I've Never Seen Top Gun

Is there a pop culture marker you completely missed? For example, are you in your 40s but have never seen Star Wars?

Against all odds, I have somehow never seen Top Gun. I'm willing to bet very few movie-watching guys in this country who are my age can make the same claim. It wasn't intentional, it just ended up this way.

Top Gun was released in May 1986 when I was 11 years old. At 11, I may have been slightly too young to catch the movie in theatres. How I never caught it on VHS is rather puzzling. I rented a lot of movies in the late 80s.

topgun

Then there comes a point where you avoid the movie on television, because if you're going to see Top Gun, you don't want any editing or ads. But for one reason or another, you're never compelling to seek it out. I've never had that moment where I thought "I need to see Top Gun so I understand all the references that have been flying about for thirty years".

My buddy Elvis drops a Top Gun reference as part of his daily lexicon. I know it's from Top Gun, but I sure don't know Top Gun.

Is there a pop culture phenomenon that somehow eluded you? And at this point, are you afraid to admit it?

James Edgar

I've probably missed a gazillion . Mostly in the 1980's probably when i was too busy and poor to get out to or rent movies. True story I never owned a VCR . My ex wife had one when we were married so i guess i kind of had one then but really it was hers. My first video gear purchase was a DVD player followed not long after by a Blueray when i got divorced and left my DVD player behind.

I did see Top gun though. Didn't really love it but didn't hate it either.

February 2, 2017 @ 10:38 AM

Ryan G

I too have never seen Top Gun, and never will.

I find there I'm that way with a lot of things:

-Super Hero movies (except the latest Batman movies, and even those I can leave or take)
-Candy and desserts- zero interest
-Any movie with The Rock, Jackie Chan, Jason Statham, Chris Tucker or Jack Black
-ANY kind of reality tv - even the home reno shows annoy the shite out of me
-Animated movies (couple of exceptions but mostly...no)
-Maple syrup - nope! on pancakes i only put margarine/butter..on french toast, salt and pepper (i think that's a British thing)

February 2, 2017 @ 11:09 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Mike, considering we're roughly the same age, I'm floored you managed to never see that movie.

I suppose my blindspot would be Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein, which is weird since I watched the hell out of Spaceballs (I still know it word-for-word) and History of The World Part I. I've seen bits and pieces of those first two movies, but never in their entirety.

February 2, 2017 @ 11:11 AM

@Ryan G

Your comment made me chuckle, because there are parallels.

-Super Hero movies (except the latest Batman movies, and even those I
can leave or take)

Me too, although I did see the first Avengers. That's the last super hero movie I've seen.

-Candy and desserts- zero interest

Me too, unless it's chocolate. I have a weakness for chocolate, but no interest in other candies.

-Any movie with The Rock, Jackie Chan, Jason Statham, Chris Tucker or
Jack Black

Me too.

-ANY kind of reality tv - even the home reno shows annoy the shite out
of me

Me too, with one exception. I watched every episode of Hello Goodbye on the CBC site and I think I shed a tear or two every time. I'm not sure why, but that show hits an emotional nerve with me.

-Animated movies (couple of exceptions but mostly...no)

I have seen Frozen and Zootopia and the PIxar movies too many times, but this is only because of my kids.

We differ here. I like some maple syrup on my french toast.

February 2, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

I know, right?

You missing Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein makes sense when you consider the years they were released. You may not have been born yet!

And Spaceballs was aimed at kids our age and came out at the perfect time for us... I too saw it over and over and over again.

February 2, 2017 @ 11:34 AM

Ryan G

@Toronto Mike - well, i must say that chocolate milk is an exception for me. love that stuff.

And on the topic of movies or tv in general, it seems like in some ways you can get away with lots more than you used to, but in some ways you can't.

For example, Airplane - there's the classic pedo joke...and used not only once - they milked it 2 or 3 times as i recall. Flash forward to The Hangover when what's his face says he's not allowed to be within a certain distance of elementary schools - it was funny but different, because in Airplane, the 12 year old boy is in the scene, and he's getting hit on by Peter Graves! In the same movie, not only did you have a 10 year old girl utter lines about her choice in romantic partners, but an interracial preference at that. This was 1982'ish. And in The Exorcist (1973), imagine the look on the faces of Linda Blair's parents when they read the part of the script which called for Blair to get friendly with a crucifix. Another older actor subbed in for Blair shooting that scene, but still...

Nowadays Family Guy gets away with a lot, but the fact that it's a cartoon seems to mitigate the shock for a lot of people I suppose

February 2, 2017 @ 12:36 PM

elvis

Holy shit! I had no idea. I'm really sorry Mike - I wasn't trying to be an asshole (this time). I swear.

I watched Terminator 1 and 2 for the first time this past week.

February 2, 2017 @ 2:20 PM

Beatts

Top gun was the first DVD I bought (To show off my new surround sound system to impress the ladies...)

Mike, there's one Jack black movie I would be shocked if you told me you haven't seen...

High Fidelity. Great movie!

Someone who enjoys music as much as you do should be all over that movie

February 2, 2017 @ 2:54 PM

I loved High Fidelity. It was one of my favourite books at the time. I've actually enjoyed a few Jack Black movies.

February 2, 2017 @ 3:08 PM

Anon

Much to the chagrin of my 10 or 11 year old self, I have never seen Porky's or Fast Times at Ridgemount High.

Also missed out on all the Friday the 13th films.

Apart from the odd clip, the same goes for the Cheech and Chong films and The Blues Brothers.

And I only recently - like over the Christmas break - saw Risky Business.

But I did see Top Gun (in fact I saw the end of it last night on TMNencore) ... and it does not hold up well.

February 2, 2017 @ 3:38 PM

Coach Carter

My wife finds it weird that I've never seen "The Sound of Music" but I bet I can name at least 4 songs from it and possibly sing along with them.
Sounds like a great movie though! No spoilers ok?!

February 2, 2017 @ 3:48 PM

GDB

I have never seen....only going to name a few...

Titanic
Any of the Lethal Weapon Movies

I do not like anything by JJ Abrams ( I am a huge Star Trek fan and forced myself to go see the new movies which I did not like at all.)

February 2, 2017 @ 6:17 PM

twins from bolton

Never & will never see any Sci Fi movie - Star Wars, Star Trek, etc.
Last movie I saw at a "theater" was the 1st Lord of the Rings with the family & slept thorough most of it. I refuse to spend much $ to see something that will be available for minimal cost shortly afterwards.

I have my faves & could watch them over & over again.

February 2, 2017 @ 6:33 PM

Jody Thornton

@Coach, yeah Mike, what's the spoiler rule for a 1965 musical?

I have not seen Top Gun or the Star Wars movies. I've never had interest in them. I was way too much in to music in the 80s. But I would think Top Gun would be good. I'll proably check it out at some point, but Star Wars? Ummmmmm Nawwwww!

February 3, 2017 @ 7:57 AM

Douglas

● Titanic - I didn't feel like sitting through a 2+ hour movie, I knew how the story ended, and now I just cannot be bothered.
● Avatar - No interest whatsoever from my sons (I would have taken them), about the same for me.
● Kill Bill - I'll likely get around to these some day. Some day.
● Any horror genre movie, and especially series.
TV series...Too many to mention, but I'll throw out any "reality" or "idol" show, Big Bang Theory, The Walking Dead (anything to do with zombies - vampires, too).

February 3, 2017 @ 12:11 PM

James Edgar

I've never thought of myself as very mainstream but i guess i am. :(

I've seen pretty much any movie listed that you guys are saying you haven't seen !

I love Star Wars ,Star Trek , The lord of the rings etc.

I've seen most during first runs at the theatre ,at least since the late 90's .
Despite the cost i prefer movies at the theatre , well the ones that are effects heavy at least! there's just something about the theatre experience I like better than sitting on my couch. even with the inconvenience of having to sit through the whole movie without a break for washrooms or drink refills. and of course the cost of said drink.
I Do HATE the commercials we are subjected to more and more and I can see that curtailing my movie going plans.

There are a few movies on a list I googled "pop culture marker movies" i have missed ,Mostly older movies ( many hitchcock) but from the more modern ones I have not watched - the godfather ,ET, when harry met sally , The exorcist , fatal attraction ,Close encounters ,2001, Any halloween or Friday the 13th or any horror movie really.

I'm a bit bummed out at just how much POP culture I've sat through. More than a bit actually.

February 3, 2017 @ 12:23 PM

Paul

I've seen Top Gun.

I'm into a lot of things.

I'm a BIG fan of pro-wrestling, but have yet to see the MAcho Man Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat Wrestlemania 3 match, largely considered the best Wrestlemania match of all time. Yet, I've seen Donald Trump shave Vince Macmahon bald.

February 3, 2017 @ 1:51 PM

Ajax Mike

I've never seen Titanic. Wasn't exactly my type of movie when it came out, and the overabundance of hype, plus James Cameron's "I'm king of the world!" at the Oscars (especially lacking the context that I'm now at least peripherally aware of) just turned me right off it. At this point, it's almost a matter of pride to refuse to watch it. :)

February 4, 2017 @ 6:43 AM

chuck99

Top Gun is a 30-year-old movie and might seem dated if viewed today. It was a mediocre movie that contributed to the impression that Tom Cruise could not act. Subsequently, he proved his critics wrong with very good performances in Rain Man and Born on the Fourth of July.
I have never seen Titanic, but I probably should, because it did win the Oscar for Best Picture. All movie lovers should see Star Wars, because it was a very influential picture. It rejuvenated the science fiction genre and, along with Jaws, created the summer movie blockbuster.

February 7, 2017 @ 5:05 PM

Alison in Ottawa

I loved Top Gun when it was first released....I believe I was in university at the time...

I've never seen Avatar (no interest but my teen aged son loved it) or any of the Lord of the Rings movies, loved the books, no desire to see the movies....

February 13, 2017 @ 10:44 AM