Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 202: Christopher Ward

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 202In this 202nd episode, Mike chats with former MuchMusic Veejay Christopher Ward about his years on City Limits and MuchMusic, co-writing Black Velvet for Alannah Myles and his recent dive into the Much archives for Is This Live?. This episode is exactly 1:14:04.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Christopher Ward and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Brandon

Fantastic episode! Nicely done. You were able to keep the conversational flow even over Skype. Christopher is a articulate guy and I enjoyed his comments. Great to hear the Much archives are solid. I was aware of the Mike Myers "Canada" book but Christopher's mention of the upcoming Denise Donlon one is actually the first time I heard about it - I see it's coming out in a few days. A future guest, Mike? :)

October 31, 2016 @ 10:39 PM

@Brandon

I must admit, I was worried about this episode. A big part of what I do depends on reading the guest's body language and eyes. I wasn't sure I could do my thing via Skype, but I think it worked out.

And I really wanted to talk MuchMusic with Christopher Ward. I spent many hours watching that station and Ward was the original VJ.

Thanks for listening!

October 31, 2016 @ 11:15 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Great podcast, turned out better than I thought actually.

November 1, 2016 @ 9:40 AM

Douglas

@Mike
I expect it would be a tall order, but Denise Donlon could be an excellent guest.

November 1, 2016 @ 10:44 AM

MIke

Gosh - I used to listen Ward on CKPT in Peterborough in the early 70's. When He found his success with Morrisette I never made the connection right away. He's 67!!

November 1, 2016 @ 4:35 PM

@MIke

Not Morrisette, Myles!

November 1, 2016 @ 4:52 PM

LCP

Excellent interview, however I feel that Chris Ward is slightly "revising" the history of Much. For those of us who were teenagers at the time when MuchMusic started it was clearly obvious that Erica Ehm's interviewing skills needed a lot of improvement. I know Christopher Ward said they were music experts and she had been a DJ in Montreal, but it certainly didn't show. I remember when Ed's Night Party was on Cable 10 with Eric Tunney, they had running jokes about her trying to walk and chew gum at the same time.
I haven't read the book, I have it on hold at the library, so maybe he does address the subject. Steve Anthony wasn't much better when he started and he was the boy in the box!
I would second you having Denise Donlon on the show, she quickly rose up ranks at Much and was able to use people's strengths to their advantage.

November 1, 2016 @ 10:15 PM

Sandra

I second having Denise Donlon or even Laurie Brown. Denise always seemed to me like the smartest woman in the room at Much.

IIRC Ehm started out as receptionist at Much and through her connection to Znaimer was moved into a VJ role. She did get a bit better with time..if I'm being kind.

Out of the first generation of hosts, Michael Williams, Laurie Brown and Ward were much stronger hosts and interviewers.

November 2, 2016 @ 12:30 PM

Erica & Iggy

Gotta admit the Erica Ehm\Iggy Pop interview was a classic!

@TM
If you can snag Denise Donlon, maybe you could get her to bring her hubby along as well. That would be quite the snag.

November 2, 2016 @ 9:26 PM

@Erica & Iggy

Great idea!

November 2, 2016 @ 9:31 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode Mike! I think it worked over skype because Ward is in book publicity mode right now and ready with stories that he's probably had to repeat over and over in the last few weeks.

I have a feeling that if he were a guest where you had to build rapport to warm them up for better answers, skype wouldn't work so well. I would stick to your rule of in-person interviews wherever possible.

November 3, 2016 @ 9:37 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

Without a doubt, my strong preference is to lure a guest into my basement.

But it's good to know this option exists.

November 3, 2016 @ 9:41 AM

Brandon

@Sandra

Kim Clarke Champniss would be a fun Toronto Mike "get" too while we think of retro Much'ers. I didn't realize until looking him up a minute ago for this comment that he had a book also.

Toronto Mike needs to "collect the whole set". Not just books about or by MuchMusic-affiliated people, I mean, but appearances by their authors on the podcast too. :)

November 3, 2016 @ 5:49 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Great Episode Mike. When Much went on the air it truly was ground breaking, and the format out shone it's USA counter part.
Can't believe how many years ago it was.
I guess you can now say Vimeo killed the Much Music VJ Star, okay it was a stretch joke.

November 3, 2016 @ 9:00 PM

Sandra

@Brandon
I would add Kim Clarke Champniss to the list also. Interesting article I often wondered why he went by 3 names like Terry David Mulligan.

November 4, 2016 @ 11:44 AM

It only makes sense I have on Terry David Mulligan since I had Stu Jeffires on previously. Stu replaced Terry on Good Rockin' Tonight and Terry left for the MuchMusic gig. http://www.torontomike.com/2016/01/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_153.html

November 4, 2016 @ 11:49 AM

I spoke to Denise Donlan last night about appearing on Toronto Mike'd. She said she'd love to, but in person sometimes people just say that to be nice.

So I'm following up and will do my best to make it happen. It was great meeting her last night, regardless. I also got to meet Kim Clarke Champniss, Michael Williams (although I had met him before), Master T, Laurie Brown, Ziggy and Simon Evans.

November 5, 2016 @ 11:35 AM

Brandon

@Toronto Mike - Sounded like a great evening with all those former Much VJ luminaries in attendance. Donlan would be a great "get" - what a career in its stages and lots of stories to tell I'm sure. The new book might have her caught up in a bit of whirlwind publicity for it - maybe when it settles after a few weeks or early in the new year.

I was surprised that Ward, during the podcast, didn't know the term "yacht rock"! I thought that was a fairly common "sub-genre" category label. :) Mike Bullard during his 1010 show used to occasionally refer to it.

November 5, 2016 @ 1:10 PM

@Brandon

I was surprised by that, too. Although I only heard the term for the first time about a year ago. Then, this summer I borrowed a car with SiriusXM for an east coast road trip and spent a little time on their Yacht Rock station. Lots of Hall & Oates!

November 5, 2016 @ 1:19 PM

Jody Thornton

Just getting a chance to listen to this episode now. Yacht Rock ???? I guess it's a real term ...lol. So Kenny Loggins, would that include "Heart to Heart" or "Keep the Fire Burning" on Sirius/XM? LOL.

Just have to admit a guilty pleasure. I always like "Once In a Lifetime" by Christopher Ward. I was in grade 3 when it came out, and I think CFTR played it.

January 31, 2017 @ 9:17 PM

Brandon

@Jody - "Yacht Rock" definitely a real term. :) This tracklisting I'd say is pretty representative!

January 31, 2017 @ 9:44 PM