Sid the Kid

The first time I wrote about Sidney Crosby was October 6, 2003. He was tearing it up with the Rimouski Oceanic as a 16-year old and I had just read a quote from Wayne Gretzky claiming he was the most talented prospect he'd seen since Mario Lemieux. That got my attention.

I closed that entry with "No pressure...." After all, he was only sixteen, and all hockey eyes were affixed upon The Next One. The Leafs had a 1.92% chance of drafting Crosby, but Pittsburgh won the lottery. I remember being relieved that it wasn't a team I disliked. In fact, thanks to Mario, I actually liked the Penguins.

Sidney Crosby is now 29 years old. Last night, I watched him win the Stanley Cup for the third time. He won the Conn Smythe trophy for the second year in a row. Along with his three cups, he's won two Olympic Gold medals, a World Cup and even a World Championship. The World Championship might not mean a whole lot, but it makes him the only person to captain a team to gold in the big three tournaments. All Sid does is win.

And by all accounts, Sid's work ethic is second-to-none. He trains and competes harder than anyone else on the ice, despite being the most talented player in the world. In my opinion, Wayne Gretzky was exactly right. Crosby is the best player since Lemieux.

And I still think he's underrated.

pens

Urooj Islam

If anyone is truly underrated on these Penguins teams, it's Malkin.

He matches Crosby individual accomplishment for individual accomplishment (Has won Calder, Hart, Art Ross X2 and Conn Smythe) but gets nowhere near the recognition.

Plus, he lead the Penguins in points in these playoffs but you wouldn't know it by the Crosby heavy narrative.

June 12, 2017 @ 5:35 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike Sid is the greatest of our generation, but he still has not won near as many championships as Corey Perry.

June 12, 2017 @ 5:37 PM

Rob J

Totally agree on Crosby's exceptionalism...remember how close he came to being a Duck had the lottery gone the other way with Anaheim and Pittsburgh the final two left standing? High drama.

And Malkin is wildly underrated...not even voted in as one of the NHL's Top 100 of all-time!

June 12, 2017 @ 5:56 PM

IMHO, Malkin is the #2 center on the Pens. He's great, don't get me wrong, but he's not Sid.

Just remember, last year when the Penguins won the Stanley Cup, Phil Kessel led the team in points.

June 12, 2017 @ 6:35 PM

And re: Corey Perry, he's got 1 Stanley Cup. Sid's got three. I don't think a Memorial Cup makes up for that in the slightest.

June 12, 2017 @ 6:37 PM

The Voice of Reason

Corey Perry became a member of the Triple Gold Club after captaining Canada to gold at the 2016 IIHF World Championships, in addition to previously winning the Stanley Cup and the Olympic gold medal. Perry is only the second player (joining Scott Niedermayer) to combine Triple Gold membership with gold at the World Junior Championships, a Memorial Cup win, and a World Cup of Hockey win.

June 12, 2017 @ 10:21 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Rob J

No surprise there, puckheads hate Russians.

June 12, 2017 @ 11:16 PM

I need to check out this Top 100 list...

June 13, 2017 @ 8:22 AM

Rick

And all this with multiple concussions. I don't think he was 100% for most of these playoffs and look what he was still able to do. His performance in Game 5 of the Finals was amazing.

June 13, 2017 @ 8:41 AM

The Voice of Reason

Hopefully Conor McDavid has an equally great career. I would have been great to have the best two players in the world challenging each other for the Stanley Cup.

June 13, 2017 @ 11:30 AM

Rob J

TM,

That 'official ' list came out last winter as part of the 100th anniversary (actually it was the 99th as they failed to play in 2004-2005). Not a bad idea except they didn't bother ranking the players from 1-100; they did it more by team.

Everyone's favourite columnist, Steve Simmons, did his own Top 100, and raised my dander and ire by not including Mike Modano and his 500+ goals and 1200+ points. But the NHL leaving Malkin off their selections was their major omission (IMO).

June 13, 2017 @ 11:44 AM

Urooj Islam

I wonder if any player has won multiple Conn Smythe trophies without leading his team in goals or points during the Cup run.

June 13, 2017 @ 12:42 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Urooj Islam

My first thought was Patrick Roy.

June 13, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

Urooj Islam

@ The Voice of Reason

I should have specified non-goalies, thought that was implied.

June 13, 2017 @ 1:28 PM

mrmojorisinca

I've always been SID FAN..I believe his is top 5 to every have played (and he still playing) but I also believe Spots 1, 2 and 3 and maybe 4 are untouchable.

June 13, 2017 @ 2:10 PM

Here's the Top 100: https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/100-greatest-nhl-players

Clearly fake news because there's no Dougie G!

June 13, 2017 @ 3:57 PM

dale

Malkin should be top 100 for sure & as for Dougie - not in my top 125.
Sid in my to 10, but not YET close to top 5.

June 13, 2017 @ 5:43 PM

Dougie G is top 5 for sure!

June 13, 2017 @ 5:59 PM

dale

You have got to be kidding. Top 5 overall NHL???? Maybe top 25 for overall Leafs team.
U must have had a conversation with Cheryl about her fav, MANY players.

June 13, 2017 @ 6:47 PM

Rob J

Has Gilmour "walked in" on Mike Richards' podcast yet?? He was the only potential guest mentioned when interviewed by TM.

June 13, 2017 @ 7:02 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Makes one wonder if Gilmours babysitter fabricated fake news.

June 13, 2017 @ 7:28 PM

Urooj Islam

Any of you guys as weirdly excited about the Golden Knights expansion draft as I am?

I love expansion drafts, we used to have so many in the 1990s and early 2000s but they're incredibly rare in sports now. The only time when real sports mimics fantasy sports for a change.

June 13, 2017 @ 10:07 PM

Rob J

@ Urooj Islam

I would love to be a GM like George McPhee, building a pro team from the ground up exactly how I want (within the parameters). I wonder how many secret deals have already been made between McPhee and the other 30 managers. Can't believe they start play in 4 months.

June 13, 2017 @ 10:18 PM

Urooj Islam

@ Rob J

Agreed, the hush/hush deals add so much intrigue to it.

Plus, speaking of Penguins that ended up underrated because of Crosby's giant shadow, Marc-Andre Fleury looks like he's involved in one of those deals and could be the opening Knight (HA!) starter for Las Vegas.

June 13, 2017 @ 11:39 PM

Rob J

Definitely a 'Golden' possibility for Fleury...but I wonder if he'd be more valuable as trade-bait for a team needing a veteran goalie like Calgary, sending a draft pick or prospect to the Knights. He's obviously played his last game as a Pen either way.

June 14, 2017 @ 12:03 AM

4 months is too long

re: Rob J: ".. Can't believe they start play in 4 months .. "

4 months is too long to wait to see Auston, Willie & MItch light things up.

I so enjoyed this past Leafs season.

June 14, 2017 @ 12:52 AM

Gary Middleton

All true and well said, but he probably should not have been on the ice at this point.

June 15, 2017 @ 2:06 AM

JJ

@ Urooji

Your comments are being blown off by these blowhards who get down on their knees & do u know what to Crosby. U r right on the money. U never would know any other player plays for Pitt. Malkin, like u said, is right there. He got 3 cups too!!

Hate to say it but the winning move by Rutherford was picking up Kessel. Pitt has too many good scorers, look at the final NHL Playoff scoring, Top 4 guys were from Pitt.

& to think Ottawa was double OT from making it.

U can blame Renne for the loss & the refs in Game 6. Renne was a sieve in Gm 1 & 2.

There is a lot of people who hate Crosby, not cuz he is a good player, but cuz he is terribly over-rated by the media, especially the CBC.

June 17, 2017 @ 12:22 PM

@JJ

I'm pretty sure you're suggesting he's overrated by Rogers, not the CBC. The CBC has nothing to do with the content of Hockey Night in Canada.

June 17, 2017 @ 12:24 PM