the Numeral 2" in which
they sampled Mr. Kasem throwing a shitfit when he couldn't get their name right during a countdown
recording session. Profane hilarity ensues and the band was served with a cease and desist order
for their troubles!! Also, Gene Ween from Ween has a terrific, unironic Billy Joel tribute act in which
he performs all of the Piano Man's greatest material up until the Christie Brinkley era (his Waterloo,
in my biased opinion!!). A full-length concert is available on Youtube and it is great. Thanks again!!

November 27, 2017 @ 10:53 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Let me take this opportunity to apologize for calling Love "obscure". All because I was completely unfamiliar with this band doesn't make them obscure. I've since learned they're critical darlings, but it is strange I've never heard of them... I can't be alone.

November 27, 2017 @ 10:59 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
No need to apologize as there are many other bands from many different eras who would fall
under the designation of "Critics' Darling" and/or Top Favourite Band of Musical Trainspotters!!
Believe me, half the time I don't have the foggiest idea when you mention your older kids' musical
faves!! And there used to be a time when I was on top of everything musically (at least in the popular
sense).

November 27, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

I'll feel better when someone else who thinks he/she is savvy and a music lover tells me they also didn't know about Love.

November 27, 2017 @ 11:23 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Again, don't feel too bad!! I'm not exactly up on all the Top 50 Peruvian Pan Flute Folk bands (most of whom were mainstays of Toronto's summers in the late '90s and early aughts, nor do I keep up to date on all the latest innovations in Inuit Throat Singing, unless it pertains to Bjork!!

November 27, 2017 @ 11:48 AM

Javed Jafri

Love were along with the Byrds perhaps the top LA band in 1966. They played a role in the Doors getting their recording contract. They released what is easily considered one of the top albums of all time, Forever Changes.

Arthur Lee was the leader but bandmate Bryan Maclean was no slouch either and he penned Alone Again or. His sister was Maria Mckee who fronted the alt country group Lone Justice. I still have the 45 of the Dammed's cover of Alone Again and would never part with Love's Forever Changes.

Maybe obscure now in the way that Moby Grape is but part of the top echelon of 60's groups.

November 27, 2017 @ 2:23 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Javed Jafri
Maria Mckee and Lone Justice both don't get enough credit for their great music!! Her cover of the
Tom Petty/Benmont Tench track "Never Be You" on the "Streets of Fire" soundtrack is superb!!

November 27, 2017 @ 2:29 PM

Javed Jafri

@bsmtd
Heard Negativland on the radio for the first and perhaps only time on WUWU FM around 1983 and I think it was on Gary Storm's Oil of Dog. Strange sounds.

November 27, 2017 @ 3:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Javed Jafri
I think that 102.1 The Edge used to play Negativeland occasionally in the early '90s, around
the time of their most infamous track. Casey K. never sounded as manly and authoritative as
he did when he was cursing up a blue streak over Bono & the Gang!!

November 27, 2017 @ 3:39 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, meant to type Negativland, my bad!!

November 27, 2017 @ 3:44 PM

markosaar

@bsmntdwllr73,

Covenant had some industry coverage for reclaiming their name from the metal band now known as Kovenant.

Hard to recommend their music succinctly. It's all ebm/industrial, but has evolved a lot album to album. Earlier stuff might be musically more challenging, but lyrically I love that it's very cyberpunk/Blade Runner.

They had a club hit with Dead Stars.

My favourite track is Monochrome.

Their most recent album had an interesting cover of Lee Hazlewood's A Rider On A White Horse. This one is funny to me because my wife hates my "bleep bleep bloop bloop" music, but this track caught her attention.

November 27, 2017 @ 8:21 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Thanks for giving me some more tunes to check out, always appreciate being turned in the
direction of artists/genres I'm not overly familiar with!!

November 28, 2017 @ 9:24 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@markosaar
Still listening to an assortment of Haujobb and Covenant tracks. Really enjoyed the Lee Hazlewood
cover. My tastes tend towards some of the more heavier industrial type acts like Front 242, KMFDM
and Nitzer Ebb.

November 28, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

markosaar

@bsmntdwllr73,

I love Front 242 and (90s) KMFDM too. Nitzer Ebb is fine but I kind of missed them. My favourite album of the 90s was Dos Dedos Mis Amigos by PWEI. But love my Skinny Puppy, Front Line Assembly, etc.

The specific track that got me into this vaguely softer "futurepop" industrial-influenced music is Avalost by Seabound with its cancon-lyrics (German band).

There are still loads of heavy bands in the genre. Unfortunately struggling to find my favourites on YouTube.

Here's one: Imperative Reaction - Judas

I also actively dislike some of the popular heavy ones like Combichrist. A friend of mine was asked to open for Nachtmahr and Combichrist at the Kinetik festival in Montreal. He used this video as his backdrop: https://vimeo.com/42322595 (not safe for work)

November 28, 2017 @ 8:32 PM

mdoucette77

Hi Mike. Great episode as usual. What was the track that was inspired by the Diary of Anne Frank? Did Aaron say it was just the song that dealt with the holocaust, or did he mean the whole album? I teach high school English and History, and I’d like to see how I could incorporate the song/album into my lessons.

December 2, 2017 @ 6:02 PM

@mdoucette77

Thanks!

That song was Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945.

December 2, 2017 @ 6:07 PM

Javed Jafri

Neutral Milk hotel have a cult following and quite the rep. Were part of the Elephant Six record label along with other indie bands such as Apples In Stereo and Olivia Tremor Control. Many on the label being major Beach Boys and Beatles followers.

December 3, 2017 @ 10:13 AM

Rick C in Oakville

This could be my most favourite episode yet. I don't think I had heard all (or at least most ) of Aaron's choices. I even considered my self a loose Kinks fan , and had never heard the song.
@@bsmntdwllr73, was bang on with his enthusiasm and the ease of conversation on his pics, even on his choice for his grandfather. He was a great guest.

December 7, 2017 @ 9:10 PM

Javed Jafri

ok I cheated and looked at the spreadsheet as I have not had time to listen to this episode but it looks like the Kinks song was Village Green Preservation Society. One of my faves and the title to the Kinks 1969 album. Always loved the lyrics:

The Village Green Preservation Society
The Kinks
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
God save Donald Duck, vaudeville and variety
We are the Desperate Dan Appreciation Society
God save strawberry jam and all the different varieties
Preserving the old ways from being abused
Protecting the new ways, for me and for you
What more can we do?
We are the Draught Beer Preservation Society
God save Mrs. Mopp and good old Mother Riley
We are the Custard Pie Appreciation Consortium
God save the George Cross, and all those who were awarded them
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh
We are the Sherlock Holmes English-speaking Vernacular
God save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
We are the Office Block Persecution Affinity
God save little shops, china cups, and virginity
We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliates