Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 223: Barry Davis

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 223In this 223rd episode, Mike chats with Barry Davis about his years at The Fan, his time at Sportsnet covering the Blue Jays, why he's no longer there and his Tom Petty tribute band, We Ain't Petty. This episode is exactly 56:28.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Barry Davis and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Matt

We like our podcasts Barry

March 9, 2017 @ 2:45 PM

Al The Royal Pain

@Matt
LOL!

@Mike
I'm looking forward to listening to this one...but I notice you guys didn't even talk for an hour...that doesn't seem to be nearly long enough. I hope this isn't another one of those where the guest is a bad interview.

March 9, 2017 @ 3:53 PM

Barry had another engagement to get to, so I promised him we'd only record for an hour.

It's not rushed though, and he's pretty great.

March 9, 2017 @ 3:55 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I'm glad to hear. Hopefully I'll get around to listening to it this weekend.

March 9, 2017 @ 3:59 PM

Rob J

Sorry, TM, I'll be sitting this one out.

March 9, 2017 @ 4:28 PM

Anonnyman

@Rob J

Why comment that you're not going to listen?

Why not.... I dunno... just not listen.

March 9, 2017 @ 6:44 PM

Handsome Rob

I'm not going to listen either!

Robs of the world unite!!!!

March 9, 2017 @ 6:48 PM

Rob J

@Anonnyman: Why comment on my choice not to listen?
@Handsome Rob: high five!

March 9, 2017 @ 7:09 PM

Rob J

@Anonnyman
Still commenting on the TSM board?

March 9, 2017 @ 7:18 PM

For the record, everyone should listen to this episode.

March 9, 2017 @ 7:20 PM

Rob J

Fine, I will. Sorry to "Anonnyman" (haha) for posting my intention to do so.

March 9, 2017 @ 7:29 PM

Rob J

An episode that references Ed Belfour and Vin Scully is ok with me.

(I wasn't aware of the Biagini song, the batting cage appearance while I'm sure the players were trying to hit, nor the Ed Vedder picture request. I wonder if that all seemed unprofessional in the eyes of his bosses, hence his dismissal).

March 9, 2017 @ 11:06 PM

Rob J

(Although yes, the batting cage experience was at a fantasy camp and likely not an impediment to the players)

March 9, 2017 @ 11:12 PM

Urooj Islam

Fun listen.

Barry is right, the "Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down a Dream" documentary is fantastic. It's cool that it influenced him as much as it did.

Although, I hope he finds a gig in the sports media again if he wants. There's something oddly relatable about him and his career trajectory, seems like he just kind of stumbled into sports media and kept working really hard at whatever beat he could work.

March 9, 2017 @ 11:43 PM

I'm sorry, if if it's after game seven with the Cubs winning for the first time in over a century and you see Ed Vedder sitting in the dugout I think you have to say hi. That's a once-in-a-lifetimer right there.

March 10, 2017 @ 8:11 AM

Brian

Great chat. So comfy and relaxed, but full of good info. And good on you for roughing him up! :D

March 10, 2017 @ 11:12 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I knew I'd enjoy this one. I was shocked when I heard Barry was no longer going to be a Blue Jays reporter. I hope lands somewhere else. He was good at his job.

March 10, 2017 @ 2:28 PM

Scott Eric

The Tom Petty documentary is amazing! Can't believe I had never seen it on Netflix before hearing about it from this podcast. He had so many good songs, and they're timeless as he didn't record in a style specific to any decade really- and I say this as someone born in the late 80s who missed it all!

March 10, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

@Scott Eric

I'm going to watch it.

March 10, 2017 @ 3:38 PM

Rob J

Petty also had a huge influence on the rock goddess, Stevie Nicks, especially after her recovery from klonopin addiction. And obviously their duet, 'Stop Dragging My Heart Around', was an early 80s staple.

March 10, 2017 @ 3:44 PM

JR

I always thought of Barry as the hardest working man in sportsbiz. Whatever happened at Rogers is unfortunate, because he did an outstanding job at the Blue Jays games. A broadcaster who paid his dues, hopefully good things in his future.

Good stories about the Gardens and yes the end blues were a little tricky for the uninitiated. Palmateer was a matinee idol with the Marlboros, he was in net for them at the first hockey game I ever saw at MLG, so I can relate to Barry's fandom.

March 10, 2017 @ 4:42 PM

the brother

Would love to know if Hazel's fat contract pushed Barry out the bleachers since it came with one for Barker too. Any plans to have either of them on!?

March 12, 2017 @ 8:49 AM

@the brother

Both Hazel and Barker dropped by last year: http://www.torontomike.com/2016/02/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_161.html

Hazel did all the talking, though.

March 12, 2017 @ 10:06 AM

the brother

So who did they add the broadcast team? Schulman? Is that who got Barry bounced?? We need more rumor and speculation lol

March 12, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

@the brother

In a nutshell, Hazel takes over... and because she can't do all 162 games, Arash Madani will take some.

March 12, 2017 @ 12:21 PM

GDB

I don't know what is happening in media. The ones that I find most annoying are being kept on and the ones that I find the most interesting or just plain better are all being fired. The only conclusion I can come up with is that I am in the minority and most people like those that I find annoying.

March 14, 2017 @ 8:59 AM

Army

I don't listen to many podcasts, but enjoyed this one being a Blue Jay fan.
I enjoy Hazel, but her lesser half, Barker, is unwatchable and unbearable to listen to. (Apologies for ending a sentence with a preposition.) :) Obviously he is there because of Hazel. Barry is so much better than Mr. Hazel!

March 14, 2017 @ 8:19 PM

Gary M

I remember Barry well from the early days of The Fan. He's a great guy, and my recollection is he quietly had a great talent for dissolving into an improvised comedic character.

March 14, 2017 @ 9:12 PM

Kyle

I thought it was pretty obvious why Barry Davis was pushed out of the role. Hazel Mae was brought in for the big 6pm Sportsnet Central show and once Tim & Sid came to TV there was no real need for another show that was going to be used to set up the nights events. Mae has been underutilized since Tim & Sid moved to TV and I am sure her contract is quite large. I couldn't imagine doing almost all of the 162 game schedule, especially when she has to fly on her own and not with the team, unlike the radio and tv broadcasters. The best of both worlds is having 1 reporter that does the 81 home games and another that does only the road games.

Also, IMHO Barry Davis got too close to the players and because Rogers needs to distance themselves from the team, it was a good idea to have Barry fill another role at SN.

March 16, 2017 @ 4:36 PM