Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 261: Sophia Jurksztowicz Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 261In this 261st episode, Mike and Sophia Jurksztowicz play and discuss her ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:38:49.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Sophia Jurksztowicz and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Boomer

You had me at Sophia. Looking forward to the HNIC talk and she is smoking hot.

August 31, 2017 @ 9:34 AM

@Boomer

Sophia gives a significant update on her relationship with Sportsnet early in this ep.

August 31, 2017 @ 10:07 AM

Declan

Sophia was stellar last time. I look forward to another round!

August 31, 2017 @ 11:03 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Downloading now. This is gonna be awesome!

August 31, 2017 @ 1:32 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike,
Apparently the comments section of Toronto Mike is verboten on most
of the computers in the Toronto Public Library system!! Anyway, you weren't
kidding when you teased the coincidence bombs that were dropped on this
episode! Now the next thing that you should definitely do is to immediately book
a DEEP DIVE podcast reunion with this legendary Tim fella! Also, it is always a great
pleasure to be introduced to unfamiliar artists such as The Revivalists, even if at
times the singer sounds like a countrified version of the long-MIA Everlast!! Finally,
still not even remotely feeling the artist formerly known as "Jimmy Brooks!!!"

August 31, 2017 @ 1:59 PM

mrmojorisinca

Good top 10 :)

Thought there would be more stuff I dislike..but I was wrong

August 31, 2017 @ 2:57 PM

Declan

As good as expected. And yes, the coincidences are mind blowing.

August 31, 2017 @ 4:56 PM

chris

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS - She is Hot & a great guest again Mike.

August 31, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Blown Wide Open was on Big Wreck's first album "In Loving Memory Of", which came out in 97.
I admit I'm not a fan of a few of Sophia's jams, but I definitely need to check out the Revivalists. Another good episode Mike!

September 1, 2017 @ 1:08 AM

markosaar

Also not necessarily a fan of her jams ... but she was the most introspective of the guests listing their songs so far. That was awesome.

For some reason I just hated Big Wreck the first time around, but I kind of want to give them another chance now that I know that song is about procrastination, something I can relate to.

September 1, 2017 @ 10:13 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Blown Wide Open was the one jam that I really liked and that I actually have. I've always been a fan of Big Wreck.

September 1, 2017 @ 10:20 AM

markosaar

I'm guessing it was an "Edge One or Two" thing. Over-exposure totally ruins songs/bands for me, and ironically they managed to do that with a lot of cancon.

September 1, 2017 @ 11:09 AM

Beatts

You can cut the sexual tension between you two with a knife on this episode.

September 1, 2017 @ 2:45 PM

Beatts

Sorry, mean't to post the previous comment on the Jay Onrait episode, but posted here by mistake.

September 1, 2017 @ 2:45 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Re: Big Wreck
Not just Edge 102, but HTZ FM, Q107 when they actually played good music in the 90's, any rock station probably played the hell out of The Oaf, That Song and Blown Wide Open.

September 1, 2017 @ 3:53 PM

@Beatts

Thought so... Jay was trying to get me into the bed around the corner.

September 1, 2017 @ 7:14 PM

chris

Now if Sophia was trying to get me into the bed - No Question or problem.
Not a fan of her Kick out the Jams but she is a heartbeat for sure.

September 1, 2017 @ 7:50 PM

Aldo

I know you're happily married and all that, but there was some serious sexual tension here. I'm taking Sam Malone / Diane Chambers sexual tension. Just sayin....

Great episode.... a worthy follow up to the Jay Onrait special.

September 1, 2017 @ 7:54 PM

Aldo

taking = talking

September 1, 2017 @ 8:00 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Every episode opens me up to some music I either haven't heard for sometime or never at all. Forgot about Big Wrecks Blown away, and only have heard the Revivalists Wish I knew you when I was young.
Larry Fedoruk also had some jams I had never heard.
I guess I am showing my age, but I always cringe what I hear the word Mother F****r with the intro.

September 1, 2017 @ 11:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Blown Wide Open

September 1, 2017 @ 11:08 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Should I change it?

When I first thought of these KOTJ episodes, in my head I heard it starting with MC5 so everyone knows right off the top that it's a KOTJ ep and not a "normal" ep.

Personally, I have no problem with "Mother Fucker" in this context, but if listeners are offended, I'd consider changing it.

September 2, 2017 @ 10:08 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I am not really offended Mike, just like the C word, it could be just my personal comfort level.

September 2, 2017 @ 1:07 PM

Rick C in Oakville

September 2, 2017 @ 1:07 PM

dale

Personally the word "Mother ****er" have always hated it.
Like the C & N word to me. I usually skip past your intros with this.

September 2, 2017 @ 1:30 PM

@dale

Funny how we see words...

To me the "N" word is completely unacceptable for a white guy to say... but remember, the swear in question here is a clip from a song. I listen to many, many songs that use many, many "N" words. I'm completely fine with that, so long as the person saying it is black.

As for the "C" word, which is tossed around liberally by the Brits, I won't say it because I think many would find it offensive. I also wouldn't say "MFer" on the podcast...

The key here, IMHO, is that it's a clip from an MC5 song. In that context, I think it's different...

September 2, 2017 @ 3:33 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Hmmm, when you put it in this context, slightly less cringe worthy...

September 2, 2017 @ 4:13 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Personally I'm not offended but hey that's just me.

September 3, 2017 @ 10:38 AM

Javed Jafri

Context IS everything. I can accept the Up against the wall motherf***** in the Jefferson Airplane's "WE Can Be Together" or Country Joe's Fish Cheer on "I'm Fixin to Die". I saw both of as examples protesting an immoral war.

This from Rolling Stone regarding the JA song:
"We Can Be Together" (1969)
Just a few months after the MC5 battled with Elektra over the utterance of "motherf**ker" on Kick Out the Jams, Paul Kantner threw the same word into "We Can Be Together." One of the Jefferson Airplane's most savage, incendiary statements, the song embraces every negative stereotype of the counterculture — "We are obscene, lawless, hideous, dangerous, dirty, violent and young" — before dropping the M-bomb and proclaiming, "We are the forces of chaos and anarchy." Never Mind the Bollocks was still eight years away.

September 3, 2017 @ 4:52 PM

chuck99

When Sophia first appeared on your podcast last fall, I had a bad feeling that her days at Sportsnet might be coming to a close. To be removed from an on-air position on Hockey Night in Canada and be assigned to do pre-recorded interviews for Scotiabank Wednesday night hockey seemed like a demotion to me. It appeared that she was collateral damage from the fallout over lower ratings which cost Strombo his job.

I wish her all the best as a free-lance broadcaster. Although financially challenging, it will giver her an opportunity to grow as a broadcaster by accepting assignments that would have been unavailable to her while under contract to Rogers.

September 4, 2017 @ 4:24 PM

mdoucette77

I was listening to this yesterday while out on a run, and so far this is one of my favourite KOTJs...for running at least. Nice variety and some new songs that I've never heard before. The 2nd song (can't remember what it was but it was the one that played a long time because Mike didn't know when to turn it down and talk) had a great tempo for running cadence, and sounded awesome. Elvis still has one of my favourite KOTJs for driving, but this one is a close second especially with the abbreviated #realtalk at the start

September 7, 2017 @ 6:26 AM