Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 234: Lou Schizas

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 234In this 234th episode, Mike chats with business analyst Lou Schizas about his years on BNN and AM640 and how to make money. This episode is exactly 1:30:05.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Lou Schizas and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Michael Hum

I noticed he asked you a lot of questions (than anyone else i think)

May 2, 2017 @ 6:19 PM

@Michael Hum

Yes, he did.

May 2, 2017 @ 6:34 PM

Cori

Each time I'm flipping through my AM stations and hear him, I have to stop and listen. Love the sarcasm and quips with the hosts.

May 2, 2017 @ 7:30 PM

Urooj Islam

Good episode.

He's awesome. His little minute an hour has been some of the most entertaining stuff AM640 has ever had on its airwaves especially with Oakley.

May 2, 2017 @ 8:18 PM

Rob J

35% of AM640's schedule is one show: "Coast to Coast AM" (8.5 hours from 9:00 pm- 5:30 am). Amazing they find time to squeeze this guy in.

May 2, 2017 @ 10:00 PM

chuck99

I look forward to listening to this podcast. Happy Capitalism :)

May 2, 2017 @ 10:54 PM

Brandon

Really enjoyed listening to this one. Great idea for a guest. I hadn't known anything about Lou other than the banter in the short AM640 segments so it was very interesting to hear of his background, time out west in Alberta, etc.

One question brought up was whether an all-traffic radio station exists in a Canadian market anywhere. Yes - there's "AM730" in Vancouver, http://www.am730.ca/, "All Traffic, All The Time".

"On Air Now: 12:00 AM-11:59 PM AM 730 Traffic 24 Hours a day" - that's even longer continuous programming than the "Coast to Coast" block Rob J mentions above. :)

May 3, 2017 @ 2:46 AM

Andrew

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the birthday shout out. It was most appreciative. Lou is a solid human. We used to have a lotta laughs in the morning at ROBtv / BNN. When the station launched in '99 I got a call from a friend who was trying to crew this new TV station and was having trouble. I agreed to try it out for a few weeks and 8 years later I decided to leave. That was on Dec 31, 2006. Our first studio for the first year and a bit was up the street from Hooker Harvey's and at that time, it was pretty seedy. It was not a nice area at 4 in the morning when we had to be there. There were so many problems at that place, but everyone kinda just stuck with it and when the station moved to King St. West in 2000, I got hired full time to be their main audio guy.

Lou was always fun to hang out with and chat and knew what the TV business was... he got it.

A great podcast - I'm glad people enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Andrew

May 3, 2017 @ 6:40 AM

Rob J

@Brandon

I'd definitely listen to a hybrid of "Coast" and an all-traffic station. Reporting where the UFO's and time-travellers are blocking the roads would fill a huge public service gap!

May 3, 2017 @ 12:13 PM

markosaar

@Andrew,

I'm a bit of the street from Hooker Harvey's these days ... if I were to guess which building housed a studio, it was gutted by fire a couple winters ago.

May 3, 2017 @ 12:48 PM

Internet radio

quote - Rob J: "35% of AM640's schedule is one show: "Coast to Coast AM" (8.5 hours from 9:00 pm- 5:30 am)."

When am1010 started bringing Art Bell's "Midnight in the Desert" show, we had dueling am640\am1010 Conspiracy shows. For me, listening was impossible.

So I got my Internet radio & my night time listening to Toronto radio a year+ later still remains close to nil.

May 3, 2017 @ 12:53 PM

Rob J

@internet Radio

Don't forget Richard Syrett's "Conspiracy Show" Sunday nights on Zoomer 740. Aliens and Bigfoot with a local flavour.

May 3, 2017 @ 2:37 PM

GDB

And...Richard Syrett occasionally hosts Coast to Coast AM too! (which is not always about conspiracies)

I love listening to Lou on AM 640. I am looking forward to this podcast.

May 3, 2017 @ 2:54 PM

Happy Capitalist

Stafford and Lou gave the podcast and website a good mention during their 9:55 chat on 640 this morning.

May 3, 2017 @ 3:35 PM

@Happy Capitalist

Very cool... I've got to track down that audio.

May 3, 2017 @ 4:41 PM

Happy Capitalist

Try Heather@640toronto.com

May 3, 2017 @ 4:55 PM

@Happy Capitalist

Thanks... I just wrote Heather.

May 3, 2017 @ 6:29 PM

Andrew

@Markasour

It was called Electric Images. On the west side of Jarvis, next too the white condo building. It was torn down a few years ago to make way for another condo. We got taken off the air one morning because crack addicts cut open our fibre box and stole all the glass ends to make pipes. It was hilarious!!!

May 3, 2017 @ 8:37 PM

markosaar

@Andrew,

Ah okay. There was some other related business nearby when I started here a few weeks ago, but they moved out soon after. Squatters took over and managed to set it on fire.

May 4, 2017 @ 8:23 AM

Here's the audio of Lou Schizas and Mike Stafford talking about Toronto Mike'd.

May 4, 2017 @ 9:08 AM

Brandon

@Toronto Mike

Awesome audio clip! Great to see you get that shout-out. And when I visited Lou's website after his appearance, I had noticed that in your photo with him, Lou had lost some weight - never easy, congrats Lou. The big question is are his suspenders adjustable or does he have to go down to a smaller size of them? :)

May 4, 2017 @ 10:04 AM

mr d

I can't stand his smart-ass right wing jerk voice. Whenever I hear him come on the radio it's an electric impulse to turn the dial.

May 6, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

Scott Eric

He's entertaining and seems like a nice guy, I just can't agree with his view of the housing market. It's not the 1970s or 80s, there are people who are working very hard who cannot afford to buy a house and it shouldn't just be about protecting people who already own houses. He talks about how he was a "slave" to his parents when he was younger, but this market is ensuring people will be slaves to the banks and crippled with debt they can never pay off for generations. The market has failed us big time, but I do agree with him our government hasn't been good at getting much right either.

May 6, 2017 @ 5:16 PM

Thermos

Holy eff I do not like this guy at all and I still have 15 minutes to go. Admittedly, it was because I don't align with his views at all. I've never heard of him before this episode, but he seems to see everything as a business and cares solely about money.

May 9, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

Thermos

Oh! He just said it! "Well, everything's a business, Mike."

May 9, 2017 @ 6:17 PM

Rob J

Lou sounded like a 90 year-old when trying to fathom the 'technology' of podcasting...it's only been around for around 15 years. Let me guess: he's also a big fan of oil and buggy whips.

May 9, 2017 @ 8:00 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Love Lou, quite a character. I don't always agree with his business slant on things, but like his 7 things you should do before graduating. My professional association (OACETT) is always partnering with high school and college technology students, and run Tech Fairs etc.
My son was in high school in 2007 and was taking a unique course that FORD here in Oakville had with his High School called FAMS(Ford Academy of Manufacturing Sciences) the kids got mentoring from FORD engineering staff and some even got some co op time at the factory. Unfortunately the financial crash of 2008 put this on Hiatus, and my son got the last year out of this program. It cemented his thinking on going on to be an Engineer, a choice he may not have made without this program.

May 13, 2017 @ 5:27 PM

JR

Lou basically did his schtick and didn't want to wander too far into the inside gossipy stuff. Not being a fan of Kelly I can just imagine her haranguing Lou, but maybe I'm wrong. Miss him in the morning since I have zero interest in the new morning show.

Way too much time spent on getting advice from Lou, it's your show but that should be off-air. Fast forward sorry....otherwise you let the man talk which is what a good interviewer does.

May 23, 2017 @ 4:28 PM