Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 199: Christine Bentley and Kate Wheeler

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 199In this 199th episode, Mike chats with chats with broadcasters Christine Bentley and Kate Wheeler about their years in television news and their new show What She Said. When you listen, I might say it's episode 198, but it's really 199. This episode is exactly 1:32:15.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

20161020_162411_HDR

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Aaron

Love the honesty!

October 20, 2016 @ 10:25 PM

Albert Reda

Mike, thank you for asking Christine if her "retirement" was her choice. And thank you Christine for telling the truth.

Great "convo". :)

October 21, 2016 @ 9:38 AM

Edward

I was hoping you would ask each of them the relationship they had with Ken Shaw. You did ask them about Gibney, Devall, and Robertson.

October 21, 2016 @ 2:37 PM

@Edward

I'm surprised I didn't miss more. I'm used to one on one... this one on two is tough!

October 21, 2016 @ 2:53 PM

Barry

October 21, 2016 @ 6:56 PM

Barry

Good episode, but I had a problem with the iTunes file. It shows as the proper length, but it stops at 1:07:28. It could just be my phone, but I've never encountered this problem before. And I thought it worth mentioning since you said on Twitter that the Google Play version is 1:07 ... which seemed like too much of a coincidence.

October 21, 2016 @ 6:58 PM

I heard about this "1:07" issue yesterday and started troubleshooting.

The MP3 is fine - and definitely 1:32 in length.
The XML is fine with the proper links and length (1:32:15)
The server is fine as I can play all 1:32 in multiple browsers and in my instance of iTunes.

So I don't know why some have it stop at 1:07 although I assure everyone the MP3 is actually 1:32 and available at http://torontomike.podcastaccelerator.com/199-october-20-2016.mp3

October 21, 2016 @ 8:19 PM

Anonymous

I really enjoyed listening to this podcast. I think they really nailed it when they were talking about there being no mentoring for younger people. This is not only true in broadcasting/journalism but across other fields. The quality of work is decreasing. That's definitely been my experience. That being said, I also feel that in situations where mentoring is available, rather than seizing the opportunity, many young people are of the mind that they don't need it and probably know more than the "old", experienced employee.

October 21, 2016 @ 11:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Nice to see broadcasters able to build their own brand, like H&F have. They have all this talent and experience from decades in media and they are building their own niche.
Proves you are never too old to try something new. Congratulations to them, as it sounds like a lot of work.

October 22, 2016 @ 7:13 AM

the brother

Does anyone remember Gail Smith at CFTO? Wasn't there some controversy about her shoving a cleaning lady lol. I don't think Tom Gibney had the same affection for her that he had for Kate! Also many years later, Gail popped up on the new VR. I believe she was the first female co-anchor at the 6pm WorldBeat when all the desks started expanding. Would have liked to hear Christine's perspective on that bit of newsroom gossip.

Oh and you didn't mention those drums on the NightBeat intro lol

October 22, 2016 @ 8:37 AM

Rob J

TM,
Excellent job handling the 1 on 2 dynamic! Great flow to the episode. One of the services you've provided with your series is exposing the shameful treatment of 'women of a certain age' within the broadcast media business. The fact that Ms. Bentley had to pretend she was leaving on her own accord is disgraceful.

October 22, 2016 @ 6:39 PM

Aidan

Wasn't Dave Devall given a 2-month send-off? I remember it was announced on a Wednesday that Christine would be leaving on the Friday and the reason for the short notice was that she didn't want any hoopla. More like CTV didn't want any hoopla for firing her and replacing her with a much younger woman. It makes me sick that Christine was fired and replaced with a younger female anchor while Ken Shaw who is as old as a dinosaur got to stay. Sexism?

October 23, 2016 @ 9:51 PM

Ima Fakeologist

Mike,
Pretty good show - how do these "veterans" not know how to kiss a mic? Christine was impossible to hear, and Kate wasn't much better going to and fro over the mic. You on the other hand were loud and clear, but it's the guest we want to hear!

Incidentally, they need help with their website. I couldn't find any podcasts to download, and won't try again.

Can you post links to their sites, since their site name is too complex to remember?

Thanks for the mention the other day.

PS: to live up to my name, I'm suspicious of Kate's stabbing story. When a law is passed after a media personality is involved, you must question it.

October 24, 2016 @ 8:11 PM

@Ima Fakeologist

I didn't think they sounded bad. If you want someone loud on the mic, you want Humble in episode 200. That man gets right on it and projects.

What about Kate's stabbing story do you find suspect? She was stabbed in a public mall by a delusional schizophrenic. They literally made a five part documentary series about it. What detail there do you question?

October 24, 2016 @ 8:38 PM

Colton_Cash

@the brother: I would love it if TorontoMike actually got Gail Smith to come in and talk for his podcast. Even though she's still in Toronto, she seems to have lived a really quiet life for decades and doesn't seem to even be working.

I've always been curious about her side of the story regarding the good old CFTO days, we've only heard the more notorious stuff about her from those who hated her... never know what was truth and what was just deliberate attempts to malign her name.

October 25, 2016 @ 6:25 PM

the brother

Great idea, @c-Cash!!!

October 30, 2016 @ 12:10 AM

Simpsons Fan

The Simpsons character Kent Brockman was based on Los Angeles anchormen Hal Fishman and Jerry Dunphy... not Lloyd Robertson. Al Jean and Matt Groening confirm this in the audio commentary of the show...

January 29, 2017 @ 4:30 PM