Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Lyle Lanley

Number one with a bullet. Welcome 2017. Hope it's working out well for everyone so far.

January 6, 2017 @ 8:38 AM

I was going to write a full entry about this, but I'm a little short on time so I'm just going to chuck my thoughts here for now.

I have a serious issue with championships being decided by a shootout (or penalty kicks). Last night, most of us watched a thrilling gold medal game decided by a shootout. Yes, we lost to the USA in that shootout and ended up with the silver medal. Here's why that sucks.

When you lose in a shootout, it doesn't feel as bad. Had the US scored in OT, it would have felt like we lost the hockey game. This just feels like we lost a skills competition.

But, when you win in a shootout, it doesn't feel as good. It just doesn't. You want it to feel like it felt when Crosby scored against the US in 2010. Winning in a shootout means you won, but not in the fair way you wanted to win. It takes a lot of the shine off.

So if this method of deciding a championship dulls the edges, making the lows feel less low and the highs feel less high, it's taken the best part of sports out of the mix. As a lifelong fan of sports, that sucks.

January 6, 2017 @ 8:48 AM

Rob J

Still bizarre to me that the NHL decides games via shootout all year long after an abbreviated OT, but yet in the playoffs everything changes, including length of OT and how many skaters are on the ice.

January 6, 2017 @ 8:52 AM

@Rob J

I don't find that bizarre at all.

The NHL knows its fans wouldn't want a playoff game decided by a shootout, so they let them play until someone scores. This is the way it should be.

But a regular season game if different. Although I was fine with a tie game, I guess they thought coming out of the lockout that a shootout would excite people. NHL fans are willing to put up with a little gimmick like that so long as it doesn't touch the playoffs.

January 6, 2017 @ 9:00 AM

Cheryl

Well, so I am not first, but I don't care. My Nets lost again, but my Suns won. My Nets play my Cavs tonight. I hope it's going to be a close thriller, but my Cavs will win. Well, I sure hope I have good luck with the football pool. I have Cowboys, Dolphins, Chiefs and Seahawks. I need them all to do well and one of them to win the Superbowl and then I win $50.00. I really could use the money. Anyway, I could get my job back. My dad tells me I should just walk away and look for another job, but I have the CNIB on my case and there is another organization they referred me to which I will call. Apparently there is no charge for a lawyer in this case. Anyway, so even though I was an independent contractor, it's still discrimination. The CNIB can do a work place assessment. It took some time for this job loss thing to sink in, but now it has. I know I'm not going to go flat broke for years, but it's really devastating. There's a big game tomorrow. Habs at Leafs. Habs better win.

January 6, 2017 @ 9:04 AM

Ryan G

Great hockey game. Shitty ending. U.S. deserves full credit though. We had 'em down by a pair of goals twice and they hung in there. Great comeback for them.

Word is that Miracle on Ice II is already in the works, with Steve Guttenberg as Coach Johnson and Joyce Dewitt as the hockey mom who had to sell off everything and live in an Alabama trailer park so her boy could realize his dream and play for USA. Michael Ironside is the villainous Canadian immigration officer who hassles the team when they try to cross the border, and Haley Joel Osment plays the same character from Sixth Sense who is now a psychic and foresaw USA greatness in tea leaves.

January 6, 2017 @ 9:32 AM

Rob J

@TM

Thanks for the mansplain.

January 6, 2017 @ 9:43 AM

James Edgar

My wife is home this week and we have my stepdaughter as her ex had to go back to work.

To make it easier for them to have fun and run errands i am taking the TTC to work.

It's long way from North Etobicoke to Yonge and sheppard.

Not unenjoyable I do appreciate being able to read on the way to work but the " we are experiencing delays at Blah blah due to signal problems " announcement was pretty annoying this morning!

I've been driving /riding to work for over 15 years straight. I am very appreciative this morning of that. it certainly feels better to have things in my control rather than some disembodied voice in the ceiling. Or the illusion of control at least. I have been stuck out on the 401 express more than a few times.

January 6, 2017 @ 9:49 AM

Beatts

Ryan G wins the internet today. :)

January 6, 2017 @ 10:11 AM

m m

Ryan G, you had me at Steve Guttenberg and Michael Ironside.

January 6, 2017 @ 10:57 AM

The Voice of Reason

Mike, I have to agree with you this time. Secondly, why would they play a Gold Medal Game on a Thursday. This should have been played Saturday night.

January 6, 2017 @ 11:15 AM

@The Voice of Reason

I wonder if it was to avoid conflict with the NFL playoffs and HNIC. I'm sure the ratings are super high, regardless.

January 6, 2017 @ 11:20 AM

Wally

@Toronto Mike

I cautiously agree that ratings will be super high, but part of me thinks it won't be as high as people think.

It has been pointed out that TSN didn't release the TV numbers for any of Canada's game thus far which is contradictory to the past few tournaments where after every game TSN would trumpet the numbers like an advertisement. This has lead many to think that TV numbers for the tournament are not as high as before.

Also in-arena attendance has been a problem as well.

January 6, 2017 @ 12:06 PM

McNulty

Imagine if the World Series was decided by a Home Run contest? Or if the Super Bowl was decided by a most accurate throw?

I'm not a TFC fan and I don't really care that much about the World Juniors but it's a silly way to decide a game.

January 6, 2017 @ 12:27 PM

Rob

In a tournament format, I am fine with shootouts deciding elimination games but for hockey, yah a shootout sucks. In the final, go 4v4 and next goal wins!

As per soccer, the shootout needs to stay. What makes soccer's shootout compelling and hockey's not is that in soccer the PK is all on the shooter. The shooter misses, the shooter is the goat and will forever be remembered as the person who misses. That is pressure, real pressure. In hockey, it's 50/50 so neither the goalie or the player will be the goat, therefore there is less pressure which makes it less compelling.

Now, I know a lot of people who are not soccer enthusiasts will just say: well why can't they just play until someone scores and allow substitutes? What makes soccer great is the continuous play and a lack of stoppages from substitutes and remember we want to see the best players on the field. It is literally not humanly possible for a human to perform for 120 minutes+ at optimal abilities. It will make for awful theatre; on the other hand, PKs makes for great theatre. Have you ever seen anyone shut the TV off when soccer PKs begin? You can't, its thrilling theatre with all the pressure put on the shooter. I played my whole life at a high level, played in beer leagues for many, many years and even played in a fun co-ed league. What always amazes me is when my team gets to penalties that nobody is willing to volunteer to shoot. Even for rec soccer, the pressure is immense.

January 6, 2017 @ 12:35 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Rob

As we can see, Mcnulty does not respect tradition. The sports world would literally go insane if "suddenly" we decided to end others sports with new dramatic ways of ending matches.
I am not a fan of the shootout, but at least the IIHF keeps it consistent. The NHL awards two points for some games and three points for others.

January 6, 2017 @ 1:37 PM

Daniel

@Rob agree with you 100% Anyone who complains about soccer going into PK's has to try playing a soccer game for 120 minutes. Its just not possible. PK's are fine

Hockey, I would argue, is different. Let 'em play

January 6, 2017 @ 2:36 PM

GDB

The only thing I would change about the PK in soccer is that the goalie should at least be allowed to move before the kick.

For hockey, go 4 on 4 till someone scores.

January 6, 2017 @ 3:09 PM

FYI: I've moved my shootout comment: here:http://www.torontomike.com/2017/01/my_thoughts_on_shootouts_that_deci.html

January 6, 2017 @ 3:27 PM

The gold medal ratings are out.

11.1 million unique viewers

An average audience of 5.2 million viewers tuned in to TSN (4.2 million) and RDS (950,000)

January 6, 2017 @ 5:12 PM

dale (Bolton)

Taking a time out for a while.
Keep on commenting.
Anyways.

January 6, 2017 @ 8:20 PM

Blind Dave

@McNulty

I made a similar baseball comment in the shootout entry as you did here. Not trying to copy you, I just read the other entry first!

I agree that the shootout works in soccer. Goals are rare and the time is long. As for hockey, how about a ten minute 3 on 3 sudden death OT then a shootout if necessary for regular season only? No shootout for playoffs, obviously, but how about 4 on 4?

The prairies are back in the deep freeze again. Not much snow but damn, it's cold!

January 6, 2017 @ 8:40 PM

McNulty

Not sure why VOR took a shot a me claiming I don't respect tradition. As usual his arguments lack coherent thought. Well, his original ideas lack coherent thought. His plagiarized ones are just ridiculous.

January 6, 2017 @ 9:23 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Cavs won last night over my Nets. Good game. My Cavs play my Suns tomorrow night. Well, my Coyotes lost last night. That was no good at all. Anyway, I have a phone appointment with a lawyer at 2:00 on Wednesday to discuss Human Rights advice. I am nervous. I don't know what he is going to do, but I know I don't have to pay as he is from an organization who deals with the disabled. Maybe I won't get my job back. I have no idea. Anyway, I don't know what the lawyer will say, but I am nervous.

January 7, 2017 @ 7:39 AM

Jillian

Remember the court case where blind Derek was the jury foreman and he discussed details of the case on air? Seems the guy had his conviction stayed (essentially charges dismissed and he has no criminal record) all because of what was said on the Dean Blundell Show, argued his lawyer!

January 7, 2017 @ 11:50 AM

JJ

Where is Trudeau?

Hmm, kibitzing with the rich?

We got 3 more years of this clown?

January 7, 2017 @ 2:59 PM

Steven

Who are you asking? Better yet, why are you asking?

January 7, 2017 @ 4:36 PM

Cheryl

Well, great hockey night. My Habs played a great game and my Coyotes won. Too bad it was a shootout, but they finally won. Anyway, so I have my Nets at noon and my Cavs at my Suns at 8:30. Lots of basketball. Good thing the Seahawks won yesterday as I have them in my playoff pool. Too bad the Texans won because Bill has them. Nobody has the Raders, but if they would have won, it would have helped. I need the money. I need either Seahawks, Dolphins, Chiefs or Cowboys to win the Superbowl so I get my money.

January 8, 2017 @ 7:50 AM

Cheryl

Well, my Nets lost. My Cavs beat my Suns though. Anyway, the Dolphins are done. That's not a good thing. Anyway, I need either the Seahawks, Cowboys or Chiefs to win the Superbowl so I win the pool. I need to win it. I need the money. Anyway, snow storm tomorrow. My trainer may have to cancel. It would save money if he did, but I like my trainer and my workouts. I just wish he was still living in Toronto. Anyway, 5 to 10 cm of snow tomorrow. Lawyer call on Wednesday. What questions is he going to ask me I wonder. You know, maybe it will be very short and it will be up to me to call my manager and tell her what he said, who knows. I never dealt with a lawyer before.

January 9, 2017 @ 7:46 AM

Dr. Seymour Light

Sad news about Hugh's Room closing. Great venue for food, drink and music....

January 9, 2017 @ 4:33 PM

Cheryl

My Habs got spanked by the Caps. That's not a good thing. Anyway, so tonight my Cavs are in Utah and my Nets are at home hosting the Hawks. I need wins. Anyway, my trainer will make it he says. There is snow out there though. That's not a good thing. Anyway, tomorrow is the lawyer.I hope it will be okay. Maybe he will just give me advice and tell me to call the manager and the manager will say that there's nothing they can do. I don't know.

January 10, 2017 @ 7:12 AM

Mel Preston

U2 have announced a 30th anniversary Joshua Tree Tour. First of all, that makes me feel really old as I remember being in university when that album came out :)

They are playing Toronto on June 23rd at Skydome ( yeah I know its now the Rogers Centre)

Talk is they'll play older songs first leading up to JT, then play the entire JT in sequence, then newer songs looking forward.

I am so stoked! Should be great.

January 10, 2017 @ 10:35 AM

I once bought tickets to see Public Enemy perform It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back live and in order...

Chuck D had other ideas. He ended up playing so much more - basically a full concert with bonus tracks. So the gimmick the tickets were marketed with didn't matter at all.

Best show ever, btw.

January 10, 2017 @ 2:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Heard about Hugh' s room also, sad news. Was a nice intimate setting.

January 10, 2017 @ 5:07 PM

Cheryl

Well, basketball was not good last night. My Nets lost and my Cavs lost. This is not a good thing. Anyway, my shower door broke. This is also not a good thing. Well, it won't close all the way anymore, it won't close properly so I had the maintenance guy look at it and he can't fix it so he told me who to call and I called. Someone is coming over, but guess what, even if it can't be fixed, I am going to get charged $165.00 just for the service call, but maybe it can't be fixed and I might have to get a new shower. I mean it is glass and maybe they have to use a jackhammer or something like that and I hate jackhammers. Anyway, I'm not working. I am living off savings. I don't know when I will be working. I don't kow what the lawyer is going to say or anything. Well, six and a half hours until the lawyer calls.

January 11, 2017 @ 7:36 AM

Jason from Sudbury

So I guess I was MIA for a while. Was just busy with the holidays and stuff. Was fun but glad its over.

World Juniors:
Good game, bullshit way to decide a championship. That pissed me off. There should be no shootout in a gold medal game, it should be suddan death overtime just like in NHL playoffs.

Was sad to hear about Scruff Connors passing away. With both him and Iron Mike gone, I'm sure there's a kick ass radio station on the other side.

Speaking of radio, Somebody told me Jesse Modz is leaving HTZ to go to Calgary. Wonder who'll get afternoon drive on HTZ.

January 11, 2017 @ 7:49 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

This afternoon I'm talking with Gene Valaitis who worked closely with Scruff, so he'll have some stories I'm sure.

January 11, 2017 @ 9:16 AM

@Cheryl

I'm sure they won't have to use a jackhammer on your shower.

Let us know what the lawyer tells you.

I'm sorry the Nets are truly terrible. Terrible today with no hope for the future. That is one bad basketball team.

January 11, 2017 @ 9:30 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: Yeah, looking forward to the Jesse and Gene podcast.

January 11, 2017 @ 9:32 AM

Cheryl

Well, someone was supposed to come and look at the shower yesterday, but didn't so they're coming today. The lawyer did call. He said that he does not deal with employment law, but human rights and says that I should send an email to my manager and tell her that there are some things that can be done like she could have contacted the CNIB for a work place assessment. Anyway, he referred me to a legal aid clinic which I will call and see what they have to say. Also the CNIB is supposed to call today. Are you saying I won't need a jackhammer even if they have to replace the whole shower. I mean it's just the door, it won't close. My Cavs lost another one again. That's no good. I'm worried they will go into a slump again. My Habs did win last night. Lots of scoring in that one and no Carey Price, but they won so that's great. The Habs are winning the cup. I just know that they will do it. Yes, the Nets are terrible. They've gotten terrible. I just hope my Cavs don't go into a big long slump.

January 12, 2017 @ 7:17 AM