Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Jason from Sudbury

What's up with the Leafs? Are they trying to pull an Oilers move and get another first pick in next year's draft? Geez. They were winning 4-0 in Winnipeg Wednesday night and they manage to lose 5-4 in overtime, lost last night to Minisota, and I'm guessing they'll probably lose to Chicago tomorrow night.

October 21, 2016 @ 8:19 AM

Cheryl

Okay. I'm second. Cheer for a good team, the Habs. Look at them, but they beat my Coyotes handily. I was hoping it would go to OT. Anyway, Leafs are no good. Anyway, Packers won last night which is a win for my pool, but I need a winning weekend. Anyway, Indians are winning the World Series. It's their year. Orioles will win it next year.

October 21, 2016 @ 8:25 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

Fun team to watch but not collecting all the points? Perfect!

I wouldn't mind one more solid prospect... preferably a defenceman.

Last season was no fun at all until they brought up the kids. I'm just happy this season has been fun since game one. But as Wilner says, it's early.

October 21, 2016 @ 8:28 AM

mrmojorisinca

I'll take another top draft pick to for a defensemen
As long as they stay competitive, the kids are fun to watch..
I know its early but hope the goaltending gets a little stronger sooner rather then later.

October 21, 2016 @ 9:20 AM

Rob J

What are people's favourite songs they would be hesitant to admit liking? 'Like a Prayer' by Madonna is right up there.

October 21, 2016 @ 11:20 AM

m m

Sorry, I have to ask, in case it wasn't asked before - you're buddies with H&F again?

October 21, 2016 @ 11:23 AM

mrmojorisinca

Anything by Def Leppard :) guilty pleasure.

October 21, 2016 @ 11:28 AM

Andy

My Panthers are off to a steady start too; 2-1 with victories over New Jersey and Detroit and beaten last night by a clearly better Capital team. All eyes remain on the Cubs though, as they're a win away from the World Series. They've done this once before in my life (Thanks Bartman!), so the surrealness is still there. Kershaw's a tall order for tomorrow night, but belief is a great thing.

October 21, 2016 @ 11:29 AM

Ben V

Hero by Nickleback
Higher by Creed

October 21, 2016 @ 11:38 AM

Ryan G

@Rob J

Bif Naked - Spaceman

Haddaway - What is Love - but, only the extended version , as i got hooked on it when i'd play it at parties i dj'd years ago

October 21, 2016 @ 11:43 AM

@m m

I was never not buddies with them. Last November I decided to take a break, that's all.

October 21, 2016 @ 12:37 PM

@Rob J

Those early Creed hits and Nickelback's The State album for sure...

I also really like Kelly Clarkson's Since U Been Gone.

Oh! And Miley Cyrus's Can't Stop. I have to sing along to that one...

October 21, 2016 @ 12:39 PM

Karen V

Congrats to Humble and Fred on the new studio and glad to hear Mike is working with them again.

Would be nice to not have to listen to the very awkward and somewhat revolting Todd Shapiro as a guest.

He made a very strange pedophilia joke today, and seems generally full of himself. His show must be awful...

October 21, 2016 @ 7:10 PM

The Ref

I love it! Renewal of the anonymous H&F fights with anonymous Blundell and Todd!

October 21, 2016 @ 7:39 PM

dale

Is Trump or Clinton behind the internet attacks at Dyn? Both could be guilty for different reasons.
Leafs? 4 games winning in 3rd period & lose 3 - 2 in O/T & last night. At least rookies are playing to the best of their ability. How much more can U ask 4. Goalies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Argos R Gone. Who cares.
Jays - have to be happy with what they did this year. Wildcard (win), Texas ALDS (win) & lose to Shapiro's former team. Francona by far out managed Gibby, especially with top 2 pitchers not available. Gotta sign Edwin a blank cheque & Saunders for hometown discount. Let JBats go & try to find a team with his expectations for next contract, thanks for the memories as U were great.
Got tiks yesterday for Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) concert at ACC for Oct. 2/17. Happy as a pig in $h!t.

October 21, 2016 @ 7:40 PM

Brandon

The Nickelback talk up there had me thinking of this article from last week's NOW:

How I Learned To Stop Worrying About Being Cool and Appreciate Canrock

I hadn't even though of I Mother Earth for ages until I read that. But also its mentions of Our Lady Peace, Tragically Hip of course, and Sloan will have me breaking out some playlists on this rainy, cool weekend!

October 21, 2016 @ 9:19 PM

Andy in Minnesota

I'm a foreigner who loves Canrock (The podcast introduced me to Blue Rodeo, and their album at Massey Hall from a couple years back is awesome). For me it's a nice alternative to what passes as the majority of "popular" music today, and in the case of the Hip especially you can really tell its a labour of love as opposed to trying to jockey the charts...but that's just me.

October 21, 2016 @ 11:46 PM

DUTCH

I Cant Wait "Nu Shooz" plants an Incredible mind worm also A song I cant get out of my head, Song In My Head M+M. Canrock Rules for sure. Oskie Wee Wee.

October 22, 2016 @ 12:08 AM

Cheryl

Favourite songs? Well, I like anything by Bob Seger or John Mellencamp as well as Rascal Flatts, Lady Antebellum, or Sean Hogan to name a few. Anyway, my coyotes lost last night. that's no good, but they lost. My Habs will win tonight. Sure they will. They may play the Bruins tough, but they'll still get the two points. Cubs won't win the World Series. It's going to be the Indians. They're a great team. Basketball starts next week as well. Suns, Cavs and Nets will all be great. Cavs over the Raptors on Friday. I just know all this.

October 22, 2016 @ 6:08 AM

Brandon

@Rob J

"Guilty pleasure" songs, I'll combine that mission with a little "CanCon" content shout-out. Yes, they could be called trite and vapid, soaked in 80s drum machine/synth-pop production. By all logic I should not like them! But I've actually heard these in supermarkets within the last year and darned if they aren't catchy.

"Angel In My Pocket" by One To One:

"Dancing Under A Latin Moon" by Candi:
Candy Pennella is a vocal/choir schoolteacher these days apparently.

October 22, 2016 @ 9:42 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I actually don't mind Nickelback's The State Album, and there's a couple songs on Silver Side Up I don't mind either, everything after that I'll pass on.
Creed's first album was good, on the 2nd album the only song I like is "What If", and on the 3rd, "Bullets".

October 22, 2016 @ 11:54 AM

GDB

Cheryl,

Why don't you like any Toronto teams?

October 22, 2016 @ 4:00 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: I just read in your twitter feed that Katfish Morgan has passed away. Do you know what happened?

October 22, 2016 @ 6:50 PM

Brandon

@Jason

The article here mentions cancer. :(

October 22, 2016 @ 7:16 PM

Humble and Fred are dropping by Monday for episode 200. If you have a question for either of them, or both, let me know and I'll ask it for ya.

Christopher Ward is dropping by Friday. If you have a question for Chris Ward, let me know as well!

October 22, 2016 @ 8:02 PM

Cheryl

I'm not a fan of any of the Toronto teams. I don't like them. There's something about them I don't like. Anyway, how about those Habs. It didn't have to go to overtime. Habs won 4 to 2. It was a great game and yes, the price is right. Now let's hope I have a good football day today. I want to have all wins in my pool, as many as I can anyway. The Indians are going to win the World Series. Yes, they'll beat the Cubs probably in six or seven, but they'll win because they're the best this year.

October 23, 2016 @ 5:37 AM

Rob J

@TM
Well the playoffs ended for the Jays and Dodgers the same way as in 1985, the only other year both made the Final 4. I know Jays fans lament Sundberg's 'windblown triple' but a 15 year-old Rob J had the double blow of Ozzie's game winning homer in Game 5 (Jack Buck's "Go crazy folks" call), followed up by Jack Clark's 3-run no-doubter in the 9th in Game 6. Both moments are worth youtubing for the sheer drama and devastation.

October 23, 2016 @ 11:04 AM

This Cubs team is just so strong... and well coached. This is their year.

October 23, 2016 @ 12:24 PM

Cheryl

No, it's the Indians year. The Cubs won't win. The Indians will win in six or seven games. Indians win it this year. Anyway, my Ravens lost. It was not a good game at all. My Cardinals only tied. I'm just not having a good pool., I'm losing it big. My Coyotes lost last night which sucks. Not a good sports weekend, but Indians will win. I just know they will.

October 24, 2016 @ 6:27 AM

markosaar

Parking Ticket Guys!! http://globalnews.ca/video/3013965/toronto-parking-ticket-paralegal-suspended

I remember they/he ripped off H&F a while ago.

October 24, 2016 @ 9:19 AM

Rob J

TM,
Point of clarification: Does the tally of 200 episodes include the 10 gems of YBS?

October 24, 2016 @ 8:18 PM

@Rob J

Nope. So if we include those 10 gems, I guess this is 210. :)

October 24, 2016 @ 8:34 PM

Rob J

I'm glad YBS stands on its own!

October 24, 2016 @ 8:55 PM

@Rob J

I'd insert a joke about you being the only one, but....

The idea for YBS came to me in the shower, and I thought it was great. The format, the structure, the concept... I thought it was stellar.

I still do, but we might be the only ones... I never hear from anyone else who seems to miss it.

October 24, 2016 @ 9:01 PM

Rob J

I only found out about it thanks to a passing reference on a TM episode. I immediately sought it out and haven't looked back!

October 24, 2016 @ 9:04 PM

Cheryl

How about those Habs. Great win. How about Alexander Radulov. He's a great new player. Habs only lost one game in OT to the Senators. They are going to win the cup. Anyway, tonight Cavs will beat the Knicks in the first basketball game of the season. World Series starts tonight as well. Yes, the Indians will win.

October 25, 2016 @ 7:42 AM

Jason from Sudbury

"YBS"? What is that?

October 25, 2016 @ 10:25 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

YBS = Your Blog Sucks. Your Blog Sucks was a stand-alone podcast experiment that lasted ten episodes before I stopped to focus on Toronto Mike'd.

All ten episodes are still online: http://www.torontomike.com/your_blog_sucks_podcast/

In a nutshell, every episode is an airing of grievances.

October 25, 2016 @ 10:33 AM

Rob J

I always feel badly for observers like Argie, Levant, Warmington (well, all of the Sun actually) when a killer isn't of the Muslim persuasion. The alleged serial-killer nurse from Woodstock is Baptist. Maybe next time, boys! Until then, maintain your silence over 8 needless deaths.

October 25, 2016 @ 4:18 PM

Cheryl

How about those Indians. They won because they are the best. 6 to 0. Corey Kluber is a great pitcher. Indians always find a way to win. Roberto Perez homered twice. This team is going to win the World Series. How about those Cavs. They just picked off from where they finished last season. They clobbered the Knicks and look out for them to beat the Raptors on Friday. I don't really want to talk about hockey though. My Coyotes lost. This sucks. Will they ever win again. Oh well, Habs will win tonight. Alex Radulov is awesome and the Price is right.

October 26, 2016 @ 6:08 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Your Blog Sucks...I should've known that! I remember checking it out, but to be honest I completely forgot about it.

October 26, 2016 @ 1:43 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

You're not the only one!

October 26, 2016 @ 1:51 PM

Rob J

I love the YBS discussion! Sometimes I think it only exists in my mind, haha.

October 26, 2016 @ 2:21 PM

The YBS concept is gold. It oughta be a television series.

October 26, 2016 @ 2:23 PM

dale

World Series??
Fave team of course the Jays.
Yankees 30 years ago in 70's was team - Reggie, Thurmon, Chris Chambliss, Guidry, Catfish on & on.
My late Dad & my Uncles team was Cleveland in the 50's & they used to both drive to see games Feller (Dad's fave).
In mid 60's I was already playing BBall & the Chic. Cubs with Ron Santo & especially Fergie Jenkins (CDN) had a team made me follow them. I also followed the Red Sox then, Yastremski triple crown & today Big Papi made a big part of the Red Sox history.

This year - Cleveland or Cubs good luck to both.
P.S. For Cheryl's sake go Cubbies.

October 26, 2016 @ 7:32 PM

Cheryl

Habs won again. They have not had a regulation loss yet. This is great. Baseball last night not so great. My Indians lost. This sucks. Anyway, my Suns and Nets both lost as well in basketball. They didn't win their openers. Anyway, my Cavs will win tomorrow. As I said, my Cavs are picking up where they left off last season. They will beat the Raptors tomorrow. I just know this. Anyway, my parking renter paid me post dated cheques up until December. She called me yesterday saying that they will not have a car in December. They will take cabs to work every day. This means I can't accept the cheque for December. I have to have her come and pick it up. If I throw it away and rip it up, she says she will have to stop payment on it, but if it's ripped up, why do you have to stop payment. I have no idea. Oh, there is curling this weekend. Kean is playing. Hopefully they will win.

October 27, 2016 @ 8:37 AM

GDB

Cheryl.

Right now it looks like trading PK was the right thing to do. The Habs are a much better team than last year.

October 27, 2016 @ 10:31 AM

Jennifer

I heard that Special Ed from Virgin Radio resigned his position. He quit! Know anything about this? He's one of my faves on the radio 😩

October 27, 2016 @ 1:14 PM