Josie Dye Leaves 102.1 the Edge

Josie Dye started at 102.1 the Edge way back in 2002. She took over middays when Kelly Cutrara left and stayed in that spot until she moved to mornings following the cancellation of the Dean Blundell Show. That experiment didn't last long, and Josie Dye was moved to 2pm-6pm.

Following her maternity leave, she hosted Sugar Beach at 6pm. Today, she announced she's leaving 102.1 the Edge.

josie

Just prior to her aforementioned maternity leave, Josie visited my home and sat down for a great conversation about her career. You can hear her on episode 132 here.

It's been a long time since 102.1 didn't include the voice of Josie Dye. It'll be interesting to see where she pops up next. I'm told we'll be hearing her voice again in March, so stay tuned...

Brian

My guess is she's heading to Indie88 to do mornings.

December 16, 2016 @ 5:43 PM

@Brian

Yep. She'll start there in March.

December 16, 2016 @ 6:18 PM

Brandon

Based on this Instagram picture of her workstation, is she one of "those people" who keeps every document, audio file and every other file just saved on the Windows desktop itself as the location? ;) And inevitably end up calling the IT folks because Windows is slow loading because it's validating/icon-fetching every single one of those files each boot. Sorry, couldn't help but notice it! Now I can't unsee...

But that aside, the end of a chapter and good to see a new one starting for. I assume since it's a voluntary departure, the March 2017 start date will give her some downtime to relax a bit between gigs and isn't some sort of non-compete-in-the-same-market stipulation?

December 16, 2016 @ 8:29 PM

@Brandon

Exactly. March 2017 lets the non-compete period lapse. This was a voluntary departure.

December 16, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

Felix

Can Indie do anything right?

December 16, 2016 @ 8:53 PM

anonymous

She should have replaced Derringer on Q107 for lot less $.

December 16, 2016 @ 9:09 PM

MIke

She will be a welcome addition to Indie. Their morning show is awful

December 17, 2016 @ 6:05 AM

anne

I always liked her casual playful tone, love of music and the way artists always felt comfortable in her presence. I think the edge dropped the ball.

December 17, 2016 @ 6:28 PM

GDB

The Edge is dropping the ball on a lot of stuff.

December 17, 2016 @ 6:55 PM

John

This is like good news/bad news. I've been hoping she'd leave for years, but not to go to the OTHER station I listen to. I was hoping she'd move to Saskatoon or something.

December 17, 2016 @ 7:54 PM

Dave

Hey anonymous, Lobsterboy is Derringer's replacement

December 18, 2016 @ 8:10 AM

@Dave

Lobsterboy is visiting me in early January. I'll ask him then.

December 18, 2016 @ 10:22 AM

Brian cook

Edge and Q are doing many things wrong right now. Something needs to happen on both spots. Only part of edge that's good is the morning show. Q with Andy frost. That's it. Time to blow them up and fix them

December 18, 2016 @ 2:36 PM

Dave

Both Q and Edge are getting it from 94.9 The Rock

December 19, 2016 @ 9:13 AM

Erin

Ugh...I couldn't stand her on The Edge, or The Edge in general after Dean Blundell joined the team.
Now I find out she's moving to Indie 88, my station of choice.
Can we hope she's far less annoying that usual.

March 15, 2017 @ 4:54 PM

Alex

Add me to the list of non-Josie lovers.
I find her moderately condescending and she tries too hard to be an expert on everything. I cringe whenever I hear her on the air. Oh oh, it's "The world according to Josie" show. (Nobody likes a "know-it-all). She could use a serious dose of humility.
What *really* drives me nuts is her compelling need to press the fader button that lowers the music level so that she can talk all over the song. She even does it halfway through a song. (She loves to hear herself talk). And how many times she has pressed that fade button by mistake ? Just let the f'n music play. I switched over to 88.1 because they were more about the music. Now it's ruined.

March 20, 2017 @ 8:14 AM

max power

well so much for listening to indie 88 on my morning drive... I give her 6 months.. shes a complete and ponderous bore..if you want to make a splash why not hire dean blundell.. does anybody expect a ratings jolt by hiring josie phucking dye???? not bloody likely!

March 20, 2017 @ 6:21 PM

max power

mike is there any way you can do a where are they now? for the cfny staff from days of yore...

March 20, 2017 @ 6:22 PM

@max power

Hit me up with a series of names and we'll see how we do on the fly....

March 20, 2017 @ 8:48 PM

Spirit

Last entry here is 2015, but it's a start.

March 20, 2017 @ 11:09 PM

Irvine

@Max Power

I'm no fan of Josie Dye myself but why would Indie 88 hire Dean Blundell? In case you missed the "indie rock" train in the last..oh 15 years, most of the music is female orientated & appeals to those more "modern" males. The appeal is a lot like what CFNY had in the 80's without the wide bodied format.

You can't come off some joke about taking a shit or deriding some "faggot" and then break out into a Hosier song. "Indie" music stopped appealing to locker room morons the day Death Cab released "Soul Meets Body. It's never looked back. Now, corporate "indie rock" radio hasn't grasped that concept yet. That's why it's fans still want a blow hard in the morning and some "pop tart" chick in the daytime. You think these "alt rock" stations put females in the day part for any other reason than to give their male audience something to masturbate about?

Terrestrial radio seems to champion giving a voice to the mentally dull & retarded. Fortunately in a dozen more years it will be gone & we won't be subjected to it anymore. I guess there is a God.

March 20, 2017 @ 11:16 PM

Sue

I agree with Erin & Alex. Not a fan of Josie's. Indy88 is now 102.1. Very disappointed. Both playing the same song this morning when I was switching back and forth.

April 3, 2017 @ 8:48 PM