The Trump Paradox

The 2017 Presidential Inauguration takes place Friday. I don't think I've written a word here or on Twitter about Donald Trump since he was elected in November. Then, last week, I wrote a couple of Tweets about what I call the Trump Paradox.

When Donald Trump the reality show host writes petty Tweets and makes ludicrous statements, my instinct is to completely ignore him. After all, if 15 years of blogging has taught me anything it's that one should not feed the trolls. Ignoring is the best course of action.

When Donald Trump the President-Elect does the same, my instinct is to continue ignoring. But Trump is about to become the most powerful man on the planet, and how can you ignore statements made by someone with such a title? This is the Trump Paradox.

In essence, the man does not deserve our respect, but the office demands it. It's going to be a rough four years.

GDB

I don't like to talk politics as it never seems to lead to anything but heated arguments.....but in this case I like what you wrote here Mike. it is a paradox.

January 18, 2017 @ 1:43 PM

Alan

Every time Trump tweets one of his twit remarks I want to go on Twitter and tell him to "shut the f' up". But my Twitter account is related to my business so I don't say anything. Right now waiting for Trump's inauguration gives me the same feeling I have when I can feel the flu about to hit me.

January 18, 2017 @ 6:08 PM

Luigi

As the great Charles Barkley once said..."Twitter is where fools go to feel important".
Present company excluded, Mr. TOMike :)

January 18, 2017 @ 6:52 PM

Javed Jafri

Trump is having problems in getting entertainers to perform at his inaugural, many have said no and some said yes but than backed out. I was on a site that mentioned that a Springsteen cover band called the B Street Band had decided to back out and then I went to the comments and saw this:

Breaking: Karaoke Machine backs out of performing at Inauguration!

January 18, 2017 @ 7:38 PM

markosaar

The whole thing still feels surreal to me. Not sure even the inauguration will convince me Trump is really president.

January 19, 2017 @ 8:56 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Unfortunate by product of the democratic system. If people were so reluctant to even hold their nose and vote for Hillary (least of 2 evils) then this is what can happen.
I think (as with Rob Ford) there is so much back room maneuvering ( even within the Republican party) is going on, Trumps tiny hands are going to be tied.

January 19, 2017 @ 6:01 PM

chris

Donald Trump should join Roger Waters & David Gilmour of Pink Floyd & have them help Trump build a Wall since they already have experience.
Trump is Comfortably Numb in all respects.

January 25, 2017 @ 5:55 PM

Voice of Reason

"my instinct is to continue to ignore"

That's because you're ignorant.

January 26, 2017 @ 8:31 AM

@Voice of Reason

Ignoring online trolls doesn't make one ignorant, it keeps one sane.

January 26, 2017 @ 8:39 AM

Ignorance

Ignorance would be the kindest description of anyone who refuses to acknowledge that Trump is an incoherent, mean-spirited, simple-minded boor.

WTH am i supposed to do with my retirement savings when the world's largest economy is headed by an idiot?

January 26, 2017 @ 10:18 AM