Cubs Win! Cubs Win!

After 108 years, the Cubs have finally won the World Series. What a game!

That's a long drought, and immediately I thought of my Leafs. I've never seen them play in a Stanley Cup final, as their last appearance was in 1967. But there are franchises with far longer droughts than my Leafs.

Here are teams franchises with longer championship droughts than the Toronto Maple Leafs.

1. Arizona Cardinals since 1947
  2. Cleveland's MLB team since 1948
  3. Sacramento Kings since 1951
  4. Detroit Lions since 1957
  5. Atlanta Hawks since 1958
  6. Philadelphia Eagles since 1960
  7. Texas Rangers since 1961
  8. Tennessee Titans since 1961
  9. Houston Astros since 1962
  10. San Diego Chargers since 1963
  11. Buffalo Bills since 1965
  12. Atlanta Falcons since 1966

Yes, I've included franchises that have relocated or rebranded, because it makes me feel better. Someday, we'll go all the way, too.

Ryan G

Neil deGrasse Tyson had a great tweet:

"The last time the Cubs won the world series, Real Estate developer Donald Trump was running for President"

November 3, 2016 @ 9:26 AM

Matt

I'm surprised the indians crashed so hard. Either way a drought has ended.

Congrats to the cubs. The indians have a good team though. Cant believe how great Miller was for the indians.

November 3, 2016 @ 10:01 AM

m m

Yes, definitely happy for them. Also, thank you for putting up the "at least we're not as bad as" list. Makes people feel better about their crappy team history.

November 3, 2016 @ 10:03 AM

RockGolf

Wouldn't the Expos/Nationals also qualify for this list? At least if you count the beginning of the 1967 baseball season.

November 3, 2016 @ 10:32 AM

@RockGolf

But didn't the Expos start in 1969?

November 3, 2016 @ 10:36 AM

Rob J

The Cleveland nickname and logo is a 10 on the 'offensive scale' but the talk in the media and among fans about 'curses being lifted' is straight out of the Medieval era

November 3, 2016 @ 10:48 AM

@Rob J

I've been hoping those who speak of curses are doing so in jest. Sport and silly superstitions seem to converge often.

There was no curse, but there was one helluva drought. 108 years.... I'm almost sorry to see it go!

November 3, 2016 @ 11:18 AM

James Edgar

Glad the cubs won. Hard for me to be to be a fan of Cleveland for some reason.

The superstition stuff makes me a bit crazy but i can kind of see how how the fans could start to latch on to them after reading some cubs history. A couple of pretty epic collapses in their history.

@ Mike yes the expos started in 69

November 3, 2016 @ 12:25 PM

H.o.E.

The Cubs previous championship, 1908, predates the Titanic (1912), WWI (1914-18), ...
Not that I'm old enough to remember, but for a lot of that time there was only 16 MLB teams (eight teams each in the NL and AL), until expansion started in the 1960s.
Now that the major North American pro team sports leagues have 30 or 32 teams, it's almost unavoidable that some teams will end up going 100 years without winning a championship.

November 3, 2016 @ 1:04 PM

Rob J

@TM
I know you share my appreciation for baseball history. The historic nature of the night cannot be over-stated. I feel so sorry for people who don't like sports!

November 3, 2016 @ 4:15 PM

@Rob J

Fantastic game... so glad it didn't end at 3am!

November 3, 2016 @ 4:16 PM

Rob J

As a Dodger fan, I'm used to the occasional late night, but I can't imagine what it must have been like for fans of Cleveland and the Cubs! Best game 7 since 1991 (though upon reflection I may one day claim it to be the best). The NHL is going to seem so boring now, haha.

November 3, 2016 @ 4:33 PM

Blind Dave

I had fun jumping on the Cubs band wagon since the beginning of the playoffs.

I told my wife the rain delay might just help the Cubs, as the momentum was clearly in Cleveland's favour going into extra innings. I wasn't calling a win by any means, as the Cubs are great at throwing good fortune away, but this time they did it.

Congrats on breaking the drought (no, there was no curse!).

November 3, 2016 @ 10:12 PM

McNulty

I am more curious as to what major city has been without a championship for the longest time.

Cleveland had the Cavs last year.
Arizona had the Diamondbacks in 1998.
Detroit has the Red Wings...they have won a few.
Atlanta had the Braves in 1995.
Phillies won in 2008.

Anyway...you get where I am going with this....

November 4, 2016 @ 8:00 AM

Steven

Was really hoping the Toronto Blue Jays could have matched up better against the Indians. But happy to see the Cubs finally win after all these years.

November 6, 2016 @ 2:26 PM