Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 268: Jackie Perez Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 268In this 268th episode, Mike and Jackie Perez play and discuss her ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:37:01.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Jackie Perez and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Aaaargh!! My ears are bleeding!!! Cute guest and great personality, but I can't
deal with that first pick!! "DJ" Khaled makes P. Diddy's music sound like Beethoven
and Mozart!! We need to get millennials and whatever the next cohort is called into
music made by real humans beings performing on actual instruments!!! Now I readily
admit that I'm an old fart and a cantankerous curmudgeon and most assuredly proud
of it! It's nice that you are trying to broaden the KOTJ horizons, but I probably won't be
the only dedicated listener who will be cracking up some AC/DC, Metallica and Motorhead
after concluding this podcast!!

September 22, 2017 @ 10:02 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

Remember the first rule of KOTJ! Your jams are your jams and one cannot judge!

If someone wants to go with 10 boy band jams, it's all good!

September 22, 2017 @ 10:08 AM

@Mike
Obviously I meant to write cranking, not cracking up!!! Although still
a bit discombobulated after being exposed to DJ Khaled without fair
warning. Fair Warning, btw, is also the name of the best Van Halen album!!

September 22, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

@Mike
Not judging the guest or the pick. The beauty of music is in the ear of the beholder;
it's more that as an Aspie my ears are very sensitive to the production style of much a lot
of the music made in the last 5 to 7 years. Not trying to be too judgmental, just expressing
my dismay over the sad current state of popular music.

September 22, 2017 @ 10:13 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

A lot of pop music has always sucked... the big difference, IMHO, is that guitar songs no longer crack the top 40. Unless it's a rare Imagine Dragons or Coldplay ditty...

My oldest listens to music all day long and I never, ever hear a guitar.

September 22, 2017 @ 10:17 AM

@Mike
Boy, am I glad that I came of age in the late '70s and early '80s!! I can't imagine
my life, sorry suckfest it's mostly been, without having been exposed to the sound
of real instruments played by dedicated artists (and I'm not even talking about
virtuosity: Just fingers strumming stringed wood or plucking piano keys or hitting
the skins). Auto-tune, streaming, file-sharing, hell: technology in general has just
ruined everything!! Now, I think that I shall go and dig up my old yellow Sony Walkman
and soak up Lauryn Hill's Unplugged cassette, 'cause that's definitely some 'real music'!
(That's a joke, BTW!!)

September 22, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I can't join you on that train... I listened and loved so much Public Enemy in high school, and even today I'll throw on some Drake or Kendrick or Chance the Rapper...

Like any other genre, there's good rap and bad rap. But at the end of the day, the ears like what the ears like.

September 22, 2017 @ 10:34 AM

No problem with old school rap: Loved Beasties, Run DMC, Public Enemy,
Cypress Hill, etc., as they featured a lot of live musicianship and ace jazz
samples. Def Jam was great label and most of their artists seemed to stand
for something. This might also be true for some of the current artists you listed
above, but I can't get passed all the marketing, bravado, and almost every song
featuring a dozen shoutouts or cameos!!

September 22, 2017 @ 10:40 AM

@Mike
Sorry meant to write get past above!!

September 22, 2017 @ 10:41 AM

In fact, Public Enemy's first album "Yo! Bum Rush the Show" is so heavy it is
practically a hard rock album!! Vernon Reid from Living Color played guitar on it.
Also, Kerry King from Slayer featured on the first Beastie Boys' album. And we
can't forget the PE crossover with Anthrax. So back in the day the two genres had
a lot in common. That cross-pollination isn't really heard from much anymore.

September 22, 2017 @ 10:51 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

I still break into Timebomb all the time.

September 22, 2017 @ 11:00 AM

That whole album is great, but quite partial to the first 3 tracks: "You're
Gonna Get Yours", "Sophisticated B.", and "Miuzi Weighs A Ton"!!!

September 22, 2017 @ 11:04 AM

@bsmntdwllr73

It's all good, and I only bought the disc after discovering It Takes A Nation Of Millions to Hold Us Back.

And I got into that because MuchMusic played the video for Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos and I was all "what the fuck am I hearing!"

September 22, 2017 @ 11:07 AM

Back in the day Mike Williams at MuchMusic was a big supporter of Public
Enemy. PE's 1994 album "Muse Sick -n-Hour Mess Age" was a slept-on classic!!
As for their '87 debut, proud to say that I got in on the ground floor as a 13 year old
because I read about it in Rolling Stone and Spin.

September 22, 2017 @ 11:11 AM

Another slept-on Def Jam classic was Original Concept's "Straight From The
Basement of Kooley High" from late '88. "Can You Feel It" and "Jonnie Wuza
Gangsta" were killer tracks!!

September 22, 2017 @ 11:16 AM

I usually missed the ground floor. With Nirvana, for example, I got Nevermind first then got Bleach.

With Soundgarden I started with Badmotorfinger.

With Alice in Chains I started with Dirt.

With The Tragically Hip I started with Up To Here.

September 22, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

@Mike
Well, I wonder if anyone started off with Nirvana's "Incesticide"?
"Badmotorfinger" refined the raw magic of"Louder Than Love."
"Dirt" was a better album than "Facelift" (except for "Man In the Box,
obviously!!), but the prior stopgap EP "Sap" is also quite revealtory.
And as for the Tragically Hip's first self-titled EP, didn't the band stop
performing songs from it because G. Downie didn't write some of the
lyrics? Still like "Highway Girl" regardless!!

September 22, 2017 @ 11:27 AM

Sandra

Would love a KOTJ epi with Michael Williams. I'm sure his list would be quite eclectic.

September 22, 2017 @ 12:38 PM

@Sandra
I second the above suggestion! Back in the early days of MuchMusic, Mike
Williams was the go-to-guy for hosting almost all of the different genre
shows, and he always showed a quite admirable enthusiasm and interest
in all types of music. Especially loved his hosting duties on the various
metal programs!

September 22, 2017 @ 12:45 PM

Earlier this year I was chatting with Michael Williams trying to get him in for a deep dive but he told me he was too busy.

September 22, 2017 @ 2:10 PM

@Mike
That's pretty funny, because the only time you seem to see or hear from him is when
he appears on TV to talk about about the passing of a noted musical icon like EWF's
Maurice White or Prince. I guess you could say that he is to the urban music obit file what
Alan Cross is to everything else!! P.S., back in the day I saw Mike Williams a bunch of times
at Sam the Record Man but was too intimidated to talk to him. First question would have
been about how he felt guest-hosting for that Outlaws and Heroes show on Much!!

September 22, 2017 @ 2:17 PM

Somewhere I have a picture of me and Mike Williams. I met him at a Spoons concert about 6 years ago.

September 22, 2017 @ 2:20 PM

See, and Mike W. even liked classic Canadian synthpop! There has to be a way
to get this Living Legend on Toronto Mike. Bring on the write-in campaign!!

September 22, 2017 @ 2:23 PM

Joel Goldberg just helped me get DJ Ron Nelson (who I can't wait to have on!) so maybe he can help me get Mike Williams.

September 22, 2017 @ 2:26 PM

@Mike
We can only hope!! I'm not taking the p. here!! Mike W. always seemed like the
nicest and most musically hip of the original MM VJs. Obviously not as hot as Erica
Ehm was in her prime!! (Well perhaps he was to the ladies and other interested parties!!!)

September 22, 2017 @ 2:29 PM

Back to Jackie...

Early in this episode I say "Reggie Williams". I meant to say "Ricky Williams". I don't know why I called him Reggie.

September 22, 2017 @ 4:01 PM

WCI

@bsmntdwllr73

Sorry but you're the worst type of music fan. Sanctimonious, self righteous and a "rock snob". I'm technically a child of the rock era but the whole arrogance of the fans of the genre makes me view them as low brow, low IQ types. In case you missed it no one gives a shit about rock music anymore unless you consider The 1975 "rock". Bob Lefsetz did a write up about Spotify streaming and how rock music was basically non existent.

Me, I'm technically from the rock era, but I'll take the Chainsmokers over some rehashed aging burnout trying to recover his career, whether it's Van Halen or Pearl Jam. Or some rock station spinning the same shit they did when I was 18.

September 22, 2017 @ 11:59 PM

Well played

So WCI chastises bsmntdwllr73 for being "sanctimonious & self righteous" by himself being "sanctimonious & self righteous".

Well played. @@

I sampled some Chainsmokers tunes. To be frank, little more than elevator music to me. I'm not right, I'm not wrong. You're not right, You're not wrong.

Music is personal. To each their own.

September 23, 2017 @ 12:26 AM

WCI

It's perfect isn't it. The good part about rock snobs is they'll soon all be dead. And we, as a society can move on. #PraiseJesus

September 23, 2017 @ 12:30 AM

bsmtndwllr73

@WCI
"Opinions are like... " well, I'm sure that you are intelligent enough to finish that
sentiment for yourself!! As for quoting Lefsetz, he'll go on and on about streaming
and the like, and then he'll write countless columns in praise of the very dinosaur acts
reduced to being veritable tribute bands in the current day. Oh, and he'll occasionally
praise the One Direction solo projects and positive rappers like Logic. He was a terrible
example to use in a non-argument!! First of all, I admitted that I was an old fart curmudgeon,
secondly, I listen to plenty of new music it just falls way under the radar. Also, don't worry
'bout my IQ, I might not have achieved jack all in this world, but it didn't have anything to do
with a lack of intelligence. Enjoy your Chainsmokers and leave the rest of us alone!!
#Book Smart, People Stupid (Me, That Is)!!!! P.S. you were right about one thing: rock radio has
been a complete joke for more than 20 years!!!!

September 23, 2017 @ 9:21 AM

WCI

Hey Basement Dweller

It ain't the fans of Chainsmokers or Halsey that are dissing rock music but it certainly is rock music fans dissing pop music. That's been going on since the burn your disco records shit. It's lame and juvenile akin to radio guys who use the term "Robbers" or "Bhell" to describe the masters of a dying medium.

I don't always agree with Lefsetz. But he's at least able to rationalize that the rock era and rock radio (and FM radio) are insignificant to the Millennials (and to some of us who are older than 34). Rock music sucks. The kids are disconnected just like the Raptors sell out every game but have no ratings on TV. Because the fans found alternative ways to enjoy the game.

Here's a tip. Say you're walking down the street and you see a pizza place. You strongly dislike all things pizza. Do you walk in and start shouting "pizza effing sucks, pizza is the worst, pizza in my day is better". No. But that's what rock fans do to popular music. In fact, that's what happens across the internet in general.

The claim that classic rock is more intelligent than modern music is just bullshit. Most of the early rock music WAS prepackaged and they didn't play their instruments. In fact, early rock and pop musicians STOLE all their ideas from poor ass black people living in Detroit. The much heralded Elvis Presley has no more talent than Halsey or Lady Gaga. In fact I'd argue Gaga has more talent than Presley. She's proven she can sing especially when she worked with Tony Bennett. What would he know? He's only been in the music industry for 70 years.

Most music today isn't about instruments. It doesn't have to be. It's produced on a computer. Terminator X from PE had as much talent as Jimmy Page. It's just a different kind of talent. Same for some of the biggest DJ's in the world. Was an accountant in 1945 who used an abacus more talented than one that uses Quickbooks? No. Same for music.

Rock music is dead. Good riddance. It's got no one to blame but itself.

September 23, 2017 @ 1:03 PM

WCI

BTW Mike, maybe time to hit the salon.

September 23, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

I actually got my hair cut today.

September 23, 2017 @ 1:46 PM

And just chiming in to say the Raptors "almost zero ratings" peaked at 4.8 million unique Canadian viewers during a playoff game in 2016.

September 23, 2017 @ 1:50 PM

@Mike
What the hell is wrong with this WCI character? It seems like they only intermittently
post on here to stir shit up! Look, I have too much respect for you and what you have
achieved here to use this space as virtual boxing ring, but believe me, I'm more than tempted
at this point! I was taught by the master (my Pops!) in the art of verbal warfare, but frankly, this
clown doesn't seem worthy of being blacklisted/blocked over!! Look, music is the thing that I am
most passionate about in this world, and I find it painful to watch what has become of rock and
roll. There used to be room for almost everything in the mainstream but those days died long
ago. Can't help but feel like the greed of the record companies, creatively bankrupt artists and
Steve "Bloody" Jobs all played an equal role in rock's demise. Perhaps I should change my posting
name to RawkSnawb73 in honor of my unworthy West Coast(?) rival?!?

September 23, 2017 @ 3:56 PM

WCI

@Basement Dweller

You, like many in the music/radio industry have accused me of being a troll. A troll is a person whose purpose in life is to create chaos for the sake of chaos in an internet forum. What I am doing is offering a counter opinion (albeit strongly). I'm saying something you don't want to hear.

The fans of rock music have long been arrogant, sanctimonious assholes. Roll back to the disco era when "Disco sucks" was the catch phrase. It was a bunch of "faggots". Then in the 80's hip hop appeared. Rap was seen as "fad" and often mocked by the rock fans. To this day I still see rock radio stations who post shit on Facebook mocking modern day pop artists. Golly, how mature.

And Steve Jobs killed rock music? Please. Stop blaming technology for your FAILURE to adapt. Jobs created a device that let you play back your music on demand. He later developed a concept where you could buy/stream music you wanted too..on your own time. Please explain how that caused the downfall of rock music?

Rock is dead because musical tastes shifted. The ecosystem that supported rock music had "old white guy" syndrome and refused to adapt. It was so arrogant, so self righteous it mocked the rest of society for what they were listening too. Now, it's insignificant. All that's left is a few aging dudes clinging to distant memories & bands flogging the dead horses ass to fund their retirement hookers.

The world is full of great music. Spotify, Beats 1, Triple J, etc, all examples of outlets that embrace the new in all it's diversity. Music has never been healthier or more interesting.

PS. When a guy who says new music is creatively bankrupt, etc, it reminds me of that guy who says "I'm not racist and I have black friends but....".

Sorry for pointing out who you are slick. PS. I'm back.

September 23, 2017 @ 7:06 PM

WCI

Raptors are very successful. Their ticket sales are nearly top in the NBA. Perhaps the reason so few people don't watch the games on TV is because maybe the product quality is bad? I'll go out on a limb and imagine that the sports networks probably used the same old crew, etc to do the Raptors game. It's like white people imagining they can sell East Indians their own cuisine (and do it better).

Now, as I've never watched a game, I could be entirely wrong.

September 23, 2017 @ 7:14 PM

We can disagree here, but let's not call eachother names or make any threats.

Cool?

September 23, 2017 @ 8:02 PM

Well Played

Upon reading through this thread, I agree with "many in the music/radio industry".

September 23, 2017 @ 8:14 PM

WCI

Aaaargh!! My ears are bleeding!!! Cute guest and great personality, but I can't
of it!

Say you hate pizza. And you're walking down the road and walk by a pizza place. Do you walk in and shout "I hate effing pizza, it sucks". The answer is no. You keep on walking by.

Your boy here might learn that about music. If you don't like something don't listen to it or just tune it out. But if you must comment PLEASE don't be surprised when someone takes counters. Further, taking pride in being a "cantankerous curmudgeon" is like being proud you're a nasty bitch. It's bullshit.

TL:DR: Let's remember where the problem started.

September 23, 2017 @ 9:30 PM

@WCI
When I wrote about music being creatively bankrupt I was referring to the old guard
of pop/rock stars who mostly are in victory lap mode these days. The types of acts that your
buddy Lefsetz is praising, in between his endless diatribes on politics, technology, and various
other subjects. Also, never had anything against disco or rap music, either: See earlier posts in
this thread when I praise the likes of Def Jam records and Public Enemy. Furthermore, not ashamed
to admit that the first two albums I ever asked my parents to purchase for me (aside from a few
soundtrack LPs) were the second Village People album and The B-52s debut platter. Lastly, I'm
assuming that at one point you were either in the radio and/or record business and had your ass
handed to you. If so, could not have happened to a more deserving candidate!!!

September 24, 2017 @ 2:25 PM

Anonymous

@WCI
As for blaming Steve Jobs in part for the decline/demise of music, a whole generation
of kids have grown-up not appreciating the true value of music as technology has made
it easier for them to get (read:steal) it for free). You can feel free to call me a Luddite and such,
but I'm sure that you are probably as guilty of doing this as those poor millennials whom you
are so fond of defending!! Not sure what crawled up your butt and made you such a crank but
you might want to take something for that! P.S., I'm not the first person you have gotten into
with it on here, and from the sound of one of your previous posts, it appears as if you are
a major irritant on many other blogs as well. We get it: You hate rock, you love disco, rap
and alternative music and you obviously fancy yourself one of the hip, cool kids but guess
what? You're probably older than I am (44) and in denial about it. So get a life already!!!

September 24, 2017 @ 2:49 PM

@Mike,
Sorry the previous comment was from me, bsmntdwllr73!!

September 24, 2017 @ 2:49 PM

andrew

@Mike
Turn off the comments from a couple who keep posting as this is becoming a waste of time & space.
WCI & bsmntdwllr73, don't U both have a life other than bashing on this site?

September 24, 2017 @ 3:18 PM

WCI

it easier for them to get (read:steal) it for free).

Golly, who knew? The appreciation of music comes not from the actual music, but the method in which was it was acquired. That's the most retarded thing I've heard all day. Let me guess, to appreciate music I need to listen to it on vinyl too.

For the record I like rock music. I've got an iTunes library of nearly 12000 songs. Several thousand fall in the rock category. All of which I paid for. It's not rock I dislike, it's rock snobs like yourself who bash everything they don't like & label it as inferior.

As for the Millennials I've seen the typical bashing about how lazy, etc they are. Last time I checked almost all the technology in the world was developed by Millennials. What you doing in life there slick? I don't fancy myself part of the hip cool kids but I also don't live in the past. Get over yourself, you're just not that important.

Seems this blog is infected with "old white guy-itis" lately. Is there a cure for that? Guess that's what happens when you attract media types and their rabid fans. GTG, need to listen to Boney M on 8 track yo.

September 24, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

allison

Mike, your BSB story was amazing! They are my ultimate guilty pleasure and I would have died to play slo-pitch with Nick!

September 27, 2017 @ 10:43 AM

Jer

Just wanted to say that this was my favorite of all the KOTJ episodes so far. Not because of the music (though there were a couple great tracks) but because I found Jackie very interesting.

September 27, 2017 @ 4:52 PM