Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 269: Stephen Brunt

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 269In this 269th episode, Mike chats with sports journalist Stephen Brunt about his years at the Globe & Mail, his video essay for the 2010 Olympics, his fallout with Bob McCown, his work with Jeff Blair and much, much more. This episode is exactly 2:14:40.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Stephen Brunt and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jason from Sudbury

Dude, this is gonna be good. Downloading now. I know Stephen is really into music. You should get him back in to kick out the jams sometime.

September 27, 2017 @ 6:47 PM

Urooj Islam

Damn, Mike did such a good job in terms of how he guided the conversation especially when it came to the Shapiro piece and the infamous Fan 590 line-up photo.

Amazing episode.

September 27, 2017 @ 11:09 PM

AB to the C

Great interview but I really wish you were a bit of a boxing fan Mike. I would have to think Brunt is one of the best people in Canada to interview about a sport that has so much politics, corruption, characters and spectacle. It would have been great to hear Brunt comment on that $$$$$$$ Mayweather-McGregor fight and the difference between the new, social media generation of fan with MMA and those who are boxing fans. Getting Brunt's take on that big bout anticipation in Sin City Las Vegas where many matches are held would have been fun too With the amount of soccer, boxing and Olympics (which you touched on) that Brunt has covered, he has been around some of the biggest sporting events ever which should be good for some stories. What I like about Brunt is he seems knowledgeable about the world too so a sports discussion can also become a political discussion. I heard him recently on Calgary radio speak about the anthem protests and it is nice when you can hear a sports media personality sound like he actually educates himself beyond the world of sports. With his travels all over the globe for big events, I hope you have him on again to talk about his experiences being elsewhere like different political landscapes, best crowd at a sporting event, favourite place outside of Canada, etc. Brunt can make a simple question lead to a fascinating answer. The Tootoo story itself of being in Rankin Inlet would probably be good for a bit of a chat

September 28, 2017 @ 12:36 AM

Sam

Great stuff Mike. One of the best for sure.

September 28, 2017 @ 6:26 AM

@AB to the C

I hear you. That's the thing about a guest like Stephen... you could effortlessly talk for six hours.

I'm very aware of the two hour mark. I do my best to keep episodes under two hours, and this one went 2:14.

When Stephen returns, and I believe he will before the year is out, we'll pick up on some of these topics that deserve more time.

September 28, 2017 @ 8:22 AM

After you hear Stephen tell the story of signing Ahead By A Century for Gord in Newfoundland, you can watch it here:

September 28, 2017 @ 8:24 AM

Declan

I've been listening since episode one and you should be very proud. I don't think this could have gone any better. A great guest and wonderfully guided by an experienced host.

I've written this before and I'll write it again. Toronto Mike'd has become this city's best kept secret.

September 28, 2017 @ 8:49 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great job Mike. It lived up to the anticipation. Brunt is a great storyteller! Looking forward to his next visit.

Have you reached out to John Shannon by any chance? He would be a great get...

September 28, 2017 @ 9:43 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Great episode so far (75 minutes in) and will definitely listen to the rest later!!
Wasn't aware of his background in music writing and/or his great love of music.
Thus, I can't wait to hear his picks on a future KOTJ episode! Perhaps if this sports
thing doesn't work out(!) he could potentially replace Flavor Flav if that legendary Hype-man
is ever incarcerated again?!?

September 28, 2017 @ 11:07 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
What an incredible overall episode and a fantastic, intriguing KOTJ teaser
pick! Mr. Brunt needs to be booked for an encore appearance of non-stop
awesome jamming at his earliest possible convenience!! Thanks again for
delivering a superior product!!!

September 28, 2017 @ 1:03 PM

rob

Great episode with Brunt. I met him once as a young kid with Roberto Alomar at his book signing. I never did read that book (what could really be said about a 24 year old Alomar anyways). I'd wonder if Brunt would actually recommend it

September 28, 2017 @ 1:57 PM

Sam in Pickering

Amazing! Two hours flew by and I just wanted more.

Keep it up, Mike!

September 28, 2017 @ 2:25 PM

AB to the C

Thanks for the reply @Toronto Mike. I know the interview went long and maybe some of the topics I brought up may not have been of great interest to your listeners. I think the storytelling of Brunt though can bring interest in a topic that one may not have initially been interested in. Brunt sounds like someone who learns about the culture and politics of a place when he visits another part of the world which is why I believe his interviews are so interesting.

Whether it is a group of Baby Boomers, Millenials or Gen Xers, I think Brunt can fit in anywhere because he is aware of the world around him. If you have him again in addition to KOTJ, my suggestion would be to focus on one topic so the interview does not go too long. Some suggestions I have for next time include the most memorable sporting event he covered, whether the US media ever came calling, his interactions with boxers such as Ali and Tyson, reactions (if any) of Gretzky and Orr to the books he wrote and the experience of being in Mexico when El Chapo was captured. I think Brunt was doing a story in Mexico on Roberto Osuna at the time.

Keep up the great work @Toronto Mike. Amazing that you landed such a great guest

September 28, 2017 @ 3:18 PM

Army42

Excellent segment, Mike Thanks.

September 28, 2017 @ 8:37 PM

Daniel

Great interview Mike. You weren't afraid to ask unpopular questions or bring up contentious issues just to keep him happy

He's such a great storyteller. insightful, good timing, and he doesn't need to raise his voice to. make his opinion known

he does make a good point about potential journalistic bias being everywhere. and while i get his argument about Shapiro, i doubt he woke up one morning and thought: God i'd love to make a documentary about Shapiro because he's so fascinating

When the King shits, the hand wipes

September 28, 2017 @ 9:50 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

I haven't reached out to John Shannon yet...

September 28, 2017 @ 9:58 PM

The Voice of Reason

One would think Bob Mccown would understand why people would leave a station for more money.

September 29, 2017 @ 8:00 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

Have not had a chance to listen yet, did you discuss the media bashing he took when he was an Olympic Flag carrier?

September 30, 2017 @ 9:26 AM

@Dr. Seymour Light

I didn't bring that up because in my mind it was a completely non-issue and unfair. So many members of the media participated in that event.

October 1, 2017 @ 9:51 AM

PhoenixR

Thought this was the very best podcast from Mike that I've heard.

I too never really got the entire 'bias' argument on the Shapiro piece. As Stephen said, it was no different then the other documentaries he made about Blue Jays players. If there was something awful to say about the guy, say it, but look at the team he left, they're pretty good. If you choose to maintain a negative mindset, you'll always see bias in everything, Stephen suggested as much, but given his history, I think it was unfair to question his integrity. I don't know what else anyone expected.

I never got the uproar, mind you generally speaking the same people who brought uproar are usually the same who, as Stephen said, find bias in anything. I guess I was frustrated that Brunt was questioned, Id like to think his past and honesty would earn him that respect.

October 3, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

Beatts

Wow!

Disappointed in myself for taking so long to get to this episode.

Exceptional episode. Great work Mike.

October 10, 2017 @ 11:54 AM

Beatts

It's funny in regards to his feelings of boxing. I get those exact feelings with MMA and find boxing dull. That's the beauty of it though, it's affects people in different ways.

October 10, 2017 @ 11:56 AM

Robert Kerr

Hello Mike

Long time fan. Just wanted to say this was a great podcast with Stephen Brunt.

October 21, 2017 @ 5:32 AM