Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Cheryl

I'm first today, goody. Anyway, my Coyotes won last night. That was great that they won. My Habs play tomorrow afternoon. Winnipeg at my Habs. They will be out of their slump. Warm weather makes me think of baseball. First Monday in April when I have my Orioles and then later on my Indians.

February 17, 2017 @ 8:27 AM

The Voice of Reason

First I am neither a fan of Trump or Trudeau, but when the Canadian press seems to gravitate to a handshake as the weeks top events, we know that they are trying to conceal Trudeau's terrible first 15 months. Had I had been Trump I would avoid have Trudeau's hug too. He has broken so many of his key election promises and focused on travelling all over the place, squandering money in other countries, creating debt, introducing a new tax, and the continuous selfie clown genre. Trump is coming trough with his promises making America great and safe. I'm sure Trump can recognize a phony from a thousand miles. It's all just an act from the former fill in drama teacher. He will repatriate the auto industry, just watch and Trudeau will look like a deer in the headlights.

February 17, 2017 @ 8:53 AM

mrmojorisinca

Happy Friday everyone :)

and just a thought, I don't see much reasoning in your voice there

February 17, 2017 @ 9:05 AM

"The Voice of Reason" is a misnomer, like when you call a skinny guy "Fats".

February 17, 2017 @ 9:23 AM

Lyle Lanley

It's warming up this weekend. Can't wait.

February 17, 2017 @ 9:45 AM

GUNTer

the 'Voice of Reason' is just trolling us right???! hahahahah good one.

February 17, 2017 @ 9:47 AM

Andy in Minnesota

60 Fahrenheit all weekend in the neighboring state. I feel like we'll be paying for it later, but I don't want to jinx it.

February 17, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

Last night, at about 7:30pm, my son said to me "I need to ball". Basically, he said I had to take him on at the local school yard with some one-on-one basketball.

It was -15 with the wind chill, and the school yard was covered in ice, but we played for an hour. It got so heated we didn't even wear jackets and gloves.

He beat me, but I have no outside shot, so my strength is my speed and dribbling, and I couldn't take advantage with the ice everywhere. Tomorrow, when the ice is melted and it's 10 degrees, I'm getting my revenge.

February 17, 2017 @ 9:59 AM

Anonymous

"First I am neither a fan of Trump or Trudeau"

Yet.......

"Trump is coming trough with his promises making America great and safe."

That is a clear sign you are a fan of Trump. Anyone with true "reason" would see that Trump is not leading the country well.

And even the most harsh critics didn't have anything bad to say about Trudeau's visit to the US.
And what hug are you referring to? Hate on Trudeau all you want (and you clearly do since you can't say his name without mentioning he was a teacher) but don't make stuff up to fit your skewed narrative.

Before you attack me for being a Trudeau fan....I am not a fan of a few of his policy choices, vacation choices and responses to some events. But he is not the threat to our country's fabric as you seem to allege.
But give Trump a pass for ties to Russia, blatant lies and bizarre press conferences.

Trump said the following:
The leaks are real. They are bad.
The media is bad for revealing the leaks that Trump has confirmed as true.
But reporting the leaks is fake news. Please tell me how that makes sense.

February 17, 2017 @ 10:30 AM

markosaar

Storytelling came up on the last two Toronto Mike'd episodes. Anyone listening to storytelling podcasts?

The Moth is a popular one. I've been going through Risk!, but it's definitely not for kids or the faint of heart. I do recommend it for sure.

February 17, 2017 @ 10:31 AM

markosaar

@anonymous,

Trump LOVED leaks when they were directed at Clinton's campaign.

February 17, 2017 @ 10:33 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@markosaar

The Moth is definitely my favourite Storytelling podcast. If you haven't already...and given this week's news...if you like storytelling you should give the Vinyl Cafe podcast a try.

February 17, 2017 @ 10:46 AM

If you enjoy Q107, you might want to listen to the two episodes of Toronto Mike'd I recorded last week. Maureen Holloway and Craig "Lobster Boy" Venn were both great.

Next week, there are two sports media episodes lined up. First Mike Richards on what the hell happened to him at TSN and what he's doing next, and then Greg Brady on what the hell happened to him at The Fan and how he got his groove back.

February 17, 2017 @ 10:50 AM

The Voice of Reason

It seems the person gets confused with the message. I am not a fan of Trump, however some of his policies are great for his country. Barack Obama also had some good traits (see Caterpillar London relocating to Indiana. Oddly even Trudeau has endorsed Keystone (only a week later stating that the tar sands need to be "phased out".
My question to the board is "do you accept the level of government in Ontario and Canada? and if so why?" Trump may not be the leader I would choose, but the message and delivering of keeping jobs in the country is something that we are missing in Canada.

February 17, 2017 @ 10:51 AM

j

That story about your son saying he wants to ball - so awesome. i want to hear the end result when there is no ice on the court for sure.

i am looking forward to the All Star game - for the fun, my friends, and all the fine basketball players :D then back to it with Ibaka in the mix. Whoo Hoo!

Happy long weeekend gang!

February 17, 2017 @ 11:02 AM

I for one think j is a nice addition to the gang.

February 17, 2017 @ 11:03 AM

Douglas

This morning had a real surprise for me. I actually managed to get tickets to the upcoming Midnight Oil "Great Circle Tour" show at the Danforth Music Hall. We've all heard and read about, if not personally experienced, tickets all going to "bots" and not being available on ServiceChargeMaster, only to see them minutes later on secondary exchanges at "different" prices.

The last time I saw the Oils was at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1988. I had second row floors for that one, A head shake from (bald) lead singer Peter Garrett meant I got splashed with some of his sweat. I doubt that will happen this time. Not that he won't be sweating all over the stage, more like I doubt I'll be up front.

February 17, 2017 @ 11:08 AM

@Douglas

Nice!

I just picked up two tickets for Chance the Rapper because my daughter really wanted to go.

February 17, 2017 @ 11:16 AM

McNulty

July 14th.

You have 5 months to convince Ricky Gervais to appear on your podcast. You can do it, Mike!

February 17, 2017 @ 11:23 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@ VOR,

"We in a leftist leaning country have accepted failure after failure to the point where we pay the highest electricity rates on the continent. In any other business, the leaders of Hydro One would have been fired numerous times over. We have a Premier who has no answers other than spending more of our dollars."

Am I missing something here or are you blaming Ontario Hydro rates on Trudeau and Wynn?

February 17, 2017 @ 11:42 AM

@McNulty

Now that would be something...

February 17, 2017 @ 11:42 AM

mrmojorisinca

I tried for tickets to the ROCK and ROLL hall of fame ..Zero Luck..
but I did get 4 tickets to u2 :)

February 17, 2017 @ 11:53 AM

The Voice of Reason

Mcnulty, Hydro One is a crown corporation, you can decide for yourself.

Sorry Mike, no more political discussion this week.

Not a basketball fan at all, but the Charles Oakley situation is quite comical. When Guy Lafleur was slamming the Montreal Canadiens for not icing a competitive team a few years ago, he was still welcome to the Bell Centre. It seems freedom of speech stops once someone disagrees with an opinion. (sorry that sounded political)

February 17, 2017 @ 12:04 PM

McNulty

@ VOR

I think you have mistaken me for someone else.

But you can blame the Ontario Government on hydro rates in Ontario but not Trudeau.

February 17, 2017 @ 12:21 PM

James Edgar

So an update to my Sisters fire situation. first the good. My Nephew has found them a rental home to live in while the house is rebuilt. the items we found and packed up have been taken by a salvage company for cleaning ( something we thought they would be doing themselves , family trait that we always think we need to do EVERYTHING that hard way) . The Dogs are back with them at the rental and they have a new bed.

So far so good.

Bad news is that my nephew and my brother in law (Dave) had a bit of a disagreement and my Nephew went home. I thought he wasn't going back but,he is thank F*&K . Their relationship has been crap for about .. Sean is 48 and 48- 3 =45 so yes about 45 years or since Sean learned to think and talk.
Dave said he'd call the cops if Sean came back but Sean figures they won't be too harsh on him for calling Dave a fucking Ass-hole which seems to be Dave's big complaint. I think the real reason Dave got upset is that Sean has been making him be smart about the insurance money and that contradicts Dave's desire to do whatever the fuck he wants no matter the consequences.

The disagreement upset my sister to no end and she had a bad night but she's a little better having talked to My sisters, Me and my Wife.

I REALLY hope that the drama goes away soon. I've not having a great day so far.

February 17, 2017 @ 12:23 PM

Anonymous

Nice to see a variety of topics on here again today.Recently "Open Mike " has turned into Cheryl's daily diary.

February 17, 2017 @ 12:43 PM

Sid_V

Metrolinx wants to move to distance-based fares for the TTC and other transit systems. I am all in favour of that (seen it work in Sydney, Paris, Vancouver and elsewhere). But... how in the sweet hell does Metrolinx think they can manage rolling out a system like that, when they can't even figure out how to get ticket dispensers and readers working properly? SMH

February 17, 2017 @ 2:02 PM

Sid_V

Oh, and am I the only one that believes the Voice of Reason = Freddie P? Both are unhealthily obsessed with Justin Trudeau, and for some reason actually take Trump seriously instead of for the spray-tanned buffoon he clearly is.

February 17, 2017 @ 2:05 PM

@Sid_V

Although I do not know who The Voice of Reason is, I know it's not Freddie P. They just share a hatred for Trudeau and Wynne and a bizarre fondness for Trump.

February 17, 2017 @ 2:13 PM

Daniel

@Sid_V

While I get economically how distance based fares are reasonable, I think for a system like the TTC which has so many stops, its impossible to enforce

February 17, 2017 @ 2:45 PM

Rob J

For the Gervais fans out there, youtube has dozens of vintage episodes of his old XFM radio show he did with Steve Merchant and the bald-headed Karl Pilkington. Also, all of the podcasts they did are there as well as best-of episodes. It's all I listen to now!

February 17, 2017 @ 2:57 PM

H.o.E.

I can't wait for April to hear Mike Richards (and all his characters) finally getting back to some form of public availability. Who else would get phone calls from fake Jerry Jones and Peyton Manning? It really seems like sports talk radio people (and some of their few remaining listeners) in this city are mostly humourless drones with big sticks up their butts, offended at the thought of anything about sports being mocked like it should be. And btw, what else are you going to do in the morning when you can't get many interviews? Apparently not much that's entertaining and worth listening to. When Bob McCown retires, there will be nothing left on AM/FM radio that I listen to, except maybe a brief newscast once or twice a day.
Mike has already said he will doing a Mon.-Fri. show with others (not by himself) and have 3 studios? I hope he's got sponsors lined up to keep it going for the foreseeable future.

February 17, 2017 @ 5:43 PM

@H.o.E.

You do not want to miss episode 219 of Toronto Mike'd. My guest is Mike Richards and he'll be telling all.

February 17, 2017 @ 6:20 PM

Cheryl

Well, nothing exciting happened in sports last night, but my Habs play this afternoon and my Coyotes play tonight. Yes, warm weather is on the way. Baseball actually starts on April 2 when my Diamondbacks play their opener. My Orioles and Indians play on April 3. Nothing new on the job front. Well, I'm getting by okay, but nothing is new. It's up to them whether they want to make things accessible.

February 18, 2017 @ 5:43 AM

Nick

Hey Mike, when are you going to get Mike Bullard on your podcast? That would be a good one....

February 18, 2017 @ 7:58 AM

JJ

Hey Mike, any inside info on what happened to Dean Blundell. Fan590 cancelled his show for a new lineup starting Feb. 27 with Greg Brady, Hugh Burrill & some other guy. Oh, the every twisting string called the broadcasting industry.

The baseball season is soon approaching & Blundell & crew were always making fun of the Jays new acquisitions. U think this may be part of the reason?

February 18, 2017 @ 1:26 PM

markosaar

@Al The Royal Pain,

Yeah I know Vinyl Cafe. I'll give Moth a try eventually. Still 60 episodes of Risk! to get through, and I have Hardcore History going as well. Ever tried Risk! there's some cross-overs with Moth.

February 18, 2017 @ 8:58 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I am amazed there aren't more pedestrian fatally in the Toronto core.
Dropped my wife and daughter of on King to see Cabaret, and turning from Spadina to King West was an unbelievable ordeal. Must have taken 3 lights for the guy in front of me to make his right turn solely because the pedestrians jumping the signal, or crossing when there is about 2 seconds left on the clock.
Driving in the city isn't for me.

February 18, 2017 @ 11:48 PM

cheryl

Well, hockey was no good yesterday. My Habs lost and my Coyotes lost. Two bad games. that sucked. Anyway, my Habs have to come out of their slump. I know they do. anyway, so my Habs hire Claude Julian back and he loses his first game with them. They had him before. Anyway, my Habs better turn it around because they should be winning. It's their year to win the cup.

February 19, 2017 @ 6:22 AM

j

@James Edgar: thank you for the update. I can only imagine how stressful it all is, but sending good vibes to you all still. I am glad your nephew is making his dad be smart about the $$$ - because then I am sure your bro in law will have even more complaints after he tries to do whatever the eff he wants with it. Have to be responsible with the $ so they can resettle themselves properly.

In general - I am new to basketball and this is the first time I have paid attention to the AllStar weekend - I did watch Friday and Saturday, and it's been fun. I really just love spending time with my friend and her son - hope my other friends come today too! Also I have some wings to cook up, hope they pass the test haha. I hope you do a Chance the Rapper concert post - he is on John Legend's new album and their song is my favourite - called Penthouse Floor. (Or post it in the comments the Friday after lol)

February 19, 2017 @ 10:30 AM

GUNTer

was down at the ACC for a skate with leafs alumni event. we arrived way too early and were walking around killing some time and who do we run into walking along by himself with a coffee - Doug Gilmour. I fangirled all over him and he was very gracious and took a pic with me and my niece. It was sooooo awesome.
Not as many people as I thought at the event - since we were so early we just wandered around - we were sitting on the leafs bench for 1/2 hour taking pictures but security finally came by and nicely asked us to leave that area.
It was more exciting for me than my little niece who expected the likes of Marner to be there, not Doug Gilmour and Johnny Bower and Jeff O'Neill.
Great day.

February 19, 2017 @ 1:04 PM

stephen

Very much doubt Mike RIchards will, "tell all".
He is really about to take a scorched earth approach in explaining his take on why his employer fired him?

He works in an industry where he's hired to be fired.

The dwindling number of radio station owners certainly narrows down his future employment prospects; and given the frequency that talking heads get re-cycled in Toronto, why would he risk throwing anyone under the bus?

His shtick sucked, he didn't get ratings, no one was listening to him. Fired! Pretty simple.

Is he actually going to try and re-invent himself on you-tube, or will he continue to roll out the same dull, boring bits that didn't attract listeners to 1050?

I listened to his show for 3 months when he first landed from Calgary, same shit, different day; he wasn't entertaining, he wasn't informative. Every now and then I'd go back, listen, a week here, a week there, same stuff, it was a waste of my time.

In the mornings, I'm listening to Mike & Mike, informative & entertaining, also, not hockey centric, loads of variety, good discussion.

Dan Patrick is another show I listen to regularly. Covers a lot of ground, good discussion, variety of guests, AND, it's a show where the guests actually get to talk. DP isn't a guy that has to dominate the interview.

Here's another point, wherever I go in the GTA, I can always find someone to converse with about both Mike & Mike, and the DP Show.

Shameful that that so many GTA residents tune in to out-of-market nationally syndicated morning radio shows. Speaks greatly to the lack of talent, vision, and creativity of Toronto radio.

February 19, 2017 @ 1:07 PM

stephen

March, April & May are great for sports in my house.
NHL teams enter that post all-star playoff push mentality.
MLB season starts up.
MLS season starts up.
Champions league is winding down; and Euro league games become more meaningful.
Youth hockey is DONE!
I get to enjoy the more "civilized" sports that my children play in.
I get to go golfing with my wife & kids.

February 19, 2017 @ 1:27 PM

@stephen

If you heard Mike Richards' first appearance on the podcast, you'll know the man does not hold back.... and that was when he was employed by Bell Media. http://www.torontomike.com/2016/01/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_156.html

February 19, 2017 @ 1:31 PM

Anonymous

Nope, no I didn't listen to his first podcast and I probably won't listen to his next one.
I did read the comments, don't recall that I missed anything, certainly nothing to prompt me to listen. Since I had no interest or desire to listen to him when he was "on-air", can rationalize why I should set aside any time to listen to him on a podcast.

Looking forward to Bob McKenzie's visit.
He went to RyHi with a friend of mine, met him a few times in the late 70's, both were obsessed by hockey. Another buddy coached one of his sons in hockey out in Whitby, says Bob was a good hockey parent 95% of the time. Some other "prominent" hockey dads, not so much.....
If you have a kid in hockey, boy or girl, his book, Hockey Dad, is well worth the time to read.

February 19, 2017 @ 1:58 PM

cheryl

Well, nothing really exciting in sports. My Habs or coyotes didn't play last night and all star games do nothing for me really. Anyway, I keep forgetting today is a holiday so I won't hear anything from work or anything. Oh well. Anyway, so who knows if I will get my job back or anything. I have no idea. It all depends if they decide to make the software accessible.

February 20, 2017 @ 5:50 AM

Cheryl

My Coyotes won last night. They squeaked it out. At least they won. Anyway, I don't think the ice is going to be good today for skating. It's been warm lately. Anyway, so it's weird weather, but I'll take it over snow. Well, don't know if I'll hear anything or not. I hope I do, but they are sure taking a long time to give me a straight answer about getting my job back or not.

February 21, 2017 @ 6:45 AM

Cheryl

My Habs won last night. That's good. They are back on track to winning the cup. They haven't won it in so long so it's cup time. Anyway, I heard a little bit from work. They have to consult. I was told I will probably hear by the end of the week. Who knows if it's a yes or a no. Maybe they'll refuse to pay to make it more accessible and it will be a no, who knows. People don't seem to care about the blind anymore, but that's just the way it is.

February 22, 2017 @ 7:36 AM

Cheryl

Nothing much happened in sports last night except my Nets traded one of their top players away to the Wizards, they traded Bogdan Bojanovic. Not good meaning my Nets will lose more. Oh well, my Cavs finally play tonight. Hopefully they win. Nothing about work yet. Maybe today I will hear something or tomorrow. They said by the end of the week, but who knows.

February 23, 2017 @ 7:12 AM