Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 207: Bob Elliott

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 207In this 207th episode, Mike chats with legendary baseball writer Bob Elliott about his years covering the Expos and Blue Jays, why he was banned from Bob McCown's Prime Time Sports, and the future of baseball in Canada. This episode is exactly 2:03:56.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Bob Elliott and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Matt

2 hours! Is this the longest podcast now?

Cant wait to listen to this one!

December 18, 2016 @ 5:19 PM

@Matt

Yes, this is the first episode ever to exceed two hours.

When Bob Elliott is over telling baseball stories, you do not watch the clock. :)

December 18, 2016 @ 6:59 PM

Rob J

What percentage of the convo would you estimate is non-Blue Jay related? (Note: this question is not a repudiation of the favourite mlb team of the TM universe, nor an insult to its wonderful and charming fanbase)

December 18, 2016 @ 9:11 PM

@Rob J

The primary focus is Expos and Jays, because those are the two teams Bob covered during his career. But there is talk of other teams and non-Jays. But

December 18, 2016 @ 9:20 PM

Rob J

I figured the focus would be the Jays and Expos. Actually can't wait to hear it. Great get by you!

December 18, 2016 @ 10:09 PM

I owe this honour to John Matthew IV.

Bob had actually turned me down in the summer when I asked him. Then... actually, I don't want to ruin the story. I tell it early in this episode.

December 18, 2016 @ 10:34 PM

Rob J

T'will be listened to Monday...with plenty of time to anticipate the 'Festelvis' episode!

December 18, 2016 @ 11:11 PM

James Edgar

Wow hard to believe that was 2 hours. I actually forgot to go and get my regular morning coffee.

You are very correct that PTS is much more compelling when Bob is on.

December 19, 2016 @ 11:54 AM

Beatts

I love listening to the dynamics of a guest.

It started with Bob sounding not really thrilled to be in your basement...

I believe then you can actually hear the persons demeanor change, like they know you've done your homework as a host and they can trust you... they begin to open up.

Then it's the sweet spot. Just pure relaxed conversation.

I don't even care for baseball to be honest, but I was hanging on his every word. Top notch.

December 20, 2016 @ 12:20 PM

Al the Royal Pain

Well done as usual Mike. Great get and he delivered.

December 20, 2016 @ 1:33 PM

Rob J

Loved the couple of minutes spent on the Rick Monday homer off Rogers. If Gibson '88 is my Carter '93, then Monday '81 is my Alomar '92.

December 20, 2016 @ 1:44 PM

@Beatts

Bob warned me beforehand that he's not comfortable broadcasting. I think at the beginning he was feeling that anxiety and as we talked he seemed to become more comfortable and relaxed.

December 20, 2016 @ 2:31 PM

Beatts

Absolutely Michael (homage to Bob ;) You could hear it.

He relaxed and the interview truly began. Good stuff.

December 20, 2016 @ 3:25 PM

Blind Dave

Fantastic ep. About 45 minutes to go and I'm hanging on every word.

December 21, 2016 @ 8:26 PM

Anonymous

Just Finished catching up on your podcasts and as someone who remember Expos back in 1969 enjoyed the talk about both the Expos and Blue Jays. Bob getting banned by Rogers does kind of confirm that only McGown and Zahn can be critical of the Blue Jays.

December 22, 2016 @ 4:52 PM

@anonymous

You mean Robert and Gregory? :)

December 22, 2016 @ 4:54 PM

Mike

Bob's got an amazing memory.

April 1, 2017 @ 1:39 PM