Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 224: 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 224In this 224th episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott of 12:36 about the current state of the media in Canada. This episode is exactly 1:47:08.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

@1236

correction, if anyone cares: I said it was Bailey's Irish Cream using Snapchat on St. Patrick's Day, it's actually Jameson

March 13, 2017 @ 9:52 PM

Andy in Minnesota

I actually don't mind the Ann Romer talk. It's nice to have an inside...Ann's too dignified to be called an inside joke, maybe a reference? Anywho, I can't wait for Ann's episode on her career, Michael Jordanesque retirements, and many Keg visits.

March 13, 2017 @ 10:32 PM

Freedom 55

Roll Call!
Ann Rohmer retirement reference...present!

March 14, 2017 @ 8:20 AM

@Freedom 55

No acknowledgement that the Barry Davis episode was 100% Rohmer free?

March 14, 2017 @ 10:27 AM

Freedom 55

@Toronto Mike
Haven't had a chance to listen to that podcast yet. Thanks for the spoiler alert.

March 14, 2017 @ 10:37 AM

I promise to keep episode 225 with Carly Agro Rohmer-free as well.

March 14, 2017 @ 10:38 AM

markosaar

Looking forward to this ... always enjoy his takes.

But I'm going to be forever curious as to what his reddit account is!

March 14, 2017 @ 2:48 PM

Christian

Have you ever found out what the "alternate position" that Rogers offered to Jennifer Valentyne ?

March 14, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Urooj Islam

Holy crap, @BrandsSayingBae is a fantastic Twitter feed even though it hasn't been updated in about a year.

March 14, 2017 @ 8:05 PM

@1236

See, the trend did die! Oreo did reactivate a bit post-Super Bowl with Shaq https://twitter.com/oreo

March 14, 2017 @ 8:30 PM

Nick

I love listening to the Weisblott episodes... he's got such a unique delivery and perspective.... another thoroughly enjoyable podcast.

One question though - with every other podcast you have a picture of you with the guest... but never with Marc... camera shy?

March 14, 2017 @ 9:07 PM

@1236

There was a pic last time!

March 14, 2017 @ 9:13 PM

Urooj Islam

@1236

True.

It feels like the only thing keeping it on life support are notable celebrity deaths, seems like the last couple of lame brand related Twitter flurries came after Prince and David Bowie passed away.

Anyway, great episode, dude!

March 14, 2017 @ 9:44 PM

Thermos

I have to admit that my only exposure to Marc Weisblott is through this podcast, so I'm not entire sure what he does beyond it. That being said, it confused me when he said, in a derisory tone, "My life isn't happening if I don't have my phone in my hand. I can't express myself. I can't tell people what's wrong with the world...I can't vent about everything that I see not going to the standard that I want it to go in. And there's so much of that, we're inundated with that all the time..."

I'm sincerely confused: is that not what Marc is doing? Did I misinterpret his statement or what he does?

Also, to me, the Ann Rohmer thing is like the Family Guy joke where Peter falls while running home and sits on the curb going, "aahhh!" over and over. At first, it's funny, but then it goes on too long and it's not funny anymore. Then it goes on even longer and it's funnier than it was in the first place.

March 14, 2017 @ 10:59 PM

@1236

yep, on social media through most of each weekday to put the journalism together — but I'm in it for the information and observation, not rushing in with a hot take on everything! and wish that Twitter was used more in this way with people focused on sharing unique things that they learn ... or at least try to not be so predictable with their opinions ...

someday Ann Rohmer will visit the Toronto Mike basement and there'll be nothing left to say (except maybe reflecting on how her appearance went)

March 14, 2017 @ 11:08 PM

Thermos

Thanks for clearing that up. That must be a fine line to walk. I think the confusion was the tone that it was delivered in; the take sounded at least warm :)

March 14, 2017 @ 11:42 PM

markosaar

@1236,

I don't suppose there's a newsletter archive somewhere that can be viewed through RSS? I just don't use email much.

Re: podcast, when you guys brought up Moe Berg I thought you were going to talk about The TransCanada Highwaymen tour!

I just listened to the TPOH singles collection yesterday because for some reason the later few albums aren't on Spotify. Reminded me though The Wonderful World of the Pursuit of Happiness is damn underrated, though I have to admit it took some time to grow on me.

March 15, 2017 @ 8:53 AM

@1236

12:36 is indeed coming soon in website form — the strategy till now was exclusively email (and it's not so painful to get it?) will keep you posted

March 15, 2017 @ 9:09 AM

@1236

(p.s. getting it ON TIME will still require sign up)

March 15, 2017 @ 9:12 AM

@Christian

It was a role on The Shopping Channel.

March 15, 2017 @ 9:12 AM

Brandon

Aww yeah! Always up for episodes with "The Weis" - solid survey/digest of recent media happenings and comings/goings, and the daily "1236" is a fun read.

As for the Rohmer motif continuing (and the doubtless particular retailer gift cards given at multi-retirements :) ), I have no problem with it. At this point it's a "signature" go-to - as we inch closer, hopefully, to Rohmer herself appearing.

March 15, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

Jamal

I cannot recall if it was affiliated with Rogers or called something else, but the Netflix DVD model existed in Canada - I was a member.

Basically, for the technically savvy, you would try to get the DVDs and burn them that same day, then ship them back to get more from your list. I did that. At my peak I would get something like 15 DVDs and I would burn them to a DVDRW. Good times.

March 16, 2017 @ 11:29 AM

Rob J

Entertaining and informative...4.5 retirement cakes out of 5. (I deducted half a cake for TM giving voice to those who care if a random sideline reporter jumped or was pushed)

March 16, 2017 @ 3:48 PM

Tobias Vaughn

HMV. Near Yonge-Dundas opened in 1990, A&A's didn't close until 1993. Mike is right about them co-existing for years.

March 17, 2017 @ 12:24 PM

@1236

HMV Y-D actually opened May 1991; A&A declared bankruptcy that year but stuck around malls for a couple more — can't find the exact date the flagship closed! (with a whimper, certainly) there is evidence that it survived that year at least since the Scarborough A&A is in the Barenaked Ladies "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" video

March 17, 2017 @ 12:59 PM

Tobias Vaughn

You're right Marc, HMV did open in 1991. I was at the store on what I think was opening day, Chris Isaak was performing live. A&A declared bankruptcy in 1991 and 1993. It was the second time that was fatal and I'm pretty sure the Yonge store was around into 1993 so they'd have still been concurrent for about two years.

March 17, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

@Tobias Vaughn

I remember this!

It felt like a couple of years of my core CD buying high school years!

March 17, 2017 @ 3:50 PM

@1236

combination of research, conjecture and rapidly failing memory leads me to conclude that, yes, A&A was there still but was ravaged enough after bankruptcy that it was no longer a reliable merchant of new albums

(just trying to justify my claim!)

March 17, 2017 @ 4:13 PM