Brace Yourself: Jersey Ads are Coming

Have you ever watched old footage of an NHL hockey game and remarked that the boards are ad-less? They're quaint in their starkness. At some point ads were introduced and we just got used to it.

Watching TFC matches, it's impossible to ignore the BMO ad on the jerseys. If the same ads appeared on a Blue Jays, Maple Leafs or Raptors jersey, there'd be outrage I'm sure. After all, this isn't Europe.

Brace yourself, sports fans. Jersey ads are coming. First to take the plunge is the NBA who are allowing teams to sport a 2.5 inch by 2.5 inch ad on jerseys, beginning next season. The historic Boston Celtics just struck a deal with General Electric and they join the 76ers and Kings.

ad

Without a doubt, the other North American leagues will follow suit. Leagues love "free money". And over time, as we all get used to the ads, they'll get larger and multiply. I guarantee it.

Rick C in Oakville

As long as they don't start looking like a NASCAR drivers jacket, one small ad isn't too bad.

January 26, 2017 @ 10:01 AM

Chico's Bail Bonds

My advertising staff will hit the ground running with this one.What team will get the honor of wearing the CBB logo.So many still to choose from.

January 26, 2017 @ 11:05 AM

Pete

My guess is MLB never goes this route.

If there's one sports jersey in the U.S. that's considered sacred, it's those of Major League Baseball. Imagine a McDonald's logo on a Cubs jersey. Yuck.

January 26, 2017 @ 11:17 AM

Douglas

I can live with small ads on sweaters (!!! hockey) and jerseys. As long as we don't get to the point of what soccer-(global) football uniforms are like, where you have Emirates playing Samsung. I despise that. It is one of the many things that turns me off watching any non-national/international soccer-football match.

January 26, 2017 @ 12:11 PM

Derek

The CFL has been doing this for years and as terrible as it looks, I figured it would onlyu be a matter of time before other, "bigger" leagues would follow suit.

I wonder how long before the NFL starts putting adds on the field. I hope never but greed always wins out in the end.

January 26, 2017 @ 12:36 PM

Cambo

"...and now taking the court, your ROGERS RAPTORS"

Don't kid yourself. It's coming.

January 26, 2017 @ 1:05 PM

@Cambo

But Bell owns as much of the Raptors as Rogers.... The Rogers Blue Jays, on the other hand...

January 26, 2017 @ 1:17 PM

Beatts

"Your Toronto Mike Toronto Marlies !"

January 26, 2017 @ 3:57 PM

Tim

So if they start putting adverts on Jerseys like the professional soccer leagues , does that mean less commercial time outs. Soccer has no commercial time outs, hence the reason for the adverts on the jerseys in the first place

January 26, 2017 @ 4:23 PM

@Tim

Nope.

It's "free money", after all. Same ad breaks as always.

January 26, 2017 @ 4:34 PM

Dr. Seymour Light

I wonder how marquee players will like being advertising marques's...Unless of course they get a 50% share of revenue, then it is a non issue...

January 26, 2017 @ 4:43 PM

GDB

How long before this becomes a major issue in labour negotiations? I'm sure players will want a healthy cut of this new revenue.

January 27, 2017 @ 6:11 AM

McNulty

I have bought a Raptors jersey. I go to about 11 or more games a year (tonight in fact!).

If they put a logo on the jersey, I don't think I would buy one. It may depend on the logo but, for example, if it was a Pepsi logo then I would never buy one.

Although I have sat here and thought about what company I wouldn't mind on the jersey and I have come up empty.

January 27, 2017 @ 7:44 AM

@GDB

It's already part of the NBA's CBA.

NBA teams will keep half of the money generated by selling sponsorships on jerseys, and that half will be further split in two, with one portion going to the individual team that does the deal and the other going to a revenue-sharing pool. The half that does not go to the teams will be split with the players and will contribute to a rising salary cap.

January 27, 2017 @ 8:13 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I know that there will be a time in the distant future when we won't remember life without ads on jerseys (same as ads on rink boards) but right now, I can't tell you how much I hate this.

Those who think the logos will stay small, don't kid yourselves. Greed will triumph once the floodgates are open. Have you seen a hockey game in Europe? That will be the future. Hopefully the distant future.

January 27, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

Brian Gerstein (Raptors Devotee)

The first time I really noticed advertisements on jerseys was watching The Spengler Cup where they were covered from helmet to skate blades with advertisements, and I found it completely distracting.

My opinions have not changed, and while a discreet GE logo on the Celtics jersey I have no issue with, it is the inevitable expansion on the jerseys and elsewhere that Toronto Mike refers to that concerns me more.

January 27, 2017 @ 5:51 PM

H.o.E.

On the subject of sponsors -- I was at Mosport a few years ago for their American Le Mans Series weekend, and saw 'Daily Planet' on the side of a car in one of the preliminary races.

I wondered if it was the TV show, something to do with DC Comics/Superman, or maybe something else. The driver was Australian, and Daily Planet was actually the name of one of the biggest brothels in Melbourne.

January 28, 2017 @ 11:27 AM