Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

B.E.F.

I've never posted on an Open Mike before. I figured if I was going to pop my cherry, I wanted to be first.

First!

June 9, 2017 @ 9:14 AM

Ryan G

I came to realize i'm not going to go to concerts anymore for bands i'm only semi interested in.

A friend picked up some Sigur Ros tickets a couple of weeks back and I thought, what the hell. It was at that venue near ontario place..echo beach i believe it's called. We get out of the cab and the lineup to get in is massive - it stretches across that bridge over Lakeshore - a 1/2 km i'd guess. So my partial interest kicked in right away. Despite the 70 dollar price tag, we just about got back in the cab to ditch the concert, but noticed there was a significantly shorter line for Amex card holders, so we joined that. They didn't even ask if any of us had an Amex.

Got inside and the sightlines are shite. That is, unless you want to get in close. And because i'm not completely into the band, getting in close did not look appealing at all. You're basically stuck there for the duration -otherwise you're clawing your way anywhere to hit the head or get a beer. Screw that noise.

As for the music - it's gorgeous stuff, and my fave track, Glosoli, was performed pristinely and sounds exactly like the recording (google the video - it's awesome). But then, after a while, the stuff sorta kinda starts to sound alike, which I suppose you can say about any band you go see I suppose, but if you're really into that band, you don't mind that it sorta kinda starts to sound alike.

One odd thing - there were a lot of people who were sitting on the grass...i mean..not on a hill..on the grass..while everyone was standing directly in front of them, meaning they saw nothing. Maybe it's a Sigur Ros thing.

June 9, 2017 @ 9:27 AM

Rob J

Here's a "where-are-they-now" for Jays' fans: Flame thrower Brandon Morrow is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA out of the Dodgers' bullpen. Roberts is using him in late inning pressure situations.

June 9, 2017 @ 10:08 AM

mrmojorisinca

@ Ryan

I don't think its a Sigur Ros thing, I see that at alot of shows..some people stand some sit.
I've seen people bring in chair like contraptions to outdoor venues..they basically a pillow with a backrest no mental, you see one of these and you know they aint getting up :)

June 9, 2017 @ 10:14 AM

@Ryan G

I can honestly say I've never sat for the headliner. Not once.

June 9, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

Anonymous

I found my Open Mike.I just knew I would. I knew It would happen for sure.
Cavs are done like burnt toast.

June 9, 2017 @ 11:05 AM

mrmojorisinca

fors the first time..I had to clear my cache to find the new open mike

June 9, 2017 @ 11:50 AM

Freedom 55

How are the plans coming along for "Toronto Mike'd Podcastpalooza 2017" live from the GLB patio?

June 9, 2017 @ 1:40 PM

@Freedom 55

I barely have time right now to plan my lunch!

June 9, 2017 @ 5:40 PM

twins from bolton

Personally I dislike Lebron James as he is not the same persona as a Michael Jordan who left for BBall for a few years for & then came back to the game that he loved . Lebron James will NEVER even challenge MJ or even Wilt Chamberlain with his ability. He all about ME.

My both sons played BBall (hardball) - Rep for many years & 1 moving away for Univ. & then later a family plays softball as recreation as his time permits & commitments at home. He is classified as a call up for other teams in a league. 2 weeks ago he played - 2 HR's. Last week another 2HR's with another team playing against the team a week before. The League Pres. asked him if he could please bat from other side for the rest of the season when you play.
Last Friday he batted left & hit HR over the fence & broke a light bulb in the Centre Field light standards. He called me to tell me about it.
Cavs are done.

June 9, 2017 @ 7:41 PM

@twin from bolton

Respectfully, that's crazy talk.

"Lebron James will NEVER even challenge MJ or even Wilt Chamberlain with his ability."

Debate away, it's impossible to prove, but your bias is showing if you can't even consider the fact that LeBron might be the greatest of all time and is undoubtedly in the conversation.

June 9, 2017 @ 7:48 PM

Rob J

Twins from bolton is the clubhouse leader for worst sports opinion of the year, though with 7 months to go, there's time for someone to bash Tom Brady, Sidney Crosby, Usain Bolt, or Clayton Kershaw.

June 9, 2017 @ 8:02 PM

twins from bolton

@ Mike
LBJ #3 on my list far behind, Just ahead of Larry Bird. Impossible to prove but MJ made NBA what is today & Wilt did the same in the 70's. MJ & Wilt changed the NBA to make it is today & LBJ is part of it, much like saying Gretzky & Lemieux is better Crosby.
Go son - another HR tonight as a call up for another team.

June 9, 2017 @ 8:06 PM

@twins from bolton

These topics make for great bar debates. I dig it.

Gretzky and Lemieux are better than Crosby. And I'm a huge Crosby fan, rooting for him to win his 3rd Cup this weekend.

LBJ is so much better than Bird it's not funny. Magic was better than Bird, and LBJ is better than Magic. The top two ever are MJ and LBJ, and the order depends on how much value you put on the number of rings. Personally, I have LBJ #1.

My favourite of these debates is Orr vs. Gretzky. Everyone agrees they're the two best, but the order you put them in often depends upon when you were born. Those born in the 60s and earlier usually go with Orr, those born in the 70s or later always go with The Great One.

June 9, 2017 @ 8:11 PM

Daniel

@Toronto Mike

LBJ is the better all around basketball player

Jordan has had the more distinguished career. so far

June 9, 2017 @ 8:39 PM

@twb

And one more thing about your "I personally dislike LeBron" comment.

Michael Jordan is an asshole. He might be the greatest basketball player of all time, with six rings and a spot on my childhood bedroom wall, but by most accounts he was a dick.

If I could spend an hour having lunch with MJ or an hour having lunch with LeBron, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the latter. LeBron appears thoughtful, isn't afraid to take a political stance, and has led three different teams (two franchises, but three teams) to the NBA finals.

And believe me when I tell you this.... I never, ever thought I'd witness a player as good as Jordan again. I'm as stunned as anyone that I've seen someone better in my lifetime.

June 9, 2017 @ 8:40 PM

@Daniel

That's all I'm saying. LBJ is the better all around basketball player. :)

June 9, 2017 @ 8:40 PM

Rob J

What about the greatest baseball players of all-time? Put me down for Willie Mays and Sandy Koufax. (I do not include pre-segregation players in my evaluation).

June 9, 2017 @ 9:43 PM

Rob J

Meanig I do not include players from the segregation era, of course.

June 9, 2017 @ 9:47 PM

Urooj Islam

Former Muchmusic VJ Amanda Walsh was in the first Big Bang Theory pilot before being replaced by Kaley Cuoco for the second pilot.

The rest is history.

I didn't know that.

June 9, 2017 @ 10:25 PM

@Rob J

Do you include those who likely used PEDs?

June 9, 2017 @ 10:32 PM

Urooj Islam

@Rob J

Brandon Morrow is still in baseball? Wow.

I recently learned that Dustin McGowan is still in baseball but Brandon Morrow is legitimately surprising because of how often his arm falls off.

June 9, 2017 @ 11:00 PM

@ TM

Man, I struggle with that as much now as when it all hit the fan during the Congressional Hearings...I actually had typed 'Bonds' before changing it to Mays. Knowing guys like Mays, Aaron, Williams, Griffey Jr, Musial, Maddux. Ryan, Big Unit, etc. surely racked up their stats 'clean' makes it easier to pick them, but hard to ignore Bonds and the Rocket!

If time-travel ever were to be possible, I'd immediately head south and to the mid 1960s to watch a Koufax no-hitter or two.

Which athlete would you most want to have seen?

June 10, 2017 @ 1:03 AM

@Rob J

I think I'd like to see Babe Ruth.

June 10, 2017 @ 8:08 AM

Cheryl

Okay. Why couldn't I find this open Mike yesterday? I found it today. Okay. This is what will happen. No, the Cavs are not done. They won last night. They will win it in seven games. They have to play three more. You see, the NBA wants a longer finals so the refs let the Warriors win the first three games instead of the Cavs winning in the beginning. That's the way it is, so it will go seven with the last game a week from today, so there is still a week of playoffs. Anyway, my Orioles lost. Jonathan Schoop hit a home run, but that was the only good thing. They lost. My Diamondbacks also lost. My Indians won though. That's great. Corey Kluber was shaky in the beginning, but they won. Edwin Encarnacion hit another home run. Anyway, so remember what I said. Cavs in seven because it will happen.

June 10, 2017 @ 8:22 AM

The Voice of Reason

The leftist press in the US is relentless when it comes to President Trump. It is almost like are using the same playbook the the Toronto Star used during its daily assaults on Rob Ford.

June 10, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

@ TVOR

Good thing TM didn't have a blog during Watergate. Your weekly chastisement of Woodward and Bernstein in their "hateful leftist pursuit of the angelic and pure Nixon presidency" would not have aged well.

June 10, 2017 @ 11:57 AM

dale

Little Green Bag was a song in the 60's from George Baker Selection.

June 10, 2017 @ 4:12 PM

@dale

Is that a reply to this tweet?

Little Green Bag is a mondegreen. The lyric is "little greenback" but was erroneously titled "Little Green Bag" https://t.co/O0QK36D1JJ

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) June 10, 2017
June 10, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

Cheryl

Well, baseball wasn't great yesterday except my Diamondbacks won. Another homer by Brandon Drury. Anyway, my Indians lost even though there were homers by Edwin Encarnacion and Carlos Santana. That was no good that they lost though. Also my Orioles really got clobbered. That was no good. Anyway, Cavs are honestly and truly going to win the next three games. The NBA wanted a longer finals so that's why it won't end until a week from today.

June 11, 2017 @ 8:27 AM

twins from bolton

A proud Dad, but concerned. One of my sons still plays BBall in Ottawa in a rec. league. With his family commitments (2 young kids) he only signed up as a sub for when other teams need players to play a game. He can play for any team as they have a list of sub players. He has played 5 or 6 games already this year.
He told me yesterday that in those games he has hit 6-7 HR's & past Friday over center field fence & broke a light bulb on the light standard. The row of lights when dark.
Told him he may get a bill from City of Ottawa to fix the lights. Always was a great player on rep teams in Bolton.

June 11, 2017 @ 1:23 PM

JJ

Enough with the comparison bullshit. Jordan was the best during his playing time & definitely more exciting than James. Even the game was different back then, much more physical than these floppers today. He had to go through the bad boys of Detroit, the tenacity of the Knicks, etc. Each round was no pushover. How about that time when he scored 50+ when he had the flu. Mike was an icon.

When is James going to have a new decision special when he goes to the Lakers.

After all that was said, still hope James & the Cavs come back to beat those prima donnas from SF. Curry squatting on the Cavs floor was disgusting. Cavs just got to get into the head of Green et al. There still is hope.

June 11, 2017 @ 4:06 PM

Rob J

What a great aftenoon to enjoy a GLB Blonde Lager (or 2) down here on the "My Place" patio in Niagara! Refreshment personified.

June 11, 2017 @ 4:37 PM

The Voice of Reason

Sidney Crosby, clearly the best player of this generation.

Congrats Pittsburgh.

June 12, 2017 @ 5:34 AM

Cheryl

Well, Pens win the cup again. Believe me, next year it will be Habs or Coyotes. Yes, it will be Cavs in seven. The Warriors ran out of gas. The Cavs are the better team. The NBA wanted a long final so they let the Warriors win the first three games, but they won't win anymore because LeBron is the king and he will let the Cavs win it all. Baseball was okay. My Indians won again. No home runs though, but Edwin Encarnacion almost hit one again. Actually he did hit one, but the stupid ump called it a foul ball. That sucked. Well, my Diamondbacks also won. Brandon Drury does it again, homers. Also Paul Goldschmidt homered again. How about Robby Ray. He's becoming a great pitcher. I don't want to talk about the Orioles. They lost another one. That sucks. They got clobgbered again. Anyway, remember Cavs in seven.

June 12, 2017 @ 7:34 AM

Rob J

Chris Kunitz with as many Cups as Gretzky.

June 12, 2017 @ 9:34 AM

@TVOR

Without a doubt... Crosby is the best player since Mario.

Not yet 30 with 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Conn Smythe trophies and 2 Olympic Gold Medals.

June 12, 2017 @ 9:36 AM

@Rob J

And Kessel with as many cups as Mario!

June 12, 2017 @ 9:37 AM

@Rob J

And... chew on this one... Matt Murray has as many Stanley Cups as a rookie as Mario did his entire career!

June 12, 2017 @ 9:38 AM

Rob J

Back-to-back in the Salary Cap era was not supposed to be possible (especially with a roster of defencemen named 'Who?'), but they've got to be the early favourite for 2018 as well.

June 12, 2017 @ 10:11 AM

mrmojorisinca

I had them to win at the start..but to do it with that D...Good on them..

They seem to start slow in almost all series, take the time figure out the game they needed to play against each opposing team and then executed and along with some luck as well..I'd venture they can pull out another in the next 2 to three years..maybe not next year..they will need time to recover what has been a long 365 days for most of them.

June 12, 2017 @ 10:23 AM

Rob J

Oh, and Tennesse continues its current reign as the most hapless state with 0 titles in 53 combined professional seasons (Preds, Titans, Grizzlies). Though its amateur (wink wink) college teams do well.

The most underachieving province? British Columbia with 0 titles in its combined Canucks and Grizzlies seasons. Assuming every team has an equal chance of winning, it should have had between 2 and 3 champs by now. (CFL not included in the results)

June 12, 2017 @ 11:59 AM

collingwood dave

I hate to pick on Cheryl but.." the NBA wants longer finals so the refs let the Warriors win the first three games" is the most ridiculous statement I have ever seen..

June 12, 2017 @ 12:57 PM

Rob J

The statement you quoted isn't even the most ridiculous one since last Friday's Open Mike was posted.

June 12, 2017 @ 2:46 PM

Did anyone see the scores when LeBron is on the court vs. when he's on the bench?

If LeBron never came off the floor, the Cavs would be winning!

June 12, 2017 @ 2:52 PM

Broni

@ Rob J
"The most underachieving province? British Columbia with 0 titles in its combined Canucks and Grizzlies seasons."

I'm not so sure your math checks out. If we look at actual seasons:

Canucks (1970-): 46 years: zero Cups
Grizzlies (95-2001): 6 years: zero championships

Leafs: In the same 46 years: zero Cups
Raptors: In the same 6 years plus another 16 years: zero championships

I'd sure rather my hometown had at least one championship to crow about, but hey, if we're counting. at least the Canucks have been to the finals 3 times in my lifetime.

June 12, 2017 @ 3:14 PM

Toronto is no big powerhouse here, as we all know, but at least we won the World Series in '92 and '93, which was in most of our lifetimes.

So I'd say Toronto has had more pro sport success than Vancouver. :)

June 12, 2017 @ 3:19 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Crosby scored "The Golden Goal" for Canada in Vancouver in 2010. That one event alone Trumps any Canadian pro team success in the past 40 years.

June 12, 2017 @ 4:04 PM

@TVOR

Sure, but he won it for Canada, not Vancouver. We share that moment.

June 12, 2017 @ 4:09 PM

@Broni

Ontario (multiple titles for both Leafs and Jays) is the most successful province and Massachusetts (Sox, Pats, Celtics, Bruins) the most successful state.

June 12, 2017 @ 4:30 PM

Rob J

Frig, I typed that too quickly: Quebec is the most successful province (Habs with too many to count) and Ontario is #2.

June 12, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

@Rob J

It's kind of amazing that Massachusetts could beat New York, considering all the Yankees titles.

June 12, 2017 @ 4:40 PM

Rob J

I thought it was interesting too how Kentucky hasn't had a pro team in 100 years, but it goes nuts for college sports so they're satisfied. And Iowa had an NBA team the first year of the league. I wonder what cities with teams will look out of place (or be long gone) 100 years hence...

June 12, 2017 @ 4:44 PM

Rob J

For interest's sake, Massachusetts the higher % of seasons with titles: 37 champions in 382 combined seasons (9.7%), while NY teams have 56 titles, but in a whopping 804 seasons (6.9%).

June 12, 2017 @ 5:34 PM

andrew

@ Cheryl
So you are saying the NBA wanted for $ to have the final series go 7 games. How can the Warriors run out of gas as they hadn't lost a game in the NBA playoffs until the last game & Cav's have lost games.
I just enjoy reading your JOKE of the day with your comments every morning. Your sports knowledge is limited with only your favorite teams who constantly do poorly especially in the NHL playoffs.
YOUR HABS next year will be worse than this year with salary cap not changing. Arizona Coyotes may as well move to Quebec City or Seattle as terrible attendance & 2nd worse team in NHL.
Can't wait for your comment tomorrow. Golden State will win tonight, bet on it.

June 12, 2017 @ 7:38 PM

andrew

@Mike
Ok I'll be nice. Carey Price is probably the best goalie in NHL now.

June 12, 2017 @ 9:08 PM

@andrew

Agreed.

Although a 23 year old from Thunder Bay is just getting started...

June 12, 2017 @ 9:16 PM

Cheryl

I don't want to talk about the Cavs loss. My Cavs won it in seven last year so thought they could do it this year, but they didn't. It's awful. I don't like it at all. My Orioles also lost even though Trey Mancini hit a home run. They better start winning soon. My Indians and Diamondbacks had the night off. Yes, my Habs and Coyotes will be in the finals next year. It's about time my Habs win the cup again. It's been so long.

June 13, 2017 @ 7:22 AM

Anonymous

Just had to drop by to see what spin the crazy lady would put on last night sporting events.

June 13, 2017 @ 1:31 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Diamondbacks did win. That was close, and the Tigers tied it up at one point, but they won 7 to 6. Homers were by Brandon Drury again, Paul Goldschmidt, and David Peralta. My Indians and Orioles both lost again. Roberto Perez hit his first homer for my Indians, and Daniel Robertson also homered, but not enough. They better win tonight.

June 14, 2017 @ 8:01 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Diamondbacks won. That was close. My Orioles also finally won a game. Grand slam by Wellington Castillo. Let's hope they can turn it around. My Indians lost another one. Corey Kluber pitched well, but he didn't get the run support. That's too bad. I hope my Indians can turn it around, but I'm worried.

June 15, 2017 @ 7:36 AM