Jennifer Valentyne joins Derringer in the Morning on Q107

Jennifer Valentyne worked at City TV almost her entire working life until they let her go last April Fool's Day. Rogers Media's loss was Corus Entertainment's gain and she quickly caught on as host of The Bachelorette Canada’s live After Show on the W network. Throw in a few Global morning show appearances and she was a versatile cog in the Corus wheel.

She'll now be co-hosting Q107's Derringer in the Morning with John Derringer. This announcement, of course, came on Valentine's Day. That's either cute or corny, depending on your disposition.

What do you think of this addition to the Q morning show?

dale

Good upgrade for Q, BUT Derringer is stale as a 2 week loaf of bread & his time to move on.
No Wait 10 year contract for much $ until 2020. Won't happen.

Good Luck Jenny.

February 14, 2017 @ 7:47 PM

Morris Code

John is very intelligent but bored.
She isnt going to fit in.

February 14, 2017 @ 8:04 PM

Guy

I liked the show as it was. I have always found her annoying and not particularly bright so I can't say I like this move.

February 14, 2017 @ 9:48 PM

Hamish Grant

Here's hoping she can keep a lid on the caveman-like atmosphere that sometimes permeates the Derringer show.

February 15, 2017 @ 9:28 AM

Doug

I'm a regular listener to Derringer in the morning for years.

I used to enjoy when Maureen Holloway would come on the show. There was great chemistry between her and the rest of the group. Derringer in particular. Since Maureen moved on to her own show and now completely a new thing at 98.1 I believe, the show has lacked a bit.

It will also be interesting to see how the other 2 players (Ryan and John Garbut) make out in all of this. When Maureen was around, she only chimed in for a couple of minutes a few times during the show. Now with Ms. Valentyne there full time, it changes the whole dynamic of the show. Derringer has always been "alpha male" on the show and the other 2 have been "beta males", even "gamma males". But now you have Ms. Valentyne stealing a bit of thunder.

The other thing is, Derringer has never played well with others. Especially if they try to upstage him in any way. Craig Venn comes to mind. Craigie got tired of being the perennial beta male to Derringer and they ended up getting into it on air a few times (anyone else remember the boxing match between Craigie and Ryan (when Ryan was the young upstart nipping at his heals) where Derringer was pushing a reluctant Craigie into a pointless boxing match, or the time they got into it about leaving a marriage if a partner cheated. (Craigie having been married for a long time as opposed to the newly married JD took the shades of grey position as opposed to JD's black and white position of "it's over". I do. It wasn't pretty.

And then there was another guy that they brought into be Derringer's beta male after Craig Venn left. I forget his name (not Bill Hayes (Derringer's brother), another guy, he wasn't there long and Bill Hayes was right after him). He up and up would challenge Derringer on air, especially politically. He was NOT content to be beta male to Derringer. Not one bit. Well, they rode him out on a train. Derringer would later say on air, "that didn't work for just so many reasons". There was out and out palpable hatred between him and Derringer. (Ironically, they had brought him in as someone who could keep up with Derringer's intellect, but with intellect comes ego.)

So it's going to be interesting. Has Derringer mellowed in the last 10 years or so where he can accept and work with a side kick who may have something of their own to say? Or will Ms Valentyne figure out pretty quickly not to step on John's toes and just play off of him. It will be interesting.

February 15, 2017 @ 11:24 AM

Hank

I don't know how I feel about this. I mean I liked Jennifer when she was doing her shtick on CITY all those years and I like Derringer and Crew in measured doses but this is starting to look like the slightly younger version of Roger and Marilyn if you ask me and that frightens me. It is going to be very interesting to see how this all turns out during 2017.

Like others have said Derringer isn't going anywhere but we will see what the future holds for the others.

February 15, 2017 @ 12:54 PM

Beatts

Listened to the first two shows with her and I think she'll be just fine. I like the rapport they have with each other and I find Parker and Garbut seem to be getting more airtime and are all gelling together nice. Only time I cringe is when Jen starts singing her show tunes.

So far, so good.

February 15, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

GDB

I just don't get it. I find Toronto radio just keeps getting progressively worse.

February 15, 2017 @ 1:21 PM

Hank

@Beatts. Be Prepared for lots more show tunes! Old habits die hard. But to be honest as Q moves further away from being the Classic Rock alternative she may be on the right track.

February 15, 2017 @ 1:30 PM

Zelda

I prefer Q107 with Derringer, Ryan and Garbutt. Not a fan of Jennifer Valentyne. You can already tell that the atmosphere is changing. Why did they do it? I hated her on CITY with all those other losers. I listened for 5 mins, heard her voice and quickly tuned to another radio channel. Yesterday morning around 7:45am they were talking about "your" first records, albums and concerts and she was totally clueless. You would think that a radio show host on a music channel would know better. I don't think it will last. There was nothing wrong with the way it was! Please Johnnie bring it back to the way it was February 13!!!!!!

February 16, 2017 @ 11:57 AM

David Marsden

Brilliant!!! Love Jennifer. I haven't watched BT since she left. Well OK - I was rarely up at that time but when I happened to still be awake I would watch for Jennifer. :-)

February 16, 2017 @ 1:59 PM

Bob

Jennifer came to a location where I worked when she was with City on camera she was smiles and charm off camera she was a different person I I can't see her and John D working together I hope I'm wrong .

February 16, 2017 @ 5:36 PM

Beatts

To play devils advocate...

I was on a live eye with Jenn from Darien Lake 5 years ago and she was fantastic on and off camera. Was very gracious to me and my family.

February 16, 2017 @ 6:00 PM

Andy

Doug, you're thinking of a Ross McLeod, who was before Bill Hayes and now programs The Edge.

Historically, Derringer has not played well with women in the room:

Colleen Rushholme
Andrea Rooz
Jacqui Delaney

Ask them what he was like.

February 16, 2017 @ 10:47 PM

mississauga frank

Not sure what is going through the head's at Corus anymore. Jennifer was a marginal talent travelling to store open houses at 7 in the morning or to Canada's Wonderland to ride the new coaster at the beginning of the season but she will not last in the John Hayes male world. This is clearly a tactic to boost female audiences but the whole morning show needs to be turfed.

Derringer - the aging former coke-head and alpha male. Never met a camera he did not like and always takes the opportunity to show his fake implant teeth.

Parker - the 40 year old intern who's claim to fame is that he is not very smart and plays that card continually. He is kind of sad really.

Garbutt - proof that love is blind - cannot speak in a normal volume - he always has to yell. Not sure why he is even there.

Jennifer- deer in the headlights new member that struggles with the music let alone the company in the booth

February 17, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

Angie Romasco

Q107 was my morning radio show! LOVED The Boys, John, Ryan and John.....
Now that Jennifer has joined......wrong move guys!!!
She is not a good fit at all!! Didn't like her on CITY TV and she is worse on Q107
Sorry, it just doesn't work for me and I'm out.....I have changed the channel
no longer a Q107 morning fan.

February 17, 2017 @ 3:21 PM

Brian

I stopped listening to Q when they went to a skeletal staff. Meaning no late evening hosts and now only single person afternoon show. Derringer is washed up and needs to go. My opinion mornings and afternoons should be 2 people and the rest of the day (middays and evenings) should be one person but on air until 11 or 12 at night. I used to love listening to Dominik Diamond or the other scottsman that was on at night. I like Andy frost but 7-9? Seriously? Not even worth it. Probably voice tracked as well. I think Joanne should move to afternoon drive with John Scholes and one of the guys from the morning show should go middays the other to evenings. Leave derringer and Jen for mornings. See how that works out. Oh and stop trying to be a little more rockier version of boom. Either go after them and the ratings 100% or maintain true rock.

February 17, 2017 @ 3:22 PM

chris

Jenn is a deer in the headlights as heard this week on LESSER Q, as mighty Q was buried a while ago. Sorry Jenn after a few days U are not fitting in so far.
Personally Derringer is the problem - pay him of for balance of his contract & then he also can do podcasts living of his severance.

February 17, 2017 @ 4:01 PM

GUNTer

i listened to Q for so many years, but 'Aunty Mo' finally got on my last nerve and i stopped. When i heard she left I tuned back in and have stayed tuned in - but Jen V didnt do much for me this week. A few of her comments I actually cringed at - one being "dont worry guys i only cry once a month" fuuuuuuuuck. I love John Garbutt, can let Derringer pass (only slightly), but Ryan - come on - as someone stated up-thread - enough with the 'i am stupid' schtick - it isnt funny.

Having said all this i only listen to the radio for 30 minutes in the morning while I am preparing to go out the door. Once I'm in my car i listen to audiobooks. Listening to a great one right now "The Road".

One last thing, i tried to listen to the Mo podcast this week but her voice and cackle raised my hackles and then when TorontoMike say "buddon" instead of "button" i was out! :)

February 17, 2017 @ 4:09 PM

Brandon

@GUNTer

"The Road" audiobook you mention, is that the Cormac McCarthy book? If so, I know there are two different audiobook readings of it - one read by Rupert Degas (which I've listened to) and one read by Tom Stechschulte. Which one are you listening to?

February 18, 2017 @ 6:24 AM

Hank

Wow. Some pretty sharp comments up above. Should be interesting to see if this experiment works and what the ratings look like. I mean lets face it everything in radio seems like an experiment these days.

February 18, 2017 @ 8:01 AM

Q - sucks

Watch before your eyes (errr...and listen before your ears) JD is morphing into the radio version of Jay Leno. Predictable jokes, unfunny and zero edge! Wasn't a fan before this move and certainly am not going back to "the mighty Q" now.

February 18, 2017 @ 1:30 PM

GUNTer

@Brandon
it is the audiobook with Tom Stechschulte. At first his voice was grating, but now I quite enjoy his reading.

February 18, 2017 @ 4:03 PM

Cam

Sorry Q107!! I won't be listening anymore! I loved Q107, it's always been my radio station but I can see it changing and now with Q's latest addition of Jennifer Valentyne, that was enough to turn me off! I listened in , she's so annoying and doesn't fit in, also you can tell she's not excellent as she should be with rock music knowledge! When or if she is canned, then I'll listen again, til then, bye!!

February 20, 2017 @ 7:11 AM

Brandon

@Cam (and others)

I guess it depends what her bosses want from her. When she came aboard they pitched her rapport and experience with reaching out to members of the community. I suppose that means it might be more in her wheelhouse to be interacting with contest callers or guests that come by in-studio to promote an event or something.

On your music comment - yes, if I were in Jennifer's position I'd probably get the playlists for the next several days from the music director and at least familiarize myself with each and every one of those songs played during the morning show and some trivia behind it, the band, the album it came from, etc. That's time-consuming but would show she could hold her own if it came up. I like Jennifer, and just wonder if she is willing to put in this kind of work for the gig - and do her bosses or Derringer and team even expect her to - or is she just "winging it" so far on air?

The show will take time for them to all find their "vibe" with each other and the audience with her. It will either evolve nicely and settle into a groove or it won't and she'll be out within, say, a year.

February 20, 2017 @ 1:10 PM