Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 250: Andrew Stoakley Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 250In this 250th episode, Mike and Andrew play and discuss his ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:31:54.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Stoakley and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

This is exactly what I need to hear on my commute home. Just listened to two particularly harrowing podcasts episodes ... a Hardcore History one detailing mediaeval torture-to-the-death, and horrible true crime Sword and Scale.

July 10, 2017 @ 4:08 PM

Rob J

@markosaar

If you like 'Sword and Scale' I heartily recommend "Casefile True Crime"

July 10, 2017 @ 4:58 PM

Liz

YAY! I love Andrew.

Downloading for the trip home.

What a nice Monday afternoon surprise!

July 10, 2017 @ 5:04 PM

markosaar

@Rob J,

Will do! And likewise, maybe check out Criminal if you haven't? It's still true-crime but focuses more on weird cases, sometimes even whimsical, rather than the worst of the worst.

July 10, 2017 @ 5:53 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Mike, once again great commentary and insight from both you and
Andrew. I truly believe that you could continue to record these episodes
until the end of time and the format would not go stale. Can't wait for the next
instalment!

July 10, 2017 @ 6:13 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

On that note, Mike Stafford was scheduled to visit tomorrow to break out the jams, but he threw his back out and will be over as soon as he's up and walking around again.

July 10, 2017 @ 6:17 PM

markosaar

Guess I'll speak vaguely in case people are reading the comments before listening and it would be "spoilery", but apparently I've never heard track #1 before in its entirety. Did not recognise it at all until the chorus. But I keep hearing and reading about it.

Re: the Tom Petty remarks -- Petty didn't like videos? His videos are legendary! Some of the very best of the format. Don't Come Around Here No More, Mary Jane's Last Dance and Learning to Fly come immediately to mind.

Yay track #3 was an early favourite for me. Used another of their tracks for our wedding march.

...might be time for a Scrubs rewatch. Or maybe I should try to just finish the last season.

Maybe there needs to be an unofficial torontomike.com meetup at C'est What? :P

Yep, that last song is god damned amazing.

My phone wakeup alarm tone when I could first customise them was a midi version of Blue Monday hah. Worked great with how it builds up and slowly gets louder and louder...

July 10, 2017 @ 6:42 PM

Andrew

Thanks for having me back Mike. Hard to believe it had been that long since the last episode, but let's be honest, you've had some solid guests between mine :)

Thanks for the remarks so far... it was a lot of fun to compile and figure it out.

@ Makosaar - Yup, Petty hating doing videos because he always felt that his videos would be mentally associated with the video instead of the song - I agree, he made great videos, but he didn't like it. In the interview I saw, he specifically talks about the Alice in Wonderland vibe and how it really bothered him.

Keep 'em coming... and thanks Liz! I hope you liked the selections :)

Cheers,

Andrew

July 10, 2017 @ 7:39 PM

dale

Great podcast & great songs Andrew, especially your 1st (Tiny Dancer).
Good chemistry with both of you & Mike thanks for "Kickin' Out The Jams".

July 10, 2017 @ 8:10 PM

Anon&on

Tiny Dancer = WKRP In Cincinnati for me. My personal rule for favourite song/album lists is a minimum of 5 years (either post release date or post personal discovery) otherwise I'd have 3 songs/albums from the past year on my lists.

(I also recommend Criminal, superb production quality, even down to the visuals branding/website/merch).

July 10, 2017 @ 8:33 PM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

Did you happen to ask about podcast MP3 compression when you had Andrew available?

July 11, 2017 @ 7:24 AM

DUTCH

@ Rob J @ Markosaar

A couple more sites Historical Crime Detective and Here be Monsters. Love the Jams lots of great tune lists.

July 11, 2017 @ 9:51 AM

Liz

This one was joyful! Loved it. What a happy listen.

This approach - asking people to pick their 10 top tunes - is refreshing, and insightful.

July 11, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

James Edgar

Awesome. Just awesome. Great tracks and even better conversation. really loved this one. keep up the great work mike.

July 11, 2017 @ 11:05 AM

James Edgar

And I forgot to say I was at that 1990 Canada Show . Andrew is correct It was a fantastic lineup and my first Hip Show.

July 11, 2017 @ 11:12 AM

@markosaar

I did not, but we did review the hardware setup and settings.

As I recall, he didn't know much about Audacity, but I'll send him an email before he heads north for some R&R.

July 11, 2017 @ 11:31 AM

markosaar

@Toronto Mike,

Well I was speaking more about the MP3 export compression settings -- that's more abstract and not specific to Audacity.

I.e. for @Andrew's benefit since he's probably reading this:

I was saying the podcast feed is currently in discrete stereo channels, 192 kbps total. I was suggesting you change to joint-stereo and drop the bitrate and/or use a variable setting...

July 11, 2017 @ 1:46 PM

Andrew

@ Markosaar...

'Technical production by Rob Johnston' is the man to answer those questions.... I deal with packaged audio in limited quantities. I'm not sure what setting Mike has been using for the back end, I'm more the front end nuts and bolts guy :)

Cheers,
Andrew

July 11, 2017 @ 2:20 PM

markosaar

Haha. On that note I checked the official Ongoing History MP3s.

I goofed, Toronto Mike'd is actually joint-stereo (as is Ongoing History). The software I was using to check the codec didn't show it how I was expecting. The only other technical difference is that Ongoing History uses 128 kbps whereas Toronto Mike'd is 192 kpbs. So two-thirds the amount of data used.

July 11, 2017 @ 3:15 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Great selections Andrew, almost brings me back to listening to Scot Turner's Spirit of radio Sundays, miss putting this on. Cheers!

July 19, 2017 @ 9:23 PM

Andrew

Thanks Rick!
I miss that show too....
Cheers,