Toronto Star Podcasting Article

Yesterday afternoon, the Toronto Star published an article entitled Canadian sports media hears the call of the podcast. It's written by Raju Mudhar, a journalist I had a brief phone conversation with a few weeks ago.

The article is about the plethora of mainstream sports media podcasts being launched in this country, featuring such luminaries as Bob McKenzie, James Duthie, and Bob Cole. Oh, and he mentions another podcast as well...

Raju actually refers to Toronto Mike'd as "the platonic ideal of podcasts". That's a tremendous quote, worthy of a tee shirt. At the very least it should be my new tagline.

Then he jokes: “Although now that guys like James Duthie are getting into it, I have no idea how we little guys are supposed to compete.”

I did say that as a joke, but it's not really a joke. As famous people like McKenzie, Jay and Dan and Duthie turn to podcasting, it's the independent home grown podcasts that suffer. That's just the way it is... unless you're the platonic ideal of podcasts.

Rob j

Is yours the only podcast not sponsored by 'Casper Mattress'?

March 15, 2017 @ 3:29 PM

@Rob j

Now that I've heard the Casper Mattress ad on Talkin' Simpsons, it's safe to say that is correct.

March 15, 2017 @ 3:31 PM

Rob J

Your mention of Talkin' Simpsons, which got me hooked on it, will make me always like you.

March 15, 2017 @ 3:32 PM

@Rob J

That warms the sub-cockle area of my heart.

March 15, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

Rob j

Haha...I'm loving them rehash season 5 as much as I dug the episodes back in '93

March 15, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Smartest Person Here

The move toward podcast is no different than the move toward blogging by journalists. It's a last gasp attempt to cling on to a dying industry. When the great journalistic purge began writers blogged in the hopes of staying relevant and in the public eye (which is fleeting). Same for these guys. If you notice almost none of them keep up blogging or podcasting once they get a "real job".

The modern media career requires someone to be multi-faceted to survive and flourish. Look at the skill set of Raina Douris on CBC. She's a radio host with a morning show, videographer, Adobe wizard, writes, acts, etc. Most guys podcast and dump the concept when they get a regular job. Just like most journalists stop blogging when someone gives them a full time job.

I don't think you have much to worry about. You're from from professional with voice, breathing, equipment, but you are committed. I'm long out of broadcasting and would never even "play" on the radio, but you should work on your presentation. You could actually build a professional podcast which would be beneficial to your career.

March 15, 2017 @ 4:45 PM

Rob J

I don't know if the above post was meant as constructive criticism or a passive-aggressive shot, but I hope TM ignores your "advice"

March 15, 2017 @ 6:24 PM

markosaar

From following TM a while, it seems pretty clear this is 'just' a hobby and far removed from his actual career. And I agree with Rob J, it's appealing exactly the way it is.

(Though FULL DISCLOSURE I too stopped caring about the Rohmer stuff a long time ago ... however I have this magical ability to tune out or skip over stuff that doesn't appeal to me personally. Sidenote ... I typed her name into Google to make sure I was spelling it correctly, and the second option was "Ann Rohmer back")

March 15, 2017 @ 6:37 PM

Rick C in Oakville

My Patreon investment is being off. Just busting your chops Mike. I think what draws me to your podcast is that you are a regular guy following passion, just like my Mustang car hobby friends who take their cars to the drag strip and live out the moment. They would never get to a professional level but they get pretty darn good at it.

March 15, 2017 @ 7:26 PM

Freedom 55

TM podcast is a labour of love and is very appealing to his audience and comes across as genuine. These newbies are joining the party for the wrong reasons and will jump ship before you know it. Glad to see that TM's quote did not include an Ann Rohmer retirement reference.

March 15, 2017 @ 9:16 PM

Smartest Person Here

@RobJ

It was meant as a positive post. The moderator sticks to his podcast and stays focused. Many of the other broadcasters use a podcast as an "in-between" thing until they return to their "real job". I hope that clears things up.

March 15, 2017 @ 10:14 PM

Rob J

Fair enough, SPH.

March 16, 2017 @ 1:25 AM

Patrick

Just because the more "famous" of media people are moving into the podcast arena doesn't mean the end for the smaller/non-celeb podcaster. Said big names still work for and must answer to their corporate overlords and like their current places of employment will only be able to welcome guests from a certain/specific list of properties that fall under the umbrella of said corporation.

The independent podcasters will still be free to get any and all guests they would like (without being told who they can and cannot talk to) and still be able to ask the "tough" questions that some of the bigger names may not be willing or able to ask of their guests.

March 16, 2017 @ 7:58 AM

Beatts

I only listen to your podcast and Jeff Woods.

Just because someone is famous doesn't mean they'll get my ear. I like yours because I enjoy the discussion and you're not a egomaniac dick.

You and Jeff both share a similar sense of passion for your topic of interest and it shows through your programs.

I wouldn't worry about getting lost in the shuffle of new podcasts.

March 16, 2017 @ 10:28 AM

Daniel

The only podcasts I follow are ones that don't appear to be schilling for their corporate overloards. Ones with independent thought. If I want to listen to corporate propaganda I'll find out wherever John Shannon is and listen to him

Toronto Mike
PTS (But Bob's losing it)
PTI
Ongoing History of new Music
Media Podacst w/ Deitch

March 16, 2017 @ 11:26 AM

Justin

The only time I ever listen to radio now is when I first wake up in the morning (or if I'm listening to a terrestrial radio show via podcast). If I'm travelling anywhere or doing work around the house, it's podcasts. Mostly MSM sports ones like Bill Simmons, Zach Lowe, Richard Deitch, Jonah Keri, PTI, Undisputed.

As far as independent ones go, it's this one and the weekly Blue and White Tonight podcast. It's pure Leafs talk, there's no over-reliance on stats or analytics, and it's just three knowledgeable guys talking about the last week in leaf land. Highly recommend for Leafs fans.

March 16, 2017 @ 1:35 PM

Patrick

Daniel - Is there much difference between the PTI that's shown on TSN and the podcast they do?

March 16, 2017 @ 2:56 PM

Gary M

I like TM exactly the way it is and I'm very much into the perpetual Ann Rohmer investigation.

I don't think the 'famous people' parachuting into this medium will make much of an impact. But it is ironic that a podcast about old media people is so wary of old media people.

March 17, 2017 @ 12:21 AM

Daniel

@Patrick

No difference at all, just no commercials. I actually perfer PTI without the video

March 17, 2017 @ 9:37 AM

stephen

I haven't listened to the McKenzie podcast, yet.
Not sure if I ever will.
I like McKenzie on the radio and his short bits on TV.
On those rare occasions where he's on for extended periods, he's a channel changer.
It's like when he was back writing for HN, rambles on for the sake of rambling on.....

I'll give Duthie a listen, because he can be entertaining, engaging,...

I'll continue to listen to TorMike, because he also is entertaining and engaging.
It's the guest on TM that get's me to tune in or take a pass.
...and if it ever happens, I'll definitely take a pass on the Rohmer podcast.

.... agree with Justin on B & W podcast. Simmons, Deitch & Keri as well

March 17, 2017 @ 5:59 PM

Steve

"it's the independent home grown podcasts that suffer"

How do you figure this exactly? If the content is good enough, people will listen.

Canadaland is one of the top podcasts in Canada constantly. Pardon My Take is a sports podcast that is killing everything else put out by ESPN, Fox, etc.

March 17, 2017 @ 10:12 PM