Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 241: Mark Hebscher Kicks Out the Jams!

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 241In this 241st episode, Mike and Mark Hebscher play and discuss Mark's ten favourite songs. This episode is exactly 1:21:33.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Hebsy and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery and Property in the 6ix

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Javed Jafri

Great episode. Impressed with Marc's musical knowledge. Just listening at aboput the 41 minute mark. Thrilled that Mark knew about Ricky Fataar of the Beach Boys and is familiar with My Morning Jacket. Friend of The Devil by the Dead is a personal fave !

One thing to point out "I Feel Fine" by the Beatles used intentional feedback in late 1964 and Satisfaction by the Stones used fuzztone in 1967. There were a lot of garage bands such as The Seeds, Count Five and Paul Revere and The Raiders that started to use the fuzztone on sinles from 1965 onward.

June 14, 2017 @ 6:37 PM

Anonymous

Had to correct some typos. Iknow it's Mark. Have been following since Sportsline and not sure why I typed Marc. . Satisfaction was released in 1965. Peaches En Regalia - what a fantastic choice !

June 14, 2017 @ 7:00 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

No concert tee's from any relevant bands?

June 14, 2017 @ 7:23 PM

dale

Good concept with those personalities revisiting. Hebsy was great but his choice of songs sucked & we are born in the same year & same age. Only song I would even consider in my top "25" would be Rikki Don't Lose that #. He has his favs & I do mine in the same generation.
U & Hebsy have great comradery together.
I could list my 10 top songs but I think you should put it out on your blog as it would be interesting.

June 14, 2017 @ 9:48 PM

Rule #1: Nobody's list of favourite songs can suck. If a guest comes in with 10 Nickelback songs, that's A-OK!

June 14, 2017 @ 10:05 PM

Mike Wilner's coming over with his ten songs next week.

June 14, 2017 @ 10:06 PM

Javed Jafri

Some fantastic tracks in the top 10 including those by The Beatles, Stones, The Grateful Dead,Steely Dan, Zappa and The Clash. I'd maybe pick a different Roxy Music track perhaps Virginia Plain from the days when the other Brian was in the Band. Brian Eno.

June 14, 2017 @ 10:50 PM

markosaar

Bay City Rollers reference makes me think of this cover by Ned's Atomic Dustbin for the So I Married An Axe Murderer soundtrack:

Apparently Mike Myers was a fan and requested it. The video is a bit of a who's who with Phil Hartman, Michael Richards, proto-Fat Bastard, etc.

June 14, 2017 @ 11:55 PM

Brandon

Looking forward to listening to this one! And is that a selfie stick that Mark is holding, or a way to flog Toronto Mike repeatedly if the questions get too probing? :)

June 15, 2017 @ 7:35 AM

@Brandon

Hebsy doesn't leave the house without his selfie stick!

June 15, 2017 @ 8:15 AM

Javed Jafri

Great Rollers reference on this track that did get occasional play on the old CFNY.

Rollers Show from Nick Lowe's "Pure Pop for Now People" that title chosen for North America as the thought was the UK title "The Jesus of Cool" was too controversial:

June 15, 2017 @ 8:56 AM

Sam in Pickering

I love this series!

June 15, 2017 @ 9:26 AM

Anonymous

Awesome episode!

Not on board with some of his top ten his top 10 but it's his so that's cool.

From the 6 degrees of separation file . I worked security at Hebsy's parents condo for a few months in 2001 while i was in night school for IT. they were particularly nice residents. I particularly remember his dad but if I'm not mistaken his Mom was a teacher so maybe i'm remembering her too. Hebsy came in a few times and i wanted to say "hey love your show " was didn't want to be a dork.

When I was a kid my sister took me to Disney world , Ricky Don't lose that number was burnt into my brain it played so often on the radio in the rental car.

Looking forward to more.

June 15, 2017 @ 1:00 PM

Beatts

I posted this memory on Mark's first episode but thought I would share it again as it still makes me laugh...

I have a funny Hebsy moment. Back in the early 90's my older brother and I headed up to catch a Leaf game at the Gardens. We got to Toronto early and decided to hang out around the back of the Gardens on Wood street to see if any of the players making the way in the back door.

There's around 20 of us there. Mostly parents and kids when I spot Mark Hebscher walking towards us.

A kid of maybe 12 years old spots him and yells out "Hey! It's Jim Tatti!"

"Fuck off Kid" says Hebsy.

My brother and I absolutely bust out laughing. It was so awkwardly funny.

June 15, 2017 @ 3:13 PM

Rob J

Best kept secret in Ont media is the reason for 'Hebsy' getting hit with a major suspension from CHCH. But he's 'funny' so who cares.

June 15, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

@Rob J

Not everything needs to be public.

June 15, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Rob J

I suppose...

June 15, 2017 @ 3:53 PM

Michael Hum

Loved this, Keep these coming.

June 16, 2017 @ 8:11 AM

Javed Jafri

I'm listening to this now for the second time and it's amazing. Mark's knowledge of session players like Jim Gordon and Bobby Keys. The fact that he mentions that Mick Taylor came from Mayal's Blues breakers. The fact that he knows that the song FM was never on a Steely Dan album ( The movie FM is sometimes mentioned as the inspiration for the WKRP TV series). Music geeks will delight but the delivery is in a manner for everyone to enjoy.

June 16, 2017 @ 10:11 AM

Steely Dan fans will enjoy this.

June 16, 2017 @ 11:13 AM

Beatts

Finally was able to listen to this.

LOVE the format. Really enjoyed the banter and music tidbits. Reminded me of the Facebook "7 day music challenge" from a year or two ago. I enjoyed participating in that and describing each day what 7 specific songs meant to me.

Good work Mike

June 17, 2017 @ 1:48 PM

Mark Hebscher

Mike, I think you've hit upon a brilliant concept. I'd like to know what every listener's top ten list would look/sound like. I'll hang up now and listen for your answer.

June 26, 2017 @ 7:29 PM