Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 205: Chris Zelkovich

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 205In this 205th episode, Mike chats with sports media critic Chris Zelkovich about his years at The Toronto Star and Yahoo! and the current state of Toronto sports media. This episode is exactly 1:14:31.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Chris Zelkovich and me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jonathan Giggs

I always liked reading both Chris Zelkovich and the Mississauga Times. His columns, not about sports, were amusing.

November 22, 2016 @ 7:02 PM

Rob J

This will be another great episode, to be sure. I think a lot of us loved reading Chris to get the exclusive sports-media scoops and gossip back in the day. Getting news from an actual newspaper was certainly a different era.

November 23, 2016 @ 12:12 AM

Anthony

Good podcast, I always enjoy the sports media types, having him back with Shoalts to do a roundtable of sorts would be awesome.

Sadly, I don't think Chris had much passion for your Ken Pompey story.

November 23, 2016 @ 9:44 AM

@Anthony

I knew I was in trouble when he didn't know who Deborah Cox was. :)

November 23, 2016 @ 9:45 AM

Rob J

Re: the Pompey story. Every once in a while, a story crashes into the TM Universe like a meteor and I literally either have no idea what's going on, or I wonder "all that fuss for this!?" This one falls into the 2nd category!

November 23, 2016 @ 9:52 AM

@Rob J

When the K. Pompey story strikes you, it strikes you hard. I've had people tell me it's the best story ever... peak Toronto!

I think you need to be:

1. A Blue Jays fan, and
2. Old enough to have nostalgia for Electric Circus back in the day

1 + 2 usually results in one loving this story. It really is something, trust me.

November 23, 2016 @ 9:55 AM

Anthony

Ill fall in the 'all that fuss is for', but hey, its all in good fun.

November 23, 2016 @ 10:11 AM

RS

Re: 'Summertime Summertime' I was newly minted teen in the summer of 1992, and definitely remember the hook of that track. Thanks for the flashback Mike! Got me dancing in my cube. Any chance its available online for download?

November 23, 2016 @ 10:14 AM

Rob J

TM,

Fair enough! I suppose if Joc Pederson's dad danced on Mel's Rock Pile I'd be pretty jazzed.
(PS. Good for your co-host Elvis to see TFC mount a bit of a comeback last night)

November 23, 2016 @ 10:41 AM

@Rob J

And if Joc Pederson released a song that you managed to uncover!

November 23, 2016 @ 10:42 AM

Chris Zelkovich

Just to clarify, I thought the Pompey story was amazing and even said that Mike had topped Woodward and Bernstein. Greatest scoop in history. Okay, maybe not quite but still a great story.

November 23, 2016 @ 11:15 AM

@Chris Zelkovich

Our chat about The Athletic is timely. They just hired James Mirtle away from the Globe and Mail.

November 23, 2016 @ 11:20 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Re: Mike - "I knew I was in trouble when he didn't know who Deborah Cox was."
Chris don't feel bad, I had no clue who Deborah Cox was either till I seen her on the Celebrity Apprentice.

November 23, 2016 @ 12:25 PM

Edward

I was an avid reader of Chris' Toronto Star column, and was relieved to find his Yahoo! column a few years ago. I get that when you do something for a long time, you lose passion for that something, and the something quickly becomes boring. Nevertheless, glad that you are continuing to report on sports media.

I second the idea to have Chris and Dave Shoalts do a roundtable podcast on sports media.

Even though there has only been one column, it looks like there is another journalist covering Canadian sports media, Jack Todd in Montreal. I give credit to a torontosportsmedia tweet for this information.

November 23, 2016 @ 1:55 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Enjoying the episode as I type... but I wanted to put this offer out there Mike...I own a VCR. I'd be more than happy to lend it to you, or, if you like, you can come up to Holland Landing and we can have a Speaker's Corner viewing party as I'd love to see some of that footage myself.

November 23, 2016 @ 2:53 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

SInce you work in my hood, let's book a time for you to swing by with the VCR so we can check this thing out!

November 23, 2016 @ 2:55 PM

Tdotter

Great hearing from Chris. Please have him back. Great guest.

November 23, 2016 @ 9:54 PM

James Edgar

@ Chris Zelkovich kind of a left field question but did you do a learn to ride motorcycle course at Centennial college ashtonbee campus in May 2005?

I met someone there who wrote for the Star and we kept in touch a bit but not for long. I think his name was Chris.

November 24, 2016 @ 10:02 AM