Getting to Say Goodbye in Radio

Last week I was chatting with Chris Zelkovich about Toronto's sports radio stations. I asked him to imagine what might happen if Bob McCown left 590 for the same timeslot on 1050. In this scenario, do you think Bob McCown would be permitted to say goodbye to his 590 audience during his last appearance on Prime Time Sports?

I've noticed a trend lately where radio stations are allowing their talent to say goodbye, even when they've quit for a job at a competitor station. This just happened Friday when Corus-owned Q107 allowed Maureen Holloway to say goodbye to her listeners, even though Maureen has left Q to replace Erin Davis on Rogers-owned CHFI.

It's not just Corus extending such a courtesy. Central Ontario Broadcasting's Indie88 let morning show host Raina Douris say goodbye as she left to host mornings on CBC Radio 2. That was very decent of them. And Bell let Darren B. Lamb say goodbye on CHUM-FM when he left to replace Mike Cooper on CHFI. Sure, there was a long pause between those two gigs, but it was still a kind gesture.

In all of these instances, the radio personality resigned. When the personality is fired, there are still no goodbyes. Jason Barr didn't get to say goodbye, Todd Shapiro didn't get to say goodbye, Jeff Woods didn't get to say goodbye and Maddog didn't get to say goodbye. I suspect the station doesn't want to deal with the inevitable blowback when one's favourite radio host is canned. The exception here is when they let someone go and spin it as a retirement. Christine Bentley suffered such a fate at Bell-owned CTV.

I've had radio veterans tell me the worst part of getting fired is being unable to say goodbye. Imagine a future where this isn't the case and every employee is treated with kindness and decency. I like to think we're getting there.

Brian

Take it from a radio guy that "was able to say goodbye"

We have the ability to Podcast now, write Facebook posts and tweet the truth. They either let us say goodbye in a nice way or we tell the whole truth.

The industry isn't getting nicer, it's getting scared.

No one's job is safe, PD's know that for many, this is their last job. They'd rather be nice now then need to be looking for a spot where the new guy is.

November 28, 2016 @ 6:40 PM

Handsome Rob

Maybe if someone was doing heir job and not putting out surveys I'd have known Maureen left Q!!!!!!! :p

I'm glad they let her say goodbye. Always liked her in the morning with John, not so much in the afternoon. Good luck to her.

November 28, 2016 @ 8:33 PM

@Handsome Rob

I tweeted about it Friday!

November 28, 2016 @ 9:04 PM

Anonymous

Why just radio.....it happens on TV as well
The morning show on Global Is a huge culprit.
Liza Frommer is the only reason I watched that show. The new host replacement has no personality. I had switched from BT...but I am
Back with them
When Global gets it right I may rethink....until then BT is Better television...the morning show is....the moaning show.

November 28, 2016 @ 11:24 PM

Mike Czech

Indie88 Morning Show is crap. Always has been since the days of Brian Bailey. Raina was mildly decent, but, with so much regulation from CRTC, creativity is stagnant... The Morning Affirmation bit was the crappiest experience in the history of morning radio. It was never funny. The DJs now are even worse lol complaining about how they cannot afford their Presto pass to an entire audience trapped in cars on the 401... Chances are, if these aging hipsters cannot afford enough change for a bus route, their demographic isn't wasting data usage on the streetcar to listen to the most garbage program ever.

Edge sucks, Q is boring, CHFI isn't entertaining...

The problem isn't the medium of Radio... It's the personalities. Radio, much like the ecosystem, needs diversity in order to survive. Aging, disgruntled Caucasian broadcasters with no sensibility of the multiculturalism Toronto has become are so out of touch and it shows every time. When one of these "broadcasters" has to recite a long and complex, unfamiliar name, it's always "whoa that's a name I cannot say..." - it's that kind of white privilege that negates listeners towards podcasts and other media... And the other question is, why the F are these people in RADIO if they cannot speak or pronounce cultural names?! It's 2016 and they live in the most culturally diverse city in the WORLD.

November 29, 2016 @ 3:10 AM

Mike Czech

Edge sucks, Q is boring, CHFI isn't entertaining...

November 29, 2016 @ 3:10 AM

Rob J

More and more, the single-biggest factor that keeps me from listening to more radio (and I've been a die-hard radio listener since I was 12ish) is the insufferable pile of crapola known as the commercials.

November 29, 2016 @ 8:09 AM

McNulty

Mike Czech makes some excellent points.

I know I am not a key demographic but I am a forty-two year old white guy that has the opportunity to listen to the radio a lot. Until recently I had an old crappy car that didn't have Bluetooth or satellite radio. I was forced to listen to terrestrial radio. It has become harder and harder to listen to.

Jim Richards is a great example of someone who shows an ineptitude with pronunciation. It's not funny. It is not endearing. It is ignorant and shows a complete lack of respect for the person to whom they are addressing.

I love radio. I once wanted to be a radio broadcaster and even went to two years of broadcasting school. It wasn't the career for me. Perhaps I am more critical. I am not a wannabe. I am a consumer and I have now avoided most stations since most hosts are not funny. They don't appear to do the research for topics that they should.

Last thing...look at Newstalk 1010's programming.....white guy..white guy..white..two white guys. This is once of the largest broadcasters to the city of Toronto which is one of the most diverse in the world. Yet our media fails to represent that.

Anyway...my ramblings are over.

November 29, 2016 @ 8:31 AM

Ryan G

Since I changed jobs in May, I barely use a car, so the conventional way of consuming radio has disappeared for me. Having said that, I now stream 1010 in the morning while getting ready for work, but that's the extent of my radio consumption for the most part. I cycle to work so I figure listening to something in my earbuds may lead to me getting the business end of a Buick.

As for Indie 88, I didn't mind Raina, but I always thought Matt was the best of the bunch. He's just a regular dude who drinks at my Local sometimes. That brian bailey/candice combo was somewhat terrible in my view. And, Rick the temp on the edge? Jeeezus. Was never a fan of that guy. Seems weasely to me. Musically i still pop in to Indie mostly to see if I can catch something interesting though - new music is still incredibly important to me.

I recall many years ago, oftentimes my dad would drop me off some mornings at Kennedy TTC station as i headed downtown to university. In his car, Wally Crouter was on the radio on 1010. That guy sounded 400 years old to me. I mentioned that I stream 1010 now in the morning, so I wonder if Bill Carroll sounds 400 to the average 19 year old kid.

On an unrelated note, some screaming homeless guy was walking and blocking the cycling lane on Richmond today, complete with extra wide bum coat and two wide ass carts. I told him this was the cycling lane, not the Dirty Hobo lane. He laughed and then we laughed together. It was beautiful. Merry Christmas everyone!

November 29, 2016 @ 9:18 AM

Boomer

Glad you let me know Maureen left Q. I stopped listening when she moved to afternoons there. Kim Mitchell told music stories and was interesting while her show was like listening to Entertainment Tonight.
I enjoyed her 5 minute segments in the morning when she was first on Q. She was way too much on her own and in my opinion way too full of herself. I can't see the CHFI listener appreciating her.

November 29, 2016 @ 9:50 AM

Anonymous

Radio Beef...
I used to work in the biz, but left 16yrs ago. I have been a talk radio consumer for years and used to flip from The Fan to 640 to 1010.
About 5yrs ago I started listening to 1010 almost exclusively as 640 gutted their newsroom and too often rely on uninformed callers for content.
Recently I find myself turning off 1010. When Dave Agar left the newsroom, they lost a ton of credibility.
1010 still has some great content. I enjoy the morning show panels....but the rest has gone tabloid, including the newsroom.
I have had it with the constant teasers:
"You're not going to believe what's next....." "....and you're not going to believe what happened"
This isn't ET or TMZ. It's supposed to be a newscast.
Tune out 100% of the time.
Not sure if the was Bendixen's decision, or a consulatant.

End of rant

November 29, 2016 @ 1:42 PM

Steve Garrison

Should let you know, when I got let go by bell media ( CJBK) after being walked out the door after 40 years, I had an opportunity to say goodbye to my listeners and long time clients on AM 980 here in London Ontario.
Corus radio, gave me a whole hour to take calls and offer thanks . I will never forget their kind gesture which provided closure .

November 29, 2016 @ 2:17 PM

Miker

"I didn't get the chance to say goodbye" is a steaming pile of horseshit. "I didn't get the chance to tell you why this is my last show" is almost 98% reality. Phony radio sentimentality. It's just a job.

November 29, 2016 @ 2:50 PM

Rob J

@Steve Garrison

My brother was a huge fan of yours during your stint at 1290. (I don't live in the market). He was irate when he heard you were 'moving on'. Cheers.

November 29, 2016 @ 3:14 PM

Ryan G

edit re my entry above: not bill carroll...john moore....these honky's sound all the same..

November 30, 2016 @ 9:02 AM

Miker

I love Maureen. She's one of the best to work with. It will be interesting to hear her sometimes caustic wit on a show that has catered to the politically correct Leaside Lucys for the past 30 years!

November 30, 2016 @ 2:16 PM

Annie R

You forgot Special Ed at Virgin Radio. They let him say goodbye last Friday night. It was sweet. He cried.

November 30, 2016 @ 10:41 PM

DUTCH

@ Rob J and Mike

My work vehicle has an AM/FM radio and crank windows ghetto, My problem with radio is the music There is so much content and variety out there as listeners we should never have to hear the same song 10 times in one day. Whether it be a classic rock station or other genre. Things should be just like back in the day of no repeat workday. We have sirius in my wifes car but even they repeat a lot of tunes. Just Sayin. Oh Ya the commercials are brutal as well.

December 1, 2016 @ 3:17 PM

Sully

@ Anonymous

I agree about 1010. I always bounced around between 1010 and 640, but after the recent 640 scheduling changes, I find myself listening almost entirely to them. Other than Moore's 2morning panels, I listen to 640. Then, it's Stafford, then Tasha, then mostly Cutrara, although she gets tiresome quickly, then Oakley. Not much 1010 in there...

December 2, 2016 @ 10:13 AM

FmCallum

I am glad to see that Erin is leaving CHFI I stop listening to them after they kept Julie Adams and the music they play is all bubble gum music and It all Christmas music is very tiring and very repetive

December 5, 2016 @ 11:00 AM

SP

Erin leaving CHFI - Yes! Ding gone, witch is gone. Most fake self-aggrandizing person ever!

January 2, 2017 @ 7:03 PM

Adam Armstrong

Loved Mo when she was on Derringer in the Morning. She was funny then. Then she's off for some weeks, comes back in the afternoon with John Scoles and she become boring in the afternoon. Never got her jokes then. She should have stayed on the morning show.

January 10, 2017 @ 11:36 PM