Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 229: Chris Murphy from Sloan

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 229In this 229th episode, Mike chats with Chris Murphy about his 25 years with Sloan, his new Trans-Canada Highwaymen project and why he lied to us about the word "underwhelmed". This episode is exactly 1:30:42.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Chris Murphy and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

Awesome!! Can't wait to hear this!

April 6, 2017 @ 2:26 PM

I promise you won't be underwhelmed.

April 6, 2017 @ 2:29 PM

Beatts

Thanks for asking my question Mike!

Awesome. :)

April 6, 2017 @ 2:46 PM

Beatts

Apologies. I posted the question wrong on Twitter "motor city maniacs"

If you ever had Ted Nugent on, ask him how he got the nickname "Money city madman"

Thanks ;)

April 6, 2017 @ 2:56 PM

GDB

I am looking forward to this one!

April 6, 2017 @ 2:57 PM

Aldo

You guys sounds like lifelong buds.

April 6, 2017 @ 3:49 PM

Aldo

Which made for a great episode. Very revealing... must listen for any Sloan fan.

April 6, 2017 @ 4:55 PM

Ryan G

I'm an east sider, and I've had a hunch for years there was something fishy about you west siders. The proof is in the pudding. Look how all the text and logo in that photo is backwards. You Etobicoke dwellers are in some bizarro land just like the secret negative levels in the original Mario game.

April 6, 2017 @ 5:06 PM

@Ryan G

I do find it strange that the default setting on this new phone is for selfies to be mirror imaged. I just changed it!

April 6, 2017 @ 5:48 PM

Peter

Any guest that you talk to for 90min+ are my favorites. Wasn't necessarily a sloan fan growing up (I'm a few years younger than you Mike!) but I think after listening to this one I want to check their back catalogue

April 7, 2017 @ 11:26 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I really enjoyed this one Mike! Thanks for asking my question. I definitely identify with Chris as more of a showman than an artist. I totally get the give-and-take that goes on with a band like Sloan about whether they should be playing new stuff or just the hits...I generally side with giving the people what they pay for.

I'm not saying there can't be artistic merit after a certain age...it would just not identify with as big an audience. In the case of the Rolling Stones, even thought they have so much life experience, what would they write about that would appeal to the young masses? Meanwhile, the old masses are too busy listening to the music of their youth to care about new material.

That's why I loved the One Chord To Another 20th anniversary show. They played the album as it is...same songs...same order, so it felt like listening to the record, only it was live...and AWESOME! The second half of the show, they played a good mix of other hits from their other albums. I knew every song from beginning to end and got way more than money's worth (which was a measly $25 BTW).

Navy Blues is my favourite of their albums, so I hope they give it the same treatment.

April 7, 2017 @ 3:10 PM

markosaar

I grew up with Sloan on the radio ... but Smeared was totally my favourite album at that time. It took a while for me to mature and appreciate Twice Removed and One Chord to Another. Navy Blues was more popular it seemed and I started to lose interest...

I got reacquainted once again when they played a set at the AGO of all places, a few years ago. I recognised so few songs, and realised they've had a damn fine career since. I'm still catching up.

April 10, 2017 @ 2:03 PM

DSven

Mike, fantastic interview - as both a long-term listener of Toronto Mike'd AND of Sloan, this was a real treat for me. Fascinating to hear his perspective on the value of new music vs. celebrating the "big hits"....Chris, if you're reading, I loved the last 2 albums, particularly "the Double Cross" and think your music is still as fresh and vital as ever...looking forward to new material from you guys, whenever it may come.

April 10, 2017 @ 9:02 PM

Freedom 55

Great interview. I was surprised to hear that they "settled" after the Geffen thing. What I mean by that is that Chris knew they weren't going make it big but decided to continue as a band. I always wondered whether you can make a good living as a musician in a successful Canadian rock band. Sounds like Chris is doing fine but makes you wonder about all those other Canadian bands out there.

April 10, 2017 @ 9:17 PM

Nebojša

Excellent interview.

Thoughtful and honest dude, Chris is.

Loved the crickets from Chris when Mike first brought up the thesis about a lot of the Canadian hate for Nickelback being down to the band's legitimate commercial & financial success outside the country. It's as if Chris' silence was saying: "Please don't make make me give implicit sympathy to effin' Nickelback".

April 26, 2017 @ 6:52 PM

Nebojša

With the knowledge (obtained by listening to the Elvis episode) of how the conversation with Chris Murphy came about ---- PR company promoting The Trans Canada Highwaymen project contacted Toronto Mike, asking him if could write a thing or two about it on the blog to which he responded by asking for (and getting) Chris Murphy ---- Chris gets even more props in my book.

Considering the above, he could've easily been a shit guest, just going through the motions and steering the conversation to the current project.

April 27, 2017 @ 5:52 PM