Gregg Zaun Fired by Rogers Sportsnet

Gregg Zaun will no longer be a part of Blue Jays telecasts. He was fired today. Rick Brace, President of Rogers Media, sent the following email to employees this afternoon.

This week, we received complaints from multiple employees at Sportsnet regarding inappropriate behaviour and comments by Gregg Zaun in the workplace. After investigating the matter, we decided to terminate his contract, effective immediately.

This type of behaviour completely contradicts our standards and our core values. We must all be held to the same standard - regardless of our position, our contributions or our status.

We believe in a professional workplace where all employees feel comfortable and respected. We believe in a culture where our employees share their feedback or our status.

We are grateful to the employees who spoke wth us and we will take every measure to protect their privacy.

If you have concerns related to inappropriate behaviour of any kind, I encourage you to talk to your manager, HR business partner, or phone our anonymous hotline.

Thank you for your ongoing support and commitment.

Rick

Susan

I have been patiently waiting for the sexual harassment allegations to spread to the Sports and Music industries. I think these stories will be the worst of the worst.

November 30, 2017 @ 7:38 PM

Aidan

I just said to a friend last week that it was a matter of time before a high-profile Canadian celebrity would be fired for inappropriate behaviour. This is just the beginning folks. The dominos are about to fall across all networks here in Canada!

November 30, 2017 @ 7:44 PM

Jamally

I'm sure there are many folks in media sweating right now.

November 30, 2017 @ 7:52 PM

Tron

This falls under the most unsurprising news story of the year.

November 30, 2017 @ 8:05 PM

Aidan

If Gord Martineau did this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riOPZILwwH8&t=5s in 2017 he would have been out the door so fast he wouldn't have known what hit him!

November 30, 2017 @ 8:08 PM

Aidan

And Stephen Ledrew from CP24 put his foot in his mouth yesterday on Fox News Channel. Tucker Carlson Ledrew (who was being interviewed in his role as the former Liberal Party of Canada President about the apology Trudeau made to the LGBT+ community) asked what 2-spirited was and Ledrew responded that it sounded like somebody who doesn't know whether they're fish or foul or frick or frack and somebody who is confused. Its actually a term used by some people in the First Nations community who believe has both female and male spirits.

You can watch the clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNUWzSqtqE

November 30, 2017 @ 9:00 PM

Vic

Long time lurker, first time poster on your site Mike. You do a great job a what you do and I thoroughly enjoy your posts.

I hope (respectfully) that you're wrong about Kevin Barker replacing Gregg Zaun as an analyst. He bores me half to death with his "analysis" if you could even call it that. Honestly I think half of hardcore Jays fans could do a better job at baseball analysis than him.

On a side note, did anyone ever tell you that you could pass for CP24's Kyle Christie? Hope you take no offense to that as I think he's a fantastic news anchor.

November 30, 2017 @ 9:51 PM

@Vic

Just a guess.... I have no inside information here. Kevin Barker strikes me as their Zaun-sub, a former player who "tells it like it is".

Kyle Christie's a handsome guy. I'll take it. Thanks!

November 30, 2017 @ 9:57 PM

Gary M

Would be pretty funny if he finds himself in a position where he has to argue that the steroids caused the behaviour.

November 30, 2017 @ 10:47 PM

Urooj Islam

Toronto Mike tweeting out that the likely replacement for Zaun is the guy who just stared at him as he interviewed his wife has shaken me to my core.

A season of that guy next to Campbell just seems awful, hopefully they can get someone like Justin Morneau (who did the studio analyst gig during the postseason) to take the gig full-time if he ends up officially retiring from baseball.

Anyone but the basement starer.

November 30, 2017 @ 11:05 PM

Gary M

Just listened to McCown's announcement that broke the story. I find it incredibly odd/lame/cowardly/bizarre/suspicious or some combination of those words that he just read the press release and didn't add a single word of his own and never mentioned it again.

A guy who will spend 14 minutes rambling about recliners couldn't muster a syllable about a bombshell in his own studio.

November 30, 2017 @ 11:15 PM

Anonymass

@ Gary M......yes odd about McCown suddenly he became werry weryy quiet !!!!!!!!!
Could the Bobcat be looking over HIS shoulder ?? Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

December 1, 2017 @ 2:00 AM

david

The Bobcat and Zaunny, were friends, friends give friends the benefit of the doubt and don't throw one another under the bus...this is a sensitive topic, where ones career, livelihood and reputation are probably toast...so as bad as it is, have some compassion for both sides!

December 1, 2017 @ 6:25 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@david, similar to Sarah Silverman's monologue on Louie CK, you can be angry, disappointed, disgusted in the individuals behaviour, but at the end of the day you still feel they are your friend.

December 1, 2017 @ 7:06 AM

@Urooj Islam

Just to be clear, my blind guess is that Kevin Barker gets the role. No inside information here.... this was my tweet.

I'll bet this guy replaces Zaun on Jays telecasts pic.twitter.com/GxVtPtOsGZ

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) December 1, 2017

He was chaperoning his wife (Hazel Mae) while she visited my basement. He was fine, and even posed for a picture with me afterwards, but he didn't want to go on mic. That's okay, Hazel was my guest, not him.

December 1, 2017 @ 8:03 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

As the Jays proceed with their "culture" change, I would also like them to re-fresh with team announcers.

For TV Studio, I would go with Arash Madani as host, and a recently retired major league player like Justin Moreau. Barker as a career minor leaguer who thinks he knows it all and is hard to listen to does not work for me.

TV Game I would move Joe Siddall over from Radio with a split between Dan Shulman and someone like Matt Devlin or Brad Fay. If they could get/afford Shulman full time, that would be awesome.

For Radio, I would get another retired player for analyst (Duane Ward type) and split play by play with Jerry and a fresh voice. Anyone but Wilner.

December 1, 2017 @ 8:57 AM

Cambo

Kevin Barker won't fly- his southern accent is WAY too much for the Canadian audience.

The reason Zaun was OK, was because his "American" accent was almost undetectable.

Every time I heard Barker on TV, he was muted until he's done. The accent is brutal to listen to.

December 1, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

Ben V

Zaun was a known alcoholic and womaniser. This is no surprise, I don't think he got out of bed before 2pm most days and was constantly walking around with an OJ to prevent scurvy.

He lived in my buddies building and was complete dick. Good riddance.

December 1, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Back in the day when I paid attention to such things, I always loved his slight resemblance to the early Hugh Jackman Wolverine era. Now, I realize that he has more in common with Brotherhood of
Mutants lifer Toad!!

December 1, 2017 @ 12:55 PM

Barry

Cliff Floyd did a few Jays pregames a year or so ago, and I thought he was excellent. I would love to see him get the job. I believe his wife is from Toronto, and they lived in Toronto at one time (though I don't think they live here any longer).

December 1, 2017 @ 3:13 PM

chris

@Barry
Agree with Floyd. Barker - no way.
Zaun had it made it T.Dot trying to make an impression like Cherry with his attire & comments. It didn't work for him. If accusations are true with Zaun, your regular input every Sunday during broadcasts - "It's Sunday can you smell the roast", then he makes comments, but this Sunday it will be "Gregg can you smell the toast - it's burnt, just like you".

December 1, 2017 @ 3:25 PM

Gary M

Rick C, except it's not similar to Sarah's monologue on Louis because she did a monologue on Louis.

Reading the press release and not adding a single word was gutless beyond belief.

December 1, 2017 @ 4:25 PM

Barry

@Gary M

In fairness, McCown was literally just finding out about it as he was reading the press release, was he not? I think if I were in that situation and it was a friend of mine, I'd keep my mouth shut and allow myself to process the information. I find behaviour such as Zaun's appalling, but I would be thrown for a loop if I found out my friend were a perpetrator, and I'd have trouble knowing what to say on air in that situation. I'd at least want to chew the hell out of the friend first, then go on air to address it.

Of course, if he had prior notice of it, that changes things somewhat.

December 1, 2017 @ 5:05 PM

Gary M

Appreciate your view, Barry, thanks. The story is he was informed at 6 and read the press release around 6:30.

But let's say it was all in real time. I don't think you get to say nothing if you're Bob McCown. If he wants to say what you said..."This is new to me and I need to process the information before saying more"...that's at least something. Silence was pathetic.

Some people cultivate a persona that does not allow for this kind of shrinking. Gen. Schwarzkopf couldn't go "Eek a mouse!!" at a press conference no matter how big the mouse is. Bob McCown can't have a bombshell and go to break and never mention it again without some serious damage to his cred as a truth telling badass.

And one last thing. Having a friend get fired for sexual misconduct is not like having a child commit suicide. We're pretending it's some kind of unspeakable horror and it isn't. You're the king of frank, live radio talk? Deal with it. imo.

December 1, 2017 @ 6:02 PM

Gary M

Holy cow, just listened to the start of Bob's show today and it's even worse. A stern admonition that the topic is not relevant and he'll tolerate no calls on the matter.

Leaves little doubt that the issue at Sportsnet is far bigger than Gregg Zaun, and either Bob is incriminated or major executives are.

December 1, 2017 @ 10:32 PM

Anonymous

Gary M.

Not defending Bob but he could have been told by Rogers management or lawyers not to talk about this issue for possible legal reasons. Since Zahn was fired yesterday I doubt that severance agreement has been reached. I'm not a lawyer.

December 1, 2017 @ 11:38 PM

Gary M

Then he needs to say that. Not pretend that the firing of a household name sports figure within the context of a seismic cultural shift is "not relevant". What a posing dork in those tough guy shades.

Even the Today Show ladies managed some commentary in that situation and the legal ink was certainly not dry there either.

That said, your theory can't be that true because Brady spoke about it in the a.m. I still claim the rot must go much deeper- either with Bob or the executives- to elicit such incredible pathos.

December 2, 2017 @ 2:41 AM

Gary M

LMFAO Bob McClown went into hiding today.

December 5, 2017 @ 1:49 AM

Anonymous

@Gary

Bob takes vacation every other week, its close to Christmas. Me thinks your projecting too much.

December 5, 2017 @ 12:44 PM

Gary M

Me thinks many shoes are going to drop.

December 6, 2017 @ 1:11 AM

Anonymous

Your saying Bob has been let go? I think your really, really, really, really stretching.

December 6, 2017 @ 11:32 AM